Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This view here is the only time you can tell if someone is hurt (Channeling doesn't heal them) so if anybody gets under half I send Ember in with a Cure Crit or Seelah to lay on hands right after the fight.
If you have Owlcat's ear, nag them about this. Channel should heal them, for the same reason you need Selective Channeling for it to stop healing your enemies.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
If I had Owlcat’s ear I wouldn’t have been bitching about how nonresponsive they are for three years.

Holic chews your ass within an hour and Owlcat may or may not fix something 15 months later because someone on a stream says something.

Desiderius

Patron
lol shield focus :M

Yeah you don’t choose it but if you have it don’t waste it. If you’re getting hit on a one or a two it cuts damage taken in half (or more with crit confirms).

Main factor is whether you have access to shared infusions or not.

Alrik

Educated
Does this game actually simulate dice or does it use a flat probability curve for every range?

I feel I've noticed extreme outcomes for supposed multi-dice rolls far too often.

Shadenuat

Arcane
isnt the scroll savant a pretty solid mage?
Only on paper.
get it. paper
I mean define solid, like at what difficulty? Generally you're just losing feats that can actually make your spells effective. And you're not even anything special before levels 5-10. By that point any use you could have gotten out of it has ended.
you're still obviously a wizord and can't be inneffective, but you can pick better wizords or sorcerers or new Witch.

Have the summoning mechanics improved at all?.
no, I especially find it funny that they didn't at least make summons something like 3 rounds+1 round/level. you could say it's "as pnp" but "as pnp" also means controlling summons and you need a bag and a candle :shittydog:
with new feats they can occasionally nibble someone to death in masse but still best used as flanking fodder or tanking say cold damage.
but you can now level up and name pets :shittydog: and you can have so many spell slots might almost put them on autocast lol.

There’s a better one at Houndhearts Camp.
My notValerie is a Bard this playthrough. Now put difficulty on the proper rightmost one and go kill Balor already granpa.

Does this game actually simulate dice or does it use a flat probability curve for every range?
It's "random", there are no softeners. Can roll 1 three times etc.

Last edited:

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm not sure how to solve Nenio's quest. I have heard that the quest can't be completed yet... but i have also heard you need to gather masks of some kind. I never got far enough to complete it so I can't be sure whats true or not.

Desiderius

Patron
What are you talking about Summons are flat busted you could already choose which one you wanted from three choices why do you need three extra rounds by level five they last combat and Wrath even has a Mythic to buff them more.

Git gud, Jesus.

Let me know when you kill Balor hot shot.

Savant first level ability lets you use non-wiz scrolls at all, fifth level ability lets you use non-wiz offensive/situational scrolls plus all the shitty wiz scrolls you find laying around or craft, then tenth level lets you use all scrolls including high level/non-wiz buffs.

Shad's right you really miss the caster feats that would let you be more useful earlier but you're also more flexible and more useful late but that can be win more. I've been slumming on Core but on Hard would probably need to make better use of scrolls.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Am I the only autist that doesn't use Animate Dead with Good aligned clerics? I also don't use it with Harrim because it goes against Groteus.

Codex is going down the toilet. There was a time this would have been labeled larping with a frown, now it’s brofists and monocles

To quote a Codex legend:

There is only the computer and me, and neither of us cares.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
What are you talking about Summons are flat busted
Nah, all they do is just clutter the screen and path between your buffed party and enemies you slay :shittydog:

Let me know when you kill Balor hot shot.
I already finished beta on highest difficulty, and am now on 2d playthrough. And I definitely wouldn't put that single boss as most difficult encounter, considering how much you are prepared.

Savant first level ability
Just use nonwiz scrolls with nonwiz.
By level 10 your buffing setup is fully complete and you don't need any scrolls.
Early you really just want a few protection from elements but it's not like you need savant (or crafting), just 750gp.
Also for now I don't feel this game showers you as much with scrolls as PKM, I remember there something like 15 fireball and haste scrolls just lying around in inventory.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
So the Balor then.
Lann on Balor.jpg

Balor Dispelled his own True Seeing so thought hey let's put Greater Invis on Lann but some of those effects aren't kicking in for a round (should have Concealment bonus) but bringing his own dice to the game continues to pay off and the kachunking continues.

Galfrey Fortunate Crit.jpg

Galfrey joins in this fight and got two crits in a round thanks to Ember's do-it-all Hex. Rerolls are good people.

Not easy to break the big guy's concentration but Galfrey got 'er done. That was the plan to keep that big Firestorm at bay, with a back up of a quickened Resist Fire, Communal which you can see Sosiel casting here.

Bad Storm.jpg

He got it off but evidently Ember was too far away to be affected. Ember indeed. Now Sosiel had a Breath of Life scroll prepared for just such a situation but before it resolved the cutscene kicked in and after it was over...

BreathCutsceneBug.jpg

Which is some kind of bullshit. Reloaded with Death's Door just in case. Anyway Gheybore runs in and tries to kill Demon who escepes. Pretty sure killing Balor not possible, unclear whether Firestorm triggers cutscene or some level of damage. All subject to change of course.

Notwithstanding best area design I think I've ever played. Just spectacular. About to get better.

Corruption.jpg

Also tried to bring her back via rest cheese and not only did that not work but got first corruption of game. This is what it looks like. No thank you. On reload skipped the rest and headed in. You have option to loot whole area automatically at door (to fortress) then take it all to vendor. Probably a good idea to reduce load times.

Whispers I.jpg

This is the first thing that hits you as you step inside. If you mouse over that Daze icon it tells you that it hits every hour until you find out some way to turn it off. Creates a suitably claustrophobic tension/motivation/urgency to get in there and find the source.

First Dungeon encounter.jpg

First encounter makes nice use of 3D as archers below will light you up as you're fighting through those tough Votaries except unlike Shad I know how to Summon and I also have the world's greatest flamer on my team to turn all the (humanoid) enemies gay as a Swift Action. In other news Lann is still a mass shooter.

Yaniel Wall.jpg

What do you know, the much ballyhooed Yaniel just hanging out here in the fortress for seventy years. Wonder what's behind that wall. usually if you fail an Athletics check four hours or something passes and you lose your buffs but most of mine are already gone and I'm not resting until I can turn off those damn Whispers anyway so YOLO.

Yaniel Loot.jpg

And the Good Touch king comes thru again. Yet another pretty sweet weapon for someone (almost certainly a dual wielding Monk) using that particular weapon and useless for everyone else. Need the cash so cool cool.

Imprisoned.jpg

Just random wandering mobs tossing around 22 DC Icy Prisons on Core. Naice.

Whsipers II.jpg

Luckily for me I knew where to find the room to turn off the Whispers, now with added sanctification to turn down corruption so we can rest. It's not hard but also easy to get lost. Also you'd better bring some skillz with you or you're hosed. As usual when everything is on the line Ember brought her own set of dice and made sure the RNG wasn't unduly R.

Now to find a place to rest...

Patrol.jpg

Wandering monsters not messing around.

Charging Back lines.jpg
Wandering right on up on poor defenseless Nenio! What is this effrontery!

TBC

Desiderius

Patron
Yeah, yeah I did it twice on Hard during Alpha. I'm self conscious without Bard and Freebooter and anyway want to make the PnPers feel at home.

Did you actually kill the Balor? Seriously he has highest numbers on Hard by a good bit but I don't think killing's on the menu in any case.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Oh right, breath of life is bugged and I think you can evade balor dispel easily by just standing behind; but for me the door then bugged and half party got forever stuck.

What got me later is balors exploding with Unholy damage.

Did you actually kill the Balor? Seriously he has highest numbers on Hard by a good bit but I don't think killing's on the menu in any case.
Nah.

I tried on a few bosses to lower difficulty and see if you can actually kill them too.
in particular I also wanted to see if enemy boss can kill NPCs and you can loot them :shittydog:..it doesn't work.

And this design honestly is kinda even worse than JRPGs: there if you "kill" "unkillable" bosses you at least get unique dialogue or achivo.

and then they repeat it with
Baphomet
and it seriously gets old :prosper:

want to make the PnPers feel at home
won't happen, especially due to what enemies they throw at you at your level and various "gotcha" moments.

I can say that I whole game felt underleveled 1 level until suddenly didn't. It is almost as they tried to stretch the gold 1-12 level adventure as much as possible before Ch 4. :philosoraptor:

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Little did the Minotaur suspect that he'd stepped up to an Illusionist. He soon regretted his mistake.
Invis Defense.jpg

Somebody was talking about shitty Wizards abilities. Better not be talking about Illusionist.

Cooking!.jpg

So we put up camp in an innocuous room off the previous halfway that had a tough Trickery check to get into (feels like Dave's Challenge) and discover that cooking is back! Missing the ingredient for the thing we want but now we know what to buy. Pretty high DC to weaken corruption too. This is a game for the skilled.

Secret Wall.jpg

So head down the stairs by the Whisper room and get lazy so just put up long buffs. This wall isn't really meant to be found.

Spawn Dominating.jpg

But of course we do. Those guys are casting Domination. Oops!

Undead Arise.jpg

Freedom's Child is second Azata ability that we just picked up at Chapel. Those are not the kind of DCs you want to be facing when the spell in question is Domination. So Sosiel calls for help to those who cannot be Dominated. Quick Maximized Dead to the rescue.

Wait a minute, that last one wasn't coming from Theruk's Spawn, it was coming from Theruk himself....

Oops.jpg

Tender Touch lol. This all has NOT gone according to plan.

Perfect Finish .jpg

Terminator X, cleanup on aisle 5

Yeah, don't attack the pet next time, he has infinite AC. Hold on, where's my EXP?

Suspicious Smell.jpg

What could that smell be? Another fat Athletics check. This time we've got some buffs ready to get him in there no sweat. Buffs he should have already had up.

Vampire Coffin.jpg

This whole area is just so awesome. If you rush in there to put the stake in there's a trap that will own your ass. But we've got two different toons with high Perception and Find Traps so we caught it in time. Barely. I still messed something up since there's usually a cool weapon (Rapier I think) but missed it this time.

Lucky than Good.jpg

This is kind of hilarious. There's a really tough fight that those Babau are running back too (they got feared by Sosiel's Glaive) where several Demons teleport into the middle of a battle including two Dispellers and a level draining Nabasu. One of the Dispellers here gets confused and starts dispelling buffs from Joran Vhane who we haven't met yet. Thanks for the help, pal.

So Good it's Sick.jpg

So this might be my favorite encounter of all time. I've cast a good many Eaglesouls on Tristian and my original Hospitaler MC because it has useful bonuses that are all Sacred so they stack with everything. What I could never figure out was that last paragraph, since the Sicken condition cancels out most of the effect of the spell (so Harrim for instance never cast it).

This whole encounter seems (brilliantly) designed around a creating a scenario where that would come into play. By all indications he's totally Lawful Good, he created the original Radiance Sword for instance, and gives you an upgraded version here if you're careful with the dialogue. But his brother is in trouble so he feels compelled to attack whoever's coming after him, even if they're on the ultimate mission of good and pledge to try to help his brother (he knows his brother won't allow that, he's too far gone). This changes his alignment on the spot, he casts his trusty Eaglesoul and the realization of what he's done makes him sick.

Just classic.

Desiderius

Patron
Well I just hope Gregz sees it. Zen Archer is his favorite class and this is just basically Lann autoleveled.

Even Gregz couldn't fuck that up.

Desiderius

Patron
So onto the fight that was giving ind_imagine nightmares.
Trap before Conjuration.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I would have searched but may not have had the skillz to get it disarmed without triggering the fight. I think originally you could just gank the main summoner? Not in the Beta, she's "friendly" until you kill her buds or the summonee shows up.

Phantasmal Web vs Conjurors.jpg

Still learning about this whole Illusionist thing but I know Hap likes this spell. Still not sure exactly what it does. Do know that the RNG really hates it! And two Critical Misses to boot! Sos lands that and everyone runs for the exits.

Anyway pretty cool that the Web hit them all.

Tough Boss.jpg

Toughest foe yet I think. First one in a while not immune to Poison so Ember jumps the gun on Spit Venom (no Save Blind) and gets owned while Sos gets mauled.

ToughBoss II.jpg

Immune to Shaken is interesting, turns off Lann's Shatter Defenses.

Getting Owned.jpg

Sos goes down but Seelah is a harder target. Lann and MC have yet to get an attack off (this is where Stagger from Holy Bomb is so good but with 24 Touch AC no guarantee of a hit).

Transmuter Loot.jpg

As usual the Lannster Stone Cold Money. Another absolutely spectacular encounter design.

Level 10. Clever loot. Want it on someone who can use AC so goes to Sosiel for now.

Pal10Spells.jpg

Now that Seelah has Archon's could cut the Cleric but Sosiel has three higher DC and longer duration. Now they can both keep it up to get two bites at the apple. Holy Whisper is another narrow Evocation (Archon's is also Evocation) spell that gets good in this setting. If you wanted to build your Paladin caster now is the time. Abundant Spells also helps immensely.

Lann10.jpg

Rerolls + doubled crit range = even bigger world of hurt incoming.

Deceitful.jpg

Deceitful kicks in. I've got the Bookworm Headband on which is depressing Persuasion but hoping to get it up to a level to take full advantage of MC only Diplo stuff. Also want no worries Trickery and getting close.

Force Bombs will be clutch against big dummies with high Fortitude (the save on Holy Bombs) but weak Reflex just like they were against Zombie Giants and Trolls in P:K. No messing around with Tanglefoot since there's so much Fire Resistance. Tempted by Fast Bombs but need to be able to diversify Saves attacked with my high DCs.

Scroll Mastery.jpg

Scroll Savant reaches full fruition. Time to stop being lazy and clear out this inventory.

Beast's Gift.jpg
Ember took Misfortune but does anyone know whether the claws on Beast's Gift are extra attax or replacement?

Desiderius

Patron
Seriously, what's wrong with it? I use it constantly. Only annoying thing was losing track of which way you were going and with compass that's no longer a thing. Loved the mod in P:K.

Codex Year of the Donut
take two steps
have to do a complete 360 of the camera to look for things
take two steps
have to do a complete 360 of the camera to look for things

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom