Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Stats are fine, build is so redundant as to suggest the people doing the builds have no idea what they’re doing. Both in terms of redundant with other companions and in his case where he’s burned several Finesse Feats to accomplish exactly nothing.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Stats are fine, build is so redundant as to suggest the people doing the builds have no idea what they’re doing. Both in terms of redundant with other companions and in his case where he’s burned several Finesse Feats to accomplish exactly nothing.
Disappointing to hear. But wasn't the alpha meant to take feedback for situations like those?

Desiderius

Patron
No, there's a good bit of that in fact. I mean you need the Knowledge and Lore to know what weaknesses to target. Playing Trickster takes it to the extreme.

I mean that sentence in "these non-combat scripted events are affecting the next combat encounter quite significantly", not in "use Lore skills to get enemy weaknesses when you inspect them" sense. A good parallel would be: finding and poisoning Srag Lord's wine, passing Lore checks in Outpost to set up the tar and traps vs the Bandit. In a lot of other cases passing non-combat skill checks before encouter usually means skipping it all-together or reducing enemy number (e.g. passing a lot of Diplomacy checks in both games).

The action economy always matters for the player. That's how they get away with all those ridonkulous abilities and gear - in most cases you can only use one at a time so the challenge is what to use when. If you fight the (quasi-)optional stuff on level it's plenty challenging.

yeah, but I mean this one in the sense that due to the fact that the Dragon has terrifying presence + will start with unleashing breath weapon on your arse, that battle was few if not only one where the first few turns are critical on the player part to manage movement and use abilities as neccesary. If you bring Daeran this is one of the few scenarios where his Oracle weaknes is "this is annoying but we can work with this" to "oh shit Daeran is staggered in the first round" (the other usually involves Gargoyle or something spawned on your backline at start of battle).

In most other encounters you will nearly always start pre-buffed so its just a matter of being efficient, doing so is not critical to actually win/surviving the encounter. I do agree that lot of the optional fights have action economy matter even with pre-buff tho. The one I remember the most is the big Demon thing in basement/old section of Arelu labs.

Unless you’re playing my Bard/Alchemist/Freebooter/Cleric buffapalooza you’re going to have to get creative on Hard on at least three fights I can think of off of the top of my head in Ch 2 alone, and the mandatory fights are harder than anything in P:K due to sky high SR (Hexes/Bombs can get around that but if you’re just casting and fighting you’ve got an uphill battle).

The main fight in Ch 1 is all about who you recruit to help you (if anyone at all) so that’s a lot like Stag Fort.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
so until chapter 3 you already can fight 2 dragons! those are full dragons not edgy linnorms right?

both fights I mentioned are againts 1 dragon, she escapes the first one and you track to kill her. it is a young red dragon I think?

there are white dragons you kill but those are less scripted and just another part of an encounter basically. I think there are 2 of them?

serch

Magister
How are the difficulty settings in Wrath of the Righteous, bros? I really enjoyed the first game, but how they increased difficulty beyond challenging I found retarded. You know, double damage and cheap stats increases. I heard this time they`d change mob size and access to high level skills, which I find more apealing. Is there something of that in the beta test?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
How are the difficulty settings in Wrath of the Righteous, bros? I really enjoyed the first game, but how they increased difficulty beyond challenging I found retarded. You know, double damage and cheap stats increases. I heard this time they`d change mob size and access to high level skills, which I find more apealing. Is there something of that in the beta test?

correction: it is currently Alpha, so a lot of thing is subject to change

1. General difficulty of the game is higher than KM on "Core" difficulties (no enemy stats buff at all, bigger mob size). In general your party is fighting enemies who are of higher CR than the party of your level. The enemy mages in general are far more lethal than anything in KM. A fucking mage Cultist here is probably more dangerous than Vordakai in KM. Heck, some optional encounters in this game are harder than majority of boss fight in KM. Later on you are given more tools to dea with this (Mythic Levels, abilities, and feats) so it tone the difficulty down but in general you will be more threathened in most of the game compared to KM.

2. Yes there is Mob size modifier to the difficulties. Honestly I never use them. Core, the difficulty I am playing on, has the Mob size to bigger mob size and the difficulty feels just right with no enemy stats buff.

3. The game, in general, has some encounters where you really have to be creative instead of just "OOGA BOOGA BUFF, BARBARIAN/FIGHTER/RANGER SMASH". On Core I think there are some ecounters where you really can't just "throw buff and let my figher smack stuff." There are enemies with like 40 Natural AC bonus or something (Giant Purple Worm, some ghost minotaurs) where you really need to use your spellcasters. The Giant Purple Worm thing is on top of my mind, time first time I am forced to win an encounter with ability score damage/negative levels not only in Pathfinder KM/WoR but also in older D&D CRPGs. I really can't imagine winning that fight using HP damage unless you are bringing a lot of touch attacks/spells. Same case with the ghost minotaurs. The red dragon fight I discussed earlier is also nice.

4. There is an option for advanced enemy AI/behaviour but what that is exactly is unknow as it is not in Alpha yet.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I another news: https://wrath.owlcatgames.com/preorder

What does the Beta Early Access include?
Beta Early Access will include more actual content instead of placeholders, and a new chapter that was not in the alpha. Also, although beta stage also means work in progress, it will be overall a much more polished experience than the alpha.

When will I be able to get my beta key?
When the beta test begins. After that you will be able to get your beta key in your Digital Downloads section. We plan to begin the beta in January-February of 2021.

So it seems Beta will not be the complete game. Current Alpha is Prologue + 3 Chapters. Based on that FAQ it means Beta will only be until Chapter 4. :argh:I really doubt they will get the game in time in June now lol. I think they are working on a new Chapter at a pace of 3 months/chapter. The game is suspposed to be at least 6 chapters (1 chaapter per 1 AP book, there are 6 AP books). That put June as the barest minimum they will be finishing these chapters on not counting bug fixing etc. Not to mention that Chapter 5 and 6 are supposed to be when the majority of diverging stuff from Mythic Path start to come into play.

And fuck me, I can't play the beta on end of year holiday. Was hoping I can play this game a lot on Chirstmas + New Year holiday.

razvedchiki

Erudite
1. General difficulty of the game is higher than KM on "Core" difficulties (no enemy stats buff at all, bigger mob size). In general your party is fighting enemies who are of higher CR than the party of your level. The enemy mages in general are far more lethal than anything in KM. A fucking mage Cultist here is probably more dangerous than Vordakai in KM. Heck, some optional encounters in this game are harder than majority of boss fight in KM. Later on you are given more tools to dea with this (Mythic Levels, abilities, and feats) so it tone the difficulty down but in general you will be more threathened in most of the game compared to KM.

mages finally learned to cast dispel :lol:?

also was there any cavalry action?

Desiderius

Patron
It’s clunky, but yes there are Mounted Feats/combat. I have a Drovier with Snap Shot riding a Dog with Trip, so the Drovier buffs the CM, and the CM triggers the Snap Shot, so that’s fun.

he has high Mobility so can use that to save the mount from any failed save.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Just got the alpha. :dance: Hyped to play. Kingmaker (asides from the last dungeon) is a 9/10 , best crpg i played. Sorry Josh Balanceman Sawyer..But Deadfire doesn't come even close :cry:

Got the alpha a week ago but I was pretty fucking disappointed to learn that the current build doesn't include turn-based mode yet.
Tried to play a bit with RTWP but exactly like KM before the turn-based mode the combat is just not clicking for me. I simply don't enjoy it.

Well, I don't vote Trump because I live in Italy, not in the United States. Also, because "unhinged retarded" is not really my favorite flavor of government.

About autopause, I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm confident you can't be autistic to the point of suggesting it's a proper replacement for turn-based gameplay.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
About autopause, I'm not sure what you mean
Thus, my question. What is wrong with you (as a representative of Western players)?

you can't be autistic to the point of suggesting it's a proper replacement for turn-based gameplay.
Proper autopause settings make RTwP immensely better than any turn-based outside of XCOM type games. RPG developers do not care about interruptions and overwatches, and cannot implement them properly. And without interruptions turn-based mode is an official cheat.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Ugh ffs, not this again. Pausing doesn't make the game TB, I don't mind RTWP that much but please stop with the :just pause the game bullshit:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
smaug so you're OK when goblins just stay in-place waiting for a perfectly positioned fireball instead of trying to interrupt the caster by shooting at him. As any sectoid or muton would do on overwatch.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ugh ffs, not this again. Pausing doesn't make the game TB, I don't mind RTWP that much but please stop with the :just pause the game bullshit:
'eeeeeyyy... look at you all grown up. :)

If I throw some posts at you, from yourself, from last year, you might actually blush. You know... I might actually be unsurprised if that shitposter tag would dissapear misteriously within the next year too. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom