Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

People that like stories in games.

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by anvi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. anvi Arbiter Village Idiot

anvi
    What do you think makes a good story?

• honk honk! honk honk! x 14
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Tse Tse Fly Learned

Tse Tse Fly
    To me, a good story is one that is (mostly) logical/consistent and interesting to follow. Apart from that, I really haven't any specific requirements.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. deama Arbiter

deama
    If it gives me a new perspective.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I don't typically like movie style stories in games, i.e. "sit and watch this while you wait to play." There are some exceptions where it was super well done, like I guess Mass Effect and maybe the between level cutscenes in a game like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, but for the most part I want to PLAY games, not watch them. Thus the kinds of stories I prefer are ones where you're put in a world that is interesting and has a lot of interesting characters and factions, and you go around interacting with them in a more player-driven and sporadic manner. The good Fallouts and Morrowind are perfect examples of this and among my favorite games of all time. Don't go too overboard with the dialog and such though, I don't want to feel like I'm reading a novel when I'm trying to play a video game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jvegi Arcane

Jvegi
    Good story is not bad.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. anvi Arbiter Village Idiot

anvi
    Jeez that's a pretty big demand.

^ Top  
  7. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    A functional story in a game gives decent context for whatever it is you are doing. A very shit story can ruin a lot, like D:OS1.

^ Top  
  8. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    If it keeps me ruminating and musing about the concept for weeks after, the storyteller succeeded.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. anvi Arbiter Village Idiot

anvi
    How many games achieved that for you?

^ Top  
  10. Swigen Learned

Swigen
    The best stories build up a thing to the point where you think it’s this world destroying calamity only to reach the end and find that it’s a low poly whirlwind of snow and the bitch you been chasing the whole fuckin’ game overcomes it ‘cause she remembers her friends or whatever.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. deama Arbiter

deama
    Well, you did say good.

^ Top  
  12. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Maybe a handful or so.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. vortex Arbiter

vortex
    Which ones?

^ Top  
  14. Tweed Learned

Tweed
    A good story is one that respects my space and knows to stay the fuck out of my way if I don't want to hear all the details. However a good story is also interesting enough to make me want to go looking for it. Morrowind is a great example, you can ignore most of the lore and story since its in books (and Kirkbrides fanfics) and still have a good time and then replays let you fill in the details. Meanwhile a game like, say, Pillars of Eternity wants to cram tons of mostly useless information down your throat in the hopes that you equate word count to fun.

^ Top  
  15. majorsoccer Prospernaut Shitposter

majorsoccer
    Plot twists

^ Top  
  16. Abhay Savant

Abhay
    I don't like stories that have been presented by games in the past. It should not be lacking in originality and certain level of uniqueness that makes it interesting for the players to invest time in getting immersed into the storyline.

^ Top  
  17. majorsoccer Prospernaut Shitposter

majorsoccer
    i despise stories where your main character is a all good messiah and have to save the world from the evil.

Ironically,the only game that did this kind of story right is Unreal.

Overall,i despise any story where good vs evil is too black and white.

^ Top  
  18. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Interesting bad guys. Everything else can be shit to mediocre, it doesn't matter as much.

^ Top  
  19. what am i doing Learned

what am i doing
    A good story is nice, but honestly I'm generally just content if the story isn't retarded. Also, in games, I think characters are more important than plot. A bland story is ok, whereas bland characters detract a lot from the experience. Good characters, conversely, can make a bland / basic story more engaging by their presence.

^ Top  
  20. Excommunicator Arcane

Excommunicator
    Memorable - leave me thinking about it after its finished; did a character do the right thing, what will come of that world after the story ends, how would I have done things if I was in that situation etc.
    Airtight/logical - no or minimal plot holes and characters who do things that I can follow the logic of even if I don't agree with them
    Unexpectedness - you don't need a huge twist or shock (can be good) but if you always know what will happen next then there will be no real punch. Even just some little things that come out of left side
    Don't preach - a good story shouldn't tell someone what stance to take or what to think, instead it invites you to think

All of this applies for linear stories and interactive ones IMO. The only real difference with an interactive one is that you need to give some choices (many if its an RPG) and then follow them through in some way, don't ignore them or pretend they didn't happen.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Tiospo Novice

Tiospo
    Game story is good, good story is the best!

^ Top  
  22. Plaguecrafter Novice

Plaguecrafter
    Not having a "save-the-world" kind of character as a protagonist. It can work in some cases, but generally it's all rehashed and you've read/played that story a dozen times already. Not forcing everything on the player and leaving some space to have "what would have happened if" thoughts is a plus.

A good plot twist also adds to the good story. Bioshock with its "Would you kindly?" comes to mind first when talking about plot twists in video game stories.

^ Top  
  23. M. AQVILA Arcane

M. AQVILA
    One that is engaging, that keeps you wanting to know more. That even though the gameplay might be shit, you still endure it because you want to know what happens next. That's when I know it's a good story.

Of course I also like games with lots of choices, not necessarily with consequences (although it would be better that way), and interactivity.

^ Top  
  24. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Planescape Torment
    SOMA
    Deus Ex (yeah yeah keep laughing)

Maybe a couple of adventures that were unusually well though out:

The Cat Lady
    Culpa Innata

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    Story-gameplay integration, some degree of choice-consequence, interesting characters.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)