Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Pathologic 2 (AKA Pathologic remake)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Crooked Bee, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Their last KS update said they were going to continue crowdfunding on their own website iirc, so they might reach a couple more stretch goals after all.

^ Top  
  2. Luka-boy Arcane

Luka-boy
    I have to say I'm a little bit wary of the stretch goals expanding the game world since I found both the pacing and the time management in the original pretty much perfect, and with those goals there's a chance that they might mess that up. But at least they already acknowledged it'll need balancing and I trust these guys.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Castanova Prophet

Castanova
    I don't mind them making vast changes to the game at this point since there's no way it'll be like the original anyway. Also, I don't see why you'd call the balance of the original game "perfect" -- all you have to do is stay up all night murdering thugs and use drugs/coffee to sleep less and you completely break the game's economy and sense of food shortage.

^ Top  
  4. Lucky Arcane

Lucky
    Posting this here as well. Ice-Pick Lodge is releasing a tabletop game focused on PvP based on Pathologic. It's being developed by CapsLock Games, with ice-Pick Lodge providing the "general vision, art direction and texts". It grew from being a backer reward for the kickstarter into its own thing, like the remaster, and is being released this summer.

http://pathologic-game.com/blog/en/cards-on-the-table/

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  5. Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd Arcane Patron

Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 15
    ^ Top  
  6. Space Insect Arcane

Space Insect
    ^ Top  
  7. Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd Arcane Patron

Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    And new lengthy update on Kickstarter.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    And they've reached Lucid Dreaming stretch goal: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic/posts/1545560

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  9. Whisky The Solution

Whisky
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Oh hey, I was really hoping for that one. Nice!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Brocken Jr. Arcane

Brocken Jr.
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...odge-on-pathologic-hd-and-preserving-madness/

• Informative x 8
    • Brofist x 4
    • Thanks! x 2
    • Racist x 2
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Owl Savant

Owl
    If they can pull this off, it will be amazing. So tired of the hand-holding quest design in every game.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  13. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Why this is in general gaming ?

Game is more RPG than Pillars is.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    We've booked a long presentation and hands-on for the remake at Gamescom. I've never played the original game in any of its versions, so if you want to know anything specific about the changes in the remake you'd better post your question here.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. New Update https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic/posts/1661815

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Brocken Jr. Arcane

Brocken Jr.
    I love their weird Russian banter style. Good on them for not compromising their vision, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lucky Arcane

Lucky
    An understandable delay considering how much the scope of the game has been expanded. They've shown that they can deliver, so I don't care how long they take if it means that the game will be in the best state it could reasonably be when it is released.

In the meantime, that little side-story of theirs is also yet another potential treat produced by this kickstarter. At this rate, we'll have a remaster, a reimagining, a board game and a side-story all for what is a relatively modest kickstarter success, when the size of the project is taken into account. Granted, it's clear that they had and have funds beyond the kickstarter, but the way they're not only fulfilling their promises but going beyond them in pursuit of an idea is something a lot of developers should really pay attention to.

On a less positive note, my worries related to them choosing Unity as their engine seem to be confirmed somewhat here, but we'll see how the game runs when all is said and done.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Wulfstand Prophet

Wulfstand
  19. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    We have about 30 minutes of interview footage with two of the Pathologic people, but it may take us a while before we get to it. Thankfully this delay reduces the risk of having to publish it after the game's release.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Whisky The Solution

Whisky
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Just got this in my email:

I haven't really heard much about the Table Top game since the first bit of information. Looking forward to it.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. 34scell Savant

34scell
    Why bother with budget engines now days? 5% royalty or whatever seems like a small price to pay to make sure your game doesn't run half as well as it should.

^ Top  
  23. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Because they are usually open source and you can do anything with them and don't come with shitload of stuff that brakes when you change something in it.

I mean i am currently trying to make 2D game. Instead of choosing Unreal/Cryengine/Unity i am using simple pygame that has built in simple tools to draw produce sound and handle input without me doing anything. Then i write my own UI handling, text handling etc and i have complete control over what i am doing so i am not constrained by anything.

^ Top  
  24. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

And the backer demo is coming this Friday.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Third and fourth teasers:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)