Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Parabalus

Arcane
They made the camera in the game horrible so that it can be used as a gimmick in the Abyss.

Completely in character for Owlcat :mixedemotions:.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
20210225210557-1.jpg
owlshill defense force, please defend this
I just want something to laugh at

You need to take Selective Cornholing so his attacks only affect the enemy.

Shinros

Learned
I just want to make a comment, some have said Command ability builds aren't good at the moment and yet I'm finding otherwise. Let no one tell you that Trip builds are bad, you know those annoying gargoyles? They have rubbish CMD, Actually if you're just a fighter, you will beat most demon's CMD and with buffs along archon aura you can make most normal demons lie on the floor. Apparently you can get a mythic feat for the build that allows you to roll twice and take the best result.

Grey Garrison
20210227160928_1.jpg

Nameless ruins
20210227180834_1.jpg

And here is my character at the nameless ruins. Didn't dump anything.
JyGqFgL.jpg

Desiderius

Patron
You're beating them because you're non-Good lol (and also well built looks like - let us know if you think HK is better than just base Armiger would be), but yeah CMs much better supported in Wrath and it's great.

Beast Shape Trip.jpg

This is a Lvl 6 Brown Fur Transmuter Arcanist with 12 base STR I think who has Transmuted himself into a Wolf.

Early Trick.jpg

Fighter5/StudentofWar1 with Drovier4/ZA2 Lann using his CMB Aura

Midgame CMB Drezen.jpg

Fighter5/Student3 using Shatter Defenses to Blind a boss for three rounds. Know ticks up next level, as does Courage. Touch of Good like a mini True Strike.

Wrath high CMD.jpg

This guy's a little more of a challenge. You do get some +CMB equipment by this time.

Shinros

Learned
You're beating them because you're non-Good lol (and also well built looks like - let us know if you think HK is better than just base Armiger would be), but yeah CMs much better supported in Wrath and it's great.

View attachment 18046

This is a Lvl 6 Brown Fur Transmuter Arcanist with 12 base STR I think who has Transmuted himself into a Wolf.

View attachment 18047

Fighter5/StudentofWar1 with Drovier4/ZA2 Lann using his CMB Aura

View attachment 18048

Fighter5/Student3 using Shatter Defenses to Blind a boss for three rounds. Know ticks up next level, as does Courage. Touch of Good like a mini True Strike.

View attachment 18049

This guy's a little more of a challenge. You do get some +CMB equipment by this time.

Going Armiger would have its advantages due to feats, I picked Hellknight because I might find myself a situation where trip may not be the best strategy. A fighter having smite is rather useful in both terms of damage and survivability and the order of the chain has their unique discipline where the targeted enemy of your smite will be also be affected by slow if they fail their will save. One of the other reasons is because I wanted to make use of my charisma stat since in my opinion, your main character should have decent charisma because you're the leader of the party and you might find yourself in a situation where you can't use your companions for persuasion. Lastly, force of will in general will be useful for a fighter due to how many enemies in wrath use compulsion spells and anything to protect you from that is useful, again my opinion.

Oh and I forgot to add that Hellknight allows you to pick a mythic ability where all of your attacks count as good for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

OwpcAr9.jpg

Parabalus

Arcane
So you can just skip the entire Abyss by walking into the hidden abode (behind the evil aasimar's house). Looks extremely bugged.

What's the deal with these runes around the city? I found some stone from a terry but that isn't it.

Desiderius

Patron
How about some HoMM action?

Army morale.jpg

Morale for not abandoning men for loot at Swarm Queen paying off at key moment in key fight. The way the obstacles lined up he would have taken some punishment, instead he wiped two stacks in one turn. No losses for entire fight.

Army level up.jpg

Buffing/healing big Pike stacks straight from HoMM/Master of Magic.

Wolj Trickeration.jpg

Wolj keeping things low maintenance on the Trickery beat. Gonna miss the little bugger. Er, buggers.

Ember Spell Pen lvl7.jpg

Ember almost there on the Spell Pen. This is actually bugged or maybe main forgot to turn on the kitty. In any event she's 17 here and will be 20 very soon from Mythic. This being Hard he makes the save anyway (was at 50%). We have ways of adjusting that. Just not yet (Evil Eye ticks up to -4 next level).

ShivStats.jpg

We're gingerly creeping in to attack this guy. Managed to forget the See Invis, Communal so won't be able to clear out Wisps beforehand either.

ShivAbilities.jpg

They've only turned on about half these abilities. He's already insane. Evil Sosiel. Level 18 Sosiel and we're level 7.

OuchShiv.jpg

So this is kind of embarrassing. The kind of thing that makes you want to take a Monk splash. But really what's another 4 or 5 AC here? Even another ten? Wrong approach. We tried to get down the ramp before he showed up by Charging the Incubus at the bottom but there wasn't enough room for everybody and two more Incubi showed up to foil that plan, leaving poor Infinitron a sitting duck. She did get off that Prayer first though.

Time for new superpower. SWIFT action.

Got away.jpg

Gets away scot free to fight another day. Not out of the woods yet since Shiv's now tearing through Wolj's Mirror Images. Nenio casting strategic displacement on him, Seelah Enlarged this time waiting behind him. Might have been better to toast that last add to turn off Outflank on Shiv. Once again pet gets lost in the shuffle, may start mounting up on fights like this.

Turning PointShiv.jpg

Shiny dagger underrated. When it crits it Blinds, not save, no resistance. Only one round, but that should be enough. If it isn't Nenio with the Displacement on Wolj for insurance. Didn't bring Sosiel so missing his Crusader's Edges here or would be doing much more damage.

ShinyCritSeelah.jpg

This is how good Blindness is. Great on Offense and defense. Lvl 7 owning lvl 18.

WoljOwns.jpg

Wolj takes out the garbage. Infinitron about to fire off a Dazzling to turn on Shatter for Lann on those Wisps. Law Domain lvl 4 spell Protection from Energy, Communal coming through again. No random Electricity ruining my day thanks. Be prepared.

LannWisp.jpg

Retreat down to an area with easier flanking and business taken care off. Another really great setup for a tough challenge.

One other note: you can see above Infinitron's Stunning Barrier triggering. This is a great spell for first level that is supposed to bypass Spell Resistance but is bugged here. It wasn't in P:K. It keeps firing until it works so even at lowish DC is very good for passive save or dies.

Desiderius

Patron
The DR/Good was a big issue for HKs in the alpha - really should have some more DR/Lawful - but there are now ways around it that don't require burning a Mythic. There's always Bless Weapon which also lets you autoconfirm crits, and Magical Weapon, Greater stacks to get you to +5 to bypass it by midgame anyway.

Parabalus

Arcane
Anyone manage to do Woljif's quest in C4? Hangs on the second scene for me, in the basement.

Shinros

Learned
The DR/Good was a big issue for HKs in the alpha - really should have some more DR/Lawful - but there are now ways around it that don't require burning a Mythic. There's always Bless Weapon which also lets you autoconfirm crits, and Magical Weapon, Greater stacks to get you to +5 to bypass it by midgame anyway.

Yes there are ways around it, but if I have seelah with me I would like to use her bless weapon on other characters, HK does also give you lawful weapons eventually so in a sense you get both. It's another thing where your smite should work with attacks of opportunity and with greater trip, once you trip a target you do attacks of opportunity which is even more damage with the aid of smite. Once I encounter some demons I will test it. Also you can give them bless weapon anyway and they get the auto-confirm crits with everything they already have if you choose to do so.

Edit: Just tested it, attacks of opportunity caused by greater trip is affected by smite chaos, tested it on a chaotic evil cultist.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
kind of thing that makes you want to take a Monk splash. But really what's another 4 or 5 AC here? Even another ten?
For your char probably not worth it. You want closing to 40 AC on chapter 1 and closing to 50 for Chapter 2 already. I was at 48-49 at level 8. Remove flanking and he's 30, remove -4 with Ember if she is level 8 (she can also debuff AB, u kno) it's 26. Add Ward and you're not getting hit. He's being nice using that power attack.

Enemies often pack enough attacks to blow thru your mirrors and later True Seeing so they will hack through your Concealment as well.

You can of course stick to desu-tactic but then, without proper defence and control, don't be surprised on smilodons or gargoyles occasional reks, you have only saint Yosh to blame for your tunnel vision.

Btw this super Chain Mail of Mega Flank does it work? I tried it and I don't think it does anything if you already have Outflank.

I just want to make a comment, some have said Command ability builds aren't good at the moment and yet I'm finding otherwise. Let no one tell you that Trip builds are bad
It's just that all companions are too stupid to take any. Even Dwarf with 13 int who is supposed to fight smart (and does in the plot) picked +1d6 sneak damage.

I found Hunter's dog pretty effective when I played it it greatly speeds up clearing trash, and I'm sure you can build a dedicated char for this as well.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
I was just bullshitting. She’ll be high 30s soon, which is enough. Smilo fight was just stupid play/going there underleveled. Likewise here you really want to pull him to top where you have more room but shit happens. I build to be resilient (which I was) not “unhittable.”

I don’t think making the sacrifices to get to 50 at this point (lvl 7 - before Lost Citadel) are close to worth it for just one or two fights that you don’t have to tank to handle anyway.

Pet can get in mid/high forties already if I want that.

At Shiv’s AB Power Attack is a good deal if he can keep his buds alive. Secret to doing this fight as designed is probably roasting his gang to turn off his flanking as you suggest but many of your other advices are wrong. She’s a Cleric doesn’t need Ward, Ember was only at -2 and plan was to burn him down fast and worked beautifully.

Desiderius

Patron
Can’t believe they gave Gheybor Accomplished Sneak. So weak! Build isn’t actively nonfunctional anymore but like Regill missing a lot of the basics.

Can’t afford that when fighting two-weapon.

Desiderius

Patron
She was wearing armor that gave her Knockdown on Charge which she and Wolj used to rape the Incubus that was standing there alone when the fight started. The adds just got there before the good guys could, mostly because the See, Invis Communal Wolj memorized didn’t make it because it was in the extra slot you get from Fox’s Cunning, meaning the Wisps gank you from behind instead of getting killed ahead of time as you can do if you see them.

She only got in trouble in Garg Cave because she’s a Good melee character without Smite Evil, which puts her at - 4 to everything, which is pretty rare. As it is she was fine for most of the fight and if I’d had Grace up would have been fine there. It’s an AC dead spot for sure but very manageable and a good time to go on offense with the knockdown armor.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Secret to doing this fight as designed is probably roasting his gang
Not much of a secret - their AI makes them rush you, while boss stands there and prebuffs (and throws paralyze spell afaik).

I wouldn't call pets very resilient in this one, or 30-40 ac.

I don’t think making the sacrifices to get to 50 at this point
Well it depends on the character. I wouldn't ever play some 5 str halfling thats retardoed. But fighting defensibly which you don't like to press ends with just -1 and AOO against enemies missing you. I like playing it instead of usual shatters or whatever (enemies in this one also feature immunity to shaken sometimes, like say Balor). You can still have your Outflank and pick up Ever Ready when it grows a little.

Desiderius

Patron
How do you get 50AC at lvl 7 even with Monk splash?

Desiderius

Patron
You’re going all the way to Crane Riposte? (Crane Rip only triggers if they miss you by four or less, which also removes 4 AC). Good God I was never that bad. This is shield-bashing Cleric so no interest in any of that nonsense - Crane is open hand only.

Leopard has been mid-40s for a few levels (it loses some when it grows) but can be fine tank when the pathing works and I don’t forget about it because weird UI.

Boss Dimension Doored into my back lines last time a commenced slicing up Ember, this time Lann interrupted that cast I think and he just started in on poor Infinitron.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I don't play pets atm, although I did get Aivu.

Oh yeah he does that, but before Door he casts some other spells.

Desiderius

Patron
I don't play pets atm, although I did get Aivu.

Oh yeah he does that, but before Door he casts some other spells.

He didn’t last two times I was there - he got right down to business, and business was good.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Probably old news... but...

Only played the beta a little and I can tell the new 360 camera is going to be a pain- Constantly having to pan around and getting confused on what and where I'm facing is going get old real quick. Not sure why this change was needed :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom