Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have yet to see P:KM crash. I know people reported having crashes but P:KM had none for me. If not for the terrible loading time, I would consider this a better release than Xcom 2 (that crashed and went into under 30 fps all the way until a paid expansion).

Parabalus

Arcane
I had 2 crashes only.

The skill checks XP is really hilarious though, 300k XP for talking to 2 guys in a tavern.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think Linzi's feet are going to give me nightmares.

Went to doctor with flu. Off work until Monday!

And yes, it's a CPU bottleneck for load times if you have an SSD and it's still slow. They didn't code it to take advantage of multiple processors so you need an uber CPU that can shine even when using just one core.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think Linzi's feet are going to give me nightmares.

Went to doctor with flu. Off work until Monday!

And yes, it's a CPU bottleneck for load times if you have an SSD and it's still slow. They didn't code it to take advantage of multiple processors so you need an uber CPU that can shine even when using just one core.
CohhCarnage has best hardware money can buy and he still had terrible load times...

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Still, a lot of the shit you can get actually feels unique. My only real gripe is that I prefer it when even "mundane" magic weapons are special enough to get names and histories.
Someone on Steam compared itemization with Roguelikes. U go dungens and quests and get loads of stuff and try to make builds with it, not the other way ("My dude uses only star knives so I demand +1 +3 +5 star knives everywhere").
That is a poor comparison, though, because the game isn't a roguelike, and gear is not random. Further, the system is one that requires premeditation and an element of planning, whether that is a preference I have or not (it is not, I prefer systems where characters are expected to evolve organically, but they are often unsuitable for CRPG's). PF is structured in such a way, systemically, that you almost need to pick your focus long before you can make an informed decision based on the world you are approaching or partaking in.

Valerie and Amiri are both perfect examples of this. They both have Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword and/or Weapon Focus: Bastard Sword, long before there's any information in the game whether bastard swords will be prominent or not in terms of loot, and this decision was made (not by us, but by the developers) on level 1. The player character really is no different, especially in terms of prerequisites. You want to do that on level 1 because it's going to be defining, and if you don't, you will be delaying relevant feat progression by as much as 6 fucking levels.

Parabalus

Arcane
Still, a lot of the shit you can get actually feels unique. My only real gripe is that I prefer it when even "mundane" magic weapons are special enough to get names and histories.
Someone on Steam compared itemization with Roguelikes. U go dungens and quests and get loads of stuff and try to make builds with it, not the other way ("My dude uses only star knives so I demand +1 +3 +5 star knives everywhere").
That is a poor comparison, though, because the game isn't a roguelike, and gear is not random. Further, the system is one that requires premeditation and an element of planning, whether that is a preference I have or not (it is not, I prefer systems where characters are expected to evolve organically, but they are often unsuitable for CRPG's). PF is structured in such a way, systemically, that you almost need to pick your focus long before you can make an informed decision based on the world you are approaching or partaking in.

Valerie and Amiri are both perfect examples of this. They both have Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword and/or Weapon Focus: Bastard Sword, long before there's any information in the game whether bastard swords will be prominent or not in terms of loot, and this decision was made (not by us, but by the developers) on level 1. The player character really is no different, especially in terms of prerequisites. You want to do that on level 1 because it's going to be defining, and if you don't, you will be delaying relevant feat progression by as much as 6 fucking levels.

Giving NPCs focus feats is a sure tell there are good weapons of that type in the game- sure enough, bastard swords are prominent and powerful.

Still can't find a bow better than Devourer of Metal though, fuck this shit :argh:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
On page 189 it says that the bottleneck is actually the CPU and the SSD won't help too much. Why don't you have a 1k processor, poorlord?

That said, apparently they didn't code the loading to be multi-threaded so your amazing eight core bullshit will probably not help.

In short, Russia.
Well, looks like it's worse. They looks like they are using global unique identifier for stuff like skills, which breaks isolation and force game interact with W10. A person with a brain would keep kingdom management loaded in RAM, and there would be zero loading times. Why they didn't allow shortcircuit from throne room to global map, thus forced everyone to two loading screens... It's not like they can self-educate themselves, or do it right first time because of talent.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Giving NPCs focus feats is a sure tell there are good weapons of that type in the game- sure enough, bastard swords are prominent and powerful.

Still can't find a bow better than Devourer of Metal though, fuck this shit :argh:
Devourer of Metal is oversized bow which means -2 to attack for 2d6 instead of 1d8. So -2 for average 7 damage instead of average 4.5. Deadly Aim gives +4 damage for -2 attack. That is more than than 2.5 bonus from Devourer of Metal.
Take that into consideration when finding new bows.

Polanski

Scholar
Apparently my game has reached a broken state after finishing Nok-Nok's quest.

He talked to the giant who then went to the capital to berzerk. I can do the event "Munguk's Drunken Rage" in the kingdom screen, but after failing OR succeeding it, it just pops up again.
And every day or two the giant rampage decreases three of my kingdom stats, so my kingdom will just fail now because of Nok-Nok's goblin diplomacy. Working as intended?

Unsure if I can find a save to dig up or have to wait for a potential bug fix. I do not want to put my kingdom on invincible, since I feel the mode is ingrained in the play experience.

edit: Apparently it is not broken, you just have to get three successes in a row to complete. But there is just no change in the event text to expand on this progress

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Devourer of Metal is oversized bow which means -2 to attack for 2d6 instead of 1d8. So -2 for average 7 damage instead of average 4.5. Deadly Aim gives +4 damage for -2 attack. That is more than than 2.5 bonus from Devourer of Metal.
But averages are also not necessarily the best representation of power in a game that commonly features various forms of damage resistance. The chance of getting a higher total damage can easily be worth more than say, +2.5 vs. +4, especially with enemies where you do not consistently hit over the damage threshold.

Worth taking into consideration.

Parabalus

Arcane

I have obviously. Nothing comes close, since DoM still has the Acid damage.

Give a name/location of a better one.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The magic happens when all the Enlarge spells begin stacking with it and of course crits flow.

Still, I eventually switched it for I believe Composite Bow of Speed for an extra shot.

The best bow for Ekun is
in chapter 6 nymph trader. it gives him free Blindsight.

ArchAngel

Arcane

He talked to the giant who then went to the capital to berzerk. I can do the event "Munguk's Drunken Rage" in the kingdom screen, but after failing OR succeeding it, it just pops up again.
And every day or two the giant rampage decreases three of my kingdom stats, so my kingdom will just fail now because of Nok-Nok's goblin diplomacy. Working as intended?

Unsure if I can find a save to dig up or have to wait for a potential bug fix. I do not want to put my kingdom on invincible, since I feel the mode is ingrained in the play experience.
It is working as intended. You are supposed to succeed that event multiple times before the Giant goes away. Savescum that shit like crazy until you win.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The magic happens when all the Enlarge spells begin stacking with it and of course crits flow.

Still, I eventually switched it for I believe Composite Bow of Speed for an extra shot.

The best bow for Ekun is
Enlarge person is additional -2 to attack and -1 AC and -1 reflex save for +1 damage (from +2 Str) and 3d6 instead of 2d6.. not really worth it. Just use Deadly Aim instead.
Enemies have crazy AC in this game, anything that reduces hit chance is not worth it really.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

The best bow for Ekun is
But the "of speed" additional attack doesn't stack with additional attack from haste. Or does it?

Shadenuat

Arcane
-2 is very easy to counter back with some other buffs and compensate with amount of shots.

For example, Tristian can err touch Ekun for increasing Sacred bonus to BAB multiple times a day.
Ahem.

I wish I could automate his touch somehow.

ArchAngel

Arcane

The best bow for Ekun is
But the "of speed" additional attack doesn't stack with additional attack from haste. Or does it?
I does not. But you can get that extra attack in round one when Haste is not up yet.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Yes, but that's also a post-hoc 'fix' that developers can do, but we cannot. The developers either know that bastard swords are prominent, so they give the CNPC's said proficiencies or foci, or they know that tje CNPC's have said proficiencies and foci, and place bastard swords. It is based on a position of knowledge before the fact or or after the fact, which is precisely my point: You have tjis information, then you can plan for it, precisely because the game isn't a roguelike and the system at it's core rewards pre-planning. Which is exactly why they are good examples and why it is bad to approach character development from the roguelike/random perspective.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is very easy to counter back with some other buffs.

For example, Tristian can err touch Ekun for increasing Sacred bonus to BAB multiple times a day.
Ahem.

I wish I could automate his touch somehow.
And you use that anyways to make sure you get more hits. It does not change what I said. PnP is balanced differently than this game. High AC enemies have low HP and high HP enemies have low AC (edit: except a few enemies like Dragons but you are not supposed to fight those often). That is why feats like power attack and deadly aim exist. But in this game everyone has high HP and high AC.

Parabalus

Arcane

The best bow for Ekun is

But those "of Speed" items are bad since you have haste all the time anyway, maybe not for trash. Had that bow and deemed it unworthy.

Ch6 Nymph trader, got it.

Parabalus

Arcane

The best bow for Ekun is
I does not. But you can get that extra attack in round one when Haste is not up yet.

Why would you not pre-cast haste?

ArchAngel

Arcane

The best bow for Ekun is

Low duration? I never precast spells that last 1 round /lvl.

Parabalus

Arcane

It is working as intended. You are supposed to succeed that event multiple times before the Giant goes away. Savescum that shit like crazy until you win.

Kill the Giant when you see him, praise toro afterwards.

Parabalus

Arcane

The best bow for Ekun is

Before you aggro mobs, at least. With all the metamagic + Oculus you can really have it up all the time, no reason not to.

ArchAngel

Arcane

The best bow for Ekun is

Before you aggro mobs, at least. With all the metamagic + Oculus you can really have it up all the time, no reason not to.
Oculus?
That means you killed Tristan and as result lost all people for one Advisor spot unless you picked up that priest of Lamashu. Good luck keeping your kingdom safe after that without putting it on baby difficulty

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom