Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Cael

Arcane
That is fine too. But you can get the first +2 weapon at level 4 already from a pretty easy fight.
I know. I have said it many times, the stat bloat is psychotic and the dragon hoard itemisation blows any semblance of balance out the window. The powergamer mindset of the game is stratospheric, and this is coming from a guy who is heavily into character optimisation and a regular on the old WotC 3.5 CO boards.

Incendax

Augur
Hmm, my impression that AC in P:K could seem a bit overtuned, but definitely not HP. Moving up between difficulties adds meager +2-4 HP/level from extra CON but there is no default +50 - 100% HP like in POE.
This. There are a few bonus HP because of the additional Con, but HP is one of the least inflated stats when you raise the difficulty. That’s why sources of guaranteed damage are so valuable on Unfair, since enemies die pretty easily once they actually take damage.

There are a few notable exceptions though. Usually owlbears.
Fat bastards with 700+.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The term "Monty Haul" is used by 3.x players as derogatory. With paiturd, it is a foundation pillar.

Yeah they really should tone down the magic items inflation crap well in most cRPGs. I mean just look at this crap:

You definitely did. You lost her masterpiece item (+5 longsword)

Technically it's more like +7, since it additionally provides +2 attack and damage (and AC, saves and skills).

That is something you should at most get from a fucking ultra hard boss encounter on the side which should be hard to reach and only at levels past 17. This is a godly weapon, getting it from an artisan is a freaking joke. Personally my rough guideline would be:

Prologue: Only normal weapons and armor
Chapter 1: Only masterwork items. Maybe a magical +2 attribute belt/helm at most.
Chapter 2: First +1 weapons/armors
Chapter 3: Moving on to +2 slowly
Chapter 4: Getting to +3
Chapter 5: First +4 items appear
Chapter 6: Finally +5

And I'd still have +4 and +5 weapons as very rare find and very difficult to acquire. Such weapons are the stuff of legends like Excalibur from the Arthur saga. Getting them should be a major achievment. It reminds me of the retarded Robe of Vecna in BG 2 which was laughably easy to get. The solution with a mod was that it moved it to Watcher's Keep as a drop from a Lich who was wearing it and whose AI was optimized to take full advantage of it.
THAT is how such items should be acquired. Not mere rare shit you buy or get from some artisan.

Hell +2 weapons should be reasonably rare and expensive to acquire. Yet that +2 Greatclub at the end of chapter 1 is a joke in terms of acquisition.

If you know your way well around the game and are willing to make some metagaming sacrifices, you can get a +5 +10 damage (multiplied on crits) 19-20/x3 (still doubled with imp. crit) greataxe around level 8. Around level 11 you can get it by actually winning the encounter...

Around level 13 you can get a +5 ECB that is bane vs everything but undead and golems and casts DC 22 Harm on crit... (after a tough fight).

Cael

Arcane
The term "Monty Haul" is used by 3.x players as derogatory. With paiturd, it is a foundation pillar.

Yeah they really should tone down the magic items inflation crap well in most cRPGs. I mean just look at this crap:

Technically it's more like +7, since it additionally provides +2 attack and damage (and AC, saves and skills).

That is something you should at most get from a fucking ultra hard boss encounter on the side which should be hard to reach and only at levels past 17. This is a godly weapon, getting it from an artisan is a freaking joke. Personally my rough guideline would be:

Chapter 1: Only masterwork items. Maybe a magical +2 attribute belt/helm at most.

And I'd still have +4 and +5 weapons as very rare find and very difficult to acquire. Such weapons are the stuff of legends like Excalibur from the Arthur saga. Getting them should be a major achievment. It reminds me of the retarded Robe of Vecna in BG 2 which was laughably easy to get. The solution with a mod was that it moved it to Watcher's Keep as a drop from a Lich who was wearing it and whose AI was optimized to take full advantage of it.
THAT is how such items should be acquired. Not mere rare shit you buy or get from some artisan.

Hell +2 weapons should be reasonably rare and expensive to acquire. Yet that +2 Greatclub at the end of chapter 1 is a joke in terms of acquisition.

If you know your way well around the game and are willing to make some metagaming sacrifices, you can get a +5 +10 damage (multiplied on crits) 19-20/x3 (still doubled with imp. crit) greataxe around level 8. Around level 11 you can get it by actually winning the encounter...

Around level 13 you can get a +5 ECB that is bane vs everything but undead and golems and casts DC 22 Harm on crit... (after a tough fight).
Bane against everything is an epic level weapon that you shouldn't even get until well past level 20. That is some divine level bullshit.

Shadenuat

Arcane
They did it right early game but had similarly now idea how to do it later especially due to artisans sometimes lolrandomly bringing you +4 items while everyone is still running around with +1 swords.

Honestly artisans are a convoluted unbalanced system which would be better replaced with a bunch of Cromwels from BG2.

Sykar

Arcane
They did it right early game but had similarly now idea how to do it later especially due to artisans sometimes lolrandomly bringing you +4 items while everyone is still running around with +1 swords.

Honestly artisans are a convoluted unbalanced system which would be better replaced with a bunch of Cromwels from BG2.

Or just get the fucking weapons artisans offer balanced. None offering a higher enchantment than +3 and give you the option to ask for specific enhancments. That way they might be weaker than some endgame weapons in sheer power but can be better optimized towards certain builds.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Problem with traditional DnD or Pathfinder item progression tho is that like BG you ended up playing 30 hours with nearly 0 change in equipment which is incredibly boring. It might be fine to the tabletop RPG enthusiast but bad item progression will make some boring game especially due to size and combat being incredibly prominent.

The game do counterbalance this by having some overtuned encounters scattered around. Owlbears in the Witch Hut comes to mind.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Bane against everything is an epic level weapon that you shouldn't even get until well past level 20. That is some divine level bullshit.

That very well may be. But in practice the gretaxe actually does A LOT more damage.

Xeon

Augur
Is the Bite Trip Vivisectionist from this video a good build overall? looks pretty fun. I will be playing on challenging.

Also is the respec mod works with no problems? if it does then there is no need to worry about a build at this point and just play to about Lv10~ and then look up builds and see what feels good or something.

Edit:
Is the official Thiefling portrait taken by someone in-game? if not then I'll just take it and if someone does then I'll probably just look up some portrait to use.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Is the Bite Trip Vivisectionist from this video a good build overall? looks pretty fun. I will be playing on challenging.

Also is the respec mod works with no problems? if it does then there is no need to worry about a build at this point and just play to about Lv10~ and then look up builds and see what feels good or something.

Edit:
Is the official Thiefling portrait taken by someone in-game? if not then I'll just take it and if someone does then I'll probably just look up some portrait to use.

I haven't watched much of it, will watch later, but I can already ask: why Finesse on a bite/trip build? Strenght (and reach improving spells) are much better IMO.

Particularly that the best weapon for exploiting those mechanics is a Fauchard - and you can't use Finesse with that.

hell bovine

Arcane
Is it that easter egg encounter with the pirates? I had to baleful polymorph the lady in question (regen bug) and couldn't loot her afterwards

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Is it that easter egg encounter with the pirates? I had to baleful polymorph the lady in question (regen bug) and couldn't loot her afterwards
Nope.

Fail Break Enchantment twice in a row on a character wearing cursed Cloak of Sold Souls (can be assembled after Vordekai from pieces scattered mainly in Act 3).
Note each fail will kill the wearer (unless she can't die /hint/).

Prepare for a tough fight.

hell bovine

Arcane
Nope.

Fail Break Enchantment twice in a row on a character wearing cursed Cloak of Sold Souls (can be assembled after Vordekai from pieces scattered mainly in Act 3).
Note each fail will kill the wearer (unless she can't die /hint/).

Prepare for a tough fight.
Hah, missed that one. Something to do for the next time. :) Thanks!

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, but the Harm cast effect is so delayed, that enemies tend to be dead before it triggers - and it won't work on most enemies that are actually dangerous. So I consider the axe a fair bit better.

so guys how does the overflow of dark elementalist work?

i try using that offload burn to departed souls near corpses of freshly killed enimies but it never works. Am I supposed to use it on living enemies or something?

On a side note Psychokineticist mental overflow does not work for me at the levls the tooltip says (3 burn at level 6 for +2 to two mental stats) Bug? But its a shitty archetype which burns will save with all the fey running about so whatever.

Incendax

Augur
so guys how does the overflow of dark elementalist work?
i try using that offload burn to departed souls near corpses of freshly killed enimies but it never works. Am I supposed to use it on living enemies or something?
Stand near dead bodies. Use the ability. Your burn is reduced by 1 and you get a tier of overload.

You need enemy HD > than your own HD, so starting out you always want to use it around 2+ corpses. Preferably 3+.
If the only corpses around are wimps, you get nothing.

Last edited:

razvedchiki

Erudite
i have a weird bug where when i go the capital tavern my capital buildings disappear together with the building slots,in 1.3 beta.
anayone found a solution?(well beyond not visiting the tavern).

by the way did anyone got the dwarf artisan dawn armor?the one from his quest?is it his masterpiece?

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
i have a weird bug where when i go the capital tavern my capital buildings disappear together with the building slots,in 1.3 beta.
anayone found a solution?(well beyond not visiting the tavern).

by the way did anyone got the dwarf artisan dawn armor?the one from his quest?is it his masterpiece?

Yes, I got his masterpiece armor Onslaught. Late in Act V however.
He also brought a nice +5 nonmithrill plate with lots of resistances.

Xeon

Augur
What helps against knockdowns? The worg in the area with the Mitts and lizards I think are killing me pretty fast, I would like to know if there are feats and equipment that would help prevent those in advance.

I am Lv2 or 3 and I haven't gotten the sixth party member yet so I get that I might be very early for that fight but I would still like to know if there are feats that helps against knockdowns because I seem to be getting knocked down with every hit.

Edit:
Googling it, it seems only the dodge feat helps against knockdown, there are other things which affects.
  • BAB
  • STR mod
  • Dex mod (limited by armour)
  • Size
  • Dodge
  • Deflection
  • Any circumstance, luck, insight, morale, profane, or sacred bonuses to AC
  • Any penalties to AC

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom