Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
oh okay. I thought off-site chars got a split too. So they get exp but not at the cost of party exp. In other words, you get more "total exp" using shared exp

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
if this game had a manual it would probably beat FO2s in length

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Owlcats said that word count for translation (it costs money) was the main reason why they never put Pathfinder rules into the game. There were already at 1,5 kk words in-game before DLC, with 1 kk extra from manual they would have never afforded translation.

Some game options explanations would be nice though, but manual would be out-of-date after every major patch.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't translate the rules then. Yeah, I guess it's easy for me to say that since I speak English, but it seems to me people are playing the game without the rules, so they would've just been a bonus if you want to look something up. There's also Google translate if you don't speak a word of English, but absolutely must check some obscure rule or another.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
if this game had a manual it would probably beat FO2s in length

I think Origin's Knights of Legend (1989) must have had the record for the thickest, biggest printed game manual for a cRPG. That thing was big, and the first professionally published book or manual that felt like it was printed on bleached recycled paper and would break its spine into multiple sections if you accidentally opened it at more than a 45 degree angle.

Still playing P:K. I'm facing some tough C&C with the 5 (6?) ancient treants holding the final piece of The First Crown. Hope I don't have to set fire to the poor ancient lumbering things.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
My MC is a ranger freebooter with archery focus. It's a pretty cool class, got some nice offense-supportive skills. Dunno about ranged damage in general but seems good enough even in early game.

Does anyone know if there any cool dual/multi-class options for this (retaining the archery/buffer role)? High dex and wis, so I guess a wis-based spellcaster focusing on buffs could be good. Or maybe rogue to increase dex/mobility-based defenses in the cases where enemies ambush or reach him.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I like 4 lvl Rogue or 1 level Vivisectionist for Rangers with archery focus. Freebooter himself is wis-based spellcaster with 4 spell levels, first two are pretty good for Hurricane Bow and Sense Vitals, but later spells are meh for char without pet.

So it mostly about how much you ok to lose from main class progression. Freebooter does not have a pet so 4 level dip is less painful than for vanilla Ranger.

I like Debilitating Injury on Rogue 4 for -4 to enemies AC for all shots after first one in the round. Thug archetype will get extra debuff on lvl 3 from Brutal beating mode (-2 to attack and saves) for the price of 1d6 sneak. Nice to have on at least one char in the party.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Eldiritch Archer. Although that's more Int based. But 2 levels for bow Spell Combat could be nice. Perhaps Vivisectionist for Mutagen stat bonuses, buffs and sneak attacks.

panda

Savant
The quality of the npc writing is all over the place. Some of it is so bad(in a "looks like fanfiction" sort of way) that I'm having a hard time holding a group of six in the first chapter(I considered some companions too annoying to keep).

I ditched Regongar and Octavia after they both expressed their desire for me to participate in a cuckolding threesome session(that was the day after I rescued both- "in your face" and apparently that dialog appears with no specific input from you, just talk to them). Amiri is annoying and I plan to ditch her as soon as possible. Linzi and Tristian are cliché, but at least *traditional* rpg clichés. Harrim and the undead animu elf are unironically the most tolerable and interesting of the bunch.
Regongar is actually one of the best written characters in recent history, but i had the same initial impression and agree about fan-fic level cringy introduction.

Simple Simon

Scholar
I will echo other people that say Reg is a great character that grows on you as the game progresses. I found the resolution with his
brother
to be particularly touching.

Barbarian

Arcane
Itt, tiefling girl(s) is by far the most powerful companion in the game. Not only is the kineticist class overwpowered, you can literally swap characters mid-battle without penalty(and the AI seems to do automatic when the active sister is about to die).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
How the heck do you disable the tacticool "slowdown" mode? It lingers after combat and I have to toggle it off. But next fight it goes on again.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I had a hoot yesterday doing the spider/dryad fight in Hilltop or whatever it's called shortly after getting the barony. I didn't really understand why my dudes kept dying (play on challenging so that's basically a reload each time) until I saw their dex/str scores being lowered to 0-1 by god damn spider bites. So then I started throwing out restoration-like spells. Also the dang über-spider coming in with stealth and stealth attacks. Fun fight, got it down after some tries.

I'm definitely making a custom cleric to replace Tristian/Dwarf. Like a Glaive-using (mid-range) max-charisma armored cleric or maybe something more interesting. The custom character dude is gone from the Outpost/inn tho. Did he move to my city's inn?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, Anoriel should be in your Inn.

And yeah, the Hilltop fight with Silky and her pets is quite fun at level 5. Recently played it on Hard and... well... it was really tough keeping the whole party alive.

Efe

Erudite
i dropped hard to challenging, its just not fun to reload every other combat
iirc it was a bandit leader in corner of lone house that persuaded me.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I couldn't stop myself from using all animal companion classes party, game got much easier then. Just buff pets and let them kill everything.

Then the game got boring.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Did you know that some of the Owlcat Games team members did the voiceover for some of the monsters in the game? That's right, when you fight a mandragora, a troll or some other monsters, you may hear one of the game designers or narrative designers roar!
Today we decided to show you our game designer Leonid Tolochenko taking the Devil's role.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Further proof that Kingmaker end game is simply unfair and probably cannot even be beaten:

For real? Are you telling me this game is unwinnable in the end!? I'm having a crisis of faith here simply because the game is just too damn long and I'm finding it hard to continue after 100 hrs but if P:K can't be won- well, I'm starting to feel a creeping, crushing despair about it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Further proof that Kingmaker end game is simply unfair and probably cannot even be beaten:

For real? Are you telling me this game is unwinnable in the end!? I'm having a crisis of faith here simply because the game is just too damn long and I'm finding it hard to continue after 100 hrs but if P:K can't be won- well, I'm starting to feel a creeping, crushing despair about it.

Did you watch the video?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Did you watch the video?

No. I almost did but I'm trying to avoid possible spoilers. So it was a jokey. Gotcha.

Humanophage

Arcane
Owlcats said that word count for translation (it costs money) was the main reason why they never put Pathfinder rules into the game. There were already at 1,5 kk words in-game before DLC, with 1 kk extra from manual they would have never afforded translation.

Some game options explanations would be nice though, but manual would be out-of-date after every major patch.
The crowdfunded project for Russian Pathfinder exceeded the goal by 1442% (it was about 4500 USD but ended up getting around 66000 USD). Pretty impressive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom