Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Dorarnae

Arbiter
i'm enjoying persona 5 quite a bit, though it is definitely way more linear than any previous entry. as a character, i think Morgana is much better than the equivalent ones from P3 and P4 (especially much better than the one from P4), and it's not the character's fault the designers made the game as linear as possible in order to sell more units.

overall morgana was better, but him becoming a van in that stupid labyrinth(forgot the name but really hated that place) :S

Silva

Arcane
i'm enjoying persona 5 quite a bit, though it is definitely way more linear than any previous entry. as a character, i think Morgana is much better than the equivalent ones from P3 and P4 (especially much better than the one from P4)
Wut? There's no equivalent to cancer Morgana in P3.

Deflowerer

Arcane
also the redheaded chick being introduced in catherine full body is a tranny/otonoko.

Has not been confirmed.

Whatever helps you fap at night tho.

And I guess the SJW meltdown would be glorious to see, so let's hope she's a trap.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
this joke is stolen and i have to say it because i feel bad about stealing it but i thought it was p. lulzy

"i play my otonoko card"

also, i found out there's a patch for ps2 iso of persona 3: fes that allows full party control.

I've lost plenty of respect for Persona series once I've found it's just Jojo's rip off (Stardust Crusaders arc).

Damn, Atlus should made Jojo's RPG witih Persona / SMT mechanics - ' Megami Ibunroku Sutando' sounds badass!

Vorark

Erudite
Full party control was never needed in P3.

I see someone never suffered or was lucky with Mitsuru's fucking Marin Karin spam when you needed an ice spell or healing, despite choosing the appropriate tactic.

Never forget
nqqlj8.jpg

Dorarnae

Arbiter
dunno, never really had problem in persona 3, just need to know how to play around with tactic...

deama

Prophet
I played Persona portable and thought it was meh, is P5 noticebly better than persona portable?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yes, it is. i left both p3 and p4 at around halfway marks both because they got boring, but i've already sunk 17 hours into p5 over the course of 3 days, which for me is a LOT of playtime for something like this. It's probably the first JRPG in years that i've actually sat down to play seriously and plan on finishing.

I mean mechanically it's the same ole shit as p3 and p4 except with much, much more polish (and much more hand-holding as well), but the story and the characters are just way more interesting than the ones in the previous games. (for me anyway, as i know that as soon as i post this msg others will chime in to say they are terrible compared to p3 and p4 casts, etc, and that is obviously fine). i find myself much more engaged with p5 for mixed reasons but TLDR is that it's just extremely well polished, and it has great presentation and visual flair and i find the english dub to be excellent to boot.

Falksi

Arcane
yes, it is. i left both p3 and p4 at around halfway marks both because they got boring, but i've already sunk 17 hours into p5 over the course of 3 days, which for me is a LOT of playtime for something like this. It's probably the first JRPG in years that i've actually sat down to play seriously and plan on finishing.

I mean mechanically it's the same ole shit as p3 and p4 except with much, much more polish (and much more hand-holding as well), but the story and the characters are just way more interesting than the ones in the previous games. (for me anyway, as i know that as soon as i post this msg others will chime in to say they are terrible compared to p3 and p4 casts, etc, and that is obviously fine). i find myself much more engaged with p5 for mixed reasons but TLDR is that it's just extremely well polished, and it has great presentation and visual flair and i find the english dub to be excellent to boot.

Same here with Persona 3 (haven't played 4)

I loved so much about it - the vibe, the characters, the music, even the combat (I actually thought the AI controlled companions added a nice element of unpredictability to it).

But the repetitive structure & dungeons meant the story had to carry it a lot, and it just moved SO slowly that after about 20-25 hours I gave up. Tried again at a later date, but nah, still dragged.

Good to hear 5 is better. Will definitely try it at some point.

Silva

Arcane
Good to hear 5 is better.
I wouldn't say so. P5 has better story than P3, but it's way more text-expositive and more constrained in its gameplay (that cat), and eventually gets repetitive all the same.

In the end, the two games have distinct pros and cons, but their cons were so awful to me that I couldn't finish neither, even if I loved their pros. I still don't understand how these game are so praised, to be honest. The worst Soulsborne game put these games to shame.

deama

Prophet
Good to hear 5 is better.
I wouldn't say so. P5 has better story than P3, but it's way more text-expositive and more constrained in its gameplay (that cat), and eventually gets repetitive all the same.

In the end, the two games have distinct pros and cons, but their cons were so awful to me that I couldn't finish neither, even if I loved their pros. I still don't understand how these game are so praised, to be honest. The worst Soulsborne game put these games to shame.
Hmm, sounds like I might not enjoy it then. Either way I'll give it a go next year or so, when the ps3 emulator gets better.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Just finished it. Rig could barely run the emulator and had a couple of annoying freezes lategame, including one right after final boss, but I ain't getting a console for one game.
Massive improvement to Persona 4 with non-randomized dungeons, better fusion mechanics and enemies being demons instead of generic shadows. Played on normal, I know it's too easy, but I really dislike attrition and the thought of having to use more than minimum amount of days for Palaces solely because of SP irritated me too much. Enemy encounters could've used more foes with no weaknesses and I didn't see a reason to use non-stat debuffs. I wish they'd ditch the all out attack and just expanded baton pass, but since it's not a mainline game it'll be style over substance. Speaking of style, the game looks absolutely gorgeus and the visual design doesn't have anything that would seem to age badly. Pacing issues with story, the really slow start and sacrificing the first week of every arc for non-interactive story segments were probably the biggest offenders. Strangely enough, even though there was tons of unnecessary text I didn't find it boring to follow, with most of it being pieces of dialogue stating the obvious instead of multiple paragraphs of lore dumps. I did like the overall plot with the flashback structure and all, even though some aspects like the obvious identity of the traitor and one dimensional main villain left lot to be desired.

Vorark

Erudite
Does the game get better about the hand holding? It's the main reason I have yet to finish the first dungeon.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's like GTA. There's handholding when there is a new mechanic.

Eventually, there aren't anymore new mechanics. I don't remember any great deal of it past the first dungeon in which it makes sense for new players, and then briefly again when introducing the mission system or new fuse mechanics.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Does the game get better about the hand holding? It's the main reason I have yet to finish the first dungeon.

I think you get more free reign once Ann gets her Persona.
Every arc begins with a basically non-interactive story portion. They usually last for a week in game time, it's basically one big cutscene where the only thing you can do is saving on your room in the night. When you get a "mission start" prompt you start a 3 week ingame segment where you have to finish the palace and where you can do what you want on daytime and nightime. I'd suggest doing the palaces ASAP, because clearing them can require 3-5 days minimum depending on the place in question.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I mean, define handholding? If we're talking about constant story interludes, of course that doesn't ever stop. I thought the term referred only to gameplay tutorials or, in a broader sense, to characters instructing your gameplay.

Vorark

Erudite
I thought the term referred only to gameplay tutorials or, in a broader sense, to characters instructing your gameplay.

Yes, that's what I meant.

I want to explore the city and dungeons at my own pace, take on enemies without being interrupted by tutorials. Persona 3 would just let you do whatever you wanted between the full moon events without bogging you down with constant guidance. Wanna raise stats, develop you s-links, climb Tartarus? No problem, do as you please. I think Persona 4 was also like this, don't remember it well.

Loaded up my save and seems I'm about to fight the boss of the first palace.

GarlandExCon

Arcane

For the most part you're free to roam and do your thing eventually, but it is a Persona game so if the game wants to direct you, it will.

Silva

Arcane
Is there an option somewhere to skip the post battle animation? Or at least put it in a single static screen?

I'm trying to come back to this game but, man, having to watch those repetitive animations a hundred times per dungeon is making my sanity meter drop at an alarming rate.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom