Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker sales and the single-player real-time-with-pause ceiling

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The funny thing is that these RPG RTWP games aren't really that micro intensive.

I always suspected that RTwP fans usually only control their MC, while letting the rest of the party to be run by AI scripts. Is it so?
No, actually I just initiate combat with the MC from sneak mode, and then I leave everything to the AI scripts.
:troll:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's making such a comeback that the new pathfinder game will have a turnbased combat mode.
Believe it or not. People who don't like RTwP, and prefer Turn Based, also have a right to enjoy the upcoming Pathfinder game. It's called choice. Kind of how we have different difficulty modifiers for people that suck at video games. Choice is what we should demand more of, not less of.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Choice is what we should demand more of, not less of.
Not when we can't have everything at a reasonable level. And due to budget constraints, we can't, so TB it is. In these situations, we have to realize what is superfluous, extraneous, nonsensical, vestigial, weird artifact from another time, whatever other word you can come up with for RTwP, and excise the cancer.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Choice is what we should demand more of, not less of.
Not when we can't have everything at a reasonable level. And due to budget constraints, we can't, so TB it is.
Wrath raised over 2 million dollars. The developers have gone on record to say they're implementing both. To make the deal even sweeter, you can even toggle it off or on. So, now you get your pen and paper experience, and rest of us can get a video game. How delightful!

Lacrymas

Arcane
You are deluded if you think they are going to focus as much on TB as on RTwP. The good news is that this is a TB system, so it can kinda stand on its own with a foot missing like the TB mod for KM proved. I just wish it wasn't smeared with the trash fights RTwP tends to be infested with. Trash is usually associated with a dumpster, though.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
You are deluded if you think they are going to focus as much on TB as on RTwP. The good news is that this is a TB system, so it can kinda stand on its own with a foot missing.
>You are deluded if you think they are going to focus as much on TB as on RTwP
I actually played both the Turn Based mod and RTwP for Kingmaker. If they're implementing the mod as is, you got a damn fine TB game to look forward to.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
>I just wish it wasn't smeared with the trash fights RTwP tends to be infested with. Trash is usually associated with a dumpster, though.
Kingmaker isn't well balanced for the story mode difficulty. Nor is it will balanced for any of the lower difficulties, actually. The game is best to be played on Unfair. Hell, Unfair should be the base difficulty for the whole game. Throw in forced iron man mode too. In any case, you don't see me bloviating at people who play at the lower difficulties.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
What does the difficulty have to do with that?
That it is possible to deliver a gaming experience that can satisfy both parties. Good god, if Owlcat can satisfy the casuals, then they surely can satisfy the group that wants the pen and paper experience. Follow along, would ya? Logic goes as follows: Turn Based and RTwP are not as imbalanced as you're making it out to be. If the game is too easy, increase the difficulty. The system is already built on a Turn Based rule set. All Owlcat did was modify certain mechanics to suit a Real Time environment. The developers are working to bring you that pnp experience, while also giving you options to play in Real Time if you so choose. Have a little faith in the Russians. If you've played the TB mod for Kingmaker as I have, you'd know that it did a good job of emulating that tactical TB experience. The only real issue in regards to "balance" is encounter design.

>Stop greentexting on the 'dex, Pink Eye.
As with all things, you take the good with the bad. You have to accept me for who I am.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Russians have been producing the world's finest literature for centuries.

Owlcat is a continuation of that tradition.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm going to bed, so I'm going to let someone else explain why RTwP and TB design are mutually exclusive and is not a matter of flipping a switch.

Vatnik Wumao

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm going to bed, so I'm going to let someone else explain why RTwP and TB design are mutually exclusive and is not a matter of flipping a switch.
Catch you later. I don't know what you're trying to achieve here with me. Wrath will support both modes. Leave your crusade in the BG 3 thread.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
>Why though?
I mistook that as a sleight. Apologies. Can never know when people are being contemptuous on the 'dex ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom