Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People that like stories in games.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
A good story is story that doesn't interfere with good game mechanics and combat, is concise and doesn't have a political or sexual agenda.

Frozen

Arcane
What do you think makes a good story?

Mature content (not in a xxx way but that is always a +) dark and gray morality, more inteligent and complex than cartoonish mainstream simplified conflicts that are present in popular entertainment.
Having a more complex characters that are interesting and not just good or bad.
Being surprising but within a context and within boundaries of logic (that it make sense and not surprise that is wtf just because).

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
What do you think makes a good story?

Mature content (not in a xxx way but that is always a +) dark and gray morality, more inteligent and complex than cartoonish mainstream simplified conflicts that are present in popular entertainment.
Having a more complex characters that are interesting and not just good or bad.
Being surprising but within a context and within boundaries of logic (that it make sense and not surprise that is wtf just because).
How many games do you know like this?

zaper

Yes.
Developer
I don't like to play a movie. I don't care much for story in games when I am just an spectator for most of the important decisions in the game, without impacting thing by my decisions.

To me, most of what makes a good story is how much of it was a consequence of my choices as a player.

laclongquan

Arcane
Good stories is GOOD story.

I dont care that you want to force your political agenda in that, as long as you do it VERY WELL.

IT's actually harder than those hacks in the industry believe.

Example? Orson Scott Card with his freaking idea of "war can be commanded by rearechelon motherfucker from the back, no need for actual experience, smell the blood and burnt material" etc... I do read his Ender series. Shit idea, but he wrote very well.

The examples in game industry is few and far between. Say Planescape Torment: at the essence it's the idea of whether a man soul is his experience or not. if he forget old memories would he be another person(ality)? Also there's a lot of other ideas, but this essence was explained and extrapolated very well throughout the game. (The answer seem to bias to YES, as the anarchist personality contrast with the practical one.... maybe No, I dont know, it could be interpreted either way)

On the same note regarding memory and personality, Final Fantasy 8 dabble in this question a bit. The orphans are raised into soldiers/warriors, learn to use forbidden power which is Guardian Forces. GF has the side effect of eating away long term memory of user, so the children forget quite a bit. I like FF8 story in the way it treat interactions between various characters, though it seems I am the minority here. I like FF8 better than FF7, though the way FF7 treat obsession/hidden personality switch in Cloud is pretty nice~

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom