Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Pathologic 2 (AKA Pathologic remake)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Crooked Bee, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Lithium Flower Prophet

Lithium Flower
    :bounce:

Looks great. Cautiously optimistic about the rewrite of the dialogue. The original game felt like playing a Dostoevsky novel and was full of philosophy that worked well largely because of the atmosphere of constant anxiety, dread, and occassional hope that reminded me a lot of classic Russian literature. And the passions of the characters were very believable and touching despite the fantastical events taking place. Hopefully IcePick will manage to recreate the magic of the original. If not, there is always Pathologic HD, which already has a fixed English translation IIRC for those of you who want to experience this gem and can't into the tongue of Mother Russia.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  2. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  3. Lithium Flower Prophet

Lithium Flower
    What a cool vignette.

I wonder if this scenario will actually appear in the game
    Show Spoiler
    as a fail-state
    It has some interesting implications regardless.

I found some Russian footage, and have to say that I am less cautious about the rewrite now. It definitely reads like something straight out of the original game, and the English translation seems to be accurate and carries the tone very well. Fantastic stuff.

^ Top  
  4. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Didn't watch the whole video but it looks pretty damn promising I have to say.

^ Top  
  5. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    Never played the original (yet), but from what I've seen in these clips this remake has lost a lot of the originals charm by going in the direction it is.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lithium Flower Prophet

Lithium Flower
    What direction do you think this remake is going in? Genuinely curious (I've stopped following the remake for a while, only came back to it with the recent blitz of media and teasers).

^ Top  
  7. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    The character models and dialogue windows, or lack there of, don't feel right.

The other had more of an otherworldly feeling that contrasted well with the RL pictures (especially their often very odd, glaring looks) and other profile images used throughout the game.

Just zooming into seeing the face of the models loses something of that disjointed, surreal quality the game seems to have. Hopefully I'll get around to trying the original to see if this opinion holds up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Lithium Flower Prophet

Lithium Flower
    I do miss the portraits. If I had to guess, I'd say that they weren't originally a stylistic choice, but a way to represent the character of the NPCs (since the shitty 3d models couldn't do the job.) Hence the odd, overly expressive looks you mentioned - Gryph's sneer, Georgiy's anxious stare - are meant to carry across the defining traits of the various characters. The remake's models seem to be pretty expressive, though, so I think they are a good substitute. I would concede that the game would be better off with the addition of portraits, though.

I would definitely recommend playing the original and making up your own mind, though. From what I have read, the remake will be different enough from the HD version to warrant playing both.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    Funny how those little things crop up in works. I think it also explains why remakes, passion projects and such are often bad being giving full backing that means less of a creative struggle making them. Much of supposed genius is often ad hoc adaption and just making due.

^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    http://www.pcgamer.com/the-pathologic-remake-is-already-disturbingly-good/

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Drog Black Tooth Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    why is everything brown

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Ranarama Learned

Ranarama
    Such is the colour of the brown and bloody Twyre. That of the Sand pest and the rotting meat of the Steppe. The stain doesn't cover the land, but is every part the full depth of it. Too many here serve Suok, consumed and consuming. How could it be otherwise?

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Drog Black Tooth Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    is it lovecraftian like quake, quake is the only kind of brown that i can accept

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Lithium Flower Prophet

Lithium Flower
    It is Pestilence. It is Utopia. This town couldn't exist anywhere else.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Nice, thanks for the reminder. Downloading The Marble Nest (((demo))) right now.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    This is the first page of the English manual of Pathologic
    somewhat remind me my LPs...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Brocken Jr. Arcane

Brocken Jr.
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Drog Black Tooth Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    why don't they just port it to source engine 2.0 or something

the game looks way too much like a half-life 2 mod, it would be a perfect fit

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    ^ Top  
  20. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. sexbad? Arcane Patron

sexbad?
    Codex USB, 2014
    because "caelpia" and "flock" surely mean anything at all

^ Top  
  22. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. kain30 Learned

kain30
    Just like the tittle says. Not only we have the remake but a second part!!! :bounce::bounce:

• Brofist x 5
    • Excited! x 3
    • incline x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)