Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jinn

Arcane
tryhard.png

That's just encumbrance with your weak ass little rogue character. It's greatly increased when you are traveling with a party, where the weight can be distributed evenly. There is nothing tryhard about it and it works just fine. Also, when you are walking around in a safe camp zone (like you are doing), encumbrance doesn't seem to affect walking speed anyway. You are looking too hard for little shit to complain about.

I have no problem with the fights,it is annoying with the skill checks. It is the same stupidity as wasteland 2 and its containers.

Have yet to run into any such RNG. I've passed all in-dialogue skill checks because I have high enough attributes and skills, and every door/container opening for the same reason in the 5 hours I've been playing. Playing on hard, btw. I don't know, maybe I'll notice something like that soon.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
is there any way to change the companion AI?

edit:
remapping character to select to F1-6 keys doesn't seem to work :(

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It baffles me that in a world where Troika figured out turn based combat FIFTEEN FUCKING YEARS AGO others devs still refuse to copy them."

Copy them by going out of business? BRILLIANT.

Mortmal

Arcane
Trying at challenging, party(with very limited choice ) get completely wrecked on random encounter cant heal without buying overpriced potions , then spider swarm, no one can cast AOE , game over.Also far too few portraits.

Codex Year of the Donut
"It baffles me that in a world where Troika figured out turn based combat FIFTEEN FUCKING YEARS AGO others devs still refuse to copy them."

Funny, I think they did perfect turn based combat... Probably just not in the game they were referring to -- I assume ToEE.
I often switched to the realtime combat in Arcanum because it was faster. I used turn-based for difficult fights.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

That's just encumbrance with your weak ass little rogue character. It's greatly increased when you are traveling with a party, where the weight can be distributed evenly. There is nothing tryhard about it and it works just fine. Also, when you are walking around in a safe camp zone (like you are doing), encumbrance doesn't seem to affect walking speed anyway. You are looking too hard for little shit to complain about.

I have no problem with the fights,it is annoying with the skill checks. It is the same stupidity as wasteland 2 and its containers.

Have yet to run into any such RNG. I've passed all in-dialogue skill checks because I have high enough attributes and skills, and every door/container opening for the same reason in the 5 hours I've been playing. Playing on hard, btw. I don't know, maybe I'll notice something like that soon.
Yeah i noticed that about the weight. As for the checks well they are not fixed and don't let you try again. My rogue is 19 dex and 16 int,in theory he should be able to open all that shit. Yet a lot of time i have to reload and try again. It is really bad design decision.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Trying at challenging, party(with very limited choice ) get completely wrecked on random encounter cant heal without buying overpriced potions , then spider swarm, no one can cast AOE , game over.Also far too few portraits.

The spider swarms are retarded but I assume you have to level up +1 or +2 and then come back.

Sentinel

Arcane

You seem to imply that there is any correlation between turn-based combat and going out of business. You are wrong, friend.

Moink

Cipher

Trokia went out of business after making a game with real time combat though

BlbqztR.png

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Spider swarms can't be damaged by normal attacks, just aoe damage, which is problematic because 1. Game does a shit job at informing the player of such 2. There is a good chance that the cave is the second area a new player visits and players at this point are in no way prepared or informed to deal with tiny spiders that are immune to everything they do, and wipe their party right after the easily killed off a much bigger spider.

It's shit game design.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mechanically the game seems okay, but story wise I'm not feeling it. It's just so bog standard so far. The thing when you wake up in your room to battle sounds... I've must have seen that 100 times before, or it feels like anyway. Oh noes, we have been attacked by these vicious level 1 assassins, help us oh great warrior! I know I'm being an ass now, but couldn't help to roll my eyes at that moment. I'm trying to come up with a reason why my character ended up on their footstep in the first place. Apparently I answered a call, to what I don't know because I could ask all these questions after I had accepted the quest.

Oh well, hopefully it kicks up a notch later on.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
First impressions: the game looks good and the combat is brutal. C&C is present.

I started on hard but I switched to challenging because I found no way to kill the first "random" encounter (3 wolves). *sigh*

To be honest, I got wiped like 20+ times already. The beginning is really brutal without a healer.

There are time limits. Not only the first major quest has a time limit of 3 months but there are time limited quests. This will definitely enrage some people.

I've reached the first dungeon and it's quite big.

I think people which enjoyed BGs will most likely enjoy this game. It's categorically better than PoE.

Jinn

Arcane
I find it kind of interesting that anyone would start playing a game like this for the storyline. It's pretty easy to tell what you're getting into from even a very distant glance.

It's shit game design.

I always thought that presenting optional insurmountable challenges to the player, then expecting them to figure out that they are not ready for them and to come back later was good RPG design. It respects the intelligence of the player and urges them to recognize their limitations, leading to an improved sense of progression later on.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
the scarcity of damage reduction(and being completely different from armor) reminds me of why I hate D&D and the stuff based on it
woops a bandit wielding a stick rolled a critical on your fully armored fighter wearing a shield, they're dead. :mad:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I find it kind of interesting that anyone would start playing a game like this for the storyline. It's pretty easy to tell what you're getting into from even a very distant glance.

They hired Avellone, so one would expect something.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
Mechanically the game seems okay, but story wise I'm not feeling it. It's just so bog standard so far. The thing when you wake up in your room to battle sounds... I've must have seen that 100 times before, or it feels like anyway. Oh noes, we have been attacked by these vicious level 1 assassins, help us oh great warrior! I know I'm being an ass now, but couldn't help to roll my eyes at that moment. I'm trying to come up with a reason why my character ended up on their footstep in the first place. Apparently I answered a call, to what I don't know because I could ask all these questions after I had accepted the quest.

Oh well, hopefully it kicks up a notch later on.

I totally get it, but I didn't feel the same way.
To me it seems that the game is absolutely self-aware. The game knows it's cheesy and silly. I mean it starts by gathering a group of heroes and instantly gives you a bard praising you and the adventure that's about to come. Many games with this kind of content seem utterly generic -- but this game doesn't seem boring to me because it's written without the expectation of writing a masterpiece but with being content about what it represents. Other games seem uninspired when they do this, this game just feels comfortable, a bit like coming home to a home-cooked meal.

Jinn

Arcane
They hired Avellone, so one would expect something.

Avellone wrote a companion or two and served as a narrative adviser of sorts, as most of his roles as a writer have been for years now. Remember, they are working off the basic foundation of the Kingmaker module, so look to that if you are wondering what kind of storyline is involved.

And as SophosTheWise above said, the game doesn't take itself too seriously, which is kind of a good thing. It knows it's supposed to be a replication of the tabletop experience, and embraces the spirit of that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom