Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While I appreciate that there are some dolphin fingered, one-armed, radiation infected mutants with less than 8 fingers and x2 thumbs who might want to play an RPG with only one hand, or wankers ambidextrous game journalists in general who need their off-hand for their job...
...it still amazes me that people are asking for 1 handed gameplay to be made a feature or priority.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
While I appreciate that there are some dolphin fingered, one-armed, radiation infected mutants with less than 8 fingers and x2 thumbs who might want to play an RPG with only one hand, or wankers ambidextrous game journalists in general who need their off-hand for their job...
...it still amazes me that people are asking for 1 handed gameplay to be made a feature or priority.
"Is this game midget-compliant?"

Codex Year of the Donut
They could have just added a basic BG2-like tutorial. Walk around, memorize spells, rest, learn how to pre-buff, fight some baddies. Wouldn't take much to implement. The actual prologue throws a lot of shit at you without really explaining anything.

For all the shit PoE1&2 rightfully get they at least got the tutorial part right.
For all the shit PoE1&2 rightfully get at least they are finished games.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
They could have just added a basic BG2-like tutorial. Walk around, memorize spells, rest, learn how to pre-buff, fight some baddies. Wouldn't take much to implement. The actual prologue throws a lot of shit at you without really explaining anything.

For all the shit PoE1&2 rightfully get they at least got the tutorial part right.
For all the shit PoE1&2 rightfully get at least they are finished games.
Which is pretty impressive, considering, y'know.
Obsidian.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Imagine two women, one is a hot blond russian that you had amazing sex with but sometimes she is a little strange because she is bipolar, outside some episodes of she thinking bugs are crawling over the roof and threatening to commit suicide with you waiting some periods of her treatment for her bug problem on the hospital, when she is functional, she is actually a great girlfriend.

While you have the other woman, theoretically she is fine, she doesn't need psychiatric drugs with a certain frequency and bug therapy but she is an obese woman that doesn't shave and don't shower with frequency, you complained and complained with her but, every time, she says she knows the best and you are a sexist dickhead that doesn't know better and that she knows better how the relationship should work even if you are having zero fun at it.

The first has something that is salvageable, the second, well... I prefer the crazy russian woman.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The odds are rigged against the second woman from the start. She doesn't have any positive qualities outside of not being crazy and that's a low bar to set, some will even say that's a negative as well.

gestalt11

Arbiter
Well I hope they fix the Monster Tactician archetype sometime in the near future, since I want to play it and having 1/3 of its summons broken makes it pretty unplayable.

Elex

Arbiter
Imagine two women, one is a hot blond russian that you had amazing sex with but sometimes she is a little strange because she is bipolar, outside some episodes of she thinking bugs are crawling over the roof and threatening to commit suicide with you waiting some periods of her treatment for her bug problem on the hospital, when she is functional, she is actually a great girlfriend.

While you have the other woman, theoretically she is fine, she doesn't need psychiatric drugs with a certain frequency and bug therapy but she is an obese woman that doesn't shave and don't shower with frequency, you complained and complained with her but, every time, she says she knows the best and you are a sexist dickhead that doesn't know better and that she knows better how the relationship should work even if you are having zero fun at it.

The first has something that is salvageable, the second, well... I prefer the crazy russian woman.
so basically rpg like women have an hot/crazy scale.
For RPG is a bugged/Incline scale.

Gregz

Arcane
How are you guys successfully theorycrafting without knowing which exotic feats and abilities are bugged?

Isn't it safer to use the story NPCs because they've been tested a bit?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Adding a tutorial would have resulted in an even more broken game though.

Temple of Elemental Evil post-mortem said:
Another thing that was not in the original design or milestone list was time in the schedule for the tutorial to get done, even though a game with as complex rules as ours really needed one. A few very independent team members here just created this on their own and in the very wee hours of the night / morning. It came together rather quickly ultimately, and even though it would have been nice to add a few more lessons, it is incredibly polished and useful.
2. You should always have at least one month for "ADDITIONAL FEATURES" because there will always be something cropping up that wasn't in the original design but really needs to be in there. For our game, things that weren't in the original design include the tutorial, help text and opening vignettes. If you want to make a realistic schedule, you need this as at least one milestone.

With 6 books to adapt, they already had a ton of content to implement.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Is this game midget-compliant?"

I think so. It's also midget-compliment for game journalists and gamers who need one to sit on their lap to operate the keyboard while they perform low-iq tasks like dragging a box around their entire party, instead of pressing a button. Also, stealth, weapon slots, etc.

gestalt11

Arbiter
How are you guys successfully theorycrafting without knowing which exotic feats and abilities are bugged?

No most of the story NPCs are quite bugged and the classes they use are also bugged. For example Tristian is an ecclesithurge and the domain mechanic of being able to slot their primary domain into non-domain slots is bugged and does not work.

This is quite singificant since a Domain like Fire gives you Fireball and a Fire primary ecclistheurge can double as an evocation blaster if it actually worked.

Edit: you are making the mistake of thinking anything was tested. It was not this game was released before the closed beta was allowed to happen. Anyone who has ever participated in a real closed beta recognizes the scope and types of bug present as being what this is.

The game was feature complete, meaning all feature (for the most part) were implemented but not playtested. An Alpha test is usually not feature complete, a Closed Beta is when that happens and is closed, basically, exactly because of the types of bugs you see here are not marketing friendly. Typically you do exactly what they are doing now in a closed beta but without the rushed out hot fixing, i.e. you proritize all the progression bugs/quest NPC bugs then work on the feats etc after about a month of progression fixes.

However since they are doing rushed hot fixes they are breaking a lot more things than typically happen in a real closed beta.

Basically things got release 3 months early so there was never a Closed Beta, but the game was in a pretty normal Closed Beta state.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

No most of the story NPCs are quite bugged and the classes they use are also bugged. For example Tristian is an ecclesithurge and the domain mechanic of being able to slot their primary domain into non-domain slots is bugged and does not work.

This is quite singificant since a Domain like Fire gives you Fireball and a Fire primary ecclistheurge can double as an evocation blaster if it actually worked.
Tristian's Primary Domain is Good, not Fire, and it works fine for me.

However, Tristian does not have a secondary domain at all. He has - as all Ecclesitheurges do - access to all the domain spells of his deity (Sarenrae: Fire, Glory, Good, Healing, Sun). But he flat-out doesn't have a secondary domain, meaning that he never gets a secondary domain power.

But if he did, it would most likely be Healing.

Edit: I am fucking wrong.

Last edited:

gestalt11

Arbiter

However, Tristian does not have a secondary domain at all. He has - as all Ecclesitheurges do - access to all the domain spells of his deity (Sarenrae: Fire, Glory, Good, Healing, Sun). But he flat-out doesn't have a secondary domain, meaning that he never gets a secondary domain power.

Are you sure Good actually works? It can be highly confusing since domains like Good have spells that are normal cleric spells anyway and will in fact slot in non-domain as primary. I tested this with a theurge of Abadar with Protection primary and travel secondary and "Protection from Spells" would not slot in non-domain. Possibly this is due to being also in Travel? But I am pretty sure I tried stoneskin as well which did not work.

Either way the main point is that things never really got tested and the best thing to do if you want to play is try out every build you consider via hacking the save file, find one that is not too bugged and do that for now. In some ways using mercenaries is actually less bugged because it can get around some bugs in the NPC quests.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
want to fucking play this so fucking bad but said I'd wait for a patch but now I see all you fuckers in here playing it and it makes me want to play so is the game playable now? I feel like I could start now and stay ahead of the bugs but don't know if that is just wishful thinking/delusion caused by lack of i n c l i n e

Andnjord

Arcane
Welp, into the tomb of Vordakai I go, lvl11, 24 camping supplies, 128 diamond dusts, playing on Hard.

Time to kill me some cyclop Lich!!!:timetoburn:

I don't actually know for sure if it is one, but it just feels like it should be one

Efe

Erudite

He gets a similar ability later on. rage-like toggle that empowers and maximizes cure spells (+ some more shit)

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Are you sure Good actually works? It can be highly confusing since domains like Good have spells that are normal cleric spells anyway and will in fact slot in non-domain as primary. I tested this with a theurge of Abadar with Protection primary and travel secondary and "Protection from Spells" would not slot in non-domain. Possibly this is due to being also in Travel? But I am pretty sure I tried stoneskin as well which did not work.

Either way the main point is that things never really got tested and the best thing to do if you want to play is try out every build you consider via hacking the save file, find one that is not too bugged and do that for now. In some ways using mercenaries is actually less bugged because it can get around some bugs in the NPC quests.
Actually, I checked, and you're correct, I apologize. I was indeed confused due to the fact that most Good spells (and several other domain spells) already appear as regular spells on the given level (essentially "replacing" the "normal" (and identical) version of that spell on a given level).

However, Good gains "Protection From Evil, Communal" on lvl 2, and it can indeed not be slotted into a non-Domain slot, and it's not just Tristian being bugged, it's apparently simply all Ecclesitheurges. It's bad enough that only like half of all Domain Spells are actually worthwile (seriously, why the fuck would Healing get "Cure Serious Wounds" on lvl 3? You can literally cast Cure Serious Wounds spontaneously, even!) but now even the basic function of the Ecclesitheurge is shot. What a croc of shit.
I forgot this game was a thing.

How do you like it? I'm not reading 300 pages and last few only talk about bugs.

Some oldfag tell me if I should try it.
Great game. Bugged to shit. Play if desperate. Wait if not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom