Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Thonius

Arcane
I'm glad Owlcat are willing to listen to people about the last two chapters. Let's hope the usual Steam casuals aren't going to whine and bitch too much.

I mean... I think the last two chapters, particularly house at the end of time, are a point of convergence of opinion for casuals and hardcore alike. I don't know anyone who outright loved it.
I liked last chapter where you revisit old enemies and fight at capital alongside your allies you made trough game. House? Nope.
P:K cries out for metagaming because I did (doing) so many things wrong on my initial playthrough. I ignored or was late on solving too many Problems in my Kingdom Management, not fully understanding its mechanics, and, wow, did those problems come back later and take a huge chunk out of my ass! By the end of just about every chapter my kingdom is literally a day or two away from self destruction (Crumbling) but I always manage to survive. I finally finished Chapter 5 (The Twice-Born Warlord?) and I get the impression it's all downhill from here but I'm still playing.
Sounds like fun and challenge!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Update me quickly - what's the patching and DLC perspective for PKM currently? Any significant DLC or patch that I should yet wait for before I buy it?

pomenitul

Arbiter
The third and final DLC should be out soon, at least in theory. Patch-wise, I assume most of the gamebreaking bugs have been smoothed out already, which may or may not be enough depending on your expectations.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I started on 1.2.7g and the one bug I noticed turned out to not be a bug at all. They're on 1.3.1 now. I'm not saying the game doesn't have any bugs... just that I haven't noticed any. It crashed twice in about 60 hours of play time in 1.2.7. Buy it now. It's far from perfect, but it's compelling. I don't know what RPG I can play after I finish this that is even remotely comparable. Maybe go back to NWN/NWN2 user-made modules? It has about 3-4 DLCs released for it. There's suppose to be an Infinite Dungeons-type DLC coming up. I don't know if that will amount to much since I'm not a huge fan of procedurally generated rouge-likes. But Owlcat did such a good job with the base game, so... who knows?

ETA: Oh, I just remembered - I did encounter a HUGE bug that broke an important companion. Hint: don't wait too long after the Dwarven/Troll Fortress quest line in Chapter 2 to go back and get Jubilost (the best, most colorful and powerful companion) at The Ford Across Skunk River. He might not be there, and will be gone forever.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
A companion that comes with a new class and race, a semi-unrelated story, and an infinite dungeon style DLC don't sound very ...hmm, how should I say this. Significant? It's a bit underwhelming? Could've been more meaty?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Yeah, fuck all those basically worthless DLCs. The game as it is already so fucking huge that it feels like there are already 2-3 full length expansions in there, let alone DLCs. Who needs DLCs? If Owlcat really wanted to make us all VERY happy, they'd find a way to create a construction/toolset that is user-friendly (or even not-so-user-friendly since NWN2 had a toolset so difficult that only the best, most experienced and intelligent module authors were able to do anything with it - it's social darwinism in RPG modding). Then just sit back and watch the scene EXPLODE with AD&D fun for years to come.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
These DCLs feel more like contractual obligations than anything else. Maybe Varnhold's lot is good on its own, but still, they are all kind of random, kind of "eh", kind of thrown together.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I got the game with the Varnhold's Lot DLC. If Vordakai's Tomb is part of that DLC and wasn't integrated from the main game, then I have to say it was pretty great if you like puzzles in combat and paying close attention to the clues if you have any hope to defeat your adversaries. I've seen several posts from players saying that they felt the Soul Eaters once they learn your name are the most challenging encounters in the game.

Efe

Erudite
anyone tried what happens if you give certain companions names to the crow but dont bring them with you to vordakai?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
anyone tried what happens if you give certain companions names to the crow but dont bring them with you to vordakai?
I don't think that's possible?

The crow started to ask for your companion name in the tomb. Before, the opportunities given are to give your name.

The entrance to the tomb are closed automatically the first time you open the first door in the dungeon as well (the reason why people are giving advice to bring enough camping supplies before going there).

ArchAngel

Arcane
These DCLs feel more like contractual obligations than anything else. Maybe Varnhold's lot is good on its own, but still, they are all kind of random, kind of "eh", kind of thrown together.
Companion DLC is very good. You get "two" voiced and fully integrated companions (that means companions quests and new companions commenting on stuff during the game just like all others do), new race with subrace options and new class with 3 subclasses. Also that class is arguably the most powerful class for end game.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I killed the wererats long ago before I got Bokken's quest. Now I'm stuck on An Ancient Formula. Did that develop into something interesting or was it meh? Believe it or not, I still haven't gotten an Arcane Magic Advisor though I'm just about to with my Divinity at Rank 3 and at 50-something. It's the only advisor spot i haven't filled yet and i feel I'm missing a lot because of that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Companion DLC is very good. You get "two" voiced and fully integrated companions (that means companions quests and new companions commenting on stuff during the game just like all others do), new race with subrace options and new class with 3 subclasses. Also that class is arguably the most powerful class for end game.
I'm not saying they aren't good, just a bit underwhelming. But maybe that's good, you get a complete game from the get-go and don't feel like you are missing out on something without having the DLCs, and the DLCs are there if you want to support the developers and want to get a little bit something extra for repeat playthroughs. I kinda like it when I put it that way. It's just that we are almost conditioned to think the DLCs are almost always the best part because the developers already know what they are doing and where the strength of the game is, and I automatically felt like we are missing out on something when it isn't more meaty.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I killed the wererats long ago before I got Bokken's quest. Now I'm stuck on An Ancient Formula. Did that develop into something interesting or was it meh? Believe it or not, I still haven't gotten an Arcane Magic Advisor though I'm just about to with my Divinity at Rank 3 and at 50-something. It's the only advisor spot i haven't filled yet and i feel I'm missing a lot because of that.
If you mean the wererats in that cave those are not the ones you need for Bokken quest. A new area spawns left of Oleg's Post with some random wererats.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
If you mean the wererats in that cave those are not the ones you need for Bokken quest. A new area spawns left of Oleg's Post with some random wererats.

I doesn't matter anymore because I think I finally told Bokken to stuff it. I mean, the dude wanted me to do animal testing with his mad, horrid potions n shit! Humans are one thing, but doggies and cute wererats? Nah. Remember, I won't even kill a mastodon unless I find a good bison burger recipe that gives me epic level God-like powers while camping.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Wererats are people right? And you can lie about the doggie.

I always had profound sympathy for the werefolk. I cried when I was 4 years old and saw on TV the werewolf getting shot in Werewolf of London and he's laying there with his dying breath saying something sad and sentimental. However, in a kill or be killed situation, like the tough encounter (for early lvl at least) in the cave with the alchemist wererat and his henchemen I will defend myself.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
God-like? Don't know about that. But I rather like the permanent +2 to all stats potion he may eventually make.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I just had a fun battle during the Ancient Curse questline in Chapter 6 (with hopefully only one or two chapters left, correct? Because I'm starting to hit that wall of weariness with the length of this game). All my party were left groaning and twitching in the dirt about to be called home by their various Gods except for Jubilost. He used his last remaining pep-potion to prop himself up and fire the fatal shot that killed the bad bad Bald Hitlltop boss. Both their health indicators were at the tiniest increment. But Jubilost rang in the Jubilee! It was genuinely exciting and the way combat-heavy RPGs should be played for maximum enjoyment. I'm so glad I went back and reloaded an old save to resurrect him from a fatal game bug. The little guy saved the day, and deserves free laptop dances from each and every one of those gnome strippers in Pitax, where I'm heading to celebrate. Huzzah!

Getting back to the the length of this game- well, someone on Steam said it best:

"Jesus. I'm still in Act 2 after like 100 hours in. Send help!"

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite

first result when you search for laptop dance
is this how you reward your companions? no wonder they bug out and delete themselves.

ArchAngel

Arcane
First time I didn't pick Chaotic Neutral "No Import Taxes" option and now around and during Pitax chapter I keep losing status to "quest" and I have no idea what is causing it exactly. First it dropped from Stable to Worried (this was when I picked to have some Import Tax) and then to Troubled and then I did a 1000 GP event that brought it back to Worried. Then it again dropped to Troubled and then to Riot. And I still have no idea what is dropping it. My GP didn't drop to 0 or less and I don't know which events can also do this. I cleared 3 Pitax quest areas fairly fast.

The problem is that in my last two playthroughs of this area even with No Import Taxes chosen I don't remember Kingdom Status dropping at all. I have no clue what has changed here.. I wish game was more clear about what is causing these events.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I had a similar problem. It all stabilized after Pitax and development oh high Kingdom stats in the remaining areas (notably Stability and Divine I think) and continued Serene till end game.

Barbarian

Arcane
Playing this with a half-orc thug in "challenging" difficulty and having quite a blast. The game has its flaws but remains true to old-school P&P influences and that is refreshing. Also the game being legitimaly difficult in an age of popamole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom