Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review PC Gamerworld kinda likes Hammer & Sickle

Jinxed

Liturgist
Tags: CDV Software Entertainment AG; Hammer & Sickle

<a href="http://www.pcgameworld.com">PC Gamerworld</a> has posted a pretty short <a href="http://www.pcgameworld.com/reviews/gamereview.php/id/869/">review</a> of <a href="http://www.hammer-sickle.com/">Hammer & Sickle</a> recently. It doesn't really go into any details and looks more like a preview. They gave it 78% and complained about loading screens and bad graphics.<blockquote>For those who enjoy RPG's and tactical games H&S should be a natural fit. The look and gameplay quality are comparable to that of Eidos Entertainment's Commandos series but with RPG elements like a turn based combat mode and a skill tree that grows with level experience.</blockquote> Turn based combat sure is an RPG element. All those real time combat games calling themselves RPGs should really reconsider.<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com/">RPGDot</A>

Balor

Arcane
Well, it's worse then in PHEAR and LOATH... I mean, Quake IV - therefore, it's bad. :roll:

Lemon

Arcane
One thing that does look poor is if your running on Very High without full anistropic filtering... all 3d surfaces become quite fuzzy and washed out. Dropping down in detail or upping the AF resolves it.

I would like to see larger maps or at least organic borders to the current ones. Have a field that continues into the distance rather than the current chess board floating in a void setup. Thats my prime want in terms of graphics other wise its fine. If we were to get into wishlists I'd love to see better support for vehicles in the SS engine... currently they follow a scripted path when they appear but It would nice if they adapted their physics engine to support them... for visual points but also that they could be mobile assests with their own AI. Have them crashing about a destructable map :)

Do we have any word on what Nival is doing in regards to a SS followup beyond Sentinels?

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Their working on Nightwatch (kind of a follow up)

and Heros of Might and Magic V or is it VI

Lemon

Arcane
kumquatq3 said:
Their working on Nightwatch (kind of a follow up)

and Heros of Might and Magic V or is it VI

Nightwatch has been released though and Heroes is almost done.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I've always hated that when someone is reviewing a game, when they get to graphics instead of explaining the graphical style and explaining what it looks like, instead they just compare it to the hot-shit-of-the-month FPS and say how ugly it is.

Not every game needs the top of the line graphics in the world to score perfect in the graphics department.

High graphic scores = graphics are well designed, informational and not damaging to the eyes

NOT

OH SHIT THIS IS LIKE QUAKE 4 x 5 INSANE!11

Screaming_life

Liturgist
LlamaGod said:
Not every game needs the top of the line graphics in the world to score perfect in the graphics department.

High graphic scores = graphics are well designed, informational and not damaging to the eyes

exactly... space rangers 2 has the best gfx i've seen this year.

Fresh

Erudite
Screaming_life said:
LlamaGod said:

exactly... space rangers 2 has the best gfx i've seen this year.

Dx-ball has the best gfx... evar.

7th Circle

Scholar
LlamaGod said:
I've always hated that when someone is reviewing a game, when they get to graphics instead of explaining the graphical style and explaining what it looks like, instead they just compare it to the hot-shit-of-the-month FPS and say how ugly it is.

snip

All they have to say is "while not as technically sophisticated as [insert uber-engined fps], this looks" and then give a description...but they rarely do...

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
What confused them I think is quite cartoonish graphics of H&S and SS engine itself. They never went for uber photrealistic gfx like latest fps titles anyway, but that's beyon someone's comprehension.

And probably those reviewers haven't played much rpgs or squad based tactics (if any) hence the lack of even basic knowledge of what turn based combat is.

bryce777

Erudite
LlamaGod said:

NOT

Then you get these games and the graphic style is utter shit anyway. I swear to god, these game reviewers are all just god damn fucking morons.

Fresh

Erudite
bryce777 said:
LlamaGod said:

NOT

Then you get these games and the graphic style is utter shit anyway. I swear to god, these game reviewers are all just god damn fucking morons.
Most reviewers are morons, regardless of genre/medium. Just open a newspaper and look a t the movie reviews.

"[Insert title] is teh awesomest evar!! It willst blooww you awayy!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom