Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sykar

Arcane
Anyone have experience with how this runs on older computers? Kinda craving a party-RPG as of late.

I've got a
I7 2800
12gb ram.
S s d
X 2 5870 and cards

And it runs ok, but then I open a menu and the video card fan runs so high I expect the pc to start elevating off the ground. Which has been my experience with this engine in one form or another.

So am thinking about either a better cooling system (tied to the video card) or possibly new video card, but have put that off for some time because of the crtptocurrency inflation.

So my pc is out of action atm and I can't be bothered to edit for spelling because I'm on one of these fucking iPads thingies.

What about an I5-3570 with 8 GB RAM, AMD Radeon 6900 graphics card and a conventional SATA HDD?

Elex

Arbiter
Anyone have experience with how this runs on older computers? Kinda craving a party-RPG as of late.

I've got a
I7 2800
12gb ram.
S s d
X 2 5870 and cards

And it runs ok, but then I open a menu and the video card fan runs so high I expect the pc to start elevating off the ground. Which has been my experience with this engine in one form or another.

So am thinking about either a better cooling system (tied to the video card) or possibly new video card, but have put that off for some time because of the crtptocurrency inflation.

So my pc is out of action atm and I can't be bothered to edit for spelling because I'm on one of these fucking iPads thingies.

What about an I5-3570 with 8 GB RAM, AMD Radeon 6900 graphics card and a conventional SATA HDD?
loading time is long no matter the hard disk.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I've got a
I7 2800
12gb ram.
S s d
X 2 5870 and cards

Ah thanks. I got a 970GTX with a manufacturing issue that prevents its drivers from being updated so newer games sometimes run like shit as one would expect.

And the crypto shit threw me for a loop. Usually cards seemed like the fastest thing to go down in value, then I go and look for a replacement 970 and they're just as much if not more expensive than what I bought the damn thing years ago.
It runs fine on my 580 with old drivers.

Israfael

Arcane
This isn't a gpu intensive game, even with 8x AA (not sure what is that, i though 6xAA was maximum) it runs at around 300 fps on vega 56. So on minimal settings and lesser resolutions it should be fine with any DX-11 capable gpu that is not Intel IGPU. What i noticed is the fact that it sometimes eats 8gb+ of VRAM, not sure why, but it does not affect the gameplay in any way

Reinhardt

Arcane
My problem with the game is loading times. It's was fast at the start, but now i'm having PoE 1 flashbacks.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Guys, let me clarify: I can find what I want but simultaneously I do believe that in 2018 we have reached a point were the UI can provide much more information that what the one in this game does.
I support the fucking game, don't be like fanbois. There are some specific issues like the UI and the bugs that need to be fixed to make the game REALLY shine.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
One of the big advantages this game has for me over PoE 1 and 2 is combat readability/visibility/pace. It's just much less of a clusterfuck. Maybe this is controversial but I think this is largely due to the game being completely 3D, characters just don't blend in with the environments as much as in PoE.

Maybe I'm wrong though and it's because of some other reason. 2D is awesome for it's flavour and style but in the end 3D can also be made to look very stylish (though not so much in this game.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Performance is fine on my pc, loading times are still slow on an ssd, it's just the oddities of the engine that make the video card go nuts. I've already replaced the fans on my cards and having the fan at beyond max for periods of time during a menu page just seems ... Unsafe.

Just to do what everyone does with a potato pc - I can run witches 3 and shadows of mordor on medium settings, so it seems strange that a menu from this game threatens to blow up my video card. But then I remember people coming out with the same comparisons for sattalite reign and w2, etc.

So fuck unity, and fuck this iPad for typing.

cw8

Cipher
Started playing this few days back and loving it. Haven't had so much fun since Baldur's Gate 2. It's been awhile. Hope I don't run into the gamebreaking bugs people are complaining about.
I'm at level 6. Anyone actually played with Animate Dead spell? Seems there are no limits to summons? Wonder if you get high level enough, you can spam a little undead army by yourself:

2zf3nfk.jpg

I only have 3 slots on Tristian. Wonder how it's like at higher levels.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Not to defend that retard journo that cannot find B key, but the game does have issues explaining its options to the players."

Wee're not talking about random stuff. We're talking about spell memorization in a D&D game. Which has beent he same in pretty much every D7D CRPG sicne the GB games. HOLY FUKK. Stop defending the idiot. The game has issues - nobody disputes that - but spell memorization is not one of them.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
One of the big advantages this game has for me over PoE 1 and 2 is combat readability/visibility/pace. It's just much less of a clusterfuck. Maybe this is controversial but I think this is largely due to the game being completely 3D, characters just don't blend in with the environments as much as in PoE.

Maybe I'm wrong though and it's because of some other reason. 2D is awesome for it's flavour and style but in the end 3D can also be made to look very stylish (though not so much in this game.

I don't think it's that, BG1 and 2 had much more readable/clear combat than PoE 1/2 have, I think it's partially the overblown magical effects in PoE and I think that the perspective is a bit wrong, compared to IE-games. I know others have mentioned it also, but the perspective in PoE is lower than in IE-games, making it so that characters obscure each other. Graphics were also clearer in IE-games, the characters kinda blends into the backgrounds in PoE. As Pathfinder is fully 3D, I wouldn't be surprised if someone makes a mod which moves the camera angle more to top-down/higher.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

It's because the game has round based combat.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Q&A from two days ago: https://af.gog.com/news/pathfinder_kingmaker_q_a?as=1649904300

The recent release of Pathfinder: Kingmaker saw the well-loved tabletop game makes its debut leap into the video game realm. Packed with player options, party building and dice rolls, Kingmaker is currently engrossing the masses. Developer Owl Cat Games were kind enough to take questions from GOG.COM users. From accessibility to cut content, there was certainly plenty to talk about!

Owlcat studios will be also hosting a Twitch stream with renowned writer Chris Avellone at 12 midday-1pm PT/8pm-10pm CET/9pm-11pm Moscow over on Owl Cat Game's Twitch channel, the stream will also be hosted on GOG.COM's Twitch channel

Q: Will stretch goals regarding additional language versions that were hinted at by the developers be announced?

[Owl Cat Games] We are focused on the polishing the game right now, so, to be honest, we don’t have enough resources to work on any additional localization. But we are thinking about discussing this opportunity once we have addressed all major players questions.

Q: Any chance for expansions with new adventures and companions to be added in the future?

[Owl Cat Games] I don’t want to spoil our future announcements but yes! Let me just say that with the game’s focus on companions, the new characters we have planned are exciting and unpredictable

Q: Does the game feature romanceable characters? If it does, are the romances more akin to those in Dragon Age or in Baldur's Gate 2 (would strongly prefer if it was the latter)?

[Owl Cat Games] We have romances in the game and we hope some of them will be a surprise to players. We don’t copy any pattern directly but instead tried to find the best way to fit them into the structure of Pathfinder Kingmaker. We’d encourage you to try them yourself and let us know what you think.

Q: Has accessibility to players with disabilities been considered in the development in this game?

[Owl Cat Games] Some of our beta testers have disabilities and as such we have tried to take their feedback into consideration as much as possible.

In particular:

* Is the game color-blind friendly?

[Owl Cat Games] We tried to address several problems around contrast during our beta testing. For example, the color of names against backgrounds not being clearly visible for those that are color-blind.

* Can the game be comfortably played with only one hand? (Related: Are the controls re-mappable?)

[Owl Cat Games] We have tried to make that possible. All major functions are accessible from the mouse and controls are re-mappable for the majority of actions.

* Can the game be played and enjoyed with no audio? (In particular, is all the important dialog viewable as text (as opposed to dialog that only exists as voice acting)?

[OSh] Yes, audio is not a mandatory element of the game and every chunk of information is visible.

Q: It looks like a Real Time with Pause (RTWP) game. What were some of the lessons you took from other RTWP games when developing this one? Was there anything you were trying to replicate or avoid?

[Owl Cat Games] We deeply analyzed both classic games and modern ones in the genre. To be honest, RTWP can get a bit messy especially with the full party and dozens of enemies on the battlefield. So our main focus was to highlight the major information during the battle such as critical hits, danger conditions, characters with low HP, etc.

[Owl Cat Games] Another challenge was that playstyles can vary greatly from player to player. Some people like to see as much information as possible. Others prefer to role-play even on the battlefield. So we try to give as many options as possible to let the player customize the battle information they want to see.

Q: Which subclass would you pick (therefore which class) if you are first playing this game (Not tabletop, though). Imagine you can play the game with feeling of novelty.

[Owl Cat Games] A tricky question. It really depends on the playstyle and how familiar people are with Pathfinder in general. I personally prefer a straightforward approach, so for me a fighter, either melee or ranger builds I find a good fit (and rather simple). Another personal favorite of mine is the Alchemist. They can be really deadly in the battlefield and they are an interestingly unique Pathfinder class.

Q: How far can I go within the game with a smart mouth and no interest in fighting?

[Owl Cat Games] Good question. A lot of major events, I would have said majority, but to be honest I have never calculated them precisely, may be resolved without fighting in the game. But some story events require fighting to certain extent. Even in the Prologue chapter you need to deal with the assassins which are not the right people to parley with.

Q: How hiring mercenaries will work? Can I customize their portraits or class?

[Owl Cat Games] That’s exactly what you need mercenaries for, to fully customize your party mechanically. So “yes” to both question. But be aware, mercenaries do not have a background story, so people who forget about a named companion may skip some game content!

Q: Will our strongholds be self-sufficient (perhaps with some investment), or will they be money sinks that constantly drain player resources (as in some Obsidian games)?

[Owl Cat Games] It will depend on the player. There is option to convert gold to Kingdom resources. But it’s not mandatory, people may keep their Kingdom self-sufficient in terms of the resources.

Q: Was there anything that anyone in the dev team was familiar with and enjoyed in the pen and paper game that you weren't able to include in the digital realm?

[OSh] To be honest I can’t remember anything significant. Though my memory may be a bit rusty after more than two years of development. Maybe boggards? There were a couple of interesting side events in the pen and paper game adventure. We even made these creatures. But then we realized that we just did not have room for them. They were quite low level creatures and by the time we created them the progression was fully packed with other events. So poor boggards are still waiting for their time in the sun.

Q: How did you approach balancing combat and storytelling / roleplaying? Many RPGs lean heavily into the realm of action games these days, while roleplaying aspects are less prominent.

[Owl Cat Games] Storytelling was always a main focus for us. All other game aspects are devoted to supporting the plot,but balancing is always a challenge. We didn’t want to adjust the difficulty based on the players current level of progression and considering the open-world nature of the game, sometimes battles may be really challenging. Yet we are constantly examining all the feedback we get from players to fine-tune and balance the game.

Q: Will the game have multiple solutions to problems (I mean like actual multiple solutions) or will the quests be more linear?

[Owl Cat Games] The direct answer is yes, almost every event has several ways to solve it. The main storyline also has a lot of different options for progression and the game has several major different endings, not counting the dozens of different minor outcomes.

Q: Is there an editor, or chance of one, so people can make their own adventures a la NWN?

[Owl Cat Games] No editor mode support right now, sorry. This is quite a huge feature. We definitely considered this during the development but we decided that we’d better focus on the game itself rather than postpone the release for several months.

Q: Would I have to know the pen and paper version of Pathfinder to really enjoy this game?

[Owl Cat Games] No, you don’t have to. All the story elements are reproduced with the addition of all new stories elements and narratives!

Last edited by a moderator:

Parabalus

Arcane

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
This is dwarwen golem in dwarven ruins constructed and activated by dwarves.
Making excuses for bad writing and lapse in logic is why we get shit like SoD and that HBS game.
Excuses for what? Golem is deactivated after combat, not because of Harrim ability. What he destroys is just pile of metal already.
*sigh* Adamantine golems don't deactivate. They continue to regenerate even when down. The only way to turn them off permanently is to use a Wish/Miracle spell when they are down or cut its head off with an adamantine vorpal weapon, again when it is down. There is no "key component".

They are Epic level monsters, with DR 15/Epic. That's right, even adamantine weapons can't penetrate their DR. You need a +6 or higher weapon, end of story. They are also completely immune to all spells with one exception, so you can forget that, too.
Disassembling an Adamantine Golem as part of a plot process or destroying a deactivated adamantine golem by divine fiat is pretty reasonable, I think. It is very obvious that extralegal circumstances apply.
They should have hotfixed this weeks ago:

:abyssgazer:

Hahaha well obviously you don't need 120 hours to understand that but admittedly the game does not communicate how you can do stuff very well...
Alright, yeah, sure, I agree. I actually remember pointing things like this out fairly early on after release. The game should absolutely cover this, but it doesn't. But come on.
You have to be functionally retarded not to figure this one out on your own, provided you've got even the tiniest bit of RPG experience of any type; I don't care if it's ARPG, MMORPG, JRPG, or CRPG; all of them have some form of ability or spell screen that you most often interact with in one way or another, and anyone that's fucking paid to interact with and review games should approach it in a methodical fashion, such as checking all the menues, options, and shortcuts, including a basic "What do all these buttons do?".

The game should absolutely tell you this, if only because we should assume that to someone, this is literally the first computer game they play. But I refuse to blame the game in regards to this particular instance, because even though the game should tell you this, the issue here is plainly that the journo is a fucking retard.
loading time is long no matter the hard disk.
My loading times are pretty short, I think, aside from launch. Make sure that you clear out your old saves once in a while, it really helps. But other than that, I have no real advice, it just seems to be slower for some and faster for others.
Yeah, as much as I like the game and as much as it's got potential, it's quite literally unplayable to a lot of people, and even those that can get through most of it does so fighting the game tooth and nail, assaulted by mountains of literal and figurative bugs.

Shadenuat

Arcane
They could have just added a basic BG2-like tutorial. Walk around, memorize spells, rest, learn how to pre-buff, fight some baddies. Wouldn't take much to implement. The actual prologue throws a lot of shit at you without really explaining anything.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
They could have just added a basic BG2-like tutorial. Walk around, memorize spells, rest, learn how to pre-buff, fight some baddies. Wouldn't take much to implement. The actual prologue throws a lot of shit at you without really explaining anything.
BG1/2:s tutorial was great, because it's so obviously divorced from the main game and narrative. This also means that you're not forced through a tutorial level every time you start the game. That said, going through the PF:K tutorial is a lot less painful than going through Candlekeep or Chateau Irenicus for the umpteenth time.

hell bovine

Arcane

Parabalus

Arcane

For all the shit PoE1&2 rightfully get they at least got the tutorial part right.

Shadenuat

Arcane
That said, going through the PF:K tutorial is a lot less painful than going through Candlekeep or Chateau Irenicus for the umpteenth time
Not really, going through Candlekeep is talk Gorion > begin game. Yeah you miss some xp (simple mod fixes this) but it's not Irenicus Dungeon Be Gone.

The thing is, most people will figure out how to move their characters and how to select > left click.

That is not what tutorials arguably should teach you in combat games. They should teach you to play effectively and set correct expectations game have for you. For D&D it should be: hey, there are some stronk dudes there. Here, have these rations. Now memorize this Sleep spell. Now rest - by the way, you can hunt for rations too. Now try casting this +1 attack spell on your dude. Now cast sleep/daze on that goblin. Now attak. Well done.

You should set player into correct mind set and make him go through motions which make effective play.

If you never introduce players to effective play they will continue killing themselves over and over like idiots.

(Granted they can ignore everything and still do but at least at that point, you can say that you tried.)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom