Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

RegionalHobo

Scholar
Any alternative to freedom of movement vs the wild hunt gaze? What else gives immunity?

immunity? as far as i know nothing besides freedom of movement. even spell res seems useless

Funposter

Arcane
The Chapter 3 trigger is when 'Ancient Curse Part 2' begins. I had something like a 165 day gap between the first and second parts. You're basically meant to spend the rest of your time in Part 2 exploring the Narlmarches, doing companion quests and upgrading your barony.

[That particular quest starts around a month or two after the Candlemere quest trigger.

I had so much spare time to dick around that I ended up doing that quest before the event trigger. The guy turned up to my court and I was able to just tell him, "Oh yeah, thr situation over there is a bit fucked" and I got paid for it.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I hope the dlcs or patches adds shit to do between chapters, like I wrote before, one thing the game is imo lacking, are the more involved sidequests.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
These chapters are bigger than my dick! And my dick is huge!

FFS, haven't had this much fun with RPGs in forever. Between this, ELEX, and Persona 5 for the weebfag in me, this is basically the RPG golden age 3, on par with the Fallout + BG + PST + W8 era, the RoA + Dark Sun + Darlands + old Square jRPG + blobber era. Just need one or two more releases like this and we're there.

Honestly, I thought they would never make a good RPG again. The genre was dead to me for ages. Last time I truly enjoyed RPGs was when I was like 10 to 15 years younger. I had given up on there ever being a good one again long before the Kickstarters. Then, sudden spark of hope: WL 2, Pillows, Torment announced. Then, tragedy: they were all horrible. All of them. I didn't even like Divinity: OS. All those games were shit to me, pale imitations of what I had once seen in this genre.

And here we are now. I'm discussing an RPG. On RPG Codex! I haven't used General RPG discussion for like ten years!!

Last edited:

RegionalHobo

Scholar
These chapters are bigger than my dick! And my dick is huge!

FFS, haven't had this much fun with RPGs in forever. Between this and Persona 5 for the weebfag in me, this is basically the RPG golden age 3, on par with the Fallout + BG + PST era and the RoA + Dark Sun + Darlands + old Square jRPG era. Just need one or two more releases like this and we're there.

i agree, there's insomnia too it s quite the rough gem. far more bugged than even pathfinder but i have hope for it s future

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Too long. On an expensive M2 high end SSD.

Pick up every item, sell or destroy everything, delete unused saves, don't use the stash. Restart game after a few hours. After twelve hours of playing it took me 6 seconds to load the throne room! Ridiculous.

And yes, I did play BG back in the day. And Gothic. Both of these games had way way way longer loading, true, but the games weren't as long.

Just 6 seconds? I wish that was the case for me, though I have more of a mid-range SSD. I think all those items I left lying around are starting to really bog down my game. The cyclops tomb was particularly bad in this regard, with what feels like hundreds of zombies, many of them with gear.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I just want to say, Darth Roxxor is a fucking retard for missing out on this game. This is honest to God the best western RPG in perhaps a decade for those who liked BG and RoA. I'm not even exaggerating.

Also, I have 100k gold. I buy every item that looks nice but I haven't sunk any into BP because I'm terrified that the very next merchant I find will sell something awesome... I missed that feeling. Honestly though, I think you're meant to buy BP with it like you would in pen and paper where you fund your inevitable stronghold with murderhobo things.
I agree on every point, but I must say that some of the itemization is.. questionable. It's not just that I want my fucking 1h slings, but more that some of the gear is just fucking insane in how powerful it is, and how early on you can get it. Combined with the fact that there's a massive disproportion in what gear is available and when (although this might be somewhat due to relative inexperience with the game, and you can theoretically just "go there" to "grab this" in Act 2, I dunno, I don't metagame) and other weirdness (again, who the fuck decided it was a good idea to make both meathead CNPC:s locked in on the same weapon? You could've just not given at least Valerie Exotic Proficiency/Weapon Focus) it makes for some very real issues.

Still, a lot of the shit you can get actually feels unique. My only real gripe is that I prefer it when even "mundane" magic weapons are special enough to get names and histories. The idea of a "run of the mill" magic weapon +1 or +2 should not be a thing. Even a +1 item should feel special, and not just mechanically. I also prefer a much slower curve, where you're stuck with non-magical stuff for longer, making that +1 all the more special. Hard to do, though, so I can't actually fault the game for being what it is, really.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I spent an arm and a leg on that SSD. Benefit: computer boots from hard shutdown to usable Windows in two to three seconds.

Luckman, I agree if this were a manly setting like Dark Sun. But this is a popamole Monty Haul high magic high loot setting. +2 is not going to be rare enough to warrant what you ask for. Wouldn't be in pen and paper either.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Are they planning to do anything about it? Wasteland 2 also used unity but i dont remember that long loading times.
I'm not sure they can do anything about it. Having built-in "cleaning" carries it's own risks (hurrrr why did my berries disappear?!) and isn't optimal, and it might just be really hard to fix, especially since it seems to be inconsistent - some people are clearly having more issues than others, even with curated save folders and whatnot.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I would kill for 6sec loading times, lul, it was so at the beginning but it gets worse and worse the longer you play, picking up/selling all shit doesn't seem to help.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Too long. On an expensive M2 high end SSD.

Pick up every item, sell or destroy everything, delete unused saves, don't use the stash. Restart game after a few hours. After twelve hours of playing it took me 6 seconds to load the throne room! Ridiculous.

And yes, I did play BG back in the day. And Gothic. Both of these games had way way way longer loading, true, but the games weren't as long.
Lol 6s, I wait for 20+ and I also got it on a SSD.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Just 6 seconds? I wish that was the case for me, though I have more of a mid-range SSD. I think all those items I left lying around are starting to really bog down my game. The cyclops tomb was particularly bad in this regard, with what feels like hundreds of zombies, many of them with gear.
Yeah, when the big patch hits and I finally start over, I'm going to be using that damn cleaning mod from the beginning. No way am I going back and cleaning all the areas I've been in.

It is funny, though, that PF:K managed to solve what Sawyer and his ilk claimed was a major issue that you couldn't possibly solve without having an endless shared stash in which people would stuff everything and their mother - people hoovering areas and hauling it all back to the store even if it took multiple trips and were detrimental to the enjoyment of the game - by going in the opposite direction and instead making encumbrance matter more and introducing time as a relevant factor when it comes to gameplay and quest resolution, and then imparting encumbrance feedback upon the player, making it a relevant "stat" to manage same as any other. Presto, people suddenly no longer feel like every piece of armor and every rusty spoon is worth carrying and hauling to a vendor, and it was done without compromising good design and verisimilitude or introducing popamole decline in any way whatsoever.

Get rekt, Sawyer, you and your shitty focus groups and player feedback and quality of life.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I also have a SSD and yes I'm now at 20s + loading times, 20s load the table, 20 sec enter the town on the table map, 20s leave town, 20s leave table, 20s leave throne room, 20s leave capital

wtf

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
On page 189 it says that the bottleneck is actually the CPU and the SSD won't help too much. Why don't you have a 1k processor, poorlord?

That said, apparently they didn't code the loading to be multi-threaded so your amazing eight core bullshit will probably not help.

In short, Russia.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Still, a lot of the shit you can get actually feels unique. My only real gripe is that I prefer it when even "mundane" magic weapons are special enough to get names and histories.
Someone on Steam compared itemization with Roguelikes. U go dungens and quests and get loads of stuff and try to make builds with it, not the other way ("My dude uses only star knives so I demand +1 +3 +5 star knives everywhere").

vazha

Arcane
Damn, as fantastic as Vordakai tomb lvl I was (dat soul eaters fight was epic), the second lvl is an utter chore with its waves of trashmobs. First time I am disappointed with Owlcat encounter design. The first mage with his zombie horde was fun and refreshing, but then they do the same trick over and over again. Golem fight was cool though, that golden one was a tough nut to crack. Also the whole tomb gives you impression that it was designed to make paladins feel better about themselves. Sooo much evul to smite!

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
I also have a SSD and yes I'm now at 20s + loading times, 20s load the table, 20 sec enter the town on the table map, 20s leave town, 20s leave table, 20s leave throne room, 20s leave capital

wtf

It's the same even on my PCI-E SSD. Only Battletech (also Unity...) had it comparably bad, though I haven't played it for quite a while.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

wtf

It's the same even on my PCI-E SSD. Only Battletech (also Unity...) had it comparably bad, though I haven't played it for quite a while.
This is wild guesswork, but maybe the problem is that they do not split the loading up into multiple threads, only loading on one CPU while the others idle around.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I've resorted to drawing or reading during the loadscreens. Reminds me of the days as a wee lad when I played Runescape on a shit internet and did my homework between the spikes.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Damn, as fantastic as Vordakai tomb lvl I was (dat soul eaters fight was epic), the second lvl is an utter chore with its waves of trashmobs. First time I am disappointed with Owlcat encounter design. The first mage with his zombie horde was fun and refreshing, but then they do the same trick over and over again. Golem fight was cool though, that golden one was a tough nut to crack. Also the whole tomb gives you impression that it was designed to make paladins feel better about themselves. Sooo much evul to smite!
A propos paladin and smiting evil. In a thread on steam I saw someone who claimed that he checked regular bandits alignments in the code. It turns out most have the alignment set to 0,0 = exactly (true) neutral, while in the pnp module most bandits are supposedly some kind of evil. Another oversight due to how rushed the game was probably. They just forgot to set alignments to some enemies, leaving them with the default set to 0,0 aka perfectly in the middle, neutral. At least they didn't forget to set it for major enemies or bosses so it shouldnt matter much gameplay wise.

Shadenuat

Arcane
On page 189 it says that the bottleneck is actually the CPU and the SSD won't help too much. Why don't you have a 1k processor, poorlord?

That said, apparently they didn't code the loading to be multi-threaded so your amazing eight core bullshit will probably not help.

In short, Russia.
Again, Russia what?

I can tell that from all the RPGs I played in 10 years, this is about a third one which runs alright and never crashed for me.
Two other RPGs I was happy with loading times and general graphics/quality ratio were Witcher 3 (Poland, but I played already Super Duper End Master Edition) and DOS2 (so not majestic silicon valley either).

Everything else was either crashing, had terrible loading times, or deleted itself from my PC into Abyss like BT4 did.

Oh right, there was also Prey if we count it an RPG. Incredibly pleasant on All-Ultra.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom