Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker sales and the single-player real-time-with-pause ceiling

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
That explains why starcraft is so popular in Korea. Gotta click click click and pan the screen around like a madman.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>Gotta click click click and pan the screen around like a madman.
That's how I play Pathfinder. Click, click, click, click. Then I break my mouse from all of that clicking.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sounds nightmarish. RTSes are fundamentally different than RPGs and the purely mechanical controlling of them is a celebrated feature. RPGs being real time with pause betrays a lack of understanding of the genre.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Seek help

Surrender accepted. Thanks for fucking up BG3, PnPers.
In order to fuck up BG3, you need BG first. And you have us to thank for that, too. :smug:
>Gotta click click click and pan the screen around like a madman.
That's how I play Pathfinder. Click, click, click, click. Then I break my mouse from all of that clicking.
Fucking monks with all their attacks per round, wouldn't a single big CLICK be better?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Sounds nightmarish. RTSes are fundamentally different than RPGs and the purely mechanical controlling of them is a celebrated feature. RPGs being real time with pause betrays a lack of understanding of the genre.
It's really not. You keybind a lot of the stuff. There's actually not all of that much clicking, expect for issuing orders to your units. And using the pause function when things get too hectic. For move commands, you just open up the map and click once on the location you want your units to go to. Seriously, grab yourself a decently made martial build; then watch as they do work.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
As someone with the not that notable 350 hours in Company of Heroes 2, 95% of which in online PvP, there is lots of clicking, lots of hotkeys, but also fast thinking and analysis in a tight timeframe. At least it's enough to play 2 35-45 min games and you are emotionally exhausted for the day.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
The funny thing is that these RPG RTWP games aren't really that micro intensive.

I always suspected that RTwP fans usually only control their MC, while letting the rest of the party to be run by AI scripts. Is it so?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I don't know. But I can only speak for myself. On the hardest difficulty you need complete control over your team mates. The companions acting on their own will lead to mistakes, which will cause a party wipe or some such. In short you have to micromanage the whole party. It's really not that difficult. In pathfinder you can create strong builds that will nullify the difficulty. Really, the only micro is during the early game for unfair. When you have to pay full attention to everything that is going on. Once you reach mid game content, the game basically plays itself out.

The people who whine about the micromanagement are over blowing it.

Speaking of which, I can't imagine playing on the lower difficulties. Game would be too easy. Any decently made martial would run through everything, making the game mind numbingly simple. At least on Unfair you have to actually think and micro your team somewhat.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Because they would be fiddly to control. I mean even more so.
I don't agree. Make a decent monk, I have a guide for that here. Then play on a low difficulty. Then watch as your monk one shots everything that breathes. It's really that easy. Hell, any decent martial build will plow through the game on normal and challenging. Select all ---> Target enemy ---> Kill enemy. That's basically the "intensive micro" that you're talking about. On unfair, thanks to the inflated stats, enemies pose an actual challenge and a threat to you. You have to think and play smart. I refuse to believe that the game below Unfair requires any form of micro or thought in order for you to be successful.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't want the game to play itself, neither do I want an RTS in my RPG. RTwP is always one extreme or the other but with pause to make it weirder. You seem to misunderstand the complaints against RTwP.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
>You seem to misunderstand the complaints against RTwP.
No. I just don't care for them. You're preaching for stuff that will ruin the genre for me.

Codex Year of the Donut
have you considered just watching videos of other people playing video games since you don't seem to actually enjoy playing them?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
have you considered just watching videos of other people playing video games since you don't seem to actually enjoy playing them?
In what manner are you eluding to here? I think I enjoy playing Kingmaker. Got 2k hours in it so far. Might blow it to 3k hours at the rate I am going. I play exclusively on unfair. Hell, I dare say I got my moneys worth with that difficulity. I like the game. If I didn't, I wouldn't be here talking about it, or being excited for the sequel. Speaking of which, I sure do hope we get a SCS mod for kingmaker in the future. SCS mod + Unfair = happy times.

Lacrymas

Arcane
No. I just don't care for them. You're preaching for stuff that will ruin the genre for me.
You do realize that's like saying "I get the criticisms against eating shit, but I just don't care for them."

Yeah, ok, but don't try to sell other people on how putting some powdered sugar on top brings out the delicacy and richness of smell.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
You do realize that's like saying "I get the criticisms against eating shit, but I just don't care for them."

Yeah, ok, but don't try to sell other people on how putting some powdered sugar on top brings out the delicacy and richness of smell.
Other way around. It's more like you barging into a fine establishment. And yelling at people to stop enjoying their gourmet meals. RTwP is a fine damn meal. And you're the one making it hard for the rest of us to enjoy our meal in peace.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's only if you consider a country outhouse as "a fine establishment" and an especially viscous diarrhea as "gourmet".

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
In order to fuck up BG3, you need BG first. And you have us to thank for that, too. :smug:

Amen, brother. Love me some PnPers. I mean, other than the smell. Just wish y'all'd quit swinging your micropeens around and fucking up my cRPGs.

I play TB too (almost all autopauses set), I just use this tool to let the turns happen at the same time. No fast clicking, no lightning reflexes, just another order of magnitude in decision complexity.

No more complicated than that.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
That's only if you consider a country outhouse as "a fine establishment" and an especially viscous diarrhea as "gourmet".
Yeah you're right. DOS 3 is most assuredly a diarrhea dish best served in the trash. You ought to play Kingmaker instead.

I'll be playin both and looking forward to the RTwP patch for BG3. Once WotR breaks sales records, they'll fall in line.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom