Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Atlus Persona 5

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Humanity has risen!, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    http://gematsu.com/2013/09/atlus-opens-november-24-teaser-site

So which platforms?

My guess is either PSVita or PS3, they'll probably want to tap into the existing PlayStation fanbase.

Unfortunately I expect no standalone dungeons. I frankly don't care about the randomly generated stuff of the last two games. And the s link stuff is just corny.

^ Top  
  2. Krraloth Liturgist Patron

Krraloth
    Wasteland 2
    So basically you don't want to play a persona game?

^ Top  
  3. Whisky The Solution

Whisky
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Persona 1 and 2 had none of that.

2 is my favorite in the series, but I liked 3 and 4 too. I like the later games less and less lately though.

^ Top  
  4. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    So who's your waifu?

^ Top  
  5. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    I already have a real life waifu.

I care about the gameplay, themes, and atmosphere, not about any of that social or moe trash.

I did like how Persona 3 and 4 did a good job in implementing a feeling of time passing and like you really lived in a vibrant place with a lot of people to meet. But there's no need to go over the top with it, and especially not to remove all custom dungeons.

Persona 3 has quite a few custom dungeons, but 4 did away with all of them. That really pissed me off.

^ Top  
  6. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    I would love for it to be a PS3 title, but considering how the PS4 is near and how SMTIV was 3DS exclusive, it will probably be for PS4, Vita or 3DS... :(

^ Top  
  7. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I for one wouldn't mind it being on the 3DS :P

The worst thing is that it feels like Persona games are becoming more and more full of social sim crap with every new installment; I highly doubt P5 is going to be any different. I might still pick it up if the dungeons and combat are decent enough, though.

^ Top  
  8. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    The 3DS sucks, such a low resolution and 3D rendering power is plain unacceptable in this day and age. The single analog stick sticks out like a sore thumb and is very uncomfortable to use. I'm shocked that Monster Hunter 4 is on the platform because it's extremely annoying to use, especially for an action game.

The Vita is the best handheld ever and is a joy to hold and control, plus its OLED screen is so much better than the 3DS it's not even funny.

Considering how SMT IV had unecessary social trash and fashion-conscious characters in it, this aspect will only be maximized.

^ Top  
  9. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah the 3D sucks but to me the platform's as good as the games on it. 3DS seems to be a worthy successor to the NDS at least as far as dungeon crawlers and turn-based JRPGs go, so I'm happy with my purchase.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    This.

What use is that Sony has better hardware in its handheld when the games are either shit or re-releases.

^ Top  
  11. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    The only thing I dislike about the 3DS is that I don't own one. As soon as Nintendo fixes this, I'm 100% for a P5 on 3DS. :roll:

^ Top  
  12. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    The library is getting much better as Japanese developers adopt it, you know if you're a gamer it's going to be well worth it to get one.

^ Top  
  13. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    I'm actually looking forward to social decline shit; 4 was a fantastic experience with lots of bros. :yosukehugs:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    It will be worth it to get one when they drop the proprietary memory, or someone makes a micro-SD adapter. Also most of the Japanese games will NEVER come out in the west due to their subject matter.

^ Top  
  15. Fat Dragon Arbiter

Fat Dragon
    They still haven't even announced this game yet? Wasn't Persona 4 released way back in 2008? What's the persona team been doing all that time? I find it hard to believe all those PSP ports they've been doing took 5 years.

Kind of interested in this, Persona 4 was decent but the character writing could use some work. I disliked how most of the social link characters seemed incapable of even wiping their own ass without the protagonist there to hold their hand. The social link mechanic has a lot of potential, they can do better than waste it on otaku waifu pandering.

^ Top  
  16. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    There's no denying you shouldn't use video game characters as substitutes for real life, but "Social Links" are the sort of mechanic that makes games a different sort of medium from novels; the ability for the audience to explore characters and their conflicts based on their personal willingness to get emotionally involved with them.

^ Top  
  17. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    Probably a PS3/PS4 game.

VITA graphics are almost as bad as 3DS graphics, so I don't see how your argument has weight.

You have a point about the controller, though.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    ^ Top  
  18. Krraloth Liturgist Patron

Krraloth
    Wasteland 2
    I know that, but that's the direction they went for with 3 and 4, it's unlikely they'd step back since it is obvious by the fan reaction how much the s.link system made the world go fanboy

^ Top  
  19. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    They made Catherine.

^ Top  
  20. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Dear Sega,

make them release a PC version. If they decline, shut them down.

Thanks

^ Top  
  21. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    They can keep the Persona games on consoles, thank you very much. Now, about the next SMT game proper...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    On a somewhat related note, I really hope Ubisoft's M&MX becomes successful enough for publishers to realize there is a market for turn- and grid-based dungeon crawlers on the PC - a niche market for sure, but still profitable enough. Fingers crossed.

^ Top  
  23. Fat Dragon Arbiter

Fat Dragon
    I think Grimrock already did that, it's probably what helped convince Ubi to take another shot with M&M. It solder over 600k copies, I believe. But yeah, it becoming successful too would further reaffirm that the genre is still profitable.

^ Top  
  24. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    [​IMG]

Another teaser that shows nothing.

"You are slave, want emancipation?"

This is embarrassing, couldn't have they shown it to anyone at their US offices?

^ Top  
  25. meanwhileInPoland Arcane

meanwhileInPoland
    only on ps3
    :yeah:

that Nintendofags butthurt
    :yeah:

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)