Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathologic 2 (AKA Pathologic remake)

alyvain

Learned
I'm still baffled by the publisher mandate to call this Pathologic 2. All it does is confuse people.

I think it's alright. There are at least four Pathologics (original, HD-remaster, the Marble Nest and now Pathologic 2). Of course it would be better if this thing was marketed as Pathologic 2 right from the start.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'm still baffled by the publisher mandate to call this Pathologic 2. All it does is confuse people.
I think it's alright. There are at least four Pathologics (original, HD-remaster, the Marble Nest and now Pathologic 2). Of course it would be better if this thing was marketed as Pathologic 2 right from the start.
how it should've been:
- Pathologic
- Pathologic (no reason to give it a different name: you can't buy original anymore, and there is barely any difference between it and HD remaster)
- Pathologic Remake - Playable Teaser
- Pathologic Remake

Skdursh

Savant
It's been said hundreds of times already, but it's not a remake. The developers have repeatedly stated that it's a reimagining of the original game, a similar story and world, but not the same story and world. Hence the 2.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Hence the 2.
2 implies a sequel, not reimagining.
Not to mention that almost every video game remake is a reimagining.
Does Final Fantasy VII have anything to do with Final Fantasy VI? Numbering something the next in succession does not mean it has to be a direct continuation of it.
ok. 2 in the title implies it will be either a sequel, or another entry in anthology series.

Skdursh

Savant
2 in the title implies it will be either a sequel, or another entry in anthology series.

Neverwinter Nights 1 --> Neverwinter Nights 2

Not an anthology, similar themes in the same world, but the two games have no direct relation. There are many other examples of this in literature, movies, games and so on. While it may be personally counter-intuitive to you, it is not a revolutionary idea. The "2" implies an update on the original formula.

Wunderbar

Arcane
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/05/23/pathologic-2-review/

this reboot is a godforsaken mess littered with interesting ideas, none of which will be appreciated because it is hobbled by a pervasive crappiness. After only nine hours, I’m on day three of a twelve-day story and my character is dying. I’m infected, I’m starving, and I’m exhausted. This isn’t a description of a tough-but-interesting time I’m having in a bleak world. It’s a reference to the three meters in the corner of my screen (infection, exhaustion, hunger) which have convinced me that, despite a townload of spookiness and intrigue, those nine hours are more than enough. Thanks, Pathologic 2, but no thanks.
:):):)

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/05/23/pathologic-2-review/
this reboot is a godforsaken mess littered with interesting ideas, none of which will be appreciated because it is hobbled by a pervasive crappiness. After only nine hours, I’m on day three of a twelve-day story and my character is dying. I’m infected, I’m starving, and I’m exhausted. This isn’t a description of a tough-but-interesting time I’m having in a bleak world. It’s a reference to the three meters in the corner of my screen (infection, exhaustion, hunger) which have convinced me that, despite a townload of spookiness and intrigue, those nine hours are more than enough. Thanks, Pathologic 2, but no thanks.
:):):)
Couple more quotes:

In between death and resurrection, you meet a creepy stage director in a purgatorial theatre, who curses you and says each death will make things harder. This will happen whether you saved or not. He’s very poetic about it, but in practice he means: “I’m going to permanently knock off the top of your health bar.” Or some other equivalent handicap. At one point he cursed me so that hunger will come quicker. Thanks.

After a bunch of deaths a purgatory man will offer to take away the penalties

:what:

Each successive death stacks on the debuffs until eventually Pathologic 2 takes pity and removes them all? So at a certain point its beneficial to intentionally kill yourself to escape the death spiral and restore the game to its factory settings.

Puteo

Learned
I wouldn't be surprised if said "purgatory man" is converting the effect on your stats to an effect on the town and the story. The whole game is about these unforeseen consequences after all.

Shit review from RPS, as to be expected. It would be interesting if Quintin Smith reviewed it as he published the original 'let's play' that generated so much western interest in the game. One of the only 2 good reviewers they ever had.

Cromwell

Arcane
Whats the problem with the Meters? Whats the problem with debuffs by death, cant you just not die?

Jinn

Arcane
That review looks to have been written by a child throwing a tantrum when their toy didn't do exactly what they thought it should. And from what I can tell this "professional" not only hasn't played the original game, but has only made it 9 hours and into the third day of this one. What a little bitch.

Each successive death stacks on the debuffs until eventually Pathologic 2 takes pity and removes them all? So at a certain point its beneficial to intentionally kill yourself to escape the death spiral and restore the game to its factory settings.

Don't worry. I wouldn't be surprised if this moron completely misunderstood whatever mechanic was at work here because it wasn't explicitly spelled out for him. He clearly likes to cry about games that approach things in unique and interesting ways.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Put all this together with the samey character models and the clumsy combat, and Pathologic 2 starts to feel less like an interesting failure and more like a budget Skyrim

giphy.gif

Jinn

Arcane

Don't forget this gem.

RPS Knob said:
If the intent here is to follow a Soulsian “hard is good” philosophy and apply it to the survival genre, this is misplaced. Souls games are about reaction, movement, and practice.

Skyrim and Souls games mentioned and unsuitably compared to the game in the same review! I think we just got a game journalism bingo!

alyvain

Learned
Please tell me whether it's gonna work fine on potato PCs. The Marble Nest barely worked. I know they said that optimisation is a must, but with IPL you can't be quite sure.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Please tell me whether it's gonna work fine on potato PCs. The Marble Nest barely worked. I know they said that optimisation is a must, but with IPL you can't be quite sure.
The public demo kept running out of memory on my rig (FX-4300, GTX 1050, 8 GB RAM) after about an hour of gameplay, so hopefully they've fixed that in the release version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom