Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Theldaran

Liturgist
All the character descriptions and journal entries are written by a young female gnome bard that is also your companion. The whole game is kind of a story in her book that she wrote.. very IWD like.

Oohhhh that makes a lot of sense only a girl can be that sappy

I hope she writes good things about me (character)

That's... s-sexism.

sstacks

Arcane
Looks potentially sweet. I like the style of the art, too.

Is it turn-based RTwP (like IE games) or non turn-based (like PoE)?

PS. In case people don't understand what I mean by "turn-based RTwP", I remind you that combat in BG2 was based on 6-second turns. PoE abandoned that concept.

I THINK it's "turn based" RTwP. My reason for this is the combat info shows initiative rolls at the beginning of combat for everyone, and then they seem to act in that order initially.

sstacks

Arcane
A magus without shocking grasp hurts my soul but the game itself is looking pretty nice so far.

LOL well I am not familiar with the Pathinder specific stuff added to D&D 3.5, I chose a Magus because that is what people asked for on this thread.

Any tips are welcome.

I will also probably do some livestreaming on Twitch or YouTube so folks can give me real time feedback / advice.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Will they change that you can steal peoples' stuff from under their nose and even sell it back to them?

The game looks really good though, I praised the UI and its use of animations already, but I think the whole style with the kinda low rez / smoothed textures on objects is a nice middle-ground between cartoony and realistic.

The character sheet is pretty good and I like the whole progression view.

LOL well I am not familiar with the Pathinder specific stuff added to D&D 3.5, I chose a Magus because that is what people asked for on this thread.
Your regular magus has two nifty abilities - spell combat (cast with off hand while doing full attacks with one-handed melee weapon) and spellstrike (deliver touch spells with weapon, with possible critical damage). While I'm not a big fan of this, shocking grasp is the spell most used for this. Cast shocking grasp, move into melee, spellstrike for possibly massive damage, and still get your full normal weapon attacks. If you lack damaging touch spells you can also use a touch cantrip this way (arcane mark can be used this way, but touch of fatigue that normally is not a magus spell is better as it actually does something useful), essentially gaining a bonus weapon attack (that now also fatigues target).

Don't know how that plays out in rtwp though.

Ent

Savant
Also the benefit of casting a spell through your weapon via spell strike is that the spell can critically hit for double damage if the weapon strike used to deliver the spell successfully crits. Thats why magi tend to like one-handed weapons with large crit windows such as rapiers, scimitars, falchions etc.

Especially scimitars because of the Dervish Dance feat, dump strength and pump dex for attack and damage. Shocking grasp + scimitar magus is almost a cliche, it's why I dislike this combination.

Ent

Savant
The last time I played there were new feats like fencing grace and slashing grace added to get dex to damage on rapier and other weapons.

The last time I played there were new feats like fencing grace and slashing grace added to get dex to damage on rapier and other weapons.
There are, but the official ruling seems to be that those don't work with magus spell combat because spell cast in off hand counts as a weapon and those feats need empty hand. Only Dervish Dance works, because who the fuck knows why. Maybe someone had a hard-on for Drizzt and his scimitars.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Sorry for the silence. I'm in the midst of a move from Brazil to Poland and this seems to affect me more than I imagined.

I installed the game recently and only played for half an hour. Some things to say:

- I played AD&D for several years of my life and stopped playing during the launch of the 3rd edition. So for me, creating a character in Pathfinder is like returning to an old happy memory. It's all there, from the six classic attributes to the skills, like "blind fighting". It's a beauty in game form.

- The character creation screen is one of the best I've seen (though several icons are still missing). Large letters, multiple details, a lot of customization options.

- I started a playthrough of a Neutral Evil character, my preferred alignment, but I found some pretty silly replies to this alignment. I hope this is fixed in the final version. Anyway, I will give my feedback on the official forum.

- I did not have high expectations for this game but I was positively surprised. I will play more and follow the development closely. This game has everything to become a great classic of our generation.

M0RBUS

Augur
I don't know exactly how these guys do their marketing (as in maybe they're going for viral only), but everyone seems to be loving this.
Me included. I think they're doing a bang-up job with everything, including the writing, which is where I was the most apprehensive. Linzi seems like a very interesting character :)

Last edited:

Ent

Savant
They errata'd Fencing and Slashing grace? The feats did not have that nothing in the offhand restriction on release. Well that sucks - they are really hesitant to add more sources of dex to damage in game.

It's the "You do not gain this benefit while fighting with two weapons or using flurry of blows, or anytime another hand is otherwise occupied." part. They errata'd this to specifically include spell combat. And I actually agree with limiting dex to damage, if it was up to me I'd dump all feats that do that completely. But why so specifically kick any non-scimitar magus, but leave dervish dancers alone? Scimitar fetish, that's why.

Cross

Arcane
This looks surprisingly competent, though I don't know why the HUD icons look like an exact replica of the ones in PoE...

How is character death handled?

Palomides

Augur
I want to kill the stupid midget bard, her attitude is irritating already.
The user interface looks much nicer and is possibly superior to pillars of eternity.
This game is actually exciting me, though I shall remain sceptical.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The overland map has a great RoA vibe - would be even better if the talk only encounters would be handled without zooming into a battleground.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom