Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview PC Gaming Show at E3 2016: Tyranny Gameplay Reveal Trailer

Fairfax

Arcane
Talking about the part where Feargus yells at people, don't know if it was streamed.

Zeriel

Arcane
To be honest the last centuries of the bronze age were quite exciting. There were events like the see people destroying nearly all remaining bronz empires, the fall of the Hettites and Minoans, the rise and fall of the Mycenae and the rising of the new iron age states like David's Isreal.
What is a bit strange to me, is the use of the name of Kyros for the main villain, all Kings with the name Kyros were pretty decent Kings and good leaders.
Despite the shitty effects and SJW propaganda i will definitely try this thing out.

I remember reading some Wilbur smith books, his Egypt ones where there was some fantastic battle scenes where one tribe is coming in contact with people with iron weapons and getting absolutely dominated. Imagine how demoralizing it would have been to block a sword only to have yours break...
I agree that that sort of "arms race" maybe set off against larger armies vs. better armed but smaller ones, would be an interesting setting.

Bronze is stronger than most iron, so the guy writing that must have been retarded unless you're talking about them using copper because they didn't have enough bronze weapons for everyone.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Nah, you're both retarded. Silvers for Monsters. Steel for Humans.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Talking about the part where Feargus yells at people, don't know if it was streamed.

Considering half of people during the that stream seemed shit faced drunk, Avellone included, I'm not surprised if Feargues had to put the hammer down at some point.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
To be honest the last centuries of the bronze age were quite exciting. There were events like the see people destroying nearly all remaining bronz empires, the fall of the Hettites and Minoans, the rise and fall of the Mycenae and the rising of the new iron age states like David's Isreal.
What is a bit strange to me, is the use of the name of Kyros for the main villain, all Kings with the name Kyros were pretty decent Kings and good leaders.
Despite the shitty effects and SJW propaganda i will definitely try this thing out.

I remember reading some Wilbur smith books, his Egypt ones where there was some fantastic battle scenes where one tribe is coming in contact with people with iron weapons and getting absolutely dominated. Imagine how demoralizing it would have been to block a sword only to have yours break...
I agree that that sort of "arms race" maybe set off against larger armies vs. better armed but smaller ones, would be an interesting setting.

Bronze is stronger than most iron, so the guy writing that must have been retarded unless you're talking about them using copper because they didn't have enough bronze weapons for everyone.

I think it's actually worse than than that. The main dude was using some "star ore" sword as far as I remember.
Anyway it was rad reading it back at the time.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
There's Midnight setting and Mistborn but not much else. Darksun maybe also fits. A big step-up from "Jolly band of adventurers stops evil maniac and his evil minions from doing something unspeakably evil".
Its not a big step up, thats my point. The setting is generic fantasy, that it has an evil overlord does not make it kewl. Low standards, low energy.
If you play Sarevok and win, does not make Sword Coast non generic original unique.

Nothing from the trailers so far makes it look anything like a Sword Coast. Sure it might be a generic RPG with flipped quests like "kill rats in the cellar (FOR THE DARK LORD)" but it might just as well be more similar to Dark Sun. A big step-up from Eternity setting which from the first previews was nothing other than Sword Coast ersatz.

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Lets flip the perspective. Tell me what is specifically non generic here?

- High magic, with magic fights, since you need magic users to fight it will be spread enough to not call it low magic
- Looks to me like the general medieval, feudal setting, society wise, somewhere in temperate climate (on a big island...)
- Epic
- Purple Crystals and shit
+ Only human races, counts as non generic if they dont make em fantastic There is some kind of bugbear in the party in the trailer...
+ Being lawful as a source of power? or some shit like that, might count if it doesnt come from a God
o Villain has won, does not count, maybe a little
o The Big Bad and his Dirty Dozen do not win points with me, though some might find it cool

Fairfax

Arcane
I remember that post, but I didn't know about the livestream. Is there a video? And did MCA really say that? :lol:

Though I guess you guys are talking about the party party, not the end of campaign stream?

https://www.twitch.tv/obsidian/v/38122969 I think that might be it. I wouldn't know where it'd be in that 6 hours.
Thanks. People in this thread said it was right after they started singing, made it easy to find.

Feargus: "All the South Park people, you have to go back to work."
A few seconds after they leave the room you can hear some argument and it's clearly Feargus saying "No, fuck you!". :lol:
Whoever got what MCA said has a good ear, he says "[something] my short term memory", though it doesn't sound like "wish I could erase" to me.

Someone should save it ASAP, I'm surprised they haven't deleted the video yet.

Also this gem:

lol everyone left and now josh is back
I'm glad Josh hates loud drunks almost as much I do. This is one of the reasons why we're perfect for each other.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected

Indeed. That is the most idiotic notion deeply embedded in fantasy genre.

Sannom

Augur
+ Being lawful as a source of power? or some shit like that, might count if it doesnt come from a God
How did you get that from any of the material released about this game so far?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
- High magic, with magic fights, since you need magic users to fight it will be spread enough to not call it low magic
- Looks to me like the general medieval, feudal setting, society wise, somewhere in temperate climate (on a big island...)
- Epic
+ Only human races, counts as non generic if they dont make em fantastic There is some kind of bugbear in the party in the trailer...

You could say the same about Darksun, Raveloft, Planescape (except society is generic XIX century instead of medieval, by the way how do you know that society is medieval?), Morrowind, Gothic, Wizardry and Dark Souls. Is making a non-generic fantasy RPG possible? Making it low-magic, non-epic and removing crystals doesn't work because then it's just a Conan ripoff which is also generic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The generic story is when a knight riding around horses killing things seals the dark portal and prevents him from gotting everything.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Being the high executor of the victorious Evil Lord isn't very generic.
You mean that it is most non-generic part in 101% of generic story.
Also, he is not more executor than elite warrior in the service of the ruler.
Something like Avadon of Jeff Vogel comes to mind, although there was just a rookie or something like that.

You all making same mistake - you take part of plot element for whole plot.
More that that, such stories always and immediately I associate with fairy tales as genre - Once upon a time there was a wicked witch...

Nah, you're both retarded. Silvers for Monsters. Steel for Humans.
You forgot cold iron for spirits.

Indeed. That is the most idiotic notion deeply embedded in fantasy genre.
And bronze doesn't rust under normal conditions, that's why we have a lot of bronzework, and very little of ironwork.

- Epic

You could say the same about Darksun, Raveloft, Planescape (except society is generic XIX century instead of medieval, by the way how do you know that society is medieval?), Morrowind, Gothic, Wizardry and Dark Souls. Is making a non-generic fantasy RPG possible? Making it low-magic, non-epic and removing crystals doesn't work because then it's just a Conan ripoff which is also generic.
Distortion. It isn't a thing that made P:T what it is, it is combination of elements, that driven by the story, and if you remove a story the game will lose roughly half of it originality.

I bet all who told that it is non-generic story will be hugely glad if next story will be on behalf of sentient kneecap of younger third concubine of the third steward of the second Deputy Assistant centurion.
Hell yeah! originality my ass.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm neutral too, because it doesn't show whole picture about what game it will be, just talking about those elements I saw.

Delterius

Arcane
Still, something tells me this will be better received than PoE.

I think it'll be lovely if it isn't better received, as numerous Codexers finally face the fact that it's not some mysterious "Sawyerism" that turned them off of PoE, but the simple fact that it featured more active ability use than the Infinity Engine games did. Cooldowns, baby, cooldowns.

Although, maybe with just four party members they'll be able to handle that better.

Sawyer is now in charge of setting game design imperatives for the whole studio, so your notion that that would change our opinion of Sawyer is rather naive at best.

Told you. Anti-Sawyerism has developed into a religion. There's always an explanation.
Sawyerism is the Heresy, Anti-Sawyerism is the Holy Inquisition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom