Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, I got nothing to play and decided to get one of those 2. Kingmaker weighs heavy especially after BT4s release.

top selling game on steam it looks like, not even released yet

My post with some fabulously optimistic and edgy tags back from February:

Just the kingmaker alpha, even with bugs, missing textures, broken quests, etc, blows away POE 3.0. I think the word of mouth and the long tail on it is going to be pretty good.

Now I just need my damn key.
I don't feel like searching for my posts, but I have made about 10 that also got the same fabulously optimistic tags where I stated that this game looked better than almost any RPG released in last 15 years or so to me, and that I would not be surprised for it to do very well and to eventually be considered the best of the kick-starter age. The only evidence I had for saying any of this is just from looking at developer logs and screenshots. Obviously I don't or can't know for sure at this point, but I have been very optimistic about this game for awhile.
Maybe best on 'Dex but it has no chance to beat Original Sin games as far as general public is concerned. Lack of MP and lack of quirkiness is what kills it for most of the casuals. Also P:KM will have way more numbers and more complex mechanics behind the game.

yes, I agree with all of this. The numbers and depth is what I am very excited and hopeful about. I am thinking that maybe this game will do well over a long period of time if it can bring people who have given up on these type of games being made in the modern age. I don't expect it to do better than games with a large casual appeal, I just think it may end up being well regarded among enthusiasts. That is what I hope.

I also hope that if this is the case that perhaps modders will someday recreate many of the old DnD modules into this engine, like Against the Giants , etc, etc,...that is a long term dream of mine. I was hoping for it in the Temple of Elemental Evil engine, and would still love to see that, but that game is just too hard for anybody to mod and at best we will only get partial projects from very dedicated fans. I am hoping perhaps this game and engine might provide that, however small the chance. However, even if it just provides a good, deep D&D based CRPG, I will be quite satisfied. Any future related content will be a bonus. Modders recreating AD&D modules would be a dream, and while I don't expect it to actually occur, I have some small hope it might.
Did they announce modding tools for P:KM?

I thought so, but maybe I am totally wrong

Polanski

Scholar
BTW, this "Stolen Lands" thing is a stand-in for Eastern Ukraine, right? :lol: And there was a town called "Restov"...? I also liked the idea of separate adventuring parties taking different roads so as to not combat each other. Veeery "Ruslan and Ludmila"-style, "fractured medieval Rus'" idea.

Nice spot! Hopefully the game will also have the happy ending of the liberation and reannexation of the stolen lands back to the motherland, as it has in the real world.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I mean this can still be a successful game off a small base for the studio, Witcher 1 was very much not a game for the proles, but the studio then took that and built Witcher 2 which was recieved much better by the general public.

top selling game on steam it looks like, not even released yet

My post with some fabulously optimistic and edgy tags back from February:

Just the kingmaker alpha, even with bugs, missing textures, broken quests, etc, blows away POE 3.0. I think the word of mouth and the long tail on it is going to be pretty good.

Now I just need my damn key.
I don't feel like searching for my posts, but I have made about 10 that also got the same fabulously optimistic tags where I stated that this game looked better than almost any RPG released in last 15 years or so to me, and that I would not be surprised for it to do very well and to eventually be considered the best of the kick-starter age. The only evidence I had for saying any of this is just from looking at developer logs and screenshots. Obviously I don't or can't know for sure at this point, but I have been very optimistic about this game for awhile.
Maybe best on 'Dex but it has no chance to beat Original Sin games as far as general public is concerned. Lack of MP and lack of quirkiness is what kills it for most of the casuals. Also P:KM will have way more numbers and more complex mechanics behind the game.

yes, I agree with all of this. The numbers and depth is what I am very excited and hopeful about. I am thinking that maybe this game will do well over a long period of time if it can bring people who have given up on these type of games being made in the modern age. I don't expect it to do better than games with a large casual appeal, I just think it may end up being well regarded among enthusiasts. That is what I hope.

I also hope that if this is the case that perhaps modders will someday recreate many of the old DnD modules into this engine, like Against the Giants , etc, etc,...that is a long term dream of mine. I was hoping for it in the Temple of Elemental Evil engine, and would still love to see that, but that game is just too hard for anybody to mod and at best we will only get partial projects from very dedicated fans. I am hoping perhaps this game and engine might provide that, however small the chance. However, even if it just provides a good, deep D&D based CRPG, I will be quite satisfied. Any future related content will be a bonus. Modders recreating AD&D modules would be a dream, and while I don't expect it to actually occur, I have some small hope it might.

No toolset or modding tools

well then my hope for all the modules thing will never happen, but that is fine. There is always Knights of the Chalice 2..

BTW, this "Stolen Lands" thing is a stand-in for Eastern Ukraine, right? :lol: And there was a town called "Restov"...? I also liked the idea of separate adventuring parties taking different roads so as to not combat each other. Veeery "Ruslan and Ludmila"-style, "fractured medieval Rus'" idea.

Nice spot! Hopefully the game will also have the happy ending of the liberation and reannexation of the stolen lands back to the motherland, as it has in the real world.
I believe in the original Kingmaker campaign the "Motherland" is forced to cut all ties with the now independent kingdom because of threat of civil war.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE, Kingmaker...whats the third infinity Engine type Game?
NumaNuma or Tyranny...?

PoE, Kingmaker...whats the third infinity Engine type Game?

I was thinking if Deadfire, but, I guess Tyranny can be counted too. I played Numenera for 16 hours and I would only recommend it to a special breed of Isometric+Purple Prose fetishists.

"Blast your Path"? What kind of tagline is that supposed to be?
A better one than "save your soul, romance a fishboy" in any case.

Curratum

Why is Roqua, the guy who keeps repeating that everyone here should support RPG devs for there to be more RPGs, constantly shitting on this game and saying he's gonna pirate it? Is it because it's made by non-american devs?

No, it's because he's a butthurt and braindead in general.

Dodo1610

Arcane

No toolset or modding tools
Yes but char editing tool already in the works and shit... so there is a hope. Plus it's unity drop in - override and it will prob do something cool.

Of course the lack of official modding tools hasn't really ever stopped people from makeing mods. There are games with official modding tools but very few modders like The Witcher 2 or games that never recieved official tolls but incredible amount of modders like Medieval 2 Total War.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I have no plans of mating with you.
You sure,filthy merican?
;)
s_l640.jpg

If you looked like that I'd mate with you. But then if you looked like that you'd be at a party for models at some billionaire's house instead of pirating kid's games and posting on a kid's rpg furom.
You are being merican again,such women are not an exception to be gawked at in Eastern Europa. Our women are not trucks of fat shopping in a motorcars. I pass such women regularly on the street. Also if i was looking that way i wouldn't give two shits about some rich retard shitting in his pants,will find my self a nice nazi footfetishist bastard and we will go hunting in the night .

Codex Year of the Donut
You sure,filthy merican?
;)
s_l640.jpg

If you looked like that I'd mate with you. But then if you looked like that you'd be at a party for models at some billionaire's house instead of pirating kid's games and posting on a kid's rpg furom.
You are being merican again,such women are not an exception to be gawked at in Eastern Europa. Our women are not trucks of fat shopping in a motorcars. I pass such women regularly on the street. Also if i was looking that way i wouldn't give two shits about some rich retard shitting in his pants,will find my self a nice nazi footfetishist bastard and we will go hunting in the night .
is it because you're too poor to be able to buy food?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You sure,filthy merican?
;)
s_l640.jpg

is it because you're too poor to be able to buy food?
Nah,so we could be agile enough to jump from your window with all the jewels after we fucked your woman,mate.

bataille

Arcane
Dang, so the game allows you to choose for resting NOT to heal status ailments! Guess we're going druid now! If only for the new and exciting experience of actually using spells like cure disease. Preparing to expand my mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom