Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

DeepOcean

Arcane
Can't wait for the steam reviews of "wahh it's too difficult but I refuse to play on easy"
Piranha Bytes made a video about how people thought Elex was too difficult but didn't want to turn down the difficulty because it upsets their "gamer honor" or whatever. It was pretty accurate, I have had similar feelings.
Those people got used to popamole hard modes from popamole games, most popamole games allow for players that barely know the game to finish it even on hard mode on the first try. To me, a hard mode is a supreme challenge for people that already know the game. I always play the first time on the second hardest mode, then replay on the hardest mode if I liked the game to put in practice what I learned.

Why punish yourself going straight to the hardest difficulty that generally is very unforgiving to mistakes on character building as on any decent cRPG, you WILL make mistakes the first time, that is unavoidable.

If people's honor depends on gaming, they should buy a penis extender to feel better about themselves.

Tigranes

Arcane
That camping menu is the most involved I've seen in a CRPG. Assigning guards? Cooks? People to hunt for food?

giphy.gif

Looks pretty much like Expeditions: Conquistador?

SophosTheWise

Cipher
How are bards in this game?

Since the gutted the skill system and did not really base the game on 3.5 or pathfinder they are more functional replacement rogues.

Yeah, I planned on playing a bard but decided against this, because, well, all skill-based usefulness of bards is gone. Basically you play a nerd who can't do anything but inspire courage. Sucks a bit. I'm now playing a chaotic good Crusader Cleric of Shelyn. Took me ages to decide but this will be fun.
_

But I basically only wanted to say that I am honestly shocked at the production value and design. It's startingly good. Like, whew, I didn't expect that from a Russian dev Kickstarter game. Even the starting dialogue is engaging and fun as hell. I thought Bard's Tale 4 was charming, but it pales in comparison with this. Not to mention how much smoother the game runs and plays.

Too bad I have to get up early tomorrow.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The random encounters are kinda bonkers, barely level 3 and on my way to Oleg's Trading Post and I get stoped by two giants, they insta kill everyone. What's up with this? I wasnt outside of the low level area, so where the hell did this came from?

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Sweet Zombie Jesus, it's 30 gb, that's going to take half a day on my connection. When did rpgs became this big? Am I just too old?
I was cleaning up my vidya folder a while ago and noticed that Dragon Age: Origins with just one small mod (permanent Dog party member) weighs 23,4 GBs.
Oddly, Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition weighs 10 GB. 3D graphics? Physics? Optimization? I don't know.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Man, I must be doing something wrong, these fights are pretty brutal. I'm only at the difficulty above the default and almost every fight with bandits is just - the barbarian chick dies instantly from full health to two arrows while all the melee bandits simply walk around the stupid failed-paladin-lady, invoking attacks of opportunity that do nothing because she has no offensive power, to murder my bard and sorcerer in one hit on each of them. That's after instantly oneshotting both the dogs I summoned to slow them down.
panzerfist.jpg

potion of barkskin
potion of shield of faith/mageskin
shit of protection
maintain armor in camp (since as a waifu she is useless anyway)
fighting defensively etc.
you can get your AC to 30ish on level 2, natural crits still destroy you though.

I managed to kill retardTuzio party in crypt, but it is absurdly hard, yeah. the biggest problem is severe lack of damagers in the beginning. Amiri is the only one, and you want Enlarge person and all shit on her. Use like, all scrolls and all consumables you get. Your casters are weak, other characters are mostly support, you lose her you have no chances to win.

For easier early game it makes sence to roll high str fighter. I need that Valygar and his dog dammit.

Enemies have +4 flat bonus to everything on harder difficulty. Thats +4 bab, def, saving throws. Meaning you hit with -4 and they hit with +4. Meaning you eat dicks.
The worst part though is that enemies are not retarded. They go beyond and cast stuff like Enlarge on their fighters, their fighters focus down your lower AC characters, and so on.

Also, until level 5, you can replace tower shield for Val with regular one, because TS gives -2 to hit, which is a lot; and her class overrides that penalty only on level 5.

Also guys don't forget you can pre-buff, for minutes, or even hours for some spells. Pre-bless, pre-bard chant, drink potions, summon stuff in tacticool places before battle, etc.

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane
The random encounters are kinda bonkers, barely level 3 and on my way to Oleg's Trading Post and I get stoped by two giants, they insta kill everyone. What's up with this? I wasnt outside of the low level area, so where the hell did this came from?
Think about the awesome loot and experience you could get if you managed to kill them!

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Spent an hour looking for a custom portrait. Brings me back to the baldurs gate days... Surfing the web on AOL dialup looking for that perfect hero. I can't believe some of those websites still exist, untouched to this very day.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Any way to adjust the UI? It seems like it was made by console 'tards, intended to be enjoyed on the silver screen.

Andhaira

Arcane
Did the Magus translate well? The class has a lot of subsystems in Pnp, wha with Spellstrike and Spellcombat and I'm unsure if it will translate over well into a RTwP game.

Also, is Eldritch Knight a PrC in the game?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
RnG is really annoying,the chose to make the game difficult in the wrong departments. It feels like wasteland yet again,quick save before any chest because my retards don't know how to use a lockpick once the fail. The game is too fateful to the PnP...sadly.

Israfael

Arcane
Asked a few questions on the stream, the devs are surprisingly forthcoming for my compatriots (probably things go really well for them). Since I never followed this (having 0 confidence in Russian 'industry veterans' who are usually prone to getting at each other throats in a second and then disbanding with project half-finished), some of the things I asked might be trivial, but their explanations might interest people:

- Is it possible to change AI behaviour like in DAO / NWN mods?
- No, it's not, apart from few basic settings (like disabling AI altogether). We thought about it for a very long time, many of us really like this idea, but we had neither time, nor resources to properly implement this feature.

- Have you considered implementing SPM system like in Brigade E5?
- We love and respect Brigade, but our game is not as tactical as Brigade, so it was not necessary to develop something as complex as SPM.

- Can we play a retarded character a-la Fallout 1/2 or Arcanum?
- It's another point of contention, there are some lines in dialogues with such flavour, but ultimately we decided against it because of the setting-related reasons. In some games it's fun to roleplay a dimwit, but we thought it inappropriate in a high fantasy setting.

- Can the companions interject into dialogues and have influence on their flow like in DAO or Storm of Zehir?
- Yes, it is something we implemented with the help of MCA and other people. Each NPC brings his own principles, ideas and actions into the dialogues, so the experience and the story might develop in radically different ways depending on companion alignment / your own limitations

Also, the chief dev was very keen on implementing Time Stop, but they decided not to do it because of some unnamed difficulties. Another input of Avellone was the system that 'shoehorns' LG/NG etc NPCs into bad situations where less scrupulous characters can find an easy way out (in other words, Paladins have to larp it until the bitter end). Sounds interesting. Unfortunately, they either did not see my questions about the action queues and UI scaling (two things that made PoE not just dull, but painful to play for me), or chose not to answer them.

PS Also, they said that modding and workshop are not planned, as well as online games - for them, it's too complex and not worth the effort (kind of strange to hear such things about modders, to be honest)

Sentinel

Arcane
I'm really enjoying the game so far but I can't help it but think that turn-based combat would have improved combat a fuck ton.

Combat feels like a total shitshow. Millions of text pop ups, combat log not divided by rounds, the icon that indicates a character's queued action is all sorts of fucked up (for example, when I drink a potion of cure light wounds, the icon shows ??? instead of the potion icon)... I'm still tinkering with auto pause settings but christ. It's really hard to tell who is doing what. At least each character doesn't seem to have an individual recovery rate like PoE had, so it's not that bad.

PS: it also seems like characters can just move whenever and do not respect the move distance per round rule at all. It baffles me that in a world where Troika figured out turn based combat FIFTEEN FUCKING YEARS AGO others devs still refuse to copy them.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm really enjoying the game so far but I can't help it but think that turn-based combat would have improved combat a fuck ton.

Combat feels like a total shitshow. Millions of text pop ups, combat log not divided by rounds, the icon that indicates a character's queued action is all sorts of fucked up (for example, when I drink a potion of cure light wounds, the icon shows ??? instead of the potion icon)... I'm still tinkering with auto pause settings but christ. It's really hard to tell who is doing what. At least each character doesn't seem to have an individual recovery rate like PoE had, so it's not that bad.

PS: it also seems like characters can just move whenever and do not respect the move distance per round rule at all. It baffles me that in a world where Troika figured out turn based combat FIFTEEN FUCKING YEARS AGO others devs still refuse to copy them.

you can turn most of those text pop ups on/off as you please

Jinn

Arcane
The game would have obviously been quite a bit better as a turn-based game with free radius movement, ala ToEE. As it stands now, it feels like the best implementation of turn-based rules in a RTwP game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:decline:
That weight system is try hard retardation beyond believe! Having more than one supply for camping and the game goes full retard. This is all i have in my inventory! Broken stupidity at its best!
tryhard.png

RnG is really annoying,the chose to make the game difficult in the wrong departments. It feels like wasteland yet again,quick save before any chest because my retards don't know how to use a lockpick once the fail. The game is too fateful to the PnP...sadly.

time to bump it down to story mode
I have no problem with the fights,it is annoying with the skill checks. It is the same stupidity as wasteland 2 and its containers.

Sentinel

Arcane

you can turn most of those text pop ups on/off as you please
I know, but options are "Allies only" or "Enemies only". There's no "Allies & enemies". The "all" option includes people outside the group, the "none" option doesn't interest me.

Also, for some reason when I drag the combat log to expand it and, as I'm dragging it, I move the camera with WASD, my FPS drops to single digits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom