Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
A shame we're locked into Metallic Dragons instead of Chromatic.
It sucks ass to be locked to Gold Dragon. I was hoping to make a Dragon Bloodline Bloodrager into Dragon Disciple Dragon, but Gold Dragons are meh.

Codex Year of the Donut
If I was a dragon I think I would be Silver
You'd be a mole dragon.
mole-dragon.jpg

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
By the way, has there been any news on the race vote? I haven't been keeping up, on account of the whole "don't have a computer" thing.

Efe There is the Green Dragon though:
But no pink dragons.
Aside from the one I homebrewed a week ago or whatever.
can I charm npcs and get additional dialogue yet or is this still missing tons of features that were in baldur's gate
Nope. We will probably never see such a gem again in our lifetimes.

Never say never. Seems pretty elementary.

Desiderius

Patron
This conversation pretty much motivated me to play this game again, so thanks for that since I'm probably going to lose another 150 hours of my life. I would rate your posts with the brofists it deserves, if only I could. :argh:

Good to hear, but if you're wanting to play a DEX KK, just play Kalikke, that way if you get tired of it you can do something else. The first four levels of Rogue are some of the best in the game, but I was just going for that sweet Brutal Beating Whirlwind action. With the Air bonus feats you can even get to Crane Wing the hard way if that's something you're interested in. Would be interesting to see how it worked with Parry from Duelist 2 as well.

Val makes a fine STR KK.

BTW, you can unlock post rating via a modest donation and a hazing period not to exceed twenty years.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
This conversation pretty much motivated me to play this game again, so thanks for that since I'm probably going to lose another 150 hours of my life. I would rate your posts with the brofists it deserves, if only I could. :argh:

Good to hear, but if you're wanting to play a DEX KK, just play Kalikke, that way if you get tired of it you can do something else. The first four levels of Rogue are some of the best in the game, but I was just going for that sweet Brutal Beating Whirlwind action. With the Air bonus feats you can even get to Crane Wing the hard way if that's something you're interested in. Would be interesting to see how it worked with Parry from Duelist 2 as well.

Val makes a fine STR KK.

BTW, you can unlock post rating via a modest donation and a hazing period not to exceed twenty years.
Kali, Val, and the Baron all running as Kinetic Knights sounds like quite the KK Klub.

Desiderius

Patron

Val makes a fine STR KK.

Kali, Val, and the Baron all running as Kinetic Knights sounds like quite the KK Klub.

When Wildcards first came out Ranger Tony got so excited he made a party of six Kineticists. Somehow though he forgot to include any Kinetic Knights so got reamed so badly he barely made it out of Old Sycamore.

Painful to watch.

The WIS-based one looks like the best one of all (since caster stats are hard to boost and you end up getting +6 WIS) but it doesn’t give you WIS to CMB like it’s supposed to.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Here's a silly Motherless Psychokineticist with five Trips at lvl 9:

Psychotripper Build.jpg

PsychoTripper.jpg

Didn't get Crane Wing there since she was attacked from range.

Psycho Overflow.jpg

The bonus Psychokineticist gets from Burn is coded as Alchemical, so doesn't stack with Cognatogen.

Psycho Rush.jpg

This was Water/Air straight Psychokineticist, where you can see he's getting his CMB from DEX instead of WIS. You can see his Greater Bull Rush triggering AoOs for everyone.

PsychoSlick.jpg

Slick is the infinite Grease from Water Element, which you can see is pretty good vs Trolls and Giants with it's nice fat DC. Make Harrim a Psychokineticist and go off.

Last edited:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Just finished the tavern-defense encounter in the alpha for the first time, quite a fun fight. I have been a big fan of the TB mod for Kingmaker, but I feel like having to play this encounter in RTWP made it feel very hectic in a good way, since I feel like that fight was designed to make me spread my party thin.
Definitely some :incline: encounter design from Owlcat as far as I'm concerned.

razvedchiki

Erudite
Just finished the tavern-defense encounter in the alpha for the first time, quite a fun fight. I have been a big fan of the TB mod for Kingmaker, but I feel like having to play this encounter in RTWP made it feel very hectic in a good way, since I feel like that fight was designed to make me spread my party thin.

some details plox? are there more mobs on higher difficulties?

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

I believe mobs are bigger on higher difficulties, yes. It's an adjustable setting in the difficulty menu.
To keep it vague so as not to spoil anyone who doesn't have the alpha, the fight involves defending a courtyard from demons and cultists. You have NPC assistance from archers on the rooftops (which you can access yourself) and guards in the courtyard.
The buildings are destructible by enemy alchemists with fire bombs and the enemy mobs infiltrate the courtyard at multiple points including the rooftops so you have to run around all over the place plugging holes.
I felt like I was getting my ass kicked based on the number of NPC archers getting killed but the quest giver said we had "minimal losses" so either it's a bug or I did better than expected.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

In general, there is difficulty option that increases the number of enemies, so up to a point yeah, increasing difficulty = more mob.

For the encounter: basically enemies having multiple entries points rushing you at the same time. Imagine a siege where the defender (you and some weak arse NPCs) are very very outnumbered. Suddenly instead of the walls protecting you, it becomes enemies' point of entry and you, in middle of the walls are in a fucking killbox from enemy archers firing you from above and their soldier coming down.

Then the gate blew up with alchemists and demons entering and smashing your face.

It is a good encounter which only works in RtwP. It will not have nearly half the urgencies in TB. I think there are fairly few of them in PfK (Stag Lord final battle, especially if you don't systematically decimate all the soldiers first; saving Barth from trolls with his retarded arse casting spells and trigger 4 AoO every round; sieging Iroveti last stand with the fucking archers coming and firing you from the wall while you are moving below (and maybe the fucking Troll general as well if you don't kill her); Codex quest with teleporting Devil archers). I certainly hope Owlcat makes more of these encounters in WoR. RtwP is at its best when a lot of things are happening in parallel and with the player having to split attention and resources to tackle them.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
:yeah:
the additional mob types are more of the same or better versions?
I'm not sure, I've been playing on "Core" for the Alpha (the 2nd-hardest one, the settings are listed differently in the alpha than in KM). I've mostly been running into 2 tiers of cultists enemies ("Cultist" and "Neophyte") and 3 tiers of demon, with the occasional tougher demon thrown in.
So the extra mobs are at least thematically consistent with the original mobs, because Core has extra mobs enabled and nothing stuck out as being out of place to me.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
the additional mob types are more of the same or better versions?

I'll be honest and say that I didn't try the lower difficulty yet to check on enemy compositions.

The "Core" difficulty option is 2nd hardest difficulty in the Alpha (the hardest being, well, "Hard") and it has the mob setting at "More enemies" or something like that. There is no enemy stats buff on that difficulty and it frankly feels and plays right (I am no Desiderius or Pink Eye who are good enough at the game to play Unfair consistently in PfK).

One of the simplest enemy strategy that's used in the Alpha is having some meatshields holding you off while their spellcaster are buffing themselves or spam debuff/damaging spells. I would reckon reducing enemy numbers would reduce the number of meatshields or something. Sometimes there are 2 Cleric or Spellcaster in the backline so maybe it will also reduce the number of backline enemies when appropriate. This is all assumptions tho.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I would reckon reducing enemy numbers would reduce the number of meatshields or something. Sometimes there are 2 Cleric or Spellcaster in the backline so maybe it will also reduce the number of backline enemies when appropriate. This is all assumptions tho.
I've been facing quite a few mobs with multiple Neophyte Archers and Sharpshooters, I feel like if I was on a lower setting it would make sense to drop some of those.

do the enemy mages use dispell often? do they react to the buffs you have up with their debuffs?
I'm only level 5 in the Alpha so nobody has really easy access to Dispel, I assume the same is true of most of the enemies I'm fighting right now. As I mentioned before though they do seem to try combat maneuvers more frequently, and the archers seem to shoot at my casters more once they get into range.

Desiderius

Patron
It’s definitely more difficult, and the knob for more AI abilities hasn’t even been implemented yet. Enemy stealth/invis is far more of a thing so you’ll have rangers/slayers decloaking in your rear and summons mysteriously appearing.

For what it’s worth, I don’t play Unfair in P:K for lvls 1-11 either (I’ll turn it on for testing because that’s only fair). Core is plenty challenging (probably because you don’t have a Freebooter or Bard).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom