Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
My Seelah has gotten hit less than ten times total. Get passably competent.

Use your Veils and Smite defensively. Also Protective Luck if she's drawing heat.

Also she gets a Smilodon.

Desiderius

Patron
Scoreboard is all over the last ten pages. Where's the lie?
Seelah Defense.jpg

Paladin Power.jpg

Seelah8tank.jpg

Nulk Hold, Mass.jpg

Getting Owned.jpg
Seriously man if your Seelah is getting burned down in one turn you've got way bigger problems than a couple points of Constitution. That you think that could possibly be the issue means you're missing 2/3rds of the game.

Desiderius

Patron
Gheybor’s build is fixed. STR-based Dual Wield Slaya. Some quirky choices which are the good kind, but nothing straight up useless anymore.

Desiderius

Patron
Ch 3 feeling very comfy at the beginning. Gheybor’s price 90% off, a lot of things much better fleshed out than alpha.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The only companioth with hard, questionable mechanical choice is probably Wenduag with Level 1 Ranged Fighter. Even then she is more blank state than anything, after that Level 1 Fighter you can spec her into any ranged build and she would fit in due to having Precise Shot at Level 1. The only other obvious problem is that the companions mechanically do not have natural Skill Monkey except Arue which joins early Chapter 3 so it can take some thought on who to bring to cover for the skills. And I guess no Bards makes lives harder.

Seelah is OK ish Paladin, works as a tank. Got Full Animal Companion at 5 which works as another tank and damage source. Smite works for like 90% of enemies you found in the game making her a very good tank and damage source as she can offset fighting defensively etc from Smite Evil.

Cam can pretty much tank as good as Seelah, altho more item-dependent for Dex to AC bonus (that you get as early as early Chapter 1). No bullshit build xxxyyyzz, just pure class shaman.

Zen Archer is great. The only questionable feat selection for Lann is Combat Reflex, it is painfully obvious that the devs want people to make him use Snap Shot. Free attack rerolls? Check. True Strike to alpha striking enemy before combat start or when you are faced with bullshit AC enemies? Check. Free ranged feats? Check as well. Certainly not an Ekundayo but is still great backline.

Ember is OK as well. Her spell selection might be limitted compared to say, a sorc (comparing to other spontaneous arcane caster), but she makes up for it with Hex. Got some very good items in Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 to fleshen up build as well.

In a game with Good Offense is the best defense, I guess Daeran can seems meh but he is a pretty strong healbot if you need one. His curse give him nearly all the important healing spells so you can just take other important support and offensive spells when levelling. Besides the 1 level late spell progression he also works more than fine.

etc2, not going to give a writeup of every single companion right now.

I am playing on Hard. The only companion I multiclass are Greybor and Wenduag. If anything taking dip this dip that is actively harmfull as most companions joins Level 3 and above and a lot of them are casters. Maybe instead of boxing yourself into hurrdurr I want Fihgter Cleric Rogue 4 man party like muh classic Larian approved game you should see what the companion classes are, see their class feature which are open to see, and adjust the party comp accodingly.

Desiderius

Patron
Lann’s no Ekun, he’s better.

True Strike is slow trap. Use Perfect and Extra Attack with Ranging. Just make sure Flurry isn’t bugged out by re-equipping. Easiest Snap shot is probably Door (Abundant Step) next to enemy caster/archer. True Strike will probably be good with Urban Hunter.

Only Spell Ember is missing is Barkskin, but that might be too good.

Daeran (even Seelah?) will eventually be Holy Nuker I think, but when Battle Mystery gets fixed he can be a force in combat too.

If MC is Intimidate Bard Seelah can Freeboot I think. Probably also a Skald build in there somewhere but SmiloPal* is probably easy mode since everything is Evil. There is a Paladin subclass with Bard Songs tho.

I don't like Cam much but she gets Keen Weapon Enhancement and Rapier so pre-built Critfisher. Use with Fortune Hex for boss fights and really go off.

* - might make sense to let some other class handle the pet since she gets no pet abilities and just either mount up or take Weapon Bond which is awesome itself

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Well, 4 lvl Earth Elementals hit 2nd level Seelah quite hard on Core and one-shot Camellia on crits. And the 7th level Monitor Lizard, too.

Though, they do not seem to hit Camellia otherwise. And Smite Evil does not work on Neutrals.

Probably Slumber is the wrong first hex for Camellia. However, I am seeing as Camellia is characterized as "beast tank" on Owlcat forums, but she is not for me. What am I missing?

Also, I would have preferred a caster or a bard as the starting class instead of the pregenerated Paladin, but it's OK.

Efe

Erudite
most people that use her as tank get iceplant first..
you should be lv3 for elementals, maybe take a detour?

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
So what's the Kodex Konsensus on Mythic Paths?
At the first glance some of Lich abilities seem insane. Demon on the other hand... eh... elastic but boring?

Desiderius

Patron
most people that use her as tank get iceplant first..
you should be lv3 for elementals, maybe take a detour?

Natural Armor straight up (without wildshaping) is a very rare ability, then you can blow another 8k on a ring to give it another +2 that no one else can really get, which brings her up to maybe Harrim levels of tankiness since she has no Armor Training to get her full DEX bonus with her Medium Armor proficiency. She’s also your only Barkskin source and that ticks up to +3 at level six.

Most she can get from her Buckler before Drezen is +2. I used her for Hampering Hex but may be better to get the Dazzling Hex so she can get to Shatter on time.

Desiderius

Patron
Elementals and Lizard are like Swarms and Ratnook - lessons in difficulty management/weaning you off the breadcrumbs. No meaningful rewards for fighting them.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron

Shadenuat

Arcane
If you aren't evil, you're probably going to want to play a melee class
Yes, early game - mainly tutorial, really, for Good non-fighters is unbalanced - you are somewhat forced to flank with Camelia, and ranged weapons will not compare to a proper melee setup with flanking and AOOs for a while. When some random chargers would rush through my melee party, they would just explode before I even realise they were supposed to be a threat. And Wenduag, while weak and dies to 1 charge, if gets initiative, can hurt your caster in tutorial boss fight too. After you get Woljif, things become easier.

An easy way to quickly go through tutorial is to give someone a pet on Level 2. That fixes your tank&flank issues. More or less any companion is viable for this: Seelah can get her bonus to saves later, Lann can serve as monk dip for WIS casters/petomancers, and Camelia 1 level gives Ghost touch weapon which is useful through the game.

could learn from deadfire(first time that string of words has been typed in human history) by being able to select their class from a few thematically-fitting ones when they join your party
Yeah it's one of the sawyercompromises that doesn't hurt. However, I am for hell sure I've seen it somewhere before Deadfire. In fact I am eerily sure Neverwinter Nights allowed you this somewhere, or maybe in some popular mods.

Do note tho, it is a problem which rises from extremely companion heavy focus of RPGs and how skewed quest content towards them is.

I am seeing as Camellia is characterized as "beast tank" on Owlcat forums, but she is not for me. What am I missing?
idk, Shaman doesn't get any polymorph spells before circle 8 (mass bear transformation); also, Camelia picked a domain that gives 3 enlarge spells (enlarge, righteous might and fright aspect) but herself is in a Dex build. It is the same domain I picked for my first run and you can seriously whack but you need proper build. So while you can transform her from some other sources, it's not her "build", unless you count last circle 9(shapechange ithink?) spell or maybe you pick another shaman domain, but for me picking another doman or witch hex seems broken. Also, they don't allow you to transform very early either. If they wanted to make her an unhittable buffer, a Wind domain would suit her more. From her character perspective, Bones or Nature would be a more lore friendly pick.

Last edited:
could learn from deadfire(first time that string of words has been typed in human history) by being able to select their class from a few thematically-fitting ones when they join your party
Yeah it's one of the sawyercompromises that doesn't hurt. However, I am for hell sure I've seen it somewhere before Deadfire. In fact I am eerily sure Neverwinter Nights allowed you this somewhere, or maybe in some popular mods.
Divinity: Original Sin 2 did this. They let you choose through dialogue when you met them. In particular I remember meeting the Red Prince (lizard) after the prologue and having him shift to being a pyromancer rather than warrior.

Testownia

So what's the Kodex Konsensus on Mythic Paths?
At the first glance some of Lich abilities seem insane. Demon on the other hand... eh... elastic but boring?
join the trickery club

be among the very best

And get the worst epilogues. By the way, Azata is such a retard
that he gets a bunch of children killed. And apparently it's unavoidable, unless you make a non-Azata choice?

EDIT: I'm actually glad that it's being revealed that the good paths also have their own flaws and screw-ups. As to the Demon abilities - both his abilities and story are very sparsely implemented.

EDIT 2: Maybe someone deems to explain what's "fake news"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom