Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Deleted Member 16721

I use the Mastadon. High attack/strength/damage and a ton of HP. Not sure why everyone uncreatively uses the same pet...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Why is everyone saying the smilodon is the best pet? I haven't used it yet, but the wolf in comparison to the bear is a monster. Pretty much trips everything, setting them up for attacks of opportunity and sneaks attacks...
Not everyone can be tripped and it does not work vs many that can be tripped as they are big and have huge defense. Smilodon does lots of attacks per round and does a lot of consistent damage that does not depend on trip.

Xeon

Augur
I used a Leopard and at first it used to only trips during charges but then it started to trip everyone which was great.

I only picked a Leopard because I saw that it had the highest Dex gain so I was thinking it will be the best tank.

Thank you ArchAngel.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It depends on the difficulty. There is a hole in game where enemies CMD is so high they can't be tripped, but then you level up and get more spells to buff pets which closes the gap.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Why is everyone saying the smilodon is the best pet? I haven't used it yet, but the wolf in comparison to the bear is a monster. Pretty much trips everything, setting them up for attacks of opportunity and sneaks attacks...
As ArchAngel said... 5 attacks a round, base. Tripping is great, when it works, but damage is almost always valuable.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I used a Leopard and at first it used to only trips during charges but then it started to trip everyone which was great.

I only picked a Leopard because I saw that it had the highest Dex gain so I was thinking it will be the best tank.

Thank you ArchAngel.
Leopard is also my pet of choice. It has trip, 3 attacks per round and best AC.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
As I understand, dog and wolf eventually gain 3 attacks also, all 3 of them bites -> Best CMB AND 3 Trip attemps per round (Leopard always has 1 bite -> 1 Trip).

ArchAngel

Arcane
As I understand, dog and wolf eventually gain 3 attacks also, all 3 of them bites -> Best CMB AND 3 Trip attemps per round (Leopard always has 1 bite -> 1 Trip).
They should not. Animals don't get bonus attacks due to high BAB.

Yosharian

Arcane
Everyone takes Smilodon because it does 2x-5x the damage that the other pets do

It's utterly overpowered and doesn't even closely resemble a normal animal companion

aeroaeko

Learned
So how hard is this game exactly? I am pretty new to crpgs and struggle with things like pre-buffing and micro managing units constantly. Should I just play on easy?

Yosharian

Arcane
So how hard is this game exactly? I am pretty new to crpgs and struggle with things like pre-buffing and micro managing units constantly. Should I just play on easy?
Normal difficulty shouldn't be too difficult, but the one thing I'd say is put the kingdom management on easy if you can because it's really frustrating

Deleted Member 16721

Your friends are casuals. Kingdom management is glorious.

And fuck the Smilodon. I'll never use it as a pet. I'd rather pick the Centipede because I don't like groupthink.

Cael

Arcane
Your friends are casuals. Kingdom management is glorious.

And fuck the Smilodon. I'll never use it as a pet. I'd rather pick the Centipede because I don't like groupthink.
There is nothing possibly about this guy...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Rewarded for putting this game off with enhanced edition. Rewarded for putting off PoE2 with turn-based mode. Why the fuck ever play something day one I guess.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

These are not iterative attacks from what I understand. More like... growth/level upgrade.

ArchAngel

Arcane

These are not iterative attacks from what I understand. More like... growth/level upgrade.
It should be fairly easy to test with high level Ekundayo. But I doubt there is something like this in the game.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Dog and wolf both get 2 iteratives at 6 and 11 bab. All of them are bites so it gets 3 trip attempts at max level when leopard has only one. If I remember correctly, dog's bite also treated as 2-handed weapons with 1.5 str bonus to damage.

Thanks to higher str and size they are also ~3-4 CMB ahead of leopard. When kitty's best advantages are being small and fast.

I usually take dog (wolf) when I want Trip and smilodon when I want DPS and shared Team Feats on Sacred Huntmaster. Everything else is kinda flavor.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Dog and wolf both get 2 iteratives at 6 and 11 bab. All of them are bites so it gets 3 trip attempts at max level when leopard has only one. If I remember correctly, dog's bite also treated as 2-handed weapons with 1.5 str bonus to damage.

Thanks to higher str and size they are also ~3-4 CMB ahead of leopard. When kitty's best advantages are being small and fast.

I usually take dog (wolf) when I want Trip and smilodon when I want DPS and shared Team Feats on Sacred Huntmaster. Everything else is kinda flavor.
Since dog's and wolf's trip are based on hitting enemies, their 2nd and especially 3rd attack are not reliable to trip anyone. Also BAB goes into CMB calculations and trips with iterative attacks should also get the same penalty.
Leopard's 3 attacks and Smilodon's 5 attacks don't have any attack penalties.

razvedchiki

Erudite
Anyone here generate their own party or at least a couple of other characters? The companions are mostly crap classes, not even a pure wizard! I want to have both a Magus and a Wizard so I'll have to generate it manually via the guild, but will I lose out on any NPC backstory/quest if i do this?

If you enjoy making your own party members why not,myself and most people here i think prefer vanilla npcs for the added difficulty(most npcs thougj are really good in their roles).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom