Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
I find it kind of interesting that anyone would start playing a game like this for the storyline. It's pretty easy to tell what you're getting into from even a very distant glance.

They hired Avellone, so one would expect something.
wonder how much he charges devs to write a line or two just so they can claim he wrote their game

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The thing when you wake up in your room to battle sounds... I've must have seen that 100 times before, or it feels like anyway. Oh noes, we have been attacked by these vicious level 1 assassins, help us oh great warrior! I know I'm being an ass now, but couldn't help to roll my eyes at that moment. I'm trying to come up with a reason why my character ended up on their footstep in the first place. Apparently I answered a call, to what I don't know because I could ask all these questions after I had accepted the quest.

HOLY SHIT, this sounds like complete and utter garb --

nwn_confession.png

* AHEM *

:hmmm:

Nevermind. Carry on, guise.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mechanically the game seems okay, but story wise I'm not feeling it. It's just so bog standard so far. The thing when you wake up in your room to battle sounds... I've must have seen that 100 times before, or it feels like anyway. Oh noes, we have been attacked by these vicious level 1 assassins, help us oh great warrior! I know I'm being an ass now, but couldn't help to roll my eyes at that moment. I'm trying to come up with a reason why my character ended up on their footstep in the first place. Apparently I answered a call, to what I don't know because I could ask all these questions after I had accepted the quest.

Oh well, hopefully it kicks up a notch later on.

I totally get it, but I didn't feel the same way.
To me it seems that the game is absolutely self-aware. The game knows it's cheesy and silly. I mean it starts by gathering a group of heroes and instantly gives you a bard praising you and the adventure that's about to come. Many games with this kind of content seem utterly generic -- but this game doesn't seem boring to me because it's written without the expectation of writing a masterpiece but with being content about what it represents. Other games seem uninspired when they do this, this game just feels comfortable, a bit like coming home to a home-cooked meal.

Yeah, I understand your point. I wouldn't call the game boring though, I was just hoping maybe it would have a bit more serious tone. Or well, the main thing I want is some mystery to it all. Hoping it does not go full Larian whimsical ;)

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Spider swarms can't be damaged by normal attacks, just aoe damage, which is problematic because 1. Game does a shit job at informing the player of such 2. There is a good chance that the cave is the second area a new player visits and players at this point are in no way prepared or informed to deal with tiny spiders that are immune to everything they do, and wipe their party right after the easily killed off a much bigger spider.

It's shit game design.
It is Paizos design originally though they should have made them a small swarm that took half damage or gave some hints that swarms are there. Bokken is literally selling the alchemist fire you need and could mention that you might need some going into that cave. Paizo loves to throw swarms at level one or two parties. You are supposed to run and come back with burning hands and alchemists fire. It's kind of a trope for table top that you need to prep for the inevitable swarm or your fucked.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
This game is fucking brutal holy shit. It's alright though, making me use all those consumables instead of hoarding them like in every other RPG.
Wish the game told me why it auto paused however...

Spider swarms can't be damaged by normal attacks, just aoe damage, which is problematic because 1. Game does a shit job at informing the player of such 2. There is a good chance that the cave is the second area a new player visits and players at this point are in no way prepared or informed to deal with tiny spiders that are immune to everything they do, and wipe their party right after the easily killed off a much bigger spider.

It's shit game design.
Do Barbarians, Fighters, Crusaders or Inquisitors have any such "AoE spells" at level 2? 'Cause I haven't found any way to damage them.

Also my Crusader got 1 shot by a fucking 16 AC Deer.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Avellone obviously was not writing dialog. If he was, he would not have a barbarian woman saying anachronistic and frankly stupid words like "crappy." After reading some of the dialog, I am convinced he had no part in writing it, and was employed in an advisory and narrative capacity. Because from what I can read and what I saw on stream, most of it seems like try-hard conversation that did not survive the translation into English. Or worse, never survived the translation into Russian.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok this game is shit,worst than bard's tale. The resting just made me rage quit,you have to spam that shit after every two moves on the stupid map. It is annoying waste of time. Can you imagine if BG2 forced you to rest 7 times on your way to any location?!

LizardWizard

Cipher
The best part is they buffed that fight after people complained it was too hard.

Good. Remember when the casuals on Obs forum were bitching about their naked party dying to the Titan in the back beta. Then come release POTD was practically playing on story mode

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:hmmm:
After some running around i decided to progress the main quest...
bear.png

Yeah good luck killing that shit with level 3 faggots...
The best part is they buffed that fight after people complained it was too hard.
Aha,sure it was easy. Even tried it on the lowest custom difficulty,still killed my party in hit....really nice guys,really nice. This game is soo try hard,can't imagine many people outside of the codex to like it.

Sentinel

Arcane
I just met a Large Fire Elemental at level 2 on a random encounter.

I'm not sure they tested this shit at all.

Would you prefer level scaled encounters?
I'd prefer
1) not to have random encounters
2) if they are a necessity, that the algorithm didn't give me auto wipe enemies.
I'm fine with the spider swarm cause i can just come back later, but in a random encounter my only choice is to quickload and hope I don't get fucked again.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I have a feeling fantadomat is picking up everything he finds.
The weight thing became pretty apparent to me and I just stopped picking weapons and armor unless they have better stats or have high value in relation to weight.

Jinn

Arcane
Ok this game is shit,worst than bard's tale. The resting just made me rage quit,you have to spam that shit after every two moves on the stupid map. It is annoying waste of time. Can you imagine if BG2 forced you to rest 7 times on your way to any location?!

Sweet. Catch you later, buddy!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Sweet. Catch you later, buddy!
:lol:
By the morning i will be chilled out,and will give it another go. It will still be shit tho.

Jinn

Arcane
In other news, verticality in IE-like games is fun!

Also, was able to resolve yet another dangerous situation with a combination of my alignment parameters and charisma while also completing an additional sidequest. Double :incline:!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
In other news, verticality in IE-like games is fun!

Also, was able to resolve yet another dangerous situation with a combination of my alignment parameters and charisma while also completing an additional sidequest. Double :incline:!
Sooo you play good then :).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom