Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Deflowerer

Arcane
BEHOLD THE POWER OF MY MAGIC.

Terra

Cipher
Atlus merely need to ignore the worthless scum calling for censorship on ResetEra and enjoy even greater profits.

Tangentially, I'm not a lawyer but we're starting to see some legal pushback against these fuckwits with the likes of Vic Mignogna's defamation lawsuit, is there any similar way for companies to defend against similar brigading from these groups on the likes of Twitter & Era?

P5S is Persona 5 Musou by Koei Tecmo, for PS4 and Switch:

I'd be on board if we got to use the Demifiend. But that won't happen. Probably won't even have the Persona 3 protag playable.

What it really needs...

featuring-dante-png-4.png

These spinoff games usually have some P3 and P4 characters in them.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
what ever happened to SMT V anyway? they announced it 2 years ago or something and nothing is ever heard since. but i kinda doubt it will be like nocturne or even strange journey because atlus only make dating sim now

Readher

Savant
Don't expect anything PC-related to come directly from Atlus and at a Japaenese event at that. The branch of Sega responsible for all PC releases (except for PSO) including ports of games made by their Japanese studios is Sega of Europe. They have a separate division called Searchlight whose sole purpose is scouting studios for acquisition or partnership for porting purposes. If we get Atlus game on PC, the announcement will come from them (most likely at E3 or by a stealth drop).

Keep in mind that PC is an option in both JP and USA Atlus surveys since last year (it used to be a write-in). Since then we got Catherine Classic, the first Atlus game on PC ever in the West (PC version of P1 was Japan-only), and Sega EU has been porting Yakuza to PC like crazy. I'm inclined to say we're on a good track. Maybe not this year, but I'd be surprised if we don't get anything from Atlus on PC in 2020.

Puukko

Arcane
Well, the trailer was largely just reused assets from what I remember so they probably didn't have much done. Though Atlus doesn't strike me as the type of company to let projects drag on.

Readher

Savant
We'll get Noctrune
the first one, not even the Ultimate Maniax version (the Director's Cut)

They'd really have to go out of their way since the original didn't release in the West (neither did Chronicle). I wouldn't mind getting ports of SMT3, DDS and Raidou though. Just make them great with unlocked framerate, proper widescreen etc. and you have my money.

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
what ever happened to SMT V anyway? they announced it 2 years ago or something and nothing is ever heard since. but i kinda doubt it will be like nocturne or even strange journey because atlus only make dating sim now
They decided to publish SMTV first for the PC. So they had to ditch what they have developed for the switch so far and start from scratch for the PC.

Puukko

Arcane
Getting close towards the end though there's still time for me to try and max at least a couple confidants plus the last bit of Mementos. Shido was a good boss fight that really tested my endurance - I went in unprepared with only one SP recovery item + adhesives and no revivals, so I really had to keep Morgana alive so he could rez people. Ended up finishing him using phys repel as well as Ardha's enduring soul with only Joker alive and with barely any SP. Took me over 40 minutes. Arguably tougher than Lucifer in Nocturne, though granted that's not the most fair comparison as I am playing on hard in this game, so everything hurts like hell.

Some thoughts about where they took Akechi...
It's really quite disappointing that they went with the power of friendship shtick, and made it extra egregious to boot. Akechi was clearly a very intelligent and capable teenager who maintained a carefully created public image... Just to act out deeply irrational revenge motives while giving deranged speeches about never being loved or wanted and spouting the usual inanities about WHO EVEN NEEDS FRIENDS until he's then ready to die for you after you beat his sorry ass twice when he's already "killed" you once and tried to repeat it twice. Now, I did hate him enough to look forward to beating his ass and in the end couldn't be that mad at him since he was just another cog in a larger plan, but I'm sure they could've come up with something more original. I mean, him "killing" Joker was a very elaborate ruse along with the whole bit about the team knowing he was going to betray them all along, so having that all end in cliches was just anticlimactic.

Puukko

Arcane
Completed the game. Those 100h estimates were lowballing it - it took me just over a month with ~160-170h played, kind of difficult to tell as there's inevitably some fluff on the ingame timer.

Needless to say, with that kind of a time investment, I wouldn't have seen the game to completion had I not liked it. I went it with very modest expectations after having just completed Nocturne. I really did not even consider playing 5 initially, but settled on it on a whim, and I can only offer outstanding praise with minor complaints.

Storywise, I enjoyed the overarching plot. It had a good amount of twists along with a major case of figuring out the real puppet master as the conspiracy thickened. I had been spoiled to some rather major plot points, regarding the real culprit as well as the final boss' identity, but I don't think that really had a negative impact on my enjoyment of the story. The final boss had a major case of the power of friendship turned up to 11, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it.

In terms of characters, a few favorites stand out. Despite maxing out Ryuji's SL early on, Yusuke turned out to be my true bro, and the most common member of my party. He had a nice mix of eccentricity without lulsorandumbness, passion, personal struggles and reliability. Makoto was perhaps my favorite of the younger girls, as she made real efforts to break out of her shell and stop being a robot, so she was relatable on top of being mature. I struggled between romancing Takemi and Kawakami for a good while, but in the end was hot for teacher and got feels instead. I don't know if any other girl could hope to match her. Her SL benefits were also handy in fighting the toughest boss in this game, the time management.

More often than not, I found myself a tad frustrated at being forced to spend my time ineffectively. Morgana breathing down on my neck to sleep and trying to scrape together skills to start all the confidants while the clock ticked wasn't exactly satisfying. Requiring 4 or even 5 in a skill to even start a SL was too much imo, and I never managed to get properly started with Futaba or Haru. I did max a decent number of them, but certainly wish I could have done more.

Tying the confidants to tangible combat and dungeoneering benefits worked well which gave a lot of extra incentive to work on them. This brought good variety to the combat as it wasn't just cut-and-dry PTB. On the topic, I believe playing on Hard was absolutely the correct choice. The first dungeon was really tough, after which it got somewhat easier for a couple palaces, until going up in difficulty again. The end of the seventh palace was when the devs clearly wanted to punish you by first forcing you to fight 3 bosses in a row, and then Shido himself who took twice as long as any other boss before him. That palace was also incredibly long, though I suppose that is fitting for something intended to be a quasi-finale. I'd say the sixth was my favorite overall, due to lack of padding, story reasons, the theme and variety of tasks you had to complete.

I don't think Shori Meguro's great work on the soundtrack needs to be mentioned as he has quickly gained a spot in my list of favorite composers. Lyn's voice went excellently with the overall aesthetics of the game with Rivers in the Desert standing out in particular.

And with all that... I still am not all that interested in getting into 3 or 4. I'm somewhat concerned that they'll end up disappointing me after 5 set the bar so high. I'll probably get back into mainline for now, and hopefully return to fight the twins in NG+ at some point.

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Yes.

The vanilla release. :lol:

Haha! Totally cool with that, honestly. Whatever it takes to start getting SMT games on PC.

But the vanilla version is already perfectly playable on the PC...

To get the full picture, I think that all the SMTs and their RPG spin-offs are already playable on a PC, the only exceptions are Persona 4 Golden, this P5R and that other microtransaction thing for the smartphones (I don't remember the name and I am to lazy to google it). Am I forgetting something?

Jinn

Arcane
But the vanilla version is already perfectly playable on the PC.

The point is less about what we have access to now and more about what we'll have access to in the future. Consoles are going to continue getting made and emulation will always be behind the curve, so what I'd like is to one day be able to play a SMT game at release (or shortly thereafter) and watch the tears of rage stream down the cheeks of the console crowd.

Beyond that, not really too into piracy in this day and age. I'd rather pay the money for games I like to see released. I just don't want to have to buy an obsolete piece of equipment to do so.

flyingjohn

Arcane
But the vanilla version is already perfectly playable on the PC.

The point is less about what we have access to now and more about what we'll have access to in the future. Consoles are going to continue getting made and emulation will always be behind the curve, so what I'd like is to one day be able to play a SMT game at release (or shortly thereafter) and watch the tears of rage stream down the cheeks of the console crowd.

Beyond that, not really too into piracy in this day and age. I'd rather pay the money for games I like to see released. I just don't want to have to buy an obsolete piece of equipment to do so.
The switch emulator will probably be able to play smt v at release considering the game will take years to make.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Like Persona 5 SMTV will probably come out after Nintendo announced Switch 2 or something

cosmicray

Savant
On the topic, I believe playing on Hard was absolutely the correct choice. The first dungeon was really tough, after which it got somewhat easier for a couple palaces, until going up in difficulty again. The end of the seventh palace was when the devs clearly wanted to punish you by first forcing you to fight 3 bosses in a row, and then Shido himself who took twice as long as any other boss before him. That palace was also incredibly long, though I suppose that is fitting for something intended to be a quasi-finale. I'd say the sixth was my favorite overall, due to lack of padding, story reasons, the theme and variety of tasks you had to complete.
I think the hardest palace for me was 5th(the bank)*. I don't remember why, but I remember I was pushing and pushing and just couldn't complete it in one go(at least what I was supposed to do). I was also probably really late with it. And Hard is really the option you should start the game with, epscially when you've played other SMT games.
Damn, I should start writing similar semi-reviews on 'dex to remember anything from the games I play.

* - nope, it probably wasn't the bank or 5th dungeon. I'm not even sure which I had problem with. Damn.

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
Yeah, the difficulty on Hard was pretty sweet. Since I didn't grind at all either, it really made some of the items I had gained count in certain boss battles. Unlocking some abilities on shogi girl is godsend though from the perspective of SP management. I actually had forgotten about the fact that I got her earlier skill that allows you to switch party members (albeit only by MC) and Shido fight was particularly challenging from the perspective of having to manage SP with the 4 party members.

Puukko

Arcane
Yeah there's no way I could have beat Shido or the final boss without changing party members.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
On the topic, I believe playing on Hard was absolutely the correct choice. The first dungeon was really tough, after which it got somewhat easier for a couple palaces, until going up in difficulty again. The end of the seventh palace was when the devs clearly wanted to punish you by first forcing you to fight 3 bosses in a row, and then Shido himself who took twice as long as any other boss before him. That palace was also incredibly long, though I suppose that is fitting for something intended to be a quasi-finale. I'd say the sixth was my favorite overall, due to lack of padding, story reasons, the theme and variety of tasks you had to complete.
I think the hardest palace for me was 5th(the bank)*. I don't remember why, but I remember I was pushing and pushing and just couldn't complete it in one go(at least what I was supposed to do). I was also probably really late with it. And Hard is really the option you should start the game with, epscially when you've played other SMT games.
Damn, I should start writing similar semi-reviews on 'dex to remember anything from the games I play.

* - nope, it probably wasn't the bank or 5th dungeon. I'm not even sure which I had problem with. Damn.

I’d recommend hard to anyone, really even beginners. Normal isn’t difficult but neither is it easy enough so you might as well go hard.

Easy isn’t really a difficult option at all, as it gives you an automatic god mode cheat.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wouldn't recommend hard to beginners. Play normal for the regular jrpg experience. Hard requires either series experience, time or persistence, things you may not have.

BTW I'm finally coming back to this game. Took long breaks for Kingmaker and Sekiro and Bloodborne. Nice to hear the music again.

Puukko

Arcane
Starting on hard without prior SMT/JRPG experience will likely lead to frustration as Joker will likely die once or twice during the first palace out of sheer bad luck, on top of deaths caused by unpreparedness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom