Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Pathologic 2 (AKA Pathologic remake)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Crooked Bee, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Wunderbar Magister

Wunderbar
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Agame Savant

Agame
    I am sad they got rid of the cool photo portraits for dialogue.

The art/design direction was so strong for the original game that it still holds up really well graphically. Not sure if we even needed this remake, I would have loved to see them do something new and wacky like The Void.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. AnnoyanceCrime Novice

AnnoyanceCrime
    http://ice-pick.com/en/the-state-of-pathologic-2/
    Show Spoiler
    I dont care that much that it will be released in parts, it sucks but i guess there was no other way.
    However I really dont like that they have decided to make the game easier than the first one. I hoped that at least this game would be free from omnipresent casualisation.

• decline decline x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    So they run out of money.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• decline x 5
    • Despair x 3
    • Rage x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Egosphere Savant

Egosphere
    Not sure how to feel. On the surface it does suck, but wasn't the whole changelling part very rushed in the original anyways? If they can make the quality consistent, it's worth the wait

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Mikeal Savant

Mikeal
    No, just no. Episodical release always ends with fiasco. :negative:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    It has been obvious that they were running on fumes for a while now. Why can't some billionaire oligarch pump a few million into this?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Wunderbar Magister

Wunderbar
    russian oligarchs would rather steal stuff than give it away.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Normally this would piss me off, but with how long each character's path is, I'll happily play this in parts. Need a break between character playthroughs anyway, really. Only thing I'm worried about is how this is going to affect their sales, that would have already been somewhat slim.

I don't like the idea of creating a more accessible experience, however. Part of the charm of Pathologic is just how daunting and confusing everything can seem on the first playthrough. I have faith that Icepick won't go to far in the direction of decline though. Just hope they don't fuck up the challenge because of it.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. bataille Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

bataille
    You could not play it at all until all the parts have been released. Treat this like 'our company is dying, and we're afraid of not having the time to make the game' instead of 'it's episodic now!' They need the cash influx from selling the first 'episode', and I'm sure they won't sell it at a full price. With how the things are right now, it's a delayed release no matter how you look at it, but in releasing it in parts may lie the studio's miraculous salvation

Besides, people need to rewatch that video while simultaneously trimming all the fat, and then they'll get what Dybovsky was talking about: financial problems that threaten the possibility of Pathologic even happening. The sole fact that the first episode is going to be about Haruspex speaks volumes.

Ice-Pick Lodge dying would be a real loss for games as a medium, so I wish that they succeed using this tactic.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT

• Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Life of the Party Magister

Life of the Party

• Excited! Excited! x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Orma Arcane Patron

Orma
    Torment: Tides of Numenera

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Free demo: https://ice-pick.com/en/pathologic-2-demo/

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. 34scell Savant

34scell
    T poses and missing textures everywhere.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. DJOGamer PT Magister

DJOGamer PT
    So this one will be a remake to original game or a sequel?

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. normie Learned Zionist Agent

normie
    ^ Top  
  19. Wunderbar Magister

Wunderbar
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. normie Learned Zionist Agent

normie
    oh yeah :argh:

^ Top  
  21. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    I guess it's a remake in a lot of ways, including execution. I wonder if it's just the usual case of mismanagement, development team lagging behind or designers unable to reign in an otherwise great concept, but there's clearly a problem persisting through the years.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Puteo Learned

Puteo
    So did anyone actually try the demo? I just finished my run and I love it. No idea why the guy above is complaining about bugs, the only issue I found was that the fall damage is excessive but it's pretty difficult to actually fall in the game anyhow.

Never tried the original potato version, but from the little I've played this game is already a strong contender for GOTY material. Actual C&C, an interesting plot that doesn't hold your hand, reputation system, and an inclined barter system where different things are more valuable to different people; I know you people all love that shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. 34scell Savant

34scell
    Actually just reinstalled it and you're right, it's pretty good.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. zwanzig_zwoelf Stargazer Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    Tried the demo for a short while. It looks and sounds pretty good, even impresssive considering that IPL is a pretty small studio. Hell, if this came out about 3 years ago, it could rival some of the triple-A stuff.

The major downside, however, is performance -- I couldn't find a reliable source with system requirements and fps was pretty unstable all the way through (along with an out of memory crash during the dialogue).

I'll try fiddling with the settings some more and see if it gets me anywhere.

^ Top  
  25. Puteo Learned

Puteo
    That's unfortunate, performance was fine on my end, solid 60 fps throughout; the massive caveat being that my system is a beast.

Fortunately, they have said that one of their major objectives between now and release is to work on more performance improvements and I can say that they have certainly come a long way from the marble nest pre-alpha which ran terribly even on my system.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)