Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Game options and character creation in the Closed Alpha version of Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Things Owlcat Games asked me to mention:
Alpha means incomplete. Not all content and features are fully implemented, not all in-game copy is perfect, there will be bugs - this game is still a work in progress.
For more information on Pathfinder: Kingmaker please visit https://goo.gl/SwTxgo

game looks damn awesome to me both figuratively and literally. I am more excited for this game than any RPG since Temple of Elemental Evil. Also looking forward to knights of the chalice 2, mostley because I have hopes some of the original D&D modules will be created in the engine. Perhaps I will do it myself if the modding is easy enough for me to use.

I have obviously high hopes for this game. Probably means I will be disappointed. I did not like PoE, Tides, or DOS 1 or 2..and I only sort of tolerated Wasteland. I hope I like this game, and fr0m what I have seen so far I believe I will. They have created and added some creative game play ideas that lean toward added complexity and depth which is a refreshing change from the constantly streamlined and simplified decline we mostly encounter when complex rule sets are adapted to the computer. That is one of the main reasons I have become so bullish on this game.

What gets my hope up is that is based on an existing well established pnp ruleset. This is a part (well, one of) where I think PoE dropped the ball - it is based on a ruleset designed for computer games first and only. If you want to capture the feel of old fashion pnp roleplay or dungeon romp, start with a pnp ruleset and adapt it to the new medium where necessary.

Not to mention that is is also based on an existing setting and campaign books of reasonable quality as a foundation to build writing and story on. If this delivers, it's going to be something actually deserving an eventual retrospective review.

sstacks

Arcane
Two combats with bandits, leveling up, and buying / selling at Oleg's Trading Post

Things Owlcat Games asked me to mention:
Alpha means incomplete. Not all content and features are fully implemented, not all in-game copy is perfect, there will be bugs - this game is still a work in progress.
For more information on Pathfinder: Kingmaker please visit https://goo.gl/SwTxgo

I like how campy and cheesy the writing on the journal and in the character sheets is (I skipped over the dialogue)

Makes me want to have character with a last name like Blackleaf

Trashos

Arcane
Looks potentially sweet. I like the style of the art, too.

Is it turn-based RTwP (like IE games) or non turn-based (like PoE)?

Minor nitpicking: I do not like the lines connecting the attacker with the enemies when ones chooses who to attack. I find them immersion breaking. Hopefully they will be togglable.

PS. In case people don't understand what I mean by "turn-based RTwP", I remind you that combat in BG2 was based on 6-second turns. PoE abandoned that concept.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Looks potentially sweet. I like the style of the art, too.

Is it turn-based RTwP (like IE games) or non turn-based (like PoE)?

Minor nitpicking: I do not like the lines connecting the attacker with the enemies when ones chooses who to attack. I find them immersion breaking. Hopefully they will be togglable.
From what I have watched so far, it is way more similar to IE games than to PoE.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I like how campy and cheesy the writing on the journal and in the character sheets is (I skipped over the dialogue)

Makes me want to have character with a last name like Blackleaf
All the character descriptions and journal entries are written by a young female gnome bard that is also your companion. The whole game is kind of a story in her book that she wrote.. very IWD like.

Ent

Savant
A magus without shocking grasp hurts my soul but the game itself is looking pretty nice so far.

ArchAngel

Arcane
How come people getting access to new Alpha and videos being available of it didn't get a News Post?
It is certainly more interesting that whatever shitty PoE2 update got a news post

Is Infinitron trying to get himself hired by Obsidian again?

Theldaran

Liturgist
How come people getting access to new Alpha and videos being available of it didn't get a News Post?
It is certainly more interesting that whatever shitty PoE2 update got a news post

Is Infinitron trying to get himself hired by Obsidian again?

It will go like this:

PoE2 will get the fame, and (hopefully) Kingmaker will get the quality.

Huh. Idle animations of characters are completely in sync. A nitpick, but it's noticeable and looks weird, it makes them look like they are swaying in the wind.

Also, elven curved blade deals 2d10 damage? Should be half that.

PrettyDeadman

POE isn't that bad, but situation around Pathfinder:Kingmaker does look like some kind of conspiracY.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In before the "Jews are behind this" gif.

It's "The Jews Did This".

TT1 sstacks or somebody else who has alpha access, if you got an email or some sort of announcement message from Owlcat about the new alpha, please copy-paste it here. To post news I need CONTENT and Owlcat haven't supplied any (I guess Kickstarter updates about lighting algorithms are more interesting)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also I don't know if you noticed in the videos and this might not be news to everyone but they got Attacks of Opportunity already implemented. Even for moving.

sstacks

Arcane
In before the "Jews are behind this" gif.

TT1 sstacks or somebody else who has alpha access, if you got an email or some sort of announcement message from Owlcat about the new alpha, please copy-paste it here. To post news I need CONTENT and Owlcat haven't supplied any (I guess Kickstarter updates about lighting algorithms are more interesting)

Infinitron

I wasn't told this was NDA or anything, so:

Have you got what it takes to rule a kingdom? With the help of your advisors you take care of the affairs of your subjects and communicate with delegates of the neighboring kingdoms. But it's not just all politics! Trolls, bandits, and other dangerous beasts are threatening the lands and it is up to you to end their threat. Explore, engage in real-time strategic combat, discover treasure and ancient artifacts, and become the ruler of the Stolen Lands!

But you won't be undertaking this adventure alone – many companions will join you on your journey, lending their strength to yours. Together, you can conquer any foe and overcome the greatest challenges. And they're not just soulless puppets - like you, they have their own story, goals, and motivations! Talk to them, get to know them by the campfire during your adventures. Watch them become your loyal friends - or turn on you if you betray their trust.

You won't get the complete set of abilities and spells planned for the final release version. Here is a quick look at some of the things you can look forward to in the Alpha build:

▪ A first look at the Kingdom feature - Kingdom events, councilor management
▪ 20+ hours of playable content from the first 3 chapters of the game
▪ 14 classes (including new ones - Inquisitor, Magus, Monk, Paladin, Sorcerer, Druid, Bard)
▪ All six core races (dwarves, elves, gnomes, half-orcs, halflings, humans)
▪ Meet 3 new companions, who will join you on your adventure, including Nok-Nok designed by Chris Avellone
▪ Raise your party to level 10 and choose new abilities and spells as your heroes get ever more powerful
▪ Use a wide selection of spells for each spellcasting class up to character level 10, with more to come in the final release
▪ Master feat chains like Two-Weapon-Fighting or Spell Focus
▪ Fight a variety of creatures in the Stolen Lands as well as challenging boss battles
▪ Overcome dangerous traps as you explore the Stolen Lands and their deadly dungeons

So, what are you waiting for? Golarion awaits!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks.

BTW can someobody tell me what the game's Steam appid is?

Retrieve the Application ID for a Steam Game

*This process can also be used for Demos, Media, and other products on Steam:
  • Login to the Steam account
  • Go to your Library
  • Right click the installed game and choose "Create desktop shortcut"
  • Go to your Desktop and locate the new shortcut
  • Right-click on the shortcut and select Properties
  • Look at the target path for the number following steam://rungameid/. This number is the Application ID for the game.

All the character descriptions and journal entries are written by a young female gnome bard that is also your companion. The whole game is kind of a story in her book that she wrote.. very IWD like.

Oohhhh that makes a lot of sense only a girl can be that sappy

I hope she writes good things about me (character)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom