Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I wish mages felt like in bg2 though, here they are just support chars, buffing and debuffing :(
Why, can't you - once you hit level 5 - start fireballing everything in sight if you are inclined to do so? You might not be able to obliterate everything as easily as in BG2 but let's be honest, BG2 except for a few encounters, was an easy game. And remember, you started the game in BG2 already at level ~7 iirc. In BG1 mages supposedly died when a kobold farted in their direction, compare P:K at low levels with that.

When D&D transitioned from 2nd to 3rd editions, HPs basically doubled. Dealing direct damage as a wizard post 2nd edition is a very sub-optimal strategy. Saving throws were also changed, and feats granting significant advantages to avoid spell effects (evasion, slippery mind, etc.) took a lot of wind of the wizard's sails. IMO, the 2nd edition mixture of spells was also a bit kinder to mages. We no longer get Horror as a Level 2 spell, for example. Many defensive spells also got majorly nerfed between 2nd and 3rd.

Quite true, and then HP increased again with the jump to Pathfinder. Wizards/Sorcs now use D6s instead of D4s for hitpoints, Rogues/Bards D8s instead of D6s, Rangers D10s instead of D8s. Then you also get the option of +1 hitpoint per level in your favored class (which is not in the game afaik). Then there's the Toughness feat that now gives +1HP/lvl instead of a flat +3HP. Finally you have to account for +2 to any stat for Humans (among others) which can lead to more points available to put into constitution.

Some Monsters got the same (or even better) treatment, with Monstrous Humanoids and Outsiders seeing an increase from D8 to D10. Undead dropped down to D8 but get their charisma added to hit points (basically free unholy toughness for everyone) which leads to more HP in nearly all cases. Furthermore a couple of monsters simply got additional hit die or constitution points added on top of everything else without changing their CR, plus the change to the Toughness feat is particularly noteworthy since it's a popular choice for many creatures. All in all the biggest "offenders" are high level Outsiders that often benefit from all of the above, but the single biggest asshole is probably the CR10 Rakshasa that went from 52 to 112 hit points because fuck you, that's just what they needed on top of 25 spell resistance and their moronic 15/good and piercing damage reduction.
All this is true. But to be fair you should take into account also the other side of the equation. There are features that didn't exist in 2nd edition to increase damage output of spells.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Just finished Ancient Curse 2 without taking damage.

:yeah:

Ekun is a beast.
793413838AE679871B1A1250EE6DE75DABD188DC

Ibbz

Augur
It's that bad? :negative:

Yes, it is full of bugs. And also the curse is huge debuff for your team.

No, i mean design wise. Bugs will be fixed after some time.
I didn't mind it - it annoyed me alot more before they fixed (some) of the bugs and I was going into it with a bad frame of mind, but I came back a couple of days later and enjoyed it more the second time.

Also, discovered this last night but my save games were corrupted from this point in time after the House at the Edge of Time (Chapter 7) -
When you go back to Varnhold to save Maegar, once I'd saved him, every save after that point in time was corrupted.

(I've reported it to Owlcat as well)

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
This game and its bugs.. only two games made steam force close on my memory, and both had one thing in common - MCA (Prey and this one) :lol:

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Man, I just put myself through character creation (Pathfinder noob), and fuck, this could be the greatest RPG ever.

One thing is clear though from the little I've played: if you make a combat system that detailed (and turn-based), don't go RtwP. It just screws the whole thing up.

I can see how later on positioning will be a pain in the ass, this isn't fucking Pillars of Erraticity. The pacing and the little timers are nice, but fuck, who were they trying to target by making a game of such depth with these rules then going RtwP?

Funny thing is, in the beginning I was pro RtwP, or at least didn't mind in this case. I just didn't expect a combat system with the depth of bracing against charges or tripping combat maneuvers.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
One thing is clear though from the little I've played: if you make a combat system that detailed (and turn-based), don't go RtwP. It just screws the whole thing up.

Yep, if they had done TOEE style turn based this game would have been perfect, such a shame they didnt. DOS has shown that turn based is fine for the general gaming public so I wonder if they thought about?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Question (some spoilers)-

I cleared the Undead Cyclops area where you lose the LGYBQ guy. I got back to town, got the split quest. Went to help the annoying lady immediately, and that finished that quest.

I did not clear any of the shit in that area. I went straight to the annoying lady did her part, then the other part - quest done. I prefer to clear everything possible before doing the advancement quests. The quest makes it sound like there is a huge rush. Is there? If not, how much time do I have to clear everything? I definitely plan on doing the annoying lady part first over going after the gay guy.

Is there any hard information on this? Is there good reason to restart before entering the area that starts the quest, like content that gets locked if you don't do it first? Any and all information is welcome.

Seriously - how long do you have from killing the cyclops guy and needing to start the quest with the barbarian lady in the NW area? I can't ask on steam because I am banned. Even some of you nuCodexers should know this.
You should consider you have no time at all left,i was almost out of time when i did, rush immediately to the northwest then once you done the battlefield part , immediately start the send scout events.Then do the river crossing book event(bit south of the river) to maximize the chance to find armag's tomb. Do tristian quest , then immediately do armag's tomb once scout event solved,if you see it... Keep lot of saves cause even if you finish it all your game may very well be bugged and no more events will appear.

Just to clarify - I reloaded before entering the flintlock area and cleared the whole zone before doing it. There was no change. I also held off doing the gay guy betrayer quest for a long while with no penalty. I did research armag's tomb pretty soon after getting it and finished with no issue.

This is a good game but this is the first game where the bugs have hampered my playthrough to this extent. Complex rpgs done right will always have bugs and I don't see it as a reason for having hissy fits and not supporting a good game, but in this case since I have like 10 quests I can't finish (mostly artisan quests) and a bunch of advisors I cannot train further with their card's stuck in my log to see them in the courtyard, and no way to report bugs because I'm still banned on the steam forums for being banned for literally no reason, this is the first time bugs have beaten me. I'm going to hold off on playing the game and will restart at some point when the majority of the bugs are fixed. I have a million I can't even find reported on the steam forum, like the death effect prevention aura from the one priest school not working at all, etc. I also can't find the right level of difficulty - currently I rollstomp everything on difficult and the one above difficult, but get destroyed on the highest one. I hope this game has a vibrant mod community too, and gets some DLCs and lots of sequels.

I know it came from a pnp campaign, but I fucking hate the kingdom shit. Its the weakest and most sophomoric/childish/pokeman part of the game that distracts from everything else. I hope another game with the same engine/assets is made but is done like a real crpg and not this kingdom management bullshit. Hopefully one with full party gen and a lvl 10 cap and way toned down magical items where you are just a regular person and not a king/savior of everyone and have to do something reasonable like save the king's daughter from an evil wizard.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"who were they trying to target by making a game of such depth with these rules then going RtwP?"

Are you an idiot? It is pretty clear who they were targeting. IE fans. You dumb fukk shit.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have been told that Pathfinder has so many bugs, that it has started to attract bugs from other games - creating some kind of bug singularity. So be careful guys.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Yes, you can romance multiple people, including the tupperware gnomes.

What options are there besides the party members?
At least 4 garden gnomes and a gimp called Fidel.
Does Pathfinder not have the Blade variant of Bards or is it just missing from this game in particular?
It really depends on what you mean by "the Blade variant". Because if we're talking different types of bards, well, take your pick:
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/#Archetypes_Alternate_Class_Features
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/skald/#Archetypes_Alternate_Class_Features
Any primer on the time limits in the game? Can I afford a single rest in Ch1 except the forced ones?
It is clearly stated in no uncertain terms how long you have, and in Chapter 1, the time is lolhueg. You can explore the entire area available to you and then some. You're sent into the area to conduct an investigation, not spearhead a smash-and-grab, for fucks sake.

But if you do it fast enough, you get an extra reward. :bounce:
Any primer on the time limits in the game? Can I afford a single rest in Ch1 except the forced ones?
It is clearly stated in no uncertain terms how long you have, and in Chapter 1, the time is lolhueg. You can explore the entire area available to you and then some. You're sent into the area to conduct an investigation
I don't get how people can fail quests due time, the time limits I've seen so far (Just got to the Varnhold) has been very generous so far. I wonder if that changes in the later chapters.
There's a few "hidden" ones but they're based on common-sense shit and if you're not retarded, they shouldn't matter.

Edit:

I wrote several times on this thread but I think it's worth repeating: ALWAYS USE CAMPING SUPPLIES!

Then you should use Galt Ragout or Fish-on-a-Stick in order to postpone Fatigue for 4 hours.

One last advice: Don't EVER full heal when camping! Go to the Inn and sleep for one night. The difference is like 6 days for full heal and 8 hours.

If you do thing semi-correct then you can clear the chapter1 map by day 45 and then you can just fuck around or kill the Stag Lord.
You took 45 fucking days to clear Chapter 1?

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Lawntoilet, Are Ancient Curse part 3 and the Dugath's quest linked or is there some other reason why I should dick around for 33 days?

Did you mean
search for three defaced sisters as the Dugath's quest
or is there something after that?

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Lawntoilet, Are Ancient Curse part 3 and the Dugath's quest linked or is there some other reason why I should dick around for 33 days?

Did you mean
search for three defaced sisters as the Dugath's quest
or is there something after that?
No, it's just that once you get going on Dugath's quest, you'll be away from the capital for a while.
It's the part after you find the Sisters that takes time.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Just to clarify - I reloaded before entering the flintlock area and cleared the whole zone before doing it. There was no change. I also held off doing the gay guy betrayer quest for a long while with no penalty. I did research armag's tomb pretty soon after getting it and finished with no issue.

This is a good game but this is the first game where the bugs have hampered my playthrough to this extent. Complex rpgs done right will always have bugs and I don't see it as a reason for having hissy fits and not supporting a good game, but in this case since I have like 10 quests I can't finish (mostly artisan quests) and a bunch of advisors I cannot train further with their card's stuck in my log to see them in the courtyard, and no way to report bugs because I'm still banned on the steam forums for being banned for literally no reason, this is the first time bugs have beaten me. I'm going to hold off on playing the game and will restart at some point when the majority of the bugs are fixed. I have a million I can't even find reported on the steam forum, like the death effect prevention aura from the one priest school not working at all, etc. I also can't find the right level of difficulty - currently I rollstomp everything on difficult and the one above difficult, but get destroyed on the highest one. I hope this game has a vibrant mod community too, and gets some DLCs and lots of sequels.

I know it came from a pnp campaign, but I fucking hate the kingdom shit. Its the weakest and most sophomoric/childish/pokeman part of the game that distracts from everything else. I hope another game with the same engine/assets is made but is done like a real crpg and not this kingdom management bullshit. Hopefully one with full party gen and a lvl 10 cap and way toned down magical items where you are just a regular person and not a king/savior of everyone and have to do something reasonable like save the king's daughter from an evil wizard.
Here you go: https://owlcatgames.com/content/reporting-bug
You can thank me later when they fixed the bugs you reported to them.

Parabalus

Arcane

A single rest? wtf? Time limits are really generous, especiallly Ch1. I basically did everything, ultra slow, going back and forth to places to check for new things, wandering around to find new location through perception and in the end I still had like a month left.

Its when the kingdom management starts that you should get anxious.

I think what Parabalus meant was, if you beeline rush to the stag lord, do you get more leeway for those later timers? That is, are they date-based or does it start counting from the founding?

Yes, that's what I want to know. I read somewhere in this thread that it is absolute date based, so I'm not sure how to approach Ch1.

Try to rest 0 times and finish it exhausted? Rush Stag Lord or do all optional content?

How is stealth in this game? Little more than scouting ahead for the party + Stealth attacks or is there more to it?

Extremely annoying since there is no hotkey for it, better avoid if you want to retain your sanity.

Parabalus

Arcane
If I skip some optional quests in Ch1, can I come to them later? Don't want to waste time by backtracking to turn them in.

Reinhardt

Arcane
It's really easy when you play game second time. Like bringing scroll of delay poison communal to old sycamore.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If I skip some optional quests in Ch1, can I come to them later? Don't want to waste time by backtracking to turn them in.

Jesus, yes you can do that. But as long as you buy adequate rations and a bag of holding, time won’t be a problem. IIRC, the troll invasion in chapter two is pegged to the calendar, but the ancient curse quest is pegged to the beginning of the chapter.

You have 90 days to beat the stag lord. That’s a lot of time. Really, you don’t need to rush unless you’re trying to get the +2 dueling sword that Lady Jamandi gives you for finishing the quest in 30 days.

Parabalus

Arcane

You have 90 days to beat the stag lord. That’s a lot of time. Really, you don’t need to rush unless you’re trying to get the +2 dueling sword that Lady Jamandi gives you for finishing the quest in 30 days.

Now that I know about that I will def have to do it. :mixedemotions:

What's the recommended route through Ch1?

Reinhardt

Arcane
Make sure to visit Nettle's Crossing at the start. It will save you some time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom