Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually in this game, good options are evil, and evil ones are good.
You have to be good to romance Nyrissa... after she killed all your companions, destroyed hundred of thousands of lifes and tries to kill you.
Sounds evil, and retarded as well.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
The right punishment for letting that traitor cunt with just one domain alive (let's forget he's directly responsable of thousands of deaths).
Jaethal is also a serial killer, don't forget, but at least her alignment is Evil.
I really wish companion quests changed alignments, because I have a problem with Tristian being NG when he should be Neutral, since he was too much of a coward to take a moral stance against Nyrissa.
He should also have something like 5 Int 7 Wis.
Ok, sorry guys but I cannot read all 435 pages of this thread.
Just some brief questions: how good is the game? Does it deserve to be bought at full price? If not, how much money would you spend on it? Does it still have a lot of bugs or it's been fixed properly?
It's very good, best BG-like game since BG2. It is still buggy but quite stable for the first 70+% of the game right now, their commitment to bugfixing is pretty impressive even if they sometimes introduced a new bug in a hotfix. Endgame is still messy I'm discovering but that is partly due to pretty trash encounter design, and one major spoiler that might be a bug, or might be a plot decision that I really disagree with, not sure.
I think it is worth full price but if it goes on sale for around $30 you can't go wrong.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I use Jaethal to cast stonesking on Harrim, and Linzi gets booted out of the party. She's still alive, and I can still select her, but just gets removed from the party.

I think this is a bug?.

On a side note; they included spell components. Unvelievable. :incline:

razvedchiki

Erudite
MAde a 2handed build to see how much ac i can stuck on him,lvl 5 and with mithril plate,16 dex,barkskin+shield and the usual rings/amulets i have 33 which is pretty good.
Gonna try a paladin too see how he will go.
In terms of 2handed weaponry which are the best ones in term of progresion?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Actually, I have a question the other way around:
Which weapons are underrepresented in the game? Wouldn't want to specialize in anything and then find out I'll probably never get a good weapon for that.
I'm looking at you, darts, maces & halberds in Baldur's Gate.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
MAde a 2handed build to see how much ac i can stuck on him,lvl 5 and with mithril plate,16 dex,barkskin+shield and the usual rings/amulets i have 33 which is pretty good.
Gonna try a paladin too see how he will go.

Which weapons are underrepresented in the game? Wouldn't want to specialize in anything and then find out I'll probably never get a good weapon for that.
There are good endgame weapons for pretty much all categories. Overall longswords and battleaxes are pretty underrepresented throughout the game but there is an amazing endgame longsword.
As far as 2 handed weapons, Glaive if you want Reach, Greataxe if you don't, will give you the most choice and fantastic endgame options.

Elex

Arbiter
weapon progression:
first 3/4 of the game, a lot of weapons barely appear, some weapon get a +2 and extra stuff like 2d6 elemental damage.

suddenly after half game +4 +5 weapons start to pop everywhere

Thonius

Arcane
She's romanceble. And since everyone(except val) okay with you romancing other people you'll get harem.
but no val?

not worth it.

edit: wait...who all is in this harem then?

the nymph girl, the slut elf...a harem of two? meh.

...you're not including the orc, are you?
Orc boi....
Well I'm just telling you about options. I'm not gonna touch that cumdumster half-elf or her boitoy. And I don't roll fem chars, so ratboi is out too. Val is my grill.

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
How to increase will saves for fighter?dip 1 into paladin?
To everything that has been already said like:
The two iron will feats,
Two levels of paladin combined with high charisma - requires lawful good character,
Wisdom and items adding to it

I'll add one, somewhat ignored these days:
Make your fighter a dwarf, hardy gives +2 to saves against most stuff and can be upgraded to +4 via a feat IIRC. Also +2 Wisdom racial bonus. No racial bonus to STR is a pain but otherwise, not a bad option.
you can also roll an angelkin aasimar with str and cha bonuses, increasing your saves and shooting your intimidation / cornugon smashing through the roof all at once. dwarfs good, but the optimal str based two hander fighter with pally/monk dips (or even better - pally with fighter/monk dips instead, for spell buffs and bonded weapon goodness) is better of with reasonable dex, robe and gauntlets.
Which will effectively leave Valerie as the only one who can reap real benefits from heavy armor & shield combo though.
Remind me again. What's the downside of asimars? None? Well then, as I suspected they are popamole race for sure.

I think it's Javelines, Darts, regular slings (not slingstaffs), Daggers, Short swords, Quarterstaffs, Scythes, Long spears( not short), Dwarfen/Elven/Orcish weapons.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
The two iron will feats,
Two levels of paladin combined with high charisma - requires lawful good character,

Make your fighter a dwarf, hardy gives +2 to saves against most stuff and can be upgraded to +4 via a feat IIRC. Also +2 Wisdom racial bonus. No racial bonus to STR is a pain but otherwise, not a bad option.
you can also roll an angelkin aasimar with str and cha bonuses, increasing your saves and shooting your intimidation / cornugon smashing through the roof all at once. dwarfs good, but the optimal str based two hander fighter with pally/monk dips (or even better - pally with fighter/monk dips instead, for spell buffs and bonded weapon goodness) is better of with reasonable dex, robe and gauntlets.
Which will effectively leave Valerie as the only one who can reap real benefits from heavy armor & shield combo though.
Remind me again. What's the downside of asimars? None? Well then, as I suspected they are popamole race for sure.

I think it's Javelines, Darts, regular slings (not slingstaffs), Daggers, Short swords, Quarterstaffs, Scythes, Long spears( not short), Dwarfen/Elven/Orcish weapons.
There are a bunch of good +2/+3/+4 daggers after act 1, and some good quarterstaffs. Ruin quarterstaff is awesome, you can get it from a kingdom event and it's maybe the first +5 weapon you can access.
Either 1.0.16 or 1.1 added some slings and darts, too.

drgames

Scholar
I kinda finished with my second playthrough of Pathfinder kingmaker. Since I completely understand what is wrong with the kingdom management now, I will explain it maybe later, but I wanna give some hint regarding some companions.

Valerie is a tank, but because in pathfinder tanks cannot aggro enemies, there is almost no sense of going with pure fighter. One level in class thug in order to have thug's frightening, and focus in persuasion for dazzling display/cornugon smashing (with one level in steward defense ).

Harrim has really bad stats which make him a bad fighter, and a bad healer too. I immediatly multiclassed him into druid, so at least I could get some usefull spells and the smildon as companion pet.

Amiri, vanilla berserk is a bad choice, so one level in vivi and the rest to rogue. Sneak attacks are OP since you they can be easily triggered.

Octavia is obviously an arcane trickster.

The best weapon ideally is the fauchard. It has reach and a good crit range, but there are like 2 unique fauchard in the game, and you will find many different good weapons that are far better.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
18b7d6ece45001b58c852b8c9a108685.png

Nok-Nok

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I kinda finished with my second playthrough of Pathfinder kingmaker. Since I completely understand what is wrong with the kingdom management now, I will explain it maybe later, but I wanna give some hint regarding some companions.

Valerie is a tank, but because in pathfinder tanks cannot aggro enemies, there is almost no sense of going with pure fighter. One level in class thug in order to have thug's frightening, and focus in persuasion for dazzling display/cornugon smashing (with one level in steward defense ).

Harrim has really bad stats which make him a bad fighter, and a bad healer too. I immediatly multiclassed him into druid, so at least I could get some usefull spells and the smildon as companion pet.

Amiri, vanilla berserk is a bad choice, so one level in vivi and the rest to rogue. Sneak attacks are OP since you they can be easily triggered.

The best weapon ideally is the fauchard. It has reach and a good crit range, but there are like 2 unique fauchard in the game, and you will find many different good weapons that are far better.
The problem with mass-Frightening with a Thug Valerie is that mobs run away and draw aggro from the rest of the map.
I also think Stalwart Defender is worth taking more than 1 level, you get a skill that greatly reduces the Fatigue penalty of your defensive stance, and your DR/Improved DR skills from the class are good too
especially in late game when everything is targeting Touch AC.
If you're not above respeccing, Invulnerable Rager seems good for Amiri, but otherwise 2-hand fighter is good for her.
The masterpiece Fauchard seems quite good but I didn't have anyone specced to use it.
I gave Harrim the
Cloak of Sold Souls
and Necromancy Spell Focus feats, he's been pretty decent. I kept him mostly off the front lines as a summoner and buffer until I got some of the higher-level Cleric self buffs though.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

I don't see the point tbqh. Ruins their storyline (which I admit isn't great to begin with).

If you want better companions just make mercenaries.

On a sidenote I am getting raped on chap VII

panda

Savant
There are a bunch of good +2/+3/+4 daggers after act 1, and some good quarterstaffs. Ruin quarterstaff is awesome, you can get it from a kingdom event and it's maybe the first +5 weapon you can access.
Singing Edge is also effectively a +6 longspear. Not stellar, but not shit either. Scythes has fair representation too.
Can't remember decent short sword, that is true.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The two iron will feats,

Sure, if you want to have the absolute most optimized munchkininized character then that's a good way to do it. However if it is your main character it locks you into lawful good which one might not want to do (because for example one hates paladins as class in general or wants to play as evil or whatever other reason). In that case, again if one is looking for a high will saves - at which fighters normally suck , then a dwarf fighter is a reasonable option. it gives you potentially +4/+5 will over that of a human (or most other races).
Besides, from purely powergaming perspective fighters are probably (one of) the weakest classes in P:K anyway so if you really want to optimize - don't take one.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Singing Edge is also effectively a +6 longspear. Not stellar, but not shit either. Scythes has fair representation too.
Can't remember decent short sword, that is true.
Yes but it comes really late in the game, you don't find any other special longspears really.
Plus you might not always have access to Bardsong in late game.
Nazrielle can make you a decent Shortsword but I haven't seen a +5 that I can remember.

Thonius

Arcane
Well I found some cool scimitar. Bear god something something. And Since I got cape that gives constant bite attack + dragon blodline +amulet of mighty fists +gloves that add acid damage to every natural atack + focus on bite attack, my gish sorc just bites everything to death. Scimitar+ Bite Slashing/Piercing/Bludgeoning + acid+cold+acid+electro +trip from cloak (and DD STR). Apply Transformation spell - left click - win. The only problem is average atack roll for bite, since it counted as second weapon.

drgames

Scholar
Now, in my first playthorugh I fucked up my kingdom , so in the second playthrough I tried to play more serious the kingdom management and to achieve the events by savescumming too. Besides bugs and the diffuclty, the problem with this game is that it is always a fucking race against time. You need to manage almsot perfectly your time and each single action must be taken with fully awareness of its consequences, because even the action of resting can lead to losing your kingdom. For example: if you are in a game zone, you do not lose time, but if you rest, you do lose time, which could have been used to explore or to manage your kingdom, and so you do not progress, whilst the difficulty of the game does. Because later on you are forced to fight against
stag's lord, king of the trolls, vordakai, irovetti and naryssa
so you need to have better gear and exp, or you will have an hard time in the fights, but you need also that have a stable kingdom, high stats and all the unlocked advisors in order to manage the events that your kingdom will face. To improve your kingodm and unlcok the advisors, you will lose time, which could have been used to explore, to get our team stronger. There is a struggling contrast beetween exploration and management, and without prior knowledge the casual player will likely lose the game, unless he sets the management part in auto. Yeah, now I know that the most important stat to improve is the economy and to unlock all the advisors asap, but it is because I fucked it up once already. And even when you unlock all the advisors, some DC's events are really too high to farm some specific stats (espionage for example).
The game is really too diffuclt with almost no margin of error. You will lose points in the stats even if you savescamming, because the advisor informs you that a disaster happened and therefore you lose stats with no chance to react or because a problem raised up but you can't collocate an advisors because they are already busy with projects or because an event happend but you were travelling outside your kingdom's regions and so you could not allocate an advisor for that event.
The rewards for playing it good are decent. You get a morale bonus for the attack and damage rolls, immune to poison, spell resistance, immunity to mind controll etc. , but you startint to get these bonus really late in the game (like maybe chapter 4/5) or maybe even later if you were bad and fucked up a few things.
Or you play it good or you do not play it at all, and set the management in auto. And by good I mean you know exactly what are you doing, even when you are allocating the advisors for the events or exploring areas.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
There is zero anxiety. None of the kingdom stats matter. Only the ranks achieved with them and you will always achieve around the same amount of ranks due to time spend leveling them up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom