Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Varnhold's Lot DLC Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Kingmaker; Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Varnhold's Lot

There have typically been two types of expansion packs for RPGs - post-game expansions which are separate campaigns that are often sequels in all but name, and mid-game expansions that add additional content to the base game. The new Varnhold's Lot DLC for Pathfinder: Kingmaker is an unusual combination of the two. It's a separate campaign, but it takes place during the events of Kingmaker with consequences that can be exported to the base game. You play as the general of Maegar Varn, a fellow baron of the Stolen Lands who appears in the main campaign. This expansion is his story:

Just as you were claiming your first title, another hero of the Stolen Lands became a baron too: Maegar Varn, captain of the Varnling Host mercenary band and rightful ruler of Varnhold (this guy sure likes the sound of his name!). If you've played the main campaign, you already know what happened to him next... Or do you? In this DLC, you join Varn as his general, and experience Varnhold's valorous history firsthand — the whole of it, not just the outcome!
  • Play a self-contained side story. Create a new character and spend 6-12 hours fighting for the future of Varnhold while your main campaign's hero establishes their barony in the Shrike Hills.
  • Experience the adventure from a companion's point of view. Maegar Varn might be your liege — but what worth is a ruler without advisors, and what can a lord achieve without his host? Lead your commander to victory in combat and to prosperity in peace — and, perhaps, you'll see those who followed you in your main campaign with new eyes!
  • Explore a huge new dungeon. What secrets lie in the forbidden depths, guarded by centaurs of the Nomen tribe? What monsters lurk there, and what treasures glimmer in the dark? Open the ancient doors, and fight your way through Lostlarn Keep!
  • Spark a new love. Varn is your commander, an old friend and a trusted ally... But could he mean something more to you? Play as a heroine to find out!
  • Import your legacy into the main campaign! After you finish the DLC, a new event will unlock in the main story: Maegar Varn will invite you to visit the dungeon once again — to witness the consequences of your decisions... and, while you're there, to pick up the loot that was left behind!
Discover the untold stories of the Stolen Lands' denizens and conquerors in our new DLC — "Varnhold's Lot"!​

Varnhold's Lot is a more substantial expansion than The Wildcards and has been priced accordingly. It can be yours for $12 on Steam or GOG. You can read about the accompanying hotfix here. Owlcat plan to release the game's next major patch in March.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Any new companions in this or is it mercs/solo only?

So wots the new dlc like? Do you create an entire party or do you have companions from the base game? Or new ones?
You get Varn and his mage, create your own pc and then recruit 3 mooks (the game has 3 premade if you prefer, or you can make them yourself).
To add more info, because the press blurb is kinda lame:
The dlc campaign starts you of at level 5, one fight away from level 6.
Varn is a rogue speced into short swords.
Cephalus is a wizard with conjuration speciality.

I played it for a short while yesterday. It seems it is a fairly linear campaign, so far all the overworld movement is done by Varn (technically he's the protag, your pc is his follower/general), ie without player input.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is weird. Why would I want to play an expansion with an entirely different character that isn't my main character from the main game?
Can you at least "recruit" this DLC's main character into the party of your actual main character after it is done?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Why would I want to play an expansion with an entirely different character that isn't my main character from the main game?
This viewpoint is baffling to me. Why would you want to play the same character in a different story?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
How does it work? importing the choices into your main campaign.

Can you start the DLC, complete it, then start a new main campaign and still be able to import the choices?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Can you start the DLC, complete it, then start a new main campaign and still be able to import the choices?

https://owlcatgames.com/forums/show...C-out-on-Feb-28!&p=38820&viewfull=1#post38820

Yep, AFAIK, that's more or less how it's going to work.

You choose in the main menu whether you want to play the main campaign or the DLC.

Once you've finished the DLC at least once, the game remembers this fact. From now on, when you are playing the main campaign, a window will pop up once you've reached a certain point in the story and ask you to choose which DLC result you'd like to import (in case you've completed the DLC 18 times, for example).

Once you choose a result to import or decline to import, the decision is PERMANENT for this save file and all later ones that "stem" from this one. If you load an earlier save file, the game will prompt you to choose again. You can import the same DLC result onto as many main campaigns as you'd like (of course, most of you have at least 29 concurrent playthroughs, I assume).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why would I want to play an expansion with an entirely different character that isn't my main character from the main game?
This viewpoint is baffling to me. Why would you want to play the same character in a different story?
Nah, I wasn't trying to imply that.

Let me rephrase: Why tell that story to begin with, instead of a story that focuses on the actual main character? Feels like playing some completely unimportant sideshow.
I'd get it if it was a proper sequel, kind of telling the story from a different perspective. That can work.
But this is just a 6-12 hour romp with which the character you play in a 80+ hour game actually has nothing to do.. and the character that you do play in it will never be heard of anywhere anyway. It just seems entirely pointless to me.

Like... Imagine a Witcher 3 expansion in which you do not play any of the important characters (honestly, I'd love to play a while as Dandelion, would be funny), instead just some random dude/gal who does something somewhere, for 5-10 hours, and then you just play the main game normally without even meeting the guy.
Oh, but maybe a town will have red instead of blue roofs as a result.

What I don't get is why someone would even spend any time on this instead of expanding the actual main game.
This sounds like some NWN module :lol:

Septaryeth

Augur

https://owlcatgames.com/forums/show...C-out-on-Feb-28!&p=38820&viewfull=1#post38820

Yep, AFAIK, that's more or less how it's going to work.

You choose in the main menu whether you want to play the main campaign or the DLC.

Once you've finished the DLC at least once, the game remembers this fact. From now on, when you are playing the main campaign, a window will pop up once you've reached a certain point in the story and ask you to choose which DLC result you'd like to import (in case you've completed the DLC 18 times, for example).

Once you choose a result to import or decline to import, the decision is PERMANENT for this save file and all later ones that "stem" from this one. If you load an earlier save file, the game will prompt you to choose again. You can import the same DLC result onto as many main campaigns as you'd like (of course, most of you have at least 29 concurrent playthroughs, I assume).

I had a brief look at the replies.
What if I want a linear play through, without going back to an older save?
Should I stop somewhere in the middle of chapter 2, go back to the main campaign, start then finish the DLC, then continue the main campaign?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom