Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, May 17, 2017.

1. Background Character Learned

Background Character

Oohhhh that makes a lot of sense only a girl can be that sappy

I hope she writes good things about me (character)

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Theldaran Scholar

Theldaran
    That's... s-sexism.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. sstacks Arcane

sstacks
    I THINK it's "turn based" RTwP. My reason for this is the combat info shows initiative rolls at the beginning of combat for everyone, and then they seem to act in that order initially.

• nice nice x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. sstacks Arcane

sstacks
    I hope so cuz I'm putting points in Mobility :P

^ Top  
  5. sstacks Arcane

sstacks
    LOL well I am not familiar with the Pathinder specific stuff added to D&D 3.5, I chose a Magus because that is what people asked for on this thread.

Any tips are welcome.

I will also probably do some livestreaming on Twitch or YouTube so folks can give me real time feedback / advice.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Will they change that you can steal peoples' stuff from under their nose and even sell it back to them?

The game looks really good though, I praised the UI and its use of animations already, but I think the whole style with the kinda low rez / smoothed textures on objects is a nice middle-ground between cartoony and realistic.

The character sheet is pretty good and I like the whole progression view.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Ent Learned

Ent
    So how does initiative work in game?

^ Top  
  9. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    I think like in 3.5 / Pathfinder it's rolled, the rolls are in the log

^ Top  
  10. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Your regular magus has two nifty abilities - spell combat (cast with off hand while doing full attacks with one-handed melee weapon) and spellstrike (deliver touch spells with weapon, with possible critical damage). While I'm not a big fan of this, shocking grasp is the spell most used for this. Cast shocking grasp, move into melee, spellstrike for possibly massive damage, and still get your full normal weapon attacks. If you lack damaging touch spells you can also use a touch cantrip this way (arcane mark can be used this way, but touch of fatigue that normally is not a magus spell is better as it actually does something useful), essentially gaining a bonus weapon attack (that now also fatigues target).

Don't know how that plays out in rtwp though.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Ent Learned

Ent
    Also the benefit of casting a spell through your weapon via spell strike is that the spell can critically hit for double damage if the weapon strike used to deliver the spell successfully crits. Thats why magi tend to like one-handed weapons with large crit windows such as rapiers, scimitars, falchions etc.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Especially scimitars because of the Dervish Dance feat, dump strength and pump dex for attack and damage. Shocking grasp + scimitar magus is almost a cliche, it's why I dislike this combination.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Ent Learned

Ent
    The last time I played there were new feats like fencing grace and slashing grace added to get dex to damage on rapier and other weapons.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    There are, but the official ruling seems to be that those don't work with magus spell combat because spell cast in off hand counts as a weapon and those feats need empty hand. Only Dervish Dance works, because who the fuck knows why. Maybe someone had a hard-on for Drizzt and his scimitars.

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Background Character Learned

Background Character
    Since this is 3.X does that mean the Wizards reigns supreme?

Burrito supreme and a chicken supreme and a cutlass supreme
    SUPREME

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. TT1 Cipher Patron

TT1
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Sorry for the silence. I'm in the midst of a move from Brazil to Poland and this seems to affect me more than I imagined.

I installed the game recently and only played for half an hour. Some things to say:

- I played AD&D for several years of my life and stopped playing during the launch of the 3rd edition. So for me, creating a character in Pathfinder is like returning to an old happy memory. It's all there, from the six classic attributes to the skills, like "blind fighting". It's a beauty in game form.

- The character creation screen is one of the best I've seen (though several icons are still missing). Large letters, multiple details, a lot of customization options.

- I started a playthrough of a Neutral Evil character, my preferred alignment, but I found some pretty silly replies to this alignment. I hope this is fixed in the final version. Anyway, I will give my feedback on the official forum.

- I did not have high expectations for this game but I was positively surprised. I will play more and follow the development closely. This game has everything to become a great classic of our generation.

• Brofist x 5
    • incline x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DragoFireheart all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart
    Finally, a good D&D style game.

• incline x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. M0RBUS Augur

M0RBUS
    I don't know exactly how these guys do their marketing (as in maybe they're going for viral only), but everyone seems to be loving this.
    Me included. I think they're doing a bang-up job with everything, including the writing, which is where I was the most apprehensive. Linzi seems like a very interesting character :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Ent Learned

Ent
    They errata'd Fencing and Slashing grace? The feats did not have that nothing in the offhand restriction on release. Well that sucks - they are really hesitant to add more sources of dex to damage in game.

^ Top  
  21. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    It's the "You do not gain this benefit while fighting with two weapons or using flurry of blows, or anytime another hand is otherwise occupied." part. They errata'd this to specifically include spell combat. And I actually agree with limiting dex to damage, if it was up to me I'd dump all feats that do that completely. But why so specifically kick any non-scimitar magus, but leave dervish dancers alone? Scimitar fetish, that's why.

^ Top  
  22. TT1 Cipher Patron

TT1
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I just used the rest/ camping system. My God, it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. It makes you want to cry.

• Informative x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Can't wait to rip this one a new asshole when it gets released.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Cross Savant

Cross
    This looks surprisingly competent, though I don't know why the HUD icons look like an exact replica of the ones in PoE...

How is character death handled?

^ Top  
  25. Palomides Savant

Palomides
    I want to kill the stupid midget bard, her attitude is irritating already.
    The user interface looks much nicer and is possibly superior to pillars of eternity.
    This game is actually exciting me, though I shall remain sceptical.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)