Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Avellion

Erudite
Well, I can agree that the dungeon crawling really outstayed its welcome, although I thought the combat was good.
The combat in P4 certainly beats the combat in Final Fantasy, that is for sure. At least In P4 I do something other than attack and heal when hurt.

Declinator

Arbiter
Well, I can agree that the dungeon crawling really outstayed its welcome, although I thought the combat was good.
The combat in P4 certainly beats the combat in Final Fantasy, that is for sure. At least In P4 I do something other than attack and heal when hurt.
I think you are forgetting something
20070303210048!Ramza_Icon.JPG

Avellion

Erudite

I think you are forgetting something
20070303210048!Ramza_Icon.JPG
That game should never be lumped in the same category like crap such as FFX, FFVIII and FFXIII.

So while that game has Final Fantasy in the name, it doesnt count, it wouldnt be fair to FFT to lump it in the same category as the previously mentioned titles.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
http://www.shacknews.com/article/86064/persona-5-also-coming-to-playstation-4

P5 also coming to PS4. 2015 release for Japan.

That should make, at least technically speaking, an XBO release in the West possible too. And where there is an XBO version, there can also be a PC version...

Persona 5 would kill on digital platforms and is the eventual destiny of it and all other major JRPG franchises. Atlus doesn't seem to be in a rush to lose their leverage with Sony, however.

Machocruz

Arcane
Call me popamole, but one thing I don't like about Persona 4 is not being able to buy enough decent SP recovery items and having to leave the dungeon when my SP runs out. I'm still early in the game and I've read that this becomes less of a problem after the 3rd or 4th dungeon, but right now it's an annoyance. Doesn't help that I worry about the day advancing when I leave a dungeon without clearing it, but I feel like I'm going to miss out on stuff if I let a couple days go by without doing a job or Social Link event.

Grinolf

Arcane
Call me popamole, but one thing I don't like about Persona 4 is not being able to buy enough decent SP recovery items and having to leave the dungeon when my SP runs out. I'm still early in the game and I've read that this becomes less of a problem after the 3rd or 4th dungeon, but right now it's an annoyance. Doesn't help that I worry about the day advancing when I leave a dungeon without clearing it, but I feel like I'm going to miss out on stuff if I let a couple days go by without doing a job or Social Link event.

You could farm SP recovery items from chests in the previous dungeon. And you have enough spare time to clear first one in two days (well, with three, if iclude the first boss fight where you froced to leave it). It also isn't critical too clear second dungeon in two days, since it is the most annoying one in the entire game. From third or fourth dungeon you get the ability to recover SP inside the dungeon for money.

Machocruz

Arcane
You could farm SP recovery items from chests in the previous dungeon. And you have enough spare time to clear first one in two days (well, with three, if iclude the first boss fight where you froced to leave it). It also isn't critical too clear second dungeon in two days, since it is the most annoying one in the entire game. From third or fourth dungeon you get the ability to recover SP inside the dungeon for money.

I'm in the bathhouse, which I believe is the third dungeon. I had to leave and come back because I couldn't afford the fee to recover SP, so this will be a two day dungeon for me. Nocturne handled resource management much better, and it's the more challenging game. The way they do it in this game just annoys me. I have the persona that lets you recover SP, but I won't get that ability until it levels up one time.

Grinolf

Arcane
I'm in the bathhouse, which I believe is the third dungeon. I had to leave and come back because I couldn't afford the fee to recover SP, so this will be a two day dungeon for me. Nocturne handled resource management much better, and it's the more challenging game. The way they do it in this game just annoys me. I have the persona that lets you recover SP, but I won't get that ability until it levels up one time.

I didn't count the first area as a proper dungeon, so when I spoke about the second one I meant Bathhouse. And apparently I missremembered some things, since guiede says that NPC, that recover SP, should be already unlocked at this stage, even if it is pretty costly at a moment.
And as I already wrote, it isn't a big deal to clear Bathhouse in two days instead of one, since in further dungeons SP would be much less an issue. Still I managed to clear it in one day. The thing there, that after you clear the current dungeon until the first boss, the previous dungeon, except the new boss, cease to pose any challenge at all. So you could clear it a two or three times very fast in order to get money from mobs and SP recovery from chests and then continue to clear the current dungeon. It's true for all dungeons except castle, but it was only Bathhouse, where I find a need to do it.
Also I think, that it possible to clear a Castle in one day, but there you don't have a previous dungeon or NPC, that recovers SP, so I don't think it's worth spending time on and one day isn't a big deal.

Martius

Liturgist
Releasing games on other than sony platforms sounds great but lets remember that Atlus is pretty small studio. I doubt they have enough people and resources to work on so many platforms. Maybe we would see that later but I dont think there are big chances for that. Now I just wonder how they will release next games, still crossgen, only ps3/4 or mixed platforms?
Oh, since they are going "nextgen" so fast when we will see Shin Megami Tensei X on xbox one?

Grinolf

Arcane
Yeah, I was in a hurry to move forward, so I didn't take time to farm items. My fault.
You should still clear a previous dungeon at least once, before advansing deep into a new one, since there would be a new boss each time, that give you a good weapon and a courage boost. As far as I remember, only Castle one in pretty tough and it isn't a good idea to challenge him before you ready to challenge Kanji himself. But other ones should be somewhere on the level of the first bosses of you current dungeon.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, I was in a hurry to move forward, so I didn't take time to farm items. My fault.

To elaborate on that, there is a Shrine on main street where you can social link up with a Fox (Hermit Social Link). The Fox will show up at party selection in the Midnight Channel and heal your health and mana for money, with costs increasing the more frequently you return from the dungeon to get healed. However, increasing your social link with the Fox will offset those costs; a filled out bar should result in no cost.

Machocruz

Arcane
I know about the Fox social link. I did two of his quests. Shit was still expensive as helll, and I knew there was probably going to be better gear in the shop, which is also expensive. I'm done with that dungeon anyway. Boss was not as hard as I was told, just takes a while.

I tried to take on the optional boss in Yukiko's castle before hand, to get a good weapon. He killed me three times. If I had more than one revival item we could have smashed. Every party member is crucial (which is good design, imo), so if one goes down and you have no items, that's pretty much a wrap.

But that's enough about Persona past. I'm keen on seeing what improvements and changes they make for 5. Give me the equivalent of Persona 2 with S.Link and some interesting dungeon design, and I'll be satisfied. Bring back the character designer from 1, 2 and SMT1-3, and I'll
:d1p:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What was so good in Persona 2?

I managed to play like 10 hrs and quit because I couldn't stand the amount of equally boring encounters, the fights were every 5 seconds.

P3 had a lot of filler combat too, but the social element was stronger and I loved the game. P4 was top notch.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
I really hope P5 is darker in tone, it seems like it, but its too early to tell.
Persona 4 was fucking great, what are you talking about?
The idea behind Persona 3 and 4 is decent, but so far I found the execution of those games to be rather... sloppy. Biggest issue I had with P4 was the dungeon crawling, especially after just having played a certain other Atlus game that handled dungeon crawling and combat so much better (SMT: Nocturne)
P4 had very good gameplay for a story fag game: dem boss battles and you could actually get annihilated and loose 30 minutes worth of progress to a random battle against same level enemies (if you happen to fuck up and/or they have null/drain or worst of all, reflect immunities and nasty spells/spell combinations). You don't see the that kind of stuff in Bioware&Final Fantasy games or even more esteemed games like PST/Arcanum/Fallout.

Though if that's not good enough for you, there's always SMT X FE coming up.

Avellion

Erudite
I really hope P5 is darker in tone, it seems like it, but its too early to tell.
The idea behind Persona 3 and 4 is decent, but so far I found the execution of those games to be rather... sloppy. Biggest issue I had with P4 was the dungeon crawling, especially after just having played a certain other Atlus game that handled dungeon crawling and combat so much better (SMT: Nocturne)
P4 had very good gameplay for a story fag game: dem boss battles and you could actually get annihilated and loose 30 minutes worth of progress to a random battle against same level enemies (if you happen to fuck up and/or they have null/drain or worst of all, reflect immunities and nasty spells/spell combinations). You don't see the that kind of stuff in Bioware&Final Fantasy games or even more esteemed games like PST/Arcanum/Fallout.

I beat most battles just default attacking everything to death (conserved SP to use on each dungeon's boss, and physical immune foes), and going by the party members who joined after each dungeon, I was typically underlevelled by quite a bit (undergeared too since I did each dungeon in one fell swoop). The only 2 bosses that were any real obstacles were Shadow Teddie (almost bored me to death) and that optional boss in Yukiko's castle (rampage could instakill protagonist).

Still, Boss fights were fun despite the lack of difficulty. Since I went all out on them.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Dungeon crawling tends to be a war of attrition. Most battles are default attack spamming, but every once in awhile you'll come across a group of enemies that'll hit one of your guys weakness (or absorb your attack and end your turn)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am a little amused at you complaining about the difficulty when you clearly didn't play on Hard.

Avellion

Erudite
I am a little amused at you complaining about the difficulty when you clearly didn't play on Hard.
I wasn't complaining about the difficulty. I was complaining about the poorly thought out dungeon crawling mechanics, especially when it came to skill usage and SP management. I dont even remember myself being this conservative with spell usage in RPGs with aging mechanics (a mechanic I like, since it prevents rest abuse).

I didn't play on hard, because I heard that difficulty setting only dragged the dungeon crawling experience more than it already did (and I already heard the horror stories of the TV world and decided to wanting to be done with that as soon as possible). I played on Normal instead hoping for a balance between not being too easy and dungeons dragging on for too long. I did regret playing only on normal roughly halfway through, but I told myself, no way I am going through Shadow Teddie again.

Edit: I do realized I am biased against Persona 4, having played SMT: Nocturne just right before. So a lot of my dissatisfaction from P4's gameplay most likely stems from the fact that I feel that the dungeon crawling wasnt nearly as good. I still acknowledge it as better than any mainline Final Fantasy or any BioWare game that isn't Baldur's Gate 2.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have always hesitated to crank up the difficulty in Persona 3 & 4 because I'm always terrified that I'm not leveling fast enough and that I'll end up in an impossible situation because I'm a complete storyfag.
I suppose keeping a save after the defeat of the previous boss could somewhat prevent that problem should this happen.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Speaking about difficulty, I was amused when I found out that P4 Golden has a god mode.

Machocruz

Arcane
What was so good in Persona 2?
Nothing was so good, but I prefer how it did certain things. Tone and art, mostly. I preferJRPGs to have a straightforward structure; I can take or leave the whole days and schedules thing that 3 and 4 have.

I beat most battles just default attacking everything to death (conserved SP to use on each dungeon's boss, and physical immune foes), and going by the party members who joined after each dungeon, I was typically underlevelled by quite a bit (undergeared too since I did each dungeon in one fell swoop). The only 2 bosses that were any real obstacles were Shadow Teddie (almost bored me to death) and that optional boss in Yukiko's castle (rampage could instakill protagonist).

Still, Boss fights were fun despite the lack of difficulty. Since I went all out on them.

Default attacks seemed weak to me, so I thought you were intended to use Personas most of the time. And yes, I always have the best weapons available for whatever point I'm at, still seemed weak. But I suppose sticking with melee attacks when viable and only using SP for healing would save on the restorative items you need.

Avellion

Erudite
Default attacks seemed weak to me, so I thought you were intended to use Personas most of the time. And yes, I always have the best weapons available for whatever point I'm at, still seemed weak. But I suppose sticking with melee attacks when viable and only using SP for healing would save on the restorative items you need.
They are weak, but on normal they are still more than enough to kill the trash.

I forgot to mention that once Rise learns Relaxing Wave, SP consumption becomes a whole lot less of an issue. So once that skill came around, I found myself using a lot more personas. But that was too little too late.

I have always hesitated to crank up the difficulty in Persona 3 & 4 because I'm always terrified that I'm not leveling fast enough and that I'll end up in an impossible situation because I'm a complete storyfag.
I suppose keeping a save after the defeat of the previous boss could somewhat prevent that problem should this happen.

It's irrelevant. JRPGs are only geared towards a simple strategy of hit the enemy's weakness/use buffs on your dudes and pray that the enemy doesn't have an instalkill spell. Oh, and grind like a drone.

Positioning, picking and combining traits in party level progression...these things are unknown. The grind is all that matters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom