Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At this point it might just be easier to remake the game.

Question about Troll Problem:

Apparently you can kill Hargulka first and take kobolds into your kingdom (didn't know that), how does it affect the game down the line? Also, can you stop Emo Dwarf from destroying the anvil?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Honestly, if you know where to go and beeline for the locations without exploring at random, you can get literally everything done in Act 1 (bar Ratnook Hill/Wererats) in about 20-25 days. It's easy to get both all the XP you can and the reward from Jamandi. The order in which to tackle the main missions is Ancient Tomb ---> Stag Temple ---> Sycamore, while visiting as many secondary places as you can on the way.
does that include visiting the river nightmare guy so I can actually rest

I hit Nettle's Crossing on my way to the Ancient tomb. You don't have to wait for the dream to meet the guy, and it allows you to get it out of the way without the nightmares and fatigue.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
People on steam also say casters are weak.

Don't read steam unless you have naturally low blood pressure.

That's what i thought. :) Just wanted to make sure.

1514464865387s.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
The only problem I find with casters is that their damage spells, especially single target, are just bad. As in why would I use, say, hellfire ray at level 12 that does 12d6 damage when I could instead be debuffing enemies for my 31 dex rogue that does 200 damage turn.
Because you might be fighting some enemy with high DR you cannot get through or you are fighting someone that it hard to hit your current targets with weapons and such. In PnP Nok Nok can only watch and die from flying enemies, while that 12d6 ray does not have such problems.
Also you should not using a 12d6 ray. You should be using a empowered Scorching Ray for 18d6 damage and it only costs you 1 lvl 4 slot and you use a quickened Scorching Ray in same round for additional 12d6 and that one is lvl 6 slot.

Gorn

Novice
Before giving up by Chapter 4 (that was 1.03) I made Jaethal into a tank, Heavy Armor feat + teamwork feats, gave her a shield.

She can't use potions and has a low HP pool but never really dies and her overall utility makes her hard to replace (nifty knowledge skills due to INT, gets to spam skelebros, gets to cast cleric spells in a game where you're starved for cleric spells).

Thing is, Inquisitor's lvl 11 class ability requires Medium Armor and below. As my main damage sponge should I have just switched her back into Medium and pumped Inquistor levels all the way?

Old news but to me it really feels like the first true D&D romp since BG2 (and may-ybe ToME though ironically with all its bugs P:K feels more finished than ToME with all the patches). Incomplete and buggy it still beats all kickstarter releases to day. We had brief moments of respite (D:OS1, Dragonfall etc.), 'good for what it is' to 'this will do' respite, but this FINALLY is true incline.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I have to admit and say that my goodwill for the game is starting to evaporate.

I just finished the Womb for the 2nd time and it was anything else except fun. Maybe I'm retarded but the mobs stats are so bloated that my fighter and Amiri were simply missing all their hits (with and without Power Strike penalties).

My party was probably under-leveled for this dungeon (at lvl 9) but the encounters balance seems to be off: in one location I was killing mobs without getting hit and close by I was getting raped by almost the same configuration of mobs (!?). I'm no expert in the intricacies of the combat mechanics but I'm pretty sure this kind of shit should not happen.

Example: My Valerie has 35 AC without buffs (she is also a Stalwart Defender). With buffs she is like 40+ (probably over 45) and these mobs are doing 30-40 dmg to her (!?) I don't understand how this is possible when my fighter with 20+ STR and 19 Attack (without buffs) cannot hit shit. Every mob in this dungeon has like 27+ AC and my specialized character with some of the best two-handed weapons in the game until this point cannot do any damage to some mobs unless he hits a Natural 20. What the fuck!?

And if this is not enough then there is this kind of stuff:
You can rush to the Womb in order to save Kersten but then you will lose Jhod. And if you go to the Capital then Jhod will live but Kersten will die. You cannot save both of them.

Also the Womb's mobs have inflated stats compared to the mobs invading the Capital therefore the better choice is obvious: save the Capital first.

It looks like the game is starting to fell apart after the Troll king quest meaning that if you do the main story quests too fast then the main story will progress faster and most players will not be prepared for what is coming to them.
Basically the recommended play style looks like this: level up your party members as much as possible (while combing the map for XP) and then level up your kingdom. Don't rush to solve main story quests.
If you are lucky then the quests might trigger in a somewhat feasible way otherwise you are fucked.

Now, I will assume that some people will start saying "Git gud!" but the game has some real issues. Too may times the final outcome of some encounters depend on your party pre-positioning or pre-buffing. And the difference is not insignificant; it's between not taking any damage and party wipe. I honestly don't understand how RNG is working in this game.

I need to cool off and probably restart ... next month.

Canus

Savant
I have to admit and say that my goodwill for the game is starting to evaporate.

I just finished the Womb for the 2nd time and it was anything else except fun. Maybe I'm retarded but the mobs stats are so bloated that my fighter and Amiri were simply missing all their hits (with and without Power Strike penalties).

My party was probably under-leveled for this dungeon (at lvl 9) but the encounters balance seems to be off: in one location I was killing mobs without getting hit and close by I was getting raped by almost the same configuration of mobs (!?). I'm no expert in the intricacies of the combat mechanics but I'm pretty sure this kind of shit should not happen.

Example: My Valerie has 35 AC without buffs (she is also a Stalwart Defender). With buffs she is like 40+ (probably over 45) and these mobs are doing 30-40 dmg to her (!?) I don't understand how this is possible when my fighter with 20+ STR and 19 Attack (without buffs) cannot hit shit. Every mob in this dungeon has like 27+ AC and my specialized character with some of the best two-handed weapons in the game until this point cannot do any damage to some mobs unless he hits a Natural 20. What the fuck!?

And if this is not enough then there is this kind of stuff:
You can rush to the Womb in order to save Kersten but then you will lose Jhod. And if you go to the Capital then Jhod will live but Kersten will die. You cannot save both of them.

Also the Womb's mobs have inflated stats compared to the mobs invading the Capital therefore the better choice is obvious: save the Capital first.

It looks like the game is starting to fell apart after the Troll king quest meaning that if you do the main story quests too fast then the main story will progress faster and most players will not be prepared for what is coming to them.
Basically the recommended play style looks like this: level up your party members as much as possible (while combing the map for XP) and then level up your kingdom. Don't rush to solve main story quests.
If you are lucky then the quests might trigger in a somewhat feasible way otherwise you are fucked.

Now, I will assume that some people will start saying "Git gud!" but the game has some real issues. Too may times the final outcome of some encounters depend on your party pre-positioning or pre-buffing. And the difference is not insignificant; it's between not taking any damage and party wipe. I honestly don't understand how RNG is working in this game.

I need to cool off and probably restart ... next month.

You can save both.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm watching the stream. Apparently Owlcat have ran into an issue with sounds and the stream is them trying to resolve it. :)

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
You can save both.

Congratulations. Your game is bugged :)

I've done the Womb quest as fast as possible and then I went to the Capital. First time I've entered the map I could talk with Jhod however he got mortally wounded once I've cleared all the mobs from the map.

On successive reloads, he was still mortally wounded. In other words, you can save both if you game glitched (assuming that the developers went for binary outcomes).

Canus

Savant
You can save both.

I've done the Womb quest as fast as possible and then I went to the Capital. First time I've entered the map I could talk with Jhod however he got mortally wounded once I've cleared all the mobs from the map.

On successive reloads, he was still mortally wounded. In other words, you can save both if you game glitched (assuming that the developers went for binary outcomes).

Hm, it's entirely possible, but I've done it twice so far without any apparent issue arising from it. What I did was go to the Womb, rescue the chap there, leave and go back to the capital, fight off the owlbear, save Jhod, go back to the Womb. I've found if you do it without any pause, sleeping, etc, you can get there before either guy's death timer counts to 0

Vatnik Wumao
Great bug on the stream,
p4yqoCT.jpg

Russian capital of Klykograd must not fall into the hands of generic Anglo fantasy naming conventions.

Speaking of, can you actually rename your capital or are you stuck with the original name?

Andnjord

Arcane
You can save both.

Or

You can tell Kersten to not be an idiot and go back to the capital instead of of going off to some adventures. You have to be Lawful for that though

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jesus, the fucking romance spamming on Twitch.

I also like how nothing was tested before doing the stream.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
nukes being pointless compared to support play, that is

Not sure what ever gave anyone that idea.

Typically casters start very weak but they rule the game from levels 5-15 or so. Near the level cap mobs start to have such high saves and resistances you are better off buffing fighters. Level 5 is where wizards get fireball, that spell alone is a game changer. Fireball was originally supposed to destroy items, Cone of Cold is the non-destructive version, which is why it's 5th level. Over the years the item destruction rule fell by the wayside so now Fireball is just an unusually high powered spell for it's tier. Probably ought to bump it up to 4th or 5th but at this point that would be nearly sacrilegious.

Even at the point where 10d6 damage isn't a lot anymore casters will be getting save or die spells as well as things like Hold Monster and Mass Suggestion that can win whole battles by themselves. I'm guessing part of the issue with the steam forum complaints is monsters having higher saves than they should as well as players expecting too much from casters prior to level 5-7, as well as making the mistake that Linzi, Jaethal, Regongar, and Jubilost are actual casters when they're not, and even Octavia is a level behind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom