Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, and we’ve also been over the fact that you get better spells. Those happen to be rnd/lvl or instantaneous.

I hope they fix it soon, and that people get out of the rut of spamming first level spells and get to enjoy more of the game.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I do not require build advice. He who requires build advice has forgotten the face of his father. I play single class.
I do not play the game like a tank and spank MMO. He who plays the game like a tank and spank MMO has forgotten the face of his father. I recognize party synergy.
I do not suggest game QOL improvements. He who suggests game QOL improvements has forgotten the face of his father. I have a phone.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I always thought it was funny when people would minmax a 7 strength and max dexterity then couldn't figure out why their bonuses sucked.* Still, having to decide whether you wanted to carry a sword or wear a cloak is an interesting strategic choice.
*(It's because their guy could barely hold a weapon before being winded from being overencumbered which tanked all the dex bonuses.)
Funniest relevant shit I've ever read was a retard on steam forums who'd built a sorcerer with 18 strength and 7 charisma and complained that the game was buggy because he couldn't cast spells. When his idiocy was explained to him, he doubled down and kept complaining that it was shitty design to have different stats for different classes, and strength should boost damage for everyone "like in all other major RPGs". PoE really did a number on that poor guy.

Yes, and we’ve also been over the fact that you get better spells. Those happen to be rnd/lvl or instantaneous.

I hope they fix it soon, and that people get out of the rut of spamming first level spells and get to enjoy more of the game.
Come on, man. You don't have to defend every single thing Owlcat did. Dismissible spells are in the core tabletop rules, and I bet the only reason the Russians haven't implemented them is their dreadful spaghetti code.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I always thought it was funny when people would minmax a 7 strength and max dexterity then couldn't figure out why their bonuses sucked.* Still, having to decide whether you wanted to carry a sword or wear a cloak is an interesting strategic choice.
*(It's because their guy could barely hold a weapon before being winded from being overencumbered which tanked all the dex bonuses.)
Funniest relevant shit I've ever read was a retard on steam forums who'd built a sorcerer with 18 strength and 7 charisma and complained that the game was buggy because he couldn't cast spells. When his idiocy was explained to him, he doubled down and kept complaining that it was shitty design to have different stats for different classes, and strength should boost damage for everyone "like in all other major RPGs". PoE really did a number on that poor guy.

I remember that. POE's attribute choices should be some sort of RPG design equivalent of a war crime with suitable penalties like: please never design games again, or at least don't do so and shit talk D&D while you do it. Muscle wizards. Needing to up barbarian int so they have more reach. I just.... :argh::argh::argh::argh:

Desiderius

Patron
Come on, man. You don't have to defend every single thing Owlcat did. Dismissible spells are in the core tabletop rules, and I bet the only reason the Russians haven't implemented them is their dreadful spaghetti code.

I don’t in fact. I just like it when their shitty design decisions end up impeding lazy play so that people get to enjoy the good part of the game as designed.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron

I don’t in fact. I just like it when their shitty design decisions end up impeding lazy play so that people get to enjoy the good part of the game as designed.
I don't really see how wanting to not trip in your own Grease stains after battle ends is lazy play.

Desiderius

Patron
Create Pit is a level 2 spell. There’s people trying to kill Armag with Magic Missiles. Maybe more like overwhelmed than lazy. But necessity is the mother of invention and invention is fun.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
I am well aware that Pit is strictly superior to Grease. But there are two character levels where Grease is the superior option, and even after getting Pit you still need something on those L1 slots. I don't care if not having dismissible spells encourages people to learn to play right, I don't care enough about how other people play the game to want to sacrifice my own personal convenience for them. Trying to educate those willing to learn in a forum is more than enough already.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Okay Hard is getting riddiculous. I'll probably stick with COre + Additional ENemy Behaviour in any future playthorugh.

In the final Ch 2 dungeon there is optional encounter with some guy doing a suicide ritual, there are 8 of them. After they kill themselves, each succesful sacrifice will add 1 AC and AB to the upcoming boss.

The boss in question? 16 BAB, 34 DEX, prebuffed with Haste, Magical Vesment, whole bunch of other shit. Has something like 5 attacks per turn on bottom-line 30+ Attack Bonus. The sacrifice ritual is done on the first round by the cultist meaning you got probably 6 seconds to try to kill them. Oh of course there is a Phatasmal Web trap near the enterance which is only visible after the battle started because of course there is. Otherwise welcome up to +8 to AB and AC (including touch iirc) above all fucking that. You can't alpha strike the boss until all the sacrifice is dead btw because she started as friendly because fuck you that's why.

I don't even know how the fuck to kill it without specifically resting and prepare spells specifically for it. Heck if you bring the wrong party member it would probably unwinnable on Hard (and this is like 4 hours into the dungeon and you can't change party member so unless you want to restart you are fucked in that case).

For the first time I want to have a big AOE DC caster because fuck trying to hit 30 touch AC on hyperbuffed boss. DC half damage is probably better. Thank god the boss is a cultist without SR, ended up using Magic Missile and monk's True Strike as the primary damage source. The other guy just uses spam monster + animate dead because the boss cut your 45 AC + Displacement like a hot knife through butter. She can murder all your frontline in less than 30 seconds probably without summon padding.

This is also the first time where stealth doesn't feel fucking useless in Pathfinder games (KM and WotR) besides for dialogue skill checks. The encounter would probably much much easier if you have invisibility on your party so you can come near the cultist without triggering combat + casting big AoE spells to disable them and give more time for you to actually kill the sacrifice.

EDIT: didn't remember how but the fucking boss has like 60++ CMD. I was confused why the fuck my True Strike Leg Sweep is not working and was like 60++ CMD what the fuck

Last edited:

That's a weak argument full of fallacy and you know it. Shame on you for making it.

rojay

Scholar

That's a weak argument full of fallacy and you know it. Shame on you for making it.
He's been trolling you all for a solid few days now. It's actually pretty funny.

Desiderius

Patron
Okay Hard is getting riddiculous. I'll probably stick with COre + Additional ENemy Behaviour in any future playthorugh.

In the final Ch 2 dungeon there is optional encounter with some guy doing a suicide ritual, there are 8 of them. After they kill themselves, each succesful sacrifice will add 1 AC and AB to the upcoming boss.

I think you're supposed to kill the Cultists before they summon him?

I let them summon him and killed him on Alpha. I'll try again when I get there.

Desiderius

Patron
He's been trolling you all for a solid few days now. It's actually pretty funny.

Sometimes reality trolls people. Savescumming and getting stuck on a favorite spell both preclude enjoying the full scope (or in many cases even 10%) of the game. Anything that makes those approaches harder gets you closer to the good stuff.

I'm sure they'll eventually "fix" the long cutscenes and persistent persistent effects but the net enjoyment of the game will go down unless people find other ways out of the ruts they get trapped in. In any case Xam is right and I shld probably use Grease more with Nenio.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Hit my first crash bug on the latest restart... the defense of the defender's heart (or whatever it's called) started a lot earlier this time around for some reason (before I even made it to the tower to hear their assault plans), and as soon as I selected my party, I crashed out. Sent the bug off to Owlcat and am excited to see what they break while fixing it.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I remember that. POE's attribute choices should be some sort of RPG design equivalent of a war crime with suitable penalties like: please never design games again, or at least don't do so and shit talk D&D while you do it. Muscle wizards. Needing to up barbarian int so they have more reach. I just.... :argh::argh::argh::argh:
Muscle wizards are incline. I'm sorry your favorite mages feel threatened and emasculated.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Dismissible spells are in the core tabletop rules
Are they dismissable just by the will of the caster, or does it reqiure something else? Like, a feat, a metamagic, a material component?

dismissiable by will, no need for feat, but not all spell are dismissable

if you look at the rule book anything with Duration: x/caster level, (D) means they are dismissable (that D is dismisaable)

Grease and Web for example are dismissable at will. Create Pit is not dismissable

mediocrepoet

Patron
Dismissible spells are in the core tabletop rules
Are they dismissable just by the will of the caster, or does it reqiure something else? Like, a feat, a metamagic, a material component?

You can end a spell early if it's marked as Dismissible
(D) Dismissible
If the duration line ends with “(D),” you can dismiss the spell at will. You must be within range of the spell's effect and must speak words of dismissal, which are usually a modified form of the spell's verbal component. If the spell has no verbal component, you can dismiss the effect with a gesture. Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
A spell that depends on concentration is dismissible by its very nature, and dismissing it does not take an action, since all you have to do to end the spell is to stop concentrating on your turn.

From: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/quest... a spell is a,stop concentrating on your turn.

You can see the same answer on the PFSRD, but this has it right up top without having to scroll through things.

Desiderius

Patron
ended up using Magic Missile

This is bad spell. No use. Even with meta and Force. Is spellbook just too big?

There's another spell called See Invis, Communal for seeing Traps before combat. Good with Stealth. Glad hard content is making better players.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Not really that hard, just as like you said you need to stop cultists sacrificing themselves. 2 well placed AoEs and some sneaky party members works wonders there. I used invis potions and spells for my casters to get in position.

Desiderius

Patron
So off to save the Sprigganknight:

Ember Reg.jpg

Ember knows what's up. Pretty much always applicable. Nine year old my foot.

Garg Loot.jpg

Nice starter weapon for HapSaints on way to cave

Touch Attack Miss.jpg

See last line for why I'm not always a Grease fan. This fight is just a total free for all slugfest.

Lann Manyshot Carnage.jpg

Lann turned this fight into his own personal shooting gallery, with help from the boss. That's the first Azata ability. I like it. Bypass is good vs Demons, but here it's just damage since Gargs aren't Demons. Only need Magic to bypass their DR (Seelah's Smilo doesn't have that yet and found out this Mythic ability doesn't give it too him either although it works vs Demons).

Fortune Crit.jpg

Ember's Fortune Hex lets him reroll all his attax for a round and take the better one. Next level it will last two rounds. Eventually with Cackle will last indefinitely.

Another Ounce.jpg

Of course Lann has that ability himself. And yes the two stack (you'll see that vs Swarm Queen). Best Defense is a good offense part one. Notice that the boss is the only Garg with no Spell Resistance.

Ounce of Prevention.jpg

And two. Biggest threat in this fight is Garg casters lighting you up so take them down first.

Nenio Rainbow.jpg

Or let Nenio Fascinate them. Rainbow Pattern is enemy only Sweetness. Sacrificing some Footmen to pick up Magician's Ring (+2 Illusion DC) paying off.

Alchemist Danger.jpg

Notice Alchemist MC getting himself in trouble trying to target backlines. Bomber's Eye first level spell is good way to prevent this since it gives you extra range.

Seelah Defense.jpg

Not the most D in the world but enough with the debuffs. I remembered this fight being tough but next time will need to kick up to Hard from Core.

Holy Reg.jpg

Back at camp blowing the money we were saving up for Salamander making sure Reg doesn't flat out suck. Demon DR is a big issue for Hellnights since their damage is Lawful but Demon's have DR/Good not DR/Lawful. They added a Mythic that let's you get around it but who want to blow a Mythic when you can have this nice weapon?

Swarm picks coming tomorrow.

Desiderius

Patron

Not really that hard, just as like you said you need to stop cultists sacrificing themselves. 2 well placed AoEs and some sneaky party members works wonders there. I used invis potions and spells for my casters to get in position.

Well like he said would need to know what's coming to prep that. Wasn't there like a Head Priest of something you can kill to prevent the summoning altogether?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
ended up using Magic Missile

This is bad spell. No use. Even with meta and Force. Is spellbook just too big?

There's another spell called See Invis, Communal for seeing Traps before combat. Good with Stealth. Glad hard content is making better players.

I don't have Stealth except for Lann who has no Trickery nor Invisibility spells because it was rarely useful (and sold all the potion and scrolls) like almost all the time before this. The only guy with both Stealth and Trickery as class skills in companions is Wolfjit I think? And he left the party. Going to disarm the trap without Stealth/Invisibility will trigger combat and cultist starting to sacrifice themselves.

Magic Missile might be a bad spell normally but when you can't even hit enemy touch AC then I will take whatever I have. I mean if it works it works. Alternatively, I can use DC AoE caster to damage her, but with 34 AGI any Reflex save one will always do half damage and I think the enemy also has a bullshit level of Will save too. Magic Missile with that dagger that +2 to force damage ended up being the highest spell damage I have. Well there is Mystic Rod or something that allows Oracle/Cleric to empower their spells but I have Daeran busy casting summon monster/animate dead because the enemy kills my character with the highest AC in 15 seconds without even critting her (Saelah has 41 AC (+ 2 from fighting Defensively), Displacement, Stone Skin, you can't smite her because the boss is CN of all alignment).

How the battle goes heavily depends on party members as well. The only character that I build as Ray Caster is Ember (well the game giving her Precise Shot will do that). If I bring Ember this battle would be much easier. Probably should've specced Nenio as one (and I do bring her) but as currently is her spell selection is more of party buffing and crowd control (which helps initially killing the cultist, I think I can kill 4 or 5). I bring Daeran and I do have hiim take AoE DC blast spells, but as I said, he is relegated to summon duty because nobody can withstand the boss longer than 15 seconds. Sosiel also have some offensive spells but he is busy with Dispel + Summon as well.

Honestly there are a lot of strategy that you can probably do, but this fight is locked behind 4 hours point of no return where you can't change your party. Unless you want to restart that 4 hours you need to work with what you have. I don't think the battle is nearly this hard on Core at Alpha. The cultist was probably easier to kill too.

Myabe I am just a scrub, but eh.

Yeah I guess but I don't even have them in my spellbooks. I am not sure how can you kill them in 2 AoE, the cultist has nearly what 100 health in Hard? And they cover a decently large area as well that you can only reach like maybe 4 with AoE spells? I do end up using Pit and Grease to prevent them from sacrificing and let me disarm trap + get melee in position but 3 of them ended up still casting their sacirifice.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom