Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Kingmaker

September Madness continues this week with the release of Owlcat Games' Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Kingmaker appeared in our lives out of nowhere back in May 2017. Some were skeptical at first - a rather generic-looking RTwP RPG from a team of Russian unknowns with obligatory Chris Avellone involvement, clearly intended to capitalize on the success of Pillars of Eternity. The game would soon would make its way to Kickstarter, and with each new update it became clear that this was no typical Eastern European shovelware product. The "team of Russian unknowns" was in fact a band of seasoned Nival veterans and roleplaying enthusiasts, who had been working on the game for at least a year. It was already in a quite functional alpha state when the Kickstarter launched, and the gameplay footage we saw was indisputable evidence that Owlcat knew what they were doing.

So Pathfinder: Kingmaker is out today, and expectations are high. Not only is it the world's first proper Pathfinder CRPG, it's also in effect the first real D&D CRPG since Neverwinter Nights 2. Not to mention the game itself is an adaptation of a well-known Pathfinder tabletop adventure path. For those frustrated by Obsidian's iconoclastic take on the Infinity Engine formula, Kingmaker is an especially important milestone. But even with all their talent and experience, do Owlcat really have what it takes to produce a satisfactory adaptation of a six chapter adventure path on their first try - with a complex kingdom management layer on top, to boot? I guess we're about to find out. Here's the launch trailer:

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is available now on Steam and GOG for $40. There are no launch day reviews, which strengthens my suspicion that Owlcat had to crunch on this game until the last minute. Some players are reporting severe loading time issues and typos - hopefully we're not about to witness another review bombing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
eh, nobody expects a game to be good on the first day anyway

just waiting for the enhanced edition to see how good it really is

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
'Russia'.

ie. Stealing an Amerikan game using an Amerikan writer and pretending it is all Russian original idea. All while drinking vodka. The Russian ideal. Russia. The country still butthurt that they aren't the most successful white nation ever. LMAO

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Very curios how it turns out.
Please someone spoonfeed me since I reinstalled Path of Excel this week and will be on vacation the next. There is zero hope that I'll have time to check it out. I'll be back to play the patched, GOTY, Enhanced Edition.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The "team of Russian unknowns" was in fact a band of seasoned Nival veterans
You say it like being a seasoned shovelware producer is good thing.
Hey, they made the last good Heroes of Might and Magic game, if you think that is shovelware, just look to all that crap that came after it and that shit would fit the definition of shovelware with high honors.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Hey, they made the last good Heroes of Might and Magic game, if you think that is shovelware, just look to all that crap that came after it and that shit would fit the definition of shovelware with high honors.

And Silent Storm.

jerfdr

Educated

And Silent Storm.

And Evil Islands.

Jinn

Arcane
Is anyone playing this? Or touching with a ten foot pole?

I've played it for 5 hours already today, and plan on playing it for many more. If anyone has specific questions, I can attempt to answer them for you. I'll be checking in on the forums periodically.

jerfdr

Educated
I've played it for 5 hours already today, and plan on playing it for many more. If anyone has specific questions, I can attempt to answer them for you. I'll be checking in on the forums periodically.
How many skill/ability score checks have you encountered so far? And of which skills/abilities? (without going into story spoilers pls)

youhomofo

Augur
Is anyone playing this? Or touching with a ten foot pole?

Would you say the game is a raging pile of homosexual feces or is it worthy of Codexian attention? I hated the crap out of POE's combat. Is this game more gooder or more worser, sir? Also, please answer in the form of a haiku.

Jinn

Arcane
Would you say the game is a raging pile of homosexual feces or is it worthy of Codexian attention? I hated the crap out of POE's combat. Is this game more gooder or more worser, sir? Also, please answer in the form of a haiku.

Well, if you dislike PoE combat, but like something a little closer to IE titles but - in my opinion - better, then you'll like the combat in this. It's definitely worthy of Codexian attention. I am sure many will consider it much better than PoE.

Fuck your haikus :)

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
How many skill/ability score checks have you encountered so far? And of which skills/abilities? (without going into story spoilers pls)

I have encountered I believe 5-6 skill checks in dialogue, and 3-4 during exploration. I'm playing a bard, so they all ended up being diplomacy/persuasion checks. I passed them all with a high persuasion skill and an 18 charisma. The other ones have been agility checks to overcome barriers and lockpicking. There are also a lot of alignment dialogue options that seem to be tied to your starting selection. These will eventually shift you alignment.

Oh yeah, there are skill checks every time you camp too, as far as I can tell. Obviously less vital to whatever roleplaying path you are taking in the game, but there none-the-less.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom