Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
All that shit’s European too. Zeus had to turn into a bull to mount that bitch for a reason.

I’m all for an adventure on the Yenesei, but that’s not what any of you have in mind, and that’s how far one would have to go to escape the Euro yoke.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Actually, the conquest of Siberia by Yermak is no less interesting than the discovery of the "New World".

What is sad, though, is that Christian priests destroyed all established Siberian pagan religions, so there are almost no traces of them left. Otherwise, it would have been an exciting pantheon.

Desiderius

Patron
Actually, the conquest of Siberia by Yermak is no less interesting than the discovery of the "New World".

What is sad, though, is that Christian priests destroyed all established Siberian pagan religions, so there are almost no traces of them left. Otherwise, it would have been an exciting pantheon.

That’s never a one way street. The contributions of those hardier forefathers are what is protecting the Rus now against Osteenification.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
There are probably dozens of generic WE fantasy setting out there and complaining about moving from it is kinda dumb. The fact that there are people complaining that we need more of generic WE setting is insane. If anything PoE 2 setting is one of the few things going for it, and the fact that both PoE 1 and 2 looks stunning, area design-wise makes both game so much better than what they are, gameplay wise. Unfortunately, the setting is kinda wasted narrative-wise in PoE 2 but that's not issue of the setting.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Never much cared for the push-back against the mold of tabletop-brand fantasy kitchen-sink settings. All the archetypes, constructs and tropes used for ages past are merely tools, creative shorthand and set dressing. What really matters is how they're used and what kind of spin is being put on 'em.

Mazisky

Magister
I am playing Pathfinder WoTR alpha right now and just 1 hour in I am traversing a beautiful, classic medieval fantasy keep with the usual stone walls, banners, painting and torches on them, huge ceiling gothic chandeliers and the classic stuff you expect in a western rpg indoor castle-like. It's beautiful and atmospheric. And it wouldn't be the same if I was traversing some kind of ugly Polynesian\African\Mongolian stupid wooden shit hut or jungle idiotic indiana jones temple.

Mazisky

Magister
Impressions after 8 hours of Alpha version 2, mostly on presentation and minor stuff. I can't express yet about big gameplay stuff like mythic paths since I've barely scratched them

PRO

-Graphic is very good. Actually I like it better than Deadfire and Dos 2 and they both look very good so it's a huge compliment. Environments are full of details.

-Atmosphere is beautiful. The setting\plot chosen is perfect imho. Epic and Dark

-Love the locations. The entire first part is pretty similar to the first part of Diablo Reapers of Souls act mixed with Raedric's Hold from Pillars 1.

-Soundtrack is so good, I don't know this guy but it nailed it perfectly for the setting.

-Companions are really varied and different from each other

CONS

-Writing is awful. Characters talks like Usa modern teenagers. Dialogues are worse than Diablo 3 or DOS, which says all.

-Enemy variety is poor. Only demons and cultists over and over. However, I am confident more variety will be added before release.

The good thing is that I am enjoying the game so much that those CONS are not impacting me at all.

Mazisky

Magister
The thing which says it all is you comparing everything to Diablo 3 tbh.

Dunno what are you trying to demonstrate.

I compared to it the locations, which are identical to Diablo 3 expansion and the writing because it's horrible.

If the writing was better or the locations were meadows I could compare those aspects to an actual RPG.

Lamiosa

Educated
About enemy variety, they said
"That is actually an interesting thing, Combat variety is nearly the same, but the visual variety is smaller. Currently we are improving it. Our main idea is to add plague creatures to World Wound, which can vary from wolves to centipedes (the list of the creatures is not ready yet though). We are also looking to adhere to the lore, so there will be a logical explanation why they are there.
We are also going to add more Minotaurs - there is a lot of variety in minotaurs and they have awesome visuals."

and also,
"Maintaining your portrait when you become mythic - Yes, this will be an option."
No idea what that means.

much more here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LiQywvnat0LBWOjVHauHHOi18xXjuVld7Bh2qVexjwM/edit#gid=0

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
and also,
"Maintaining your portrait when you become mythic - Yes, this will be an option."
No idea what that means.
It means there's an option to keep your original portrait when you transition to your mythic path. Otherwise it gets changed to the mythic one.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
"Mythics are locked behind alignments. - For the good story you should have redemption or fall. It is less beliavable when you kill innocents and then become a goody-two-shoes angel. And shifting alignment in an instant isn't something lore friendly and convincing. But, if you start as an evil character and really want to become an angel, you will be able to do it - the alignment options in dialogues will have more impact on your alignment. You will be able to prove that you want to change and redeem yourself, thus becoming a paragon of good - Angel.
There will be focal/entrance points, some choices will be locked, etc."

Yet more confirmation that they know what they're doing. I am pleased.

Last edited:

Alrik

Educated
Devour can crit too (melee touch spell), so with grandmaster rod you would get 3 x d6 x 1.5 x 2 x caster level, let's use 20 and 25 for caster level so that would give 1080/1350 damage, plus 10 points of heal per caster level so 200/250 hp heal. Although polar ray doesn't need to pass a saving throw, but can be resisted (devour needs a saving throw, but doesn't need to bypass spell resistance)
How do you get that much damage with polar ray? From google I get "cold damage per caster level (maximum 25d6)", so with crit and the rod that gives 450 damage...edit: oh, I forgot sneak attack and getting an higher crit modifier for rays... but for the demon sorcerer I'm not sure if it's worth it.
OP melee touch spell? Sounds like Demon is the choice for a Magus/Sword Saint.

Lamiosa

Educated
and also,
No idea what that means.
It means there's an option to keep your original portrait when you transition to your mythic path. Otherwise it gets changed to the mythic one.

Yeah but does that mean that your character appearance will change completely after a certain point? Damn, I hope demon path doesn't make you look like deskari.

OP melee touch spell? Sounds like Demon is the choice for a Magus/Sword Saint.

Yeah, it actually is stronger than I realized.
Aspect of Brimorak gives up to 4 of damage per die rolled, and Devour gets 3 x CL die. I guess this extra damage can crit too.
Oh and in balor form, you can use buffs on your weapon (balor longsword and whip, can't change), so magus should work pretty well.

Last edited:

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Yeah but does that mean that your character appearance will change completely after a certain point? Damn, I hope demon path doesn't make you look like deskari.
Demon path makes you more similar to the mundane demons, like Balors from what I've read.

There is an option if you have insect envy though
Swarm-that-Walks

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
-Writing is awful. Characters talks like Usa modern teenagers. Dialogues are worse than Diablo 3 or DOS, which says all.

Kingmaker did a good job of avoiding this, so I hope this is all placeholder first draft. Don't Deadfire your game, Owlcat. :negative:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Enemy variety is poor. Only demons and cultists over and over. However, I am confident more variety will be added before release.
"That is actually an interesting thing, Combat variety is nearly the same, but the visual variety is smaller. Currently we are improving it. Our main idea is to add plague creatures to World Wound, which can vary from wolves to centipedes (the list of the creatures is not ready yet though). We are also looking to adhere to the lore, so there will be a logical explanation why they are there.
We are also going to add more Minotaurs - there is a lot of variety in minotaurs and they have awesome visuals.
We are also going to add more Minotaurs
:neveraskedforthis:

hDxvYMC.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
There are 6 books in the Wrath of the Righteous tabletop campaign, is it really just fighting demons and cultists for the entirety of it? I have it in pdf format but I haven't read it to not spoil the video game.

Mazisky

Magister
There are 6 books in the Wrath of the Righteous tabletop campaign, is it really just fighting demons and cultists for the entirety of it? I have it in pdf format but I haven't read it to not spoil the video game.

Yes, the entire TT campaign (from book 1 to 6) is focused on Crusaders fighting aganist a demons invasion and the game seems to mimic that. The alpha I've played have the same events of the first 2 books, so it's safe to guess that the game story will follow the other 4 too.

Desiderius

Patron
Enemy variety is poor. Only demons and cultists over and over. However, I am confident more variety will be added before release.
We are also going to add more Minotaurs - there is a lot of variety in minotaurs and they have awesome visuals.
We are also going to add more Minotaurs
:neveraskedforthis:

hDxvYMC.jpg

There’s already like twelve different flavors of Demons in the Alpha. Once they turn on all the distinctive abilities of each you’ll be begging for less variety. They’re like Krynn Draconians on steroids.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Then I question the choice of adapting this particular campaign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom