Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter Update #54: Releasing on September 25th, Preorder Available

ArchAngel

Arcane
I guess that is the difference between casual gamers and those that have that as main hobby.
I usually play few hours per day and I prefer to replay games I really enjoyed instead of those I might not like.

Shilandra

Learned
After Divinity I'm done with rotatable cameras for a while.

Yeah...those rotate-able cameras are just the worst thing ever...since 1999.

I didn't actually have a problem with the old rotatable cameras

Its was something about divinity's specifically that fucked with me. None of the other cameras, no matter how ornery or figety made me physically exhausted to use.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
You buy the game at launch if you want more games of this genre to be made. Obviously it makes more sense to wait but I want isometric RPGs to continue. POE2 flopping is already a huge problem for the genre

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I guess that is the difference between casual gamers and those that have that as main hobby.
I usually play few hours per day and I prefer to replay games I really enjoyed instead of those I might not like.

I don’t have time to do anything for a few hours a day after work, family obligations, gym, personal obligations like investments and home upkeep, etc. let alone gaming. I suspect most people who grew up with ultima or wizardry or fallout or the IE games are in same situation. I can sometimes get a couple days to binge a game every once in a blue moon, otherwise 0-4 hours per week. Up through college sure there was time but afterwards there’s no way.

Drowed

Arcane
You buy the game at launch if you want more games of this genre to be made.

Well, yeah. My point is that 'season passes' discourage you from doing just that. It's simply much more advantageous to buy the game in its final "game of the year" version or whatever the name. The only real motivation of buying the game at launch would be as an incentive for the producers, but if you want to have a good experience with the game, most of the time the best choice is to wait.

That is, speaking about the RPGs released in recent years, we had the following 'revised' versions: Divinity Original Sin Enhanced, Original Sin 2 Enhanced (coming soon), ICY: Frostbite Edition, Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut, Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition, Wasteland 2 Director's Cut, and maybe more. Also, we had Pillars of Eternity "Balance Patches" and Torment: Tides of Numenera "companion update". This is... Well, a fucking lot. Basically all new RPGs released in recent years have undergone some kind of revision or received an extended version. Put the season pass on top and what the hell, it makes no sense to play a game on its release if it will clearly be a worse version. It's sad.

Edit:
I think the season passes "work" (if I can even say that) in competitive and online games because of the very nature of the thing: the central part of the players experience is precisely the confrontation with other players, so the updates serve as way to renew interest and increase the number of players online. Each new expansion/DLC brings a new peak of players, even if momentary.

But looking calmly, it's easy to see that this same mechanism applies quite differently in single-player games.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

I don’t have time to do anything for a few hours a day after work, family obligations, gym, personal obligations like investments and home upkeep, etc. let alone gaming. I suspect most people who grew up with ultima or wizardry or fallout or the IE games are in same situation. I can sometimes get a couple days to binge a game every once in a blue moon, otherwise 0-4 hours per week. Up through college sure there was time but afterwards there’s no way.
Well in that case gym and home upkeep seem to be your main hobby and not gaming :P

ArchAngel

Arcane
You buy the game at launch if you want more games of this genre to be made.

Well, yeah. My point is that 'season passes' discourage you from doing just that. It's simply much more advantageous to buy the game in its final "game of the year" version or whatever the name. The only real motivation of buying the game at launch would be as an incentive for the producers, but if you want to have a good experience with the game, most of the time the best choice is to wait.

That is, speaking about the RPGs released in recent years, we had the following 'revised' versions: Divinity Original Sin Enhanced, Original Sin 2 Enhanced (coming soon), ICY: Frostbite Edition, Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut, Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition, Wasteland 2 Director's Cut, and maybe more. Also, we had Pillars of Eternity "Balance Patches" and Torment: Tides of Numenera "companion update". This is... Well, a fucking lot. Basically all new RPGs released in recent years have undergone some kind of revision or received an extended version. Put the season pass on top and what the hell, it makes no sense to play a game on its release if it will clearly be a worse version. It's sad.

Edit:
I think the season passes "work" (if I can even say that) in competitive and online games because of the very nature of the thing: the central part of the players experience is precisely the confrontation with other players, so the updates serve as way to renew interest and increase the number of players online. Each new expansion/DLC brings a new peak of players, even if momentary.

But looking calmly, it's easy to see that this same mechanism applies quite differently in single-player games.
Two more reason to play it right away:
1. Hype - being excited to play the game and it turning out great makes it a more fun experience than playing few months/years later when there is no hype
2. Interaction with other players - later there will less new players to talk to and less players in general. Whatever discussion you may join it will be much different at that point.

Mortmal

Arcane
You buy the game at launch if you want more games of this genre to be made. Obviously it makes more sense to wait but I want isometric RPGs to continue. POE2 flopping is already a huge problem for the genre
So true even if its average, POE2 flopping is catastrophic for the genre. Same thing happened with grimrock 2, we get no dungeon crawlers anymore.
Of course there's nothing going faster on steam sales than a rpg, so its already doomed.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron

Well in that case gym and home upkeep seem to be your main hobby and not gaming :P

That’s like saying personal hygiene is a hobby lol

ArchAngel

Arcane

Not even close. That does not take hours per day from gaming.

Shadenuat

Arcane
even when I worked 5/2, 1.5 hours to work and back (left at 7:20 am, returned home 20:00, no car + rush hours in subway, bus>subway>bus to get to office), I played games at least few hours every day, including ~40 minutes of world of tanks with a cup of coffee in the morning and a few hours after work + painted warhammer army and played tabletop warhammer every sunday.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron

Not even close. That does not take hours per day from gaming.

The common thread being that they’re all essential, unignorable time commitments. It’s not like I wouldn’t rather play games lol

Shadenuat

Arcane
the only man's commitment is bringing money home.

everything else can be achieved with cheap labour force i.e. women and children

to slave yourself with unnecessary physical labour, not to mention pay people to allow you entrance into their labour camp, instead of getting fat on beer while arguing on the nature of hard counters and doing other prestigious things,
that is just outright foolishness.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The thing to do is is shave off all those little five-minute timewasters that everyone's guilty of, so that you can sit down in front of the computer to waste several hours of your time in one go, without interruptions.

But to consider going to the gym an unignorable time commitment is very commendable, of course. Rest assured that we are all very impressed.

Fred

Learned
Another fantasy rpg, with a setting i don't give a fuck about, season pass with a bunch of dlcs, game is probably full of sjw trash as well. I have a bad feeling about this one. Pass.

I'll buy Insomnia instead.
They should go the Kingdom Come route. Except this game doesn't seem to have any non diversity compatible element. Well, they should have a random twitter user ask them something like "Will the game have transexuals ? It's very important to me", and have a dev answer "There isn't any of this in the universe we built, it's not interesting in term of story telling" (or something like that).
And then, 2 weeks of free advertising on Polytaku, PC Gamer and Eurogamer condemning the game for crime against the current year, everyone will know about the game, social justice people will boycott it (but they don't buy games to begin with) and normal people will know and buy the game to support a courageous developer.
I say that in jest, but actually it would work.

Fargus

Arcane
Another fantasy rpg, with a setting i don't give a fuck about, season pass with a bunch of dlcs, game is probably full of sjw trash as well. I have a bad feeling about this one. Pass.

I'll buy Insomnia instead.
They should go the Kingdom Come route. Except this game doesn't seem to have any non diversity compatible element. Well, they should have a random twitter user ask them something like "Will the game have transexuals ? It's very important to me", and have a dev answer "There isn't any of this in the universe we built, it's not interesting in term of story telling" (or something like that).
And then, 2 weeks of free advertising on Polytaku, PC Gamer and Eurogamer condemning the game for crime against the current year, everyone will know about the game, social justice people will boycott it (but they don't buy games to begin with) and normal people will know and buy the game to support a courageous developer.
I say that in jest, but actually it would work.

From steam forumz:

question:

Will this game feature #currentyear politics?
Title is self-explanitory

Edit: I have been burned too many times recently with game devs shoehorning their politics into their games

reply:

Depends on your definition of #currentyearpolitics. The game does feature female warriors, black characters and LGBT romances. The game does not feature outright preaching of any real-life politics, the word "mansplaining", or a t-shirt that says "ask me about my political agenda".
Also, a warning: on this particular forum we're trying to be nice. Let's not have a political holywar here. Ok?

There is a reason why i never bothered with Deadfire and Tranny and likely wont bother with this one. I've consumed enough watered-down, boring fantasy to last a lifetime. I dont expect this game to be anything else than a sterile fantasy game\PoE clone. I expect forgettable and mediocre at best. Just a hunch.

Should really delay it to next February. If you release in September you're going to sell zero copies and get buttfucked by AAAA

Yes releasing the same week as the new FIFA is an excellent business strategy, yes indeed. Oh what was that, Assassin's Creed AND Forza the week after? Tomb Raider the week before?

HMM I WONDER HOW MANY COPIES THEY ARE GOING TO SELL
are u worried about being able to play tomb raider and fifa because this RPG is coming out?
Should really delay it to next February. If you release in September you're going to sell zero copies and get buttfucked by AAAA

Yes releasing the same week as the new FIFA is an excellent business strategy, yes indeed. Oh what was that, Assassin's Creed AND Forza the week after? Tomb Raider the week before?

HMM I WONDER HOW MANY COPIES THEY ARE GOING TO SELL

I wonder to what extend those are substituting products though. A typical console player who plays FIFA doesn't strike me as someone who has even heard, let alone potentially playing an isometric CRPG.

The problem is that #1 the entire population of Europe plays FIFA on console pretty sure, so lets say 30% of the customers play FIFA because Europeans are prestigious and like good RPGs whilst being addicted to football.

Then you have the Assassin's creed fans, the Forza Horizon 4 fans, take off X% for all of those. It's death by a thousand cuts, each of those huge games attracts customers and crucially media attention, until you have literally nothing left.

I would think Liking football would make somebody not want to play FiFA, but I think I am weird that way. I like American football very much, which is why I hate Madden. Its nothing at all like actual football. its just an arcade game with guys dressed up in football uniforms. Might as well be space invaders with some football helmets on.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would think Liking football would make somebody not want to play FiFA, but I think I am weird that way
It's not about emulating the experience of playing the sport, it's about having control over a game you watch on television. Liking football -> watching football -> playing FIFA. Even most professional footballers play. Apparently they like to play as themselves.

PrettyDeadman

I'm confused.. I thought they said they didn't want to do any DLC and weren't fans of it.. It was one of the reasons I was happy to back tbqh..

never trust the russians
They are not afraid to aknowledge their mistakes!

I would think Liking football would make somebody not want to play FiFA, but I think I am weird that way
It's not about emulating the experience of playing the sport, it's about having control over a game you watch on television. Liking football -> watching football -> playing FIFA. Even most professional footballers play. Apparently they like to play as themselves.
yeah I guess. I never understood it, but I realize I am actually in the minority here, so I should shut up. there are sports games I like too, but they are not arcade games. I played sports in college and highschool, so its not like I don't like action, its just controlling the football guy felt nothing like football. The final scores and strategy were not even the same. Some guy would rush for 400 yards or the final score would be 98-75 (american football, never played FiFa)..anyway, again I realize I am in the minority, but most popular sports games seem like bad action games with sports jerseys to me.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm confused.. I thought they said they didn't want to do any DLC and weren't fans of it.. It was one of the reasons I was happy to back tbqh..

never trust the russians
I think they said they don't plan to sell horse armor and such stuff. I expect these DLC to be proper content expansions.

Tigranes

Arcane
Playing FIFA is a related but separate enjoyment from playing football yourself, and the same goes for watching football.

Also, yeah, FIFA in particular has nothing to do with football, but sadly, PES has been sabotaging themselves for years

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom