Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Magic: Legends - online action-RPG with CCG elements from Cryptic Studios - LOL dead

Will this be...

• Total voters

Kem0sabe

Arcane
https://www.playmagiclegends.com

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/magic-legends/home

Developers Behind Neverwinter Unveil New Title Based on Wizards of the Coast’s Strategy Card Game

June 07, 2017 12:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Perfect World Entertainment Inc., a leading publisher of online games, and Cryptic Studios, today announced the development of a brand new RPG based on Magic: The Gathering, the acclaimed strategic card game by Wizards of the Coast. The AAA RPG is currently being developed from the ground up for both PC and console. Additional details and the game’s official title will be revealed at a later date.

The world’s most popular strategy card game, Magic: The Gathering transforms players into Planeswalkers, powerful mages who can travel between planes, cast spells and summon mythical creatures. The beloved trading card game has over 20 million fans across more than 70 countries, and is available in 11 languages. Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios’ new RPG will allow fans of the game to fully immerse themselves in the Multiverse, the rich fantasy world in which Magic: The Gathering takes place.

“It’s Magic: The Gathering like you’ve never experienced before,” said Bryan Huang, CEO of Perfect World Entertainment. “We are ecstatic about the direction of the game Cryptic has been shaping. It’s always been a dream of ours to bring Magic’s Planeswalkers to a modern RPG.”

The upcoming game extends the licensing partnership between Perfect World Entertainment, Cryptic Studios and Wizards of the Coast – a relationship that has resulted in 15 million Neverwinter players and growing.

“This game is an exciting part of Wizards of the Coast’s Magic Digital Next initiative to extend gameplay beyond the tabletop, and we’re proud to work with the talented team at Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios to bring the Magic: The Gathering Multiverse to life,” said David Schwartz, Wizards of the Coast Vice President of Digital Publishing.

Cryptic Studios is currently ramping up production in its Los Gatos headquarters for the development of the game.

“Everything from the graphics to the gameplay is being targeted for a truly unique AAA game,” said Stephen D’Angelo, CEO of Cryptic Studios. “We’re thrilled to provide Magic fans with an opportunity to explore the game’s worlds and characters through an entirely new lens. Get ready to embark on a brand new journey.”

For more information about and opportunities at Cryptic Studios, please visit: https://crypticstudios.com/

For more information about Perfect World Entertainment, please visit: http://www.perfectworld.com/

ABOUT PERFECT WORLD ENTERTAINMENT INC.

Perfect World Entertainment is a leading North American online games publisher specializing in immersive free-to-play MMORPGs. Founded in 2008, Perfect World Entertainment has published a number of popular titles, including Swordsman, Blacklight Retribution, Forsaken World, PWI and Star Trek Online. The company works closely with its American development teams and partners such as Cryptic Studios, developer of the highly acclaimed MMORPG Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter, and Runic Games, developer of the hit Torchlight series, to provide unparalleled quality of service and game experiences to its players. A subsidiary of Perfect World Group, Perfect World Entertainment is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California.

ABOUT CRYPTIC STUDIOS, INC.

Cryptic Studios, Inc. is a leading developer of online games committed to delivering the next level of gameplay. Cryptic Studios, Inc. develops AAA titles for PC and is rapidly diversifying its portfolio of games to expand beyond the traditional MMORPG genre. Its successfully launched titles include Champions Online: Free for All, Star Trek Online and Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter. Cryptic Studios, Inc., a subsidiary of Perfect World Group, is located in Los Gatos, CA.

ABOUT WIZARDS OF THE COAST

Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAS), creates premier gaming experiences for over 20 million fans worldwide. Dedicated to the global community of players and fans bound together by their love of both digital and in-person play, Wizards of the Coast prides itself on bringing depth, inclusivity, and fun to all its gaming experiences, which include an array of beloved and powerful brands such as Magic: The Gathering, and Dungeons & Dragons. For more information about Wizards of the Coast’s world-renowned brands, visit www.wizards.com.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Last edited by a moderator:

JasonNH

Augur
Just about anytime I see AAA and RPG put together in the same sentence, I suspect it will suck.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
It must be weird to not know you're pissing away millions of dollars for no reason whatsoever, to give people who don't want it, a thing that has no demand.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
Yeah I said in another thread that the Chris Avellone tweet was going to be a magic the gathering game. I was wrong about that specific announcement (I assumed the mention of "Cryptic Tweet" was a hint that it was related to Cryptic the developer), but yeah, I heard rumblings about a MtG MMO a while back.

deuxhero

Arcane
“It’s Magic: The Gathering like you’ve never experienced before,” said Bryan Huang, CEO of Perfect World Entertainment

This is a lie. Homelands was a thing so we have indeed experienced MTG that shitty.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Not a fan of MMOs anyway but PWE?Cryptic is an almost instantaneous no. God, Neverwinter sucked, even before you added in their bullshit approach to F2P.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Magic's core audience is hypersperg megautists who are completely fine with spending $40 on Mishra's Bauble, so they might be able to catch a couple of Asian whales to keep the whole thing afloat. But, like, I don't know if those guys give a single fuck about the 'lore' of 'Jace' and 'Nissa' and whatever other faggot shit you're going to run around shooting "Lightning Bolt" and "Remand" with cooldowns during.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MBut, like, I don't know if those guys give a single fuck about the 'lore' of 'Jace' and 'Nissa' and whatever other faggot shit you're going to run around shooting "Lightning Bolt" and "Remand" with cooldowns during.
To be fair, the lore of MTG died when they stopped releasing novels with the editions.
Everything you got now are occasional flavor texts and blog entries.
And the planeswalkers not only messed up game balance, but the stories just as well :lol:

Well, I'll surely give the game a try when it comes out. Definitely interested in how all the mechanics will be transported.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
“It’s Magic: The Gathering like you’ve never experienced before,”

So, basically then why the fuck should I care? Hey, look, it's like that thing you really liked but actually not at all. :retarded:

Pretty much this:
It must be weird to not know you're pissing away millions of dollars for no reason whatsoever, to give people who don't want it, a thing that has no demand.

:salute:

Norfleet

I am disappoint that I can only pick one of these choices. Where's my Banal + Shit + Boring option? The "None and All of the Above" is too vague!

deuxhero

Arcane
The TBS was apparently shit, but at least the concept was reasonable. No idea how they'll do an MMO but it can't be good.

I really love single player TCG based video games with a plot (instead of gallery of opponents) and it's a shame we'll never get another one for Magic after the untranslated Dreamcast one, and Konami is too shit to make a good one for Yu-Gi-Oh anymore (and the last good one, Over the Nexus, apparently came out right before the TCG went to shit).

J1M

Arcane
So the obvious question here is if the gameplay will look anything like the card game, or if they are just going to re-skin Neverwinter. I think we all know the answer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom