Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
GlaiveFighterInitiative.jpg
Linzi Initiative.jpg
Harrim Initiative 15.jpg SSwordlord Initiative.jpg

Kaivokz

Arcane
Whoever runs the WotR Facebook page has been posting about classic (mostly C)RPGs.

(This arrangement is actually pretty cool... I honestly like it more than the orchestral one, haha.)

Trying to win back grognards after pledging to put Kitsune in the game?

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Howdy folks, life got really busy and I've fallen pretty far out of the loop since Kitsune were announced.
Haven't been able to play the Alpha for a while either, though next weekend is looking like I'll finally have enough time free to make it worth firing the game up.
Game still gud?

Tytus

Arcane
Howdy folks, life got really busy and I've fallen pretty far out of the loop since Kitsune were announced.
Haven't been able to play the Alpha for a while either, though next weekend is looking like I'll finally have enough time free to make it worth firing the game up.
Game still gud?

Shit's fucked, go home, beat your wife.

Bara

Arcane
Kickstarter said June 2021 was the estimated date so a long ways to go.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
The only disappointment so far, at least for me, is Owlcat not implementing the Occultist class. Although I realise it has such a large number of unique mechanics it would automatically become the "special snowflake" class.

Yeah, I prefer to keep the Tricksters as quasi full casters. Losing just one caster level lets them retain more tactical options, like crowd control. Plus, a thassilonian trickster has as many spellcasts and the same spell access as a Sorcerer. Sacrificing 3 more levels of DCs and spell access is just too much for me.

I can imagine a lot of opportunities where super op weapons offer a better opportunity cost than touch AC cantrips. Especially later on. Just saying one of the nice things about being AT for me is those 4 early levels of not standing around doing nothing against every trash mob.
AT should be pure as possible since they included accomplished sneak attacker cheese. Otherwise the only acceptable deviation is EK once AT is maxed. AT should focus on control spells, not blasting. You get far more mileage out of sneak attack and spell slots this way. It's also the correct way to play a wizard in 3E systems. Once you get Surprise Spells, memorization should be about 50:50 CC:Blast. The items are so powerful in PFKM, there is no question about cantrips being a waste of time. Once you're done rushing surprise spells, you'll have enough daily spells were conservation is less important. Furthermore, scrolls and wands are so abundant, that these are a good choice for taking advantage of ranged sneak attacks. Scroll Savant is a very good kit in PFKM.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Finally got back to playing the Alpha today. I am sure that the Lost Chapel library is meant to be a place you can return to later in the game - but I didn't want to, so boy oh boy have I been suffering by trying to clear it (at level 8/Mythic 2, on Core difficulty).
I know I have said it before, but getting your ass kicked in this game is a lot of fun.
It's like my man Sam Beckett said, "try again, fail again, fail better."
:incline:

Last edited:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Oh boy the alpha just alpha'd me despite my praise of 20 minutes ago.
I had 3 Legions - one at strength 5, one at strength 3, one at strength 1 - and my strength 5 one just up and vanished on me.

As much as I've been an advocate of time limits in PF:KM (and FO1 of course), this bug makes me really glad that WotR has no time-sensitive things, at least in the Alpha.
Of course if everything were working properly I'd change my tune and maintain that time limits are unadulterated :incline:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
About time limits, I think that instead of "insta game over", you can make it more interesting Lawntoilet. For eg, instead of "prevent the troll invasion in X days or lose your capital and the game", could be "prevent the troll invasion in X days or a lot of refugees will appear in your capital, merchants will gonna die, the prices rise up", instead of "defeat the evil necromancer in X days or he insta destroys your kingdom", can be "defeat the evil necromancer in X days or he ascends into a lich, and now is far nastier and a optional puzzle is now mandatory since you need to find his phylactery". I enjoy timed quests but consequences in game world is better than insta game over. Mount & Blade did it right. You can accept a quest to deliver a message, failed? It affects your honor, reputation, relation(...) but is not a insta game over.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
About time limits, I think that instead of "insta game over", you can make it more interesting Lawntoilet. For eg, instead of "prevent the troll invasion in X days or lose your capital and the game", could be "prevent the troll invasion in X days or a lot of refugees will appear in your capital, merchants will gonna die, the prices rise up", instead of "defeat the evil necromancer in X days or he insta destroys your kingdom", can be "defeat the evil necromancer in X days or he ascends into a lich, and now is far nastier and a optional puzzle is now mandatory since you need to find his phylactery". I enjoy timed quests but consequences in game world is better than insta game over. Mount & Blade did it right. You can accept a quest to deliver a message, failed? It affects your honor, reputation, relation(...) but is not a insta game over.
I think that a kind of system with "degrees of success/degrees of failure" is ideal, which sounds like what you are talking about.
I just get annoyed when a game tells you "hey, hurry up, this is urgent," with no mechanical consequences.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

The game-over doesn't happen immediately. Your kingdom stats start dropping, so if you don't start taking care of things immediately then, you have only yourself to blame.

(Additionally, trolls overrunning your kingdom and a lich turning everyone into it into his thralls is the kind of thing that should entirely halt your progress)

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>lich turning everyone into it into his thralls
Vordakai best villain!

Enough, Vordakai! Come face your death - I'm the one who will sentence you.
From a relic of a crumbled empire, a relic I steal...
Curse you, Vordakai, blinded by your faded power, I take your sight!
Curse you, Vordakai, thriving in your blind arrogance, I claim your eye!

Too bad his fight was underwhelming.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
End of alpha: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2919402

Per Alpha Ad Astra: Alpha Test Results

Hello!

My name is Alexey “Mortheim” Ostroukhov and today I’m here to share an update about the result of the Alpha Test.

We are approaching the release of the pre-beta test for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. In the alpha, we had 2,762 participants and received a lot of reports (around 7000!) and feedback, which was reviewed and put into the action plan.

We want to say “Thank you” to everyone, who participated in the Alpha Test. With your help Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous will reach new heights.

What was the focus?
With the Alpha Test, we wanted to see how the game feels and get an opinion on some of the new features.

With a mythic-focused story, we needed to learn how compelling mythics are and how people like them. Every Mythic should be interesting and useful.

Another important topic was the addition of the rotating camera, and changes that were made to the design of the levels, and how it affected the gameplay.

We were also curious about the overall atmosphere and feeling of the game. Wrath of the Righteous is a dark adventure path and it was crucial that we would convey the atmosphere just right.

It was also curious to receive feedback about the first iteration of Armies in Crusade. While the mechanic wasn’t finished, the suggestions and ideas we have received from players resembled some of our own. It is clear to us that we are going in the right direction.

9a1ee8b499b4fb9f09dea846b79bc98d_original.png

But there were a lot of other questions that we were seeking answers for...

How did it go?
Thanks to our awesome admin and moderator team who helped us immensely—assisting fellow players and giving alpha roles on the discord server.

It went great. There were awesome discussions on the forum and discord, which we kept track of and summarized to review later. It was enchanting to see discussions about companions, classes, mythics, and mechanics. Your infectious enthusiasm was really motivating for us.

8eeb8b6d3b22500b82b361daa577f31c_original.png

It was interesting to learn what difficulties our testers played on.

During the test, we held two polls with more than 100 questions overall. At the same time, we were gathering feedback on the forum and discord. Later all that information was combined into the table with 134 cases to discuss. In order to plan future actions, team leads gathered in voice chat to discuss all those cases. They were joined by team members - some wanted to participate in the discussion and share their point of view, others wanted to listen. It is important for us that everyone can share their opinion openly and participate in discussions.

It took two days to talk over all the cases and plan our strategy. Around 100 tasks were created to work on those ideas, suggestions, and issues.

We also had a similar update about Pathfinder: Kingmaker which you can check out here.

And the results?
You can find all the future steps and changes we will make in this table. Below we will talk about some of them in detail.

We will start with cutscenes. Ready? Take a deep breath. We will make cutscenes skippable. But only if you’ve already seen them. You will also be able to skip speech bubbles by clicking your mouse button. And even more—now you will get an autosave after a cutscene before the battle. So you won’t have to skip/click through it again.

Another thing on the list is improving the appeal of the mythics and notifying when you made your first steps in them. We found out that some openings weren’t apparent. To fix this and clearly communicate what mythics you have found, we decided to add a separate page to the mythic interface. And there will also be improvements to the mythic presentations so you will see what it can bring to the table.

0037bd0849dbb332b10d53845b19c981_original.png

With what mythic paths have you finished the alpha?

Next on our list is the camera. In Pathfinder: Kingmaker camera was static, so there were no issues related to positioning and pivoting it, while in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous you will be able to rotate the camera. We had plans to add a button to return a camera into its default position. After discussing the feedback we decided to add sensitivity sliders, so you can set up the rotation speed of your camera. We are also planning to add a compass — which was one of the most requested features — to make it easier to navigate levels and local maps.

We also received feedback that encounters felt repetitive. The Adventure Path is all about fighting demons and cultists. We came up with a solution, which will allow us to expand a variety of mobs while keeping the integrity of the story. But we might keep it a secret for some time.

This also applies to Random Encounters, which we are checking and tuning, so they will become more interesting and less annoying,

f5cbb1aeaf0eed3da763003ea4669e30_original.png

Last but not least is the improvement of the tutorial. While we are working on the new and enhanced tutorial at the start of the game, some people raised concerns that it will be really hard for new players to choose a class and understand how it all works (especially with the number of classes and archetypes in the Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous). This is why we decided to add an additional tutorial for character creation.

There are many more changes, but we can’t list all of them—it will take a lot of space and time. We are working on a peculiar infographic about the alpha test with some fun and interesting information which we will share tomorrow.

We want to express our gratitude to Alpha Testers for their support and feedback. It will help us to make Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous even better!

The next phase of testing — Pre-Beta — will launch closer to September and we are excited for your feedback! Especially on the changes that were made based on your feedback and made it into Pre-beta.

Pre-beta will be available for people with Alpha Access.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom