Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Eyebog made one of most memorable themes (Skylark) somewhere in his garage, I dont understand why would any gamer pay any attention to this stuff. It makes less sense than judging painting by a brand of paint it was painted with.

use limitation that is no limitation.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
you have episodes of proper, challenging gameplay.

without proper AI most TB games are not challenging

the last actually difficult TB RPG (not XCOM like) was Blackguard 1. Everything else is difficult for the wrong reason (stats bloat in case of DOS I and II). Until you can have SCS level AI for TB games it will always be a steamroll (or you play with enemies massively buffed up like Hard/Unfair in PfK or like in XCOM like where the number is skewed for enemy advantage). Ihaven't played BG 3 but I honestly doubt it will change my mind.

There are a couple fights on Dungeon of DippyElfChick that are challenging.

cruelio

Savant
I wonder how many TB proponents can beat XCOM 1 Long War on Brutal/Ironman.
Not sure that fighting your brain to not protectively shut down your body from the sheer tedium of moving your units one tile at a time and smashing overwatch until you’ve inched across the map over seventy four irl hours is the kind of challenge we’re talking about here.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
The one thing that really made me cringe was the Tactical Battle Screen. I never in million years thought that that was going to be how they would create tactical battles.

I pictured better angle where you move armies that fight each other. I pictured These armies having their own Generals with names.

Just what they showed was below Alpha. I didn't think it matched the quality for the rest of the game at all.

I would have composed a new Composition with Choir based on a motif from another Battle track too.

Problem is that the Tactical Battle screen can be slow to people after all Tactical is thinking and thinking is slower then action.

"The man who waits let's the other make the first mistake."

That slowness can slow down the whole flow of the game for most players....

Now how would you fix it?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
By not having HoMM battles in my RPGs. HoMM battles aren't even good (apart from HoMM4) due to a few key design decisions that drag the whole thing down (mostly whoever attacks first wins and the slew of problems that come with this, but other things too). I think they are doing this in order to create their own HoMM-like spin-off down the line.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
By not having HoMM battles in my RPGs. HoMM battles aren't even good (apart from HoMM4) due to a few key design decisions that drag the whole thing down (mostly whoever attacks first wins and the slew of problems that come with this, but other things too). I think they are doing this in order to create their own HoMM-like spin-off down the line.

What did you think about whey they had in place for the Alpha 2? It worked but arrg I just thought is was awful.

Desiderius

Patron

What did you think about whey they had in place for the Alpha 2? It worked but arrg I just thought is was awful.

What was awful about it?

On about HoMM 1.5 so far. Shouldn’t have much trouble getting there.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded

What was awful about it?

On about HoMM 1.5 so far. Shouldn’t have much trouble getting there.

The view or I should say angle was awful, the camera should be able to rotate or being at a better angle.

The Background was awful it really was just the same background for every battle.

The path finding line was awful, this could be done much much better instead of some silly line showing where to move or attack.

The Leaders were awful there is no need to make them some giants.

Most it was a lack of something.

Curious to what they will do I know everything was place holder and it was Alpha.

Lamiosa

Educated
huh, demon path for sorcerer seems pretty strong late game. Spoiler for a mythic spell
since you can get demonic form IV - Balor, if you go abyssal bloodline + melee feats + legendary proportions/frighful aspect/transformation/unholy aura + other demon path melee buffs + mythic toughness + balor's vorpal weapons you pretty much become a demon lord stat wise, only with slighty lower saves and less imunities... Devour looks insane too (3d6 x caster level), specially if we get grandmaster rod again

Desiderius

Patron
Devour looks insane too (3d6 x caster level), specially if we get grandmaster rod again[/spoiler]

Nuke.jpg

What's 1092 divided by 3d6?

Lamiosa

Educated
Devour can crit too (melee touch spell), so with grandmaster rod you would get 3 x d6 x 1.5 x 2 x caster level, let's use 20 and 25 for caster level so that would give 1080/1350 damage, plus 10 points of heal per caster level so 200/250 hp heal. Although polar ray doesn't need to pass a saving throw, but can be resisted (devour needs a saving throw, but doesn't need to bypass spell resistance)
How do you get that much damage with polar ray? From google I get "cold damage per caster level (maximum 25d6)", so with crit and the rod that gives 450 damage...edit: oh, I forgot sneak attack and getting an higher crit modifier for rays... but for the demon sorcerer I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
https://owlcatgames.com/news/61

Saying goodbye to the year 2020

Card_MerryChristmas_HappyNewYear_2021Front.jpg

Dear Pathfinders!

The year 2020 is coming to an end, and it’s time to look back and summarize our achievements.

This year was quite a challenge, almost like getting teleported into the House at the Edge of time, if you know what we mean. But we never stopped working on our games. Thanks to your support, our Kickstarter campaign in February became a huge success, we also launched the pre-order portal for slacker backers, which played its part in bringing the dinosaurs into the Worldwound region! (And by the way, if you haven’t transferred your Kickstarter pledge yet, you can still do it! If you can’t find the link to transfer your pledge, please send an email to team@owlcatgames.com, and we will help!) We moved beyond the alpha stage of Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, released Pathfinder: Kingmaker on consoles and brought turn-based mode and controller support to PC with the Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition update. We also increased our numbers, and now twice more talented people are working on bringing to life the adventures you are going to experience in the future. Now, as the year wraps up, we are preparing the beta version of Wrath of the Righteous that will become available next month! By the way, you can upgrade your order to get beta access on our recently updated pre-order portal.

But enough about us, let’s talk about you. Your support was our main source of joy and encouragement this year. You helped us gather funds for our game, supported us on social media, gave valuable feedback on the Kingmaker console port and the alpha-version of Wrath of the Righteous. You are also responsible for multiple memes and wonderful fan art. We are looking forward to next year and can’t wait to show you the fruits of our labour! Year 2021 will start with the Beta and then proceed to the most anticipated release of Wrath of the Righteous. Also you can expect many fun activities and fascinating news. We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and may the year 2021 become a lively and happy time for you! Take care of yourselves, and stay tuned for more news from us!

OwlCat-Games-2020---numbers-and-facts_60.jpg

See you next year!

Wait they have already 60 devs! Just a couple of months ago they had only 40.

Last edited by a moderator:

Desiderius

Patron
HoMM battles aren't even good
Lacry you know I love you but that's too much, man. Take it back.

I find it best just to leave her on ignore. When she says something good you can Show Ignored Content. She always gets a reaction in any case.

How do you get that much damage with polar ray? From google I get "cold damage per caster level (maximum 25d6)", so with crit and the rod that gives 450 damage...edit: oh, I forgot sneak attack and getting an higher crit modifier for rays... but for the demon sorcerer I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Sneaks are chip damage at best by that point. There are several items that add a point to each die and those stack up.

BTW, that's not my screen shot and I regret to say I've forgotten whose it is. Would appreciate if someone could provide proper credit.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
https://owlcatgames.com/news/61

Wait they have already 60 devs! Just a couple of months ago they had only 40.
Hmm, if they are actually that far into development, I guess they'll make their initial may-june 2021 release date?
The first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time. The other 10% of the project also takes 90% of the time.
And you don't want to know how much time the last 1% takes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom