Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dodo1610

Arcane
Prerendered-cutscenes like that have gone out of style because these days it's usually cheaper and better to just do it in-game. Also they always those were always outsourced so they definitely weren't cheap. Hard to say how much producing something like this would cost these days.

Shadenuat

Arcane
oh dont tempt me about prerendered. oh what could this game be with simplier grafix, prerendered, higher angle camera, and no aoo Sensuki approved movement. :shitposting: and spell deflection, lower resistance, breach spells... :M

oh Daeran, dear count, hold my witch in you strength 7 noodle arms as she cries for all pnp abilities she didn't get

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Isn't it better to play PnP at the table and not expect it from a computer game?

Most of the tabletop GMs are not Gygaxes (especially when Gygax himself is dead), so they rely on the rule books. In Owlcat Games we have Mishulin, Krymov, probably even MCA and other brilliant writers and designers. For them rulebooks are just inspiration and marketing shtick; they are way smarter than any Western pizza munching GM. Enjoy what they offer; most probably you will not be able to play with them at the table, so appreciate the game they created for you.

Shadenuat

Arcane
ешь что дают :shittydog:

classes don't have things that actually supposed to make them fun or competetive to other classes? mishulin gargoyles!

cutscenes cheaper and better to just do it in-game
also why even make em cutscenes.

in tower chapter 1 after you kill some guys you see irabet fighting monsters. but why make this separate cutscene? you can't interact with them in any way, you're on another floor.

there is a trap and a cutscene where tieflung disarms it for you. there was exactly same similar scenes in BG2 bodhi lair, but thieves there would just walk and disarm traps for you - no cutscenes.

there were dialogues on NPC and NPC in Half Life and Deus Ex. but they were done in a manner that did not require a cutscene and player couldn't affect them.

there are enemies who want to say something owlcat thinks is funny before combat, sometime just 1-2 sentences. it's a cutscene. they could do it just with barks in combat like in Fallout, certainly.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
oh dont tempt me about prerendered. oh what could this game be with simplier grafix, prerendered, higher angle camera, and no aoo Sensuki approved movement. :shitposting: and spell deflection, lower resistance, breach spells... :M

oh Daeran, dear count, hold my witch in you strength 7 noodle arms as she cries for all pnp abilities she didn't get

She got enough. There are also several big foes with no SR at all.

This game looks far more involved and content dense. With PFKM most of the threats were pretty low, just high volume and spread far and wide. This looks like each map is a fairly meticulous dungeon with some real threats roaming around. I look forward to playing this when it's in its final form sometime next year.

Testownia

Em... boys, someone datamined this pearl.

Li Lura reaches for the teleportation amulet but your locusts consume her fingers first. The warrior woman barely has the time to gasp:{/n} \"A tactical... mistake...\" {n}She doesn't manage to say anything else — and soon she has nothing to talk with.

Shadenuat

Arcane
"Power of Law gives character special mode that increases saves ac and caster level"

neat
(puts on hotbar)

"Power of law acts as greater dispel 30 feet against Illusions"

:philosoraptor:

:kingcomrade:

Testownia

This game, and any future ones, desperately need to expand the Skill system. Right now it's far too easy to be a total skill monkey. I don't I ever had to actually think who to take into the party according to their Skills.

Testownia

1612739310137.jpg
In case anyone believed Lilura is a woman.

EDIT: What the fuck is wrong with Brave and posting images here? Give me a moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadenuat

Arcane
hey I not sure if it's man or woman but that rulebook is hot.

as for skills, more integrated skill systems are best used in problem solving RPGs, like Fallout or Deus Ex. And for combatfag D&D game, for problem solving it would be best to use spells.

The real boss battles of this game are the damn carnivorous crystals. Making a save against subsonic hum is supposed to make you immune to it for 24 hours, but yeah that doesn't work. So have fun with the high DC aoe stun aura every round.

:negative:
Thought you could skip on saving throws for your party like in PKM? no Chaotic Commands for you and I believe that break shackles mythic is also broken. It is Shake It Off meta baby :positive:and there is even mythic to upgrade standard save feat to a re-roll.

Crystals wouldn't be your worst problem later, trust me.
although there will be many more of them

Also how does it feel to know Lich gets not one, not two, but four (pet and 3 companions) characters who are completely immune to this and everything else? :shittydog:

Last edited:
Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
hey I not sure if it's man or woman but that rulebook is hot.

as for skills, more integrated skill systems are best used in problem solving RPGs, like Fallout or Deus Ex. And for combatfag D&D game, for problem solving it would be best to use spells.
:obviously:

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Crystals wouldn't be your worst problem later, trust me.
although there will be many more of them
I finished the beta actually, and they were absolutely my worst problem.

Specifically, those ancient crystals in the cave where you get the nahandwhatever crystal

Most everything else in the abyss was ezpz

Also how does it feel to know Lich gets not one, not two, but four (pet and 3 companions) characters who are completely immune to this and everything else?
Feels good, because I'm planning lich run as my first for the full game :smug:

Desiderius

Patron
Looking forward to taking Regill for a spin so leveling him up today and get this:

Empty level.jpg

Desiderius

Patron
So we've got two companions whose classes they didn't feel like doing yet, not one but two literal flesheating cannibals who are even bigger cunts than that fact would suggest, two AIDS superspreaders, an affirmative action hire, a serial killer, and three little girls.

Have I missed anyone?

Oh yeah your own personal Onlyfans chick.

So, who wants to talk mercs?

Codex Year of the Donut
companions divulge way too much info about themselves way too fast
every map has their own parallel of the swamp owlbears in kingmaker, except multiple of them
companions are -- both from a writing and technical standpoint -- not good.
Writing: I haven't gotten all of them yet, but there's so much overlap in their personalities. None of the ones I've encountered have been particularly interesting or well written.
Mechanics: If you aren't evil, you're probably going to want to play a melee class.
  • Maybe it's because I have no idea how to play or build a shaman, but Camellia kinda sucks. Seems like a class that doesn't get good until higher levels.
  • Seelah is... alright? But her con sucks. You're pretty much stuck with her if you aren't melee though.
I know someone is going to reply with "AKSHUALLY, if you do my x/x/x/x/x/x multiclass build that goes completely against their character/writing, that companion is great!" yeah, I don't give a shit, they shouldn't need to be built like that.
No idea why it's so hard for games to just include regular, core-party classes(like non-snowflake clerics or fighters) with decent stats and companions that aren't mental patients who need emotional support dogs. For the former, this is an area most cRPGs could learn from deadfire(first time that string of words has been typed in human history) by being able to select their class from a few thematically-fitting ones when they join your party.

TBH I have flat out zero interest in even recruiting a lot of the companions and only did so for experimentation purposes. Their characters immediately came off as someone I simply didn't want in my party because they weren't trustworthy in the least.

meh. Not really seeing it, kingmaker grabbed me quickly and I enjoyed it a lot. WotR is.. meh.

Desiderius

Patron
No I'm going to go I've been completely blowing out the game on Core by straight single-classing.

Pretty much everything in your list isn't even wrong. Have you been theorycrafting with Yosh again?

Codex Year of the Donut
No I'm going to go I've been completely blowing out the game on Core by straight single-classing.

Pretty much everything in your list isn't even wrong. Have you been theorycrafting with Yosh again?
That's my takeaway from playing on core rules. Can't count how many times Seelah has died in a enemy turn from full health due to her pitifully low HP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom