Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Edgy! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/1932363

Companions: Regongar - the meanest magus on this side of the Inner Sea
Posted by Oleg

Dear Pathfinders,

It’s time for another companion update! Picking up where we left off, we’re now introducing Regongar, a half-orc magus whose fate is closely intertwined with Octavia's (we told you about her a bit earlier).

Just like Octavia, Regongar had a rough start in life. A childhood and youth spent in the Technic League’s captivity has left a permanent mark, forever changing the half-orc. But while Octavia believes that his suffering has destroyed almost everything good in Regongar, he thinks otherwise. In the crucible of servitude the magus* steeled himself for future challenges, forged his iron will and deadly proficiencies which made the free Regongar a living nightmare for the Technic League and its agents.

09a0ec720a27ea15fa3bb2d14f49c4c2_original.jpg

Regongar is extremely selective in choosing his companions: he abhors weakness, indecisiveness, and hypocritical prudery. A person that wins Regongar’s respect should be wary of such an honor: this magus has no friends except for Octavia, and he has no pity for those who disappoint him. Striking a deal with such a cataclysmic entity is a hazardous enterprise, but those who are brave – or crazy – enough to do so will be rewarded with a companion who knows neither rules nor boundaries. When he wants something, this half-orc has no scruples about stepping over a couple of bodies (or a dozen) or traveling to the deepest pits of Abaddon and back. Any team that collaborates with Regongar receives an unrestrained force that intimidates everyone – from the common soldiers on the battlefield to the lords in high castles.

Unlike Octavia, Regongar relishes melee combat: the magus makes a good use of magic protection and destructive spells as well as of his trusty blade. He has mastered many spells but his favorite are those that harness the power of electricity – an element that turns into a deadly force in his hands. Facing an angry Regongar is a truly terrifying experience, and he uses his ability to intimidate to his own advantage: sometimes his mere appearance on the battlefield is enough to make enemies flee. While out of combat, the half-orc can horrify his enemies with a sideways glance and a menacing phrase.

52a32b49cb02210eb0c672452e27caeb_original.gif

Regongar is brave, decisive and inexorable – great traits for those who are eager not only fight personally but lead others as well. Trusted with a governing position, he will become an astonishing warlord that keeps his own men in absolute fear and submission.

* Initially Regongar was intended to be a sorcerer but since we reached the Magus stretch goal, we decided to shake things up and change his class for he fits it well.

Hail to the kings!

Owlcats.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Sounds like someone I don't want in my party. If I wanted someone that judged everything I did, and overreacted to anything they didn't like, I'd just bring Jaheira with me into every game. :P

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like funding is picking up again. If that continues, maybe they can make the $700k stretch goal by tomorrow.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/1932473

The final 3 days! Fan feedback, games media impressions and Skydiving!
Posted by Oleg

Dear Pathfinders,

As we're approaching the end of our Kickstarter campaign, we're giving it everything we've got to reach those stretch goals. This means we are going to up the frequency of our updates for the last days of our campaign.

Compilation of press feedback
Since we had announced Pathfinder: Kingmaker almost two months ago we saw quite the interest from the game media. It is always very exciting to get feedback on your game, especially at the early stages of development. For those of you who missed the articles we made a brief compilation.

North America:

"Almost everything I asked about in terms of story seemed to have a layer beyond what I expected--the advantage of having years of tabletop playtesting, perhaps. If these different aspects of Kingmaker can coalesce into a dramatic whole, this could be special."IGN.com

these are many common elements in a CRPG title, but Pathfinder's setting and lore makes this particular outing feel otherwise distinct... If the alpha build was any indication, then there’s plenty of opportunities to shape your own identity and leave your mark on the world.” Gamespot.com

“Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a much-anticipated isometric RPG take on the classic pen-and-paper game.” – PCGamer.com

"For fans of the tabletop game, this will be a great opportunity to translate their fantasy adventures to their desktops." – Game Informer

"First impressions from in and around the bandit lord's fortress; the game looks incredible. The in-progress menus are attractive and orderly, the environments lush and vivid, the character portraits appealing and refined. What voice acting there was, was convincing and professional." – mmorpg.com

France:

"We urge you to keep throwing money at their faces." – FactorNews.com

"A game to follow closely." – JeuxVideo.com

Netherlands:

Don’t bash your head in on missing the opportunity, there is still time to back this!” – Fok.nl

Italy:

Owlcatgames are veterans in the development of classic and powerful Role Playing games!” – VG247.it

Poland:

This is a very experienced team that can hopefully make a quality game out of Pathfinder: Kingmaker” – Gry-Online.pl

Russia:

"The project seems very promising at the current stage. Owlcat managed to get Chris Avellone on board before the start of the campaign (we may remind you that the creators of Torment: Tides of Numenera had to collect money for this). They are full of ideas, and they are being actively supported - including fund raising - by their community. There is a vision for this project, there are experienced hands, there is a community's belief in success. No barriers - so we are anticipating an excellent game." – Igromania.ru

"Pathfinder: Kingmaker is an isometric CRPG based on the Pathfinder board game and seems to be made in the best traditions of Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Arcanum." – playground.ru

Feedback from PaizoCon visitors
Of course we don't just receive feedback from the gaming press. Thank to your interest we received thousands of public and personal comments. A lot of them seeded thoughts in our minds and some even started internal holy-wars about design or art aspects :)

We can't deny ourselves the pleasure to post a video with the very first public feedback we got while demonstrating our demo at PaizoCon this May. The quality of the video isn't great, because we captured it in the live environment of the conference. But maybe some of you may recognize familiar faces :)

Many thanks to all PaizoCon visitors who shared their feedback with us!

In Closing
Finally, if you haven't yet, please spread the word about our campaign. There are 3 days left, and we'd love to reach even more of our stretch goals.

And one more thing!
One of the owlcats is brave (and crazy!) enough to be very passionate about parachuting. Alexander Chernyakov is working as a graphic software engineer. So technically, he stands behind everything you can see in the game. But what is more, he's gone skydiving over 350 times! Can you imagine that? Most of us would be too scared to try this even once! And you know what they say: if at first you don't succeed, then skydiving probably isn't for you.

Alexander had the idea to jump with a Pathfinder: Kingmaker banner. Check out what happened!

Hail to the kings!

Owlcats.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
^That is not a preview, it's just two random Youtube dorks talking about the game(s).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/1932826

Your Neighbors in the Stolen Lands: Future Allies and Adversaries
Posted by Oleg

Pathfinders!

We have already told you about the inhospitable realm known as the Stolen Lands — the place destined to become the foundation of your very personal barony, and then your future kingdom. But, for better or for worse, the Stolen Lands don't exist in a vacuum. Today we are going to tell you about its neighbors — some of your future allies and adversaries.

Brevoy

To the north lies Brevoy — a turbulent land of byzantine intrigues and generations-long feuds. Stitched together from two different nations, Brevoy never became truly united. Two centuries ago a ruthless warlord known as Choral the Conqueror has taken over Issia and Rostland. These two countries shared a long history of wars, and the warlord united them into a single kingdom, held together by little more than the iron grasp of Choral himself and his noble house Rogarvia. For the following two centuries, the Brevic politics became an undercover power struggle between two former nations' ruling elites: Issian noble houses and Rostland's Aldori Swordlords — a loose association of noble families, bound together by the secrets of the Aldori school of sword fighting and an agreement known as the Swordpact. Decade after decade, these uneasy bedfellows smiled at each other, secretly waiting for the ideal moment to stab each other in the back.

A decade ago, every member of house Rogarvia suddenly disappeared without a trace, leaving behind a power vacuum pregnant with strife that could easily turn into a civil war. Running out of options, the Aldori Swordlords made a risky political move: they helped an unknown adventurer to establish an independent nation in the unclaimed Stolen Lands, hoping to nurture an ally for themselves. Only time will show if this plan will save them, or backfire terribly.

f6664a86a9400fde3966812dffb65e50_original.png

River Kingdoms

A chaotic conglomerate of large and small domains, united by a vast river system, collectively known as the great river Sellen, and by their taste for freedom. There are more than a dozen "kingdoms" with vastly different political systems, ranging from tyranny to anarchy. While the fledgling nation you establish isn't technically one of the River Kingdoms, once you prove yourself a force to be reckoned with, your neighbors will turn their eyes to you.

Your southern neighbor is Mivon — a nation established by Aldori Swordlords who preferred a life in exile to Choral the Conqueror's yoke. Mivon proudly calls itself a meritocracy — a place where only the best are allowed into the positions of power. How do they decide who is the best? Why, by a fair duel, of course! To take a governmental position, one has to fight their way up the List of Suitors, then challenge and defeat the current official.

Beyond your western border is Pitax — a flourishing center of culture and commerce, or a wretched den of smugglers, swindlers, gamblers and talentless hacks, depending on whom you ask. It is ruled by king Irovetti, who won the crown from its previous holder in a game of cards. Cunning, ruthless and vain, Irovetti has expanded Pitax's influence and established the Academy of Grand Arts, hoping to go down in history as a benevolent patron of high culture, not just another crime lord. Unfortunately, his favorite genre of art is "praised be the great lord Irovetti", so the Academy ended up becoming a choir of boot-licking sycophants where it's hard for a talent to flourish. Nevertheless, Pitax has attracted its share of artists, and some of the Academy's former students proudly wear their expulsion from it on their sleeves, as a sign of artistic integrity.

9cbd8cfcf56695e4969f6102bff534e4_original.jpg

Numeria

To the northwest lies Numeria — a harsh, unforgiving realm of barren wastelands, littered with wreckage of a metal star ship that crashed here in time immemorial. Numeria has few permanent settlements, as it's populated by nomadic barbarian tribes. Some of them struggle to survive on their own. Some bow to Kevoth-Kul, the self-appointed Black Sovereign of Numeria, and his allies, the mysterious Technic League. Less scrupulous tribes resort to piracy, banditry or even slave trade. More noble tribes sell their blades to the highest bidder. Ferocity of the Numerian mercenaries is well known in the River Kingdoms. And if you hold to your throne for long enough, you'll inevitably meet them — the only question is, will they fight on your side, or against you?

8a044540aec5a6b14cb424063e98ec99_original.png

One more thing: The sound of Magic
We already told you how we create magic spells in our game. In this update, we will expand this topic a little bit more and tell you how we work with sound effects for spells.

As mentioned earlier, Pathfinder: Kingmaker will have more than 300 magic spells. Sounds like a ton of work, right? Luckily for us, there are many spells with similar mechanics, so we don't have to make unique assets every time we need a new spell. Instead, we decided to create a set of basic sounds which can be combined into a complex spell sound right as a spell is cast.

In terms of sound, most magic spells can be characterized by their Type (bursts, impacts, channeling and projectile sounds) and their Domain (elemental or magical). For example, the sound of casting a Fireball can be constructed from a fast fire burst and a wind burst sound, and if we want more beauty in what we hear, we can add a special "magic" element which will embellish the final mix.

Keeping that in mind, we designed a Unity component, which allows us to add as many sound layers as we need to a visual effect. Plus we can change their volume and pitch if we feel that a specific basic sound is too loud, too low or too high for our needs.

This video demonstrates how we create different sounds for Ray of Frost from scratch:

Of course, this method cannot cover every last magic spell - some of them will definitely require signature sound effects (like Hideous Laughter - hardly any other spell features the sound of laughter). But when talking about a series of similar spells, our spells sound constructor really saves valuable time for unique material. And suddenly, the number of 300+ spells is not all that scary anymore.

Did you enjoy our new video? Do you have questions or feedback? Get in touch with us in the comments section!

28f272767ef1fb7fc783b586935ab4e4_original.png

* All specific names are used only as reference to original Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (R) entities and could be subject to change in the Pathfinder:Kingmaker CRPG.

Hail to the kings!

Owlcats.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Money is really starting to pour in now. Stretch goal should be reached in a few hours.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
I thought 700k was pretty much assured as of a week ago. Whether they can add 100+k to the totalk (in the next 50-some hours) to reach 800 is the big question :)

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I thought 700k was pretty much assured as of a week ago. Whether they can add 100+k to the totalk (in the next 50-some hours) to reach 800 is the big question :)

Daily funding has been going from 16k to 21k during the last few days, so I guess it is not impossible. Or they may end up with 750k~ or so.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Hah! Copying Siege of Dragonspear too? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/1932923

Extra story chapter is funded! New stretch goal - Goblin companion.
Posted by Oleg

Dear Pathfinders,

Extra story chapter is funded!

Thanks to your incredible support, we have just reached the stretch goal that will expand original Pathfinder Kingmaker AP story! O_o there was a dеmonic laughter just heard in the owlcats cave - narrative designers were celebrating the ability to weave new secrets into the game plot...

And what is more, those of you who pray Mac & Linux will not need to change your deity - Pathfinder: Kingmaker will be available on your sacred ground.

6d22d32eab1dd05c69262f6f67b074ca_original.jpg

The result of the campaign so far exceeds our initial dreams, you can't imagine how excited we are that your help allows us to make our game so much bigger and better. We would like to express our heartfelt gratitude and appreciation to each and every one of you!

With the extra story chapter funded we are happy to present our new stretch goal:

7e24ed62765d72034a497755f61117a8_original.jpg

and here we have the special tale about our new companion from our Narrative Designer Chris Avellone.

The Goblin’s Tale
The goblins of Golarion have a bad reputation, to be sure. Of course, that’s usually the perspective of someone who hasn’t spent much time around goblins and has never seen the positives goblins have to offer.

a5c67f9d42d354390c3ea20f66b3270a_original.jpg

For example, goblins can be especially devoted. Whether to their four goblin hero-gods, or to you. Of course, their attempts to earn your favor can be much like the family cat leaving dead animals on your door step, except it might be someone’s fingers. Such is the way with our goblin hero Nok-Nok, which is much like the sound his skull makes when his tribesmen beat it with clubs. (Which happened enough that he was mistaken for a drum at times.) He’s not only eager to help, but he’s incredibly effective in tormenting your enemies until they beg for mercy – or a swift death.

53a09e9a2e9c49e094bd2f521a2a9b43_original.jpg

At the start of Kingmaker, however, Nok-Nok’s fallen on difficult times – very difficult times, as his tribe intends to use him as a sacrifice. You’re the only one who can save him… and as far as Nok-Nok is concerned, your arrival is divine proof that he’s destined for greatness. He should know, because as he explains, he’s the fifth goblin god, and you’ve earned his favor.

As it turns out, Nok-Nok aspires to be more than a warty, scabby head-drum – he is convinced that he is a deity-to-be. He’s just having some difficulty making anyone else realize it. He can recite many tales of heroics and can expound at great length on how he’s bravely fled from dogs, how he set fire to his own hair when he couldn’t find firewood (he neglected to cut it from his head first), and how he’s learned how to block kicks and punches by using his head as a shield. And that’s just the beginning of his legendary journey to greatness.

5c8304ce895adebd9ea8b779244f0a36_original.jpg

Nok-Nok is a skilled thief. He excels in scuttling about, valiantly stabbing enemies in the back, and setting off every trap in the area (so much so, Nok-Nok’s attempts to disarm a trap come very close to being literal – the trap usually threatens to dis-arm him). He does, however, have an incredible resistance to pain, attracts an unusual coterie of “pets,” and embraces various junk and trinkets you find on your journey as if they were hard-won trophies of his heroics.

If you lend him a helping hand, Nok-Nok’s quick to call you family – play your cards right, and he might even let you be among his worshippers of Nok-Nok (the Fifth, or in his words “the Fith” or sometimes, in other’s words, “the Filth”).

Hail to the kings!

Owlcats.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
ad466d35a74a2b8edfb8967b099c6f8f_original.jpg

Looks like the next stretch goal is another race, but good luck reaching that.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Fucking gobbos man

Looks alright.

I downed my pledge to the lowest possible tier, just enough to get a regular digital. Looks like it will be ok

Please contain your enthousiasm my friend

Or perhaps this is the only spark that your old being is able to muster

A sad story but it makes me laugh all the same

pomenitul

Arbiter
Update #28: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/1933161

The final 48 hours! Reddit-AMA on Monday and some city music for your listening pleasure.

Pathfinders,

It's been great fun answering your questions during our Reddit-AMA last time.

We are constantly receiving a lot of new comments, and happy to answer as many of them as we can. Your feedback is one of the most valuable parts of the Kickstarter campaign. Your thoughts inspire many new ideas and discussions regarding the development of our game.

To give you another opportunity to be heard and ask questions, we are hosting another AMA-Session on Reddit (reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/) on Monday, 10th of July at 11:59am PDT / 6:59pm GMT / 8:59pm CET.

Taking part in the AMA will be creative director Alexander Mishulin and narrative designer Chris Avellone like the last time. So, if you have any questions about gameplay features and mechanics or storytelling... or anything..., be sure to stop by and chat with us! Save the date and ask them any question you like!

Capital Music Themes
Inon Zur provides us with the overall musical atmosphere for the Stolen Lands, which has completely won our hearts. And having these music "anchors" we are happy to expand our audio content into different directions to match the diverse environments of the Pathfinder universe.

As one of those directions, we are planning to add some "traditional folk music" themes that you will hear at populated locations - towns and villages. And check out what we had got just yesterday. It is still work in progress, but we already like how it sounds :) So, let's listen to what our citizens love to perform!

The creator of these themes, Dmitry V. Silantyev, has a great background in folk music - he played domra and accordion in a folk instruments orchestra before his career as a music composer. We have known him through our work on our previous projects, and we believe that his music will enhance our adventures in the Stolen Lands.

Hail to the Kings,

Owlcats.

36e9e3efb695d758324b0e7c7dc3428c_original.png

santino27

Arcane
Patron
83k to go for archetypes in 2 days. Feeling a bit more optimistic, but that could be the whisky talking.

Prime Junta

I'm still teetering on the brink. Sorta kinda feeling it but that Pathfinder aesthetic makes my eyes bleed, and I'm not a superfan of the system (although it's far from the worst).

Tao

Savant
Is there any core race left? Anyway i want the dhampir

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom