Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:lol:
Hope you don't feel left out guys.
Screenshot_2018_9_26_I_love_the_game_but_Pathfinder_Kingmaker_General_Discussions.png

DemonKing

Arcane
Just played for an hour or so - graphically it's not quite as nice as Deadfire but loving the D&D ruleset and the customisation options so far for both your character and difficulty. The NPCs seem a bit hit or miss (liking the undead elf, dwarf cleric and even the halfling bard is OK but having to believe an obnoxious CE gnome has a Charisma score of 20 is a bit far fetched). It's certainly hooked me more than BT4 so far.

EDIT: Is there an easy way to switch weapons in combat?

Jinn

Arcane
EDIT: Is there an easy way to switch weapons in combat?

Click around the numeral for your additional weapon set instead of on the weapon icon. I had a little trouble figuring this out too.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Even on normal you can get one shot by the starting assassin entering your room.

Especially you somehow build a slow and squishy character.

Codex Year of the Donut
Even on normal you can get one shot by the starting assassin entering your room.

according to D&Dfags, this is a good thing. Armor should do the complete opposite of what you think it would do. That bulky guy in full plate armor? It actually makes him dodge better!

in before asshurt D&Dfags upset that D&D is trash

Sentinel

Arcane
Whoever came up with this sheer fisting of an encounter can go fuck themselves. Do me a favor so I don't waste my friend's time on this kind of jackass shit-fest again, send me an email at bfarto@inxile.net when you decide to A) Implement an encounter that wasn't designed by a retarded chimp chained to a cubicle A.)Get a Quality Assuarance Department C) Actually beta test the fucking thing and D) Patch it live. And please for god's sake -- do it in the order I laid out for you. Don't worry, I won't charge you a consulting fee on that one. And for good luck you might as well E) Pull your heads out of your asses. While you're at it rename the game to Cuckmaker since you've used up you're alotted false advertising karma on the Avellone scam. '01.Fix the Spider encounter. Fix the first boss encounter. Rethink your combat bullshit. Fix all the buggy motherfucking random encounters (I suggest you let whoever made the soundtrack do this since that dude apparently laid off the crack the rest of you were smoking). Fix resting. Fix final boss (just guessing it's fucked up considering your track record). Don't have the resources to fix this stuff? Move the ENTIRE my.com team over to fixing Spiders AND DO IT NOW. If you don't fix Spiders, you jackassess will be the only ones playing this shit game.

Mortmal

Arcane
Trying at challenging, party(with very limited choice ) get completely wrecked on random encounter cant heal without buying overpriced potions , then spider swarm, no one can cast AOE , game over.Also far too few portraits.

The spider swarms are retarded but I assume you have to level up +1 or +2 and then come back.
Yes the left part of the map is easier , seems you can wander in far too hard places from the begining . Pretty much everything in this game is serious incline, completely crush POE so far.

Why does it cost 2000 gold to create a single custom companion? Why is this road block to creating a custom party in place? 10,000 gold just to create a custom party? I'm not amused. Granted, I just edited the required gold into the appropriate save script, but why have that restriction in place at all?

DeepOcean

Arcane
I find it kind of interesting that anyone would start playing a game like this for the storyline. It's pretty easy to tell what you're getting into from even a very distant glance.

They hired Avellone, so one would expect something.
Dunno how they implemented it but the start of the module is pretty DnD 101, that is expected, it gets better later.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Whoever came up with this sheer fisting of an encounter can go fuck themselves. Do me a favor so I don't waste my friend's time on this kind of jackass shit-fest again, send me an email at bfarto@inxile.net when you decide to A) Implement an encounter that wasn't designed by a retarded chimp chained to a cubicle A.)Get a Quality Assuarance Department C) Actually beta test the fucking thing and D) Patch it live. And please for god's sake -- do it in the order I laid out for you. Don't worry, I won't charge you a consulting fee on that one. And for good luck you might as well E) Pull your heads out of your asses. While you're at it rename the game to Cuckmaker since you've used up you're alotted false advertising karma on the Avellone scam. '01.Fix the Spider encounter. Fix the first boss encounter. Rethink your combat bullshit. Fix all the buggy motherfucking random encounters (I suggest you let whoever made the soundtrack do this since that dude apparently laid off the crack the rest of you were smoking). Fix resting. Fix final boss (just guessing it's fucked up considering your track record). Don't have the resources to fix this stuff? Move the ENTIRE my.com team over to fixing Spiders AND DO IT NOW. If you don't fix Spiders, you jackassess will be the only ones playing this shit game.
But dear Sir. didn't you realize yet? You are part of the Quality Assurance team already, consider this an honor.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Done with work and getting fully immersed.

I’ve gotta say, the first few hours of Kingmaker have been pretty eye-opening for me. It’s hard to put my finger on it, but the game is a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the other Kickstarter and Kickstarter-adjacent CRPGs.

Maybe it’s because the gameplay doesn’t feel like padding that exists purely to space out lengthy NPC dialogues. I need to get my thoughts in order. For whatever reason, Kingmaker’s a lot more engaging than POE or Deadfire.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

according to D&Dfags, this is a good thing. Armor should do the complete opposite of what you think it would do. That bulky guy in full plate armor? It actually makes him dodge better!

From what I remember of my rulebooks a "miss" doesn't necessarily mean the attack never connected, but rather it was unsuccessful at its job (deal damage). A "missed" attack in D&D might be an attack that doesn't go through armor, gets blocked by a shield, glances off the plate and so on. Problem is, tho...I've never seen/don't remember a game actually ANIMATE those possibilities and in NWN for instance you DO have characters in full plate dodging attacks left and right because the developers interpreted "miss" quite literally. So, yeah, in that game armor DOES make you better at dodging. Use your imagination, lel.

the scarcity of damage reduction(and being completely different from armor) reminds me of why I hate D&D and the stuff based on it
woops a bandit wielding a stick rolled a critical on your fully armored fighter wearing a shield, they're dead. :mad:

If i take a stick and poke it through your eyeball, your fancy armor and shield won't help you one bit. You will die all the same.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The more I play the more game, strangely, reminds me ToEE, not BG1. Maybe it's sounds and animations when you hit giant frogs, maybe disparity between levels in encounters and how you can bite more than you can chew, maybe implementation of d20, or ways to solve things, although mostly it happens when I have to deal with resource management, stat drain, shit like that. Kinda odd feeling, I can't quite put my finger on it. It is especially strong when say can't rest in dungeon cause can't hunt there and panic and try to figure out if I have to press on, or backtrack, or even go to Oleg's and restock, etc.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
The more I play the more game, strangely, reminds me ToEE, not BG1. Maybe it's sounds and animations when you hit giant frogs, maybe disparity between levels in encounters and how you can bite more than you can chew, maybe implementation of d20, or ways to solve things, although mostly it happens when I have to deal with resource management, stat drain, shit like that. Kinda odd feeling, I can't quite put my finger on it.

I agree with your sentiment quite a bit. If this was proper turn-based, it would be a true successor to ToEE.

Codex Year of the Donut
the scarcity of damage reduction(and being completely different from armor) reminds me of why I hate D&D and the stuff based on it
woops a bandit wielding a stick rolled a critical on your fully armored fighter wearing a shield, they're dead. :mad:

If i take a stick and poke it through your eyeball, your fancy armor and shield won't help you one bit. You will die all the same.
yes,poke the person in their eye through the metal visor.
stop trying to defend dumb shit that exists solely to reduce the math needed to be done when sitting at a table, it's terrible for videogames.

yes,poke the person in their eye through the metal visor.
stop trying to defend dumb shit that exists solely to reduce the math needed to be done when sitting at a table, it's terrible for videogames.
your metal visor has holes or a slit for vision no? Hence the critical roll required. :smug:

Ulfhednar

Savant
Had time to sit down and play through the starter dungeon.

The writing is bad in the best way possible. Almost the first thing you hear is one of your companions saying "Oh, hello there 'Chosen One' level 1 PC. Clearly, you will do great heroic deeds and will need a bard to record them. I don't like that gnome with 20 CHA because he's EEEEVVVVIIILLLL... We should travel together, right!?!"

No self-respecting danger-haired Californian starving-college-graduate-turned-career-failure-novel-writer-that-got-a-game-writing-job would ever write such a travesty of an introductory dialogue. These guys aren't looking up synonyms in a thesaurus to convince you that they are the next William Faulkner. God bless the Russians!

Enjoying the heavy-hitting combat. Only major complaint so far is the absurdly slow walking animation. Game needs a fast travel toggle outside of combat.

I only sent them $20 for kickstarter - best ROI for KS dough yet.

imweasel

:lol:
Hope you don't feel left out guys.
Screenshot_2018_9_26_I_love_the_game_but_Pathfinder_Kingmaker_General_Discussions.png
I made a male character and was wondering about this myself while reading the class descriptions... then I remembered that Paizo is run by SJWs.

"The class", "the player character", "the paladin", etc. work just fine, but not for these bozos. It is just stupid BS that serves no purpose other than to virtue signal. Dumb and annoying.

:outrage:

Sentinel

Arcane
Ok, word of advice: turn off combat AI. The AI is fucking retarded and will often trigger attacks of opportunity or dive into completely fucked situations.

Zanzoken

Arcane

From what I remember of my rulebooks a "miss" doesn't necessarily mean the attack never connected, but rather it was unsuccessful at its job (deal damage). A "missed" attack in D&D might be an attack that doesn't go through armor, gets blocked by a shield, glances off the plate and so on. Problem is, tho...I've never seen/don't remember a game actually ANIMATE those possibilities and in NWN for instance you DO have characters in full plate dodging attacks left and right because the developers interpreted "miss" quite literally. So, yeah, in that game armor DOES make you better at dodging. Use your imagination, lel.

I've always felt this was mechanically subpar though because it places limitations on what you can do with characterization and encounter design.

Consider two stock characters -- a speedy assassin in light armor and a bulky knight in plate armor. Two completely different styles of defending, but Armor Class treats them the same.

Now consider two basic types of encounters. The first is against one very powerful monster that is super strong but also slow. The second is against a swarm of small monsters that are fast but individually weak.

It stands to reason that the assassin will do well against the big monster because of the assassin's speed advantage, but the knight will struggle to absorb blows from such a powerful beast. Conversely, the assassin will struggle to dodge blows from the swarm due to being outnumbered, and will take a lot of damage even though the monsters' attacks are individually weak. The knight will excel in that situation though since the little monsters can't penetrate his armor.

I think that illustrates why you need a system that can handle both dodging and soaking damage. You lose something meaningful by condensing them into the same stat.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah, it's silly but here is the thing: in the grand scheme of things it works. Armor class is is a core element of D&D and changing it would imply the game is now using something else that isn't really D&D anymore. And the new solution will have its own set of problems. Essentially you're trading out the advantage of using a playtested and familiar system for very, very little gains. It's exactly what Sawyer tried to do with his PoE thing and the end result is a completely new system that (IMO) tried too hard to fix D&D's perceived "flaws" while being completely oblivious to its own.

Contrary to popular belief, coming up with a new ruleset is NOT an easy task and by using an already established ruleset the devs are free to focus on encounter design/quests/adopting the proper #currentyear pronouns and so on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom