Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I was hoping for a PC port for Persona 5

:negative:

Terra

Cipher
I was hoping for a PC port for Persona 5

:negative:
Too soon for that yet, you'll need to wait for an enhanced remaster of P5 for Japan, ala FES/Golden. Then and only then will the original version of the game stand a chance of getting a PC port.

Falksi

Arcane
I found PS3 brilliant in terms of vibe, I even enjoyed the combat, but it was real slog in terms of plot pacing and day to day activities.

Is PS5 any better in that respect? Does the day to day living actually have anything of any real interest?

cosmicray

Savant
P3 and P4 had more/better field trips. Honestly, I haven't analyzed it properly to be sure, but P4 and P5 are comparable in day-to-day activities. P5 probably has more variety in terms of where to go and when, but basically it's not vastly different. But the jump from P3 to P5 should be quite jarring in terms of enhanced non-dungeon activity. I don't remember, but didn't you have like only 1 area available in the evening in P3? Yeah, P5 totally blows it out of the water.

Vorark

Erudite
"Announcement of the announcement of the real announcement, we swear!" ~ Atlus circa December.

Falksi

Arcane
Cheers chaps. Really wish I had it in me to finish P3 because it has some really cool shit in it, but it just bores the tits off me to slog through. Thrive on the battle theme though.

Vorark

Erudite
Cheers chaps. Really wish I had it in me to finish P3 because it has some really cool shit in it, but it just bores the tits off me to slog through. Thrive on the battle theme though.

Did you try the PSP version? It turns the game into a visual novel and streamlines a bunch of shit but things are sped up compared to vanilla P3 and FES.

Falksi

Arcane

Did you try the PSP version? It turns the game into a visual novel and streamlines a bunch of shit but things are sped up compared to vanilla P3 and FES.

Nah, just the PS2 version mate. I've had enough of it now tbh, as I've tried to play through it 3 times, but just get bored after 15-20 hours.

Puukko

Arcane
I'm a few hours into this and it's quite captivating so far. I just finished DDS1, 2 and Nocturne and this is my first real attempt at Persona (save for spending like an hour on P4 at one point) and I really dig the visual design so far. The early game seems sparse in the combat front but I suppose after Nocturne this is a nice change of pace. It emulates okay though with a wildly varying framerate and pretty bad pop-in.

Puukko

Arcane
In the second palace now and I am confident I'll stick with this game. The balance between dungeon crawling/combat and socializing seems just about 50/50 which is fine, though at least for the time being the social bits are quite heavily on rails - it seems you're the most free inbetween investigations, other times it's "do X, have Morgana tell you to go to bed". I'm a sucker for games where you live a double life/have a hidden identity - it's one of the things I loved most about VTMB, so I actually care about these characters and building the Thieves while trying to be an honest student on the side.

Hard mode is one of the more engaging ones in a while - the extra damage you take means a game over is just one unlucky crit away at all times, so you really want to exploit weaknesses and incapacitate the particularly dangerous enemies where possible. Dungeon design is very solid and the game continues the trend of treating SP/mana as a precious resource that shouldn't be squandered.

It's also really nice to see these demons from the PS2 games I just played return in HD, really brings out the life in them and I look forward to gathering as many of the ones I had a special relationship with in those games, either as reliable allies or memorable bosses. Already got my eyes on Matador, and hopefully Lucifer if I get that high level. I've got all the DLC which gives me access to strong personas regardless of level, but I'll treat them like any persona and restrict myself to only using them when level appropriate. The costumes change the battle BGM which is nice since it mixes things up a bit.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

Huh, I thought the PSP version was a port? Does it really change the game that much? Also what's FES?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Huh, I thought the PSP version was a port? Does it really change the game that much? Also what's FES?
In Persona 3 Portable, you get direct control of all characters. There's no town exploration. It's done via menus. There's a female protag option. My favorite version of the game.

Persona 3 FES[edit]
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (ペルソナ3フェス Perusona Surī Fesu) is an add-on disc for Persona 3 containing updates to the original game, as well as a new epilogue in which the player controls Aigis. FES was released in Japan on April 19, 2007, as both a stand-alone game, and with the "director's cut" version of Persona 3. Overseas, the combined edition was published in North America by Atlus U.S.A. on April 22, 2008, and in Europe by Koei on October 17, 2008.[citation needed] According to the game's director, Katsura Hashino, the subtitle "Fes" is derived from the word "festival".[129] This version of the game was re-released as a PS2 Classic on PSN for the PS3 in 2012. Players of the original Persona 3 are given the option of transferring certain data from the original version's save file, such as the player's compendium, social-related stats, and maxed Social Link items.

The expansion to Persona 3, in addition to adding new content to the main game (referred to as "The Journey", or "Episode Yourself" in the Japanese version), includes an epilogue to the original story titled "The Answer" ("Episode Aegis" in the Japanese version). The core gameplay of The Answer is similar to that of The Journey, although the Social Link system has been removed, and the player does not attend school.[44]

tet666

Augur

In Persona 3 Portable, you get direct control of all characters. There's no town exploration. It's done via menus. There's a female protag option. My favorite version of the game.

Persona 3 FES[edit]
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (ペルソナ3フェス Perusona Surī Fesu) is an add-on disc for Persona 3 containing updates to the original game, as well as a new epilogue in which the player controls Aigis. FES was released in Japan on April 19, 2007, as both a stand-alone game, and with the "director's cut" version of Persona 3. Overseas, the combined edition was published in North America by Atlus U.S.A. on April 22, 2008, and in Europe by Koei on October 17, 2008.[citation needed] According to the game's director, Katsura Hashino, the subtitle "Fes" is derived from the word "festival".[129] This version of the game was re-released as a PS2 Classic on PSN for the PS3 in 2012. Players of the original Persona 3 are given the option of transferring certain data from the original version's save file, such as the player's compendium, social-related stats, and maxed Social Link items.

The expansion to Persona 3, in addition to adding new content to the main game (referred to as "The Journey", or "Episode Yourself" in the Japanese version), includes an epilogue to the original story titled "The Answer" ("Episode Aegis" in the Japanese version). The core gameplay of The Answer is similar to that of The Journey, although the Social Link system has been removed, and the player does not attend school.[44]

FES with the Controllable Party Members mod (https://amicitia.github.io/mods/p3) is by far the best version of the game in my opinion but Portable is not that bad either i just don't really like the VN style over real cutscenes and the Answer is missing as well.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
persona 2 combat was so much more fun than later entries, including p5.

i liked doing spell combos in persona 2 a lot. hell, persona 1 combat was better than p5's simplified shtick.

Terra

Cipher
FES with the Controllable Party Members mod (https://amicitia.github.io/mods/p3) is by far the best version of the game in my opinion but Portable is not that bad either i just don't really like the VN style over real cutscenes and the Answer is missing as well.
Fuck, this is gonna be a sweet mod for my next playthrough, no more Marin Karin related bullshit deaths. Thanks.

Puukko

Arcane
One remark after having made it to the 4th palace. The game is certainly casual friendly in that it gives you plenty of tooltips to explain the mechanics of the game while otherwise largely leaving you to your own devices when it comes to stuff like leveling up skills and managing confidants, some of which are rather obtuse in the requirements to start them. However, the handholding when it comes to the puzzles is quite overbearing - it's like they think you're braindead and require the party members all but telling you how to solve them right away, when they're probably the easiest puzzles in SMT yet, which isn't exactly known for difficult puzzles to begin with. I am most definitely not a puzzle fan but I can't help but feel like they went overboard here, a minor issue it may be. Like having players get momentarily stuck had to be avoided at all costs.

Perhaps they got western game journos to playtest those parts...

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Picked it up yesterday. Even though I'm usually not a fan of weeb cartoons, I really dig the art style. Intro was nice; felt more like a music video than anything else.

Later impressions were less than stellar, though. Clunky on-engine animations, lack of gameplay and horrible combination of cultural differences/ completely different grammar/ supposedly so-so translators comboing on dialogues cooled my interest somewhat. I'm far from giving up, though, but getting through exposition-heavy beginnigns won't be easy on me.

Anyways, what I wanted to ask - how important is the time-managing aspect? How much can you loose/miss if you go around looking under every rock?

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
Anyways, what I wanted to ask - how important is the time-managing aspect? How much can you loose/miss if you go around looking under every rock?

The way it works is that every story arc starts with one week exposition period. You are railroaded during the day and have to go through dialogue and cutscenes and the only thing you can do during the night is save.
Then you have around three weeks of free time where you can go to the palace during the day or do other activities. It is adviseable to do the palace as soon as possible, as they sometimes have scripted shit that force you to leave and do things outside before you can go further, which can screw you up if you leave them on the last week.

Aside from that, time management isn't super important if you aren't aiming to max every confidant relationship.

Last edited:

Optimist

Savant
Patron

The way it works is that every story arc starts with one week exposition period. You are railroaded during the day and have to go through dialogue and cutscenes and the only thing you can do during the night is save.
Then you have around three weeks of free time where you can go to the palace during the day or do other activities. It is adviseable to do the palace as soon as possible, as they sometimes have scripted shit that force you to leave and do things outside before you can go further, which can screw you up if you leave them on the last week.

Aside from that, time management isn't super important if you aren't aiming to maxing every confidant relationship.

That's a relief. Thanks!

cosmicray

Savant
Maxing every confidant isn't very hard if you bring persona with you, as the game says. And yeah, you definitely should go to the palace/quest ASAP. I followed P3's tactic of going at the last day and screwed my time management and one confidant sadly remained at 8th rank.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
I'd say time management is important but not paramount. There's a lot of little stuff you can miss. I am a notoriously OCD when it comes to video games so I explore the shit out of things.

You'll be locked in sometimes and at the mercy of the storyline, which will advance you ahead days sometimes. If you go into one of the dungeons (palaces) than you won't be able to explore at night. You're also limited to doing certain things in one night, so once you do that thing (this includes spending time with social links) you'll be taken back to your room and can't leave and the fucking cat will tell you to go to sleep.

That said, after you beat it, there is an option to play back through without losing any stats, items, etc. so you can do things you didn't have time to do. You won't be able to do everything or max out all your social links the first time around AND do everything else.

VERY VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to finish the dungeons and try to go ahead and finish them up about 3 or 4 days BEFORE the deadlines. There's this BS concept called a "calling card" that they don't explain well and you need an extra day to do that before you can go fight to boss in each dungeon. This requires leaving the dungeon and going back the following day. But they don't explain this until you fight the first boss so if you gave yourself a day thinking you were safe only to have to exit and go back in you'd get fucked. This happened to me. You die and you are reverted back to a WEEK before, erasing any gains you made during that time.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
So, what I'm getting out of this is: focus on the main quest, than screw around with side content, until another main thingy appears due to time progressing?

I played for another two-three hours, and while I feel like I still don't have enough time under my belt to formulate an opinion on the game, I'm happy I finally got to do anything other than listening to tutorials and going forward.

I wonder where does this fondness for overly slow-burning tutorial intros, which dump a mechanic after a mechanic on you come from.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom