Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not really the same game series anymore besides borrowing demons/spells/1-press system.

I wish Persona back to its roots. P3 is revolutionary game but how many times should we grind the pattern 'Let's learn Mathematics hard so we can became teacher's favourite pet so we can fuse fucking Beelzebub'. It's getting old.

Persona with P2 atmosphere, pure dungeon crawling, P5 mechanics and 'everyone is a wild card'... and adult cast, like in Eternal Punishment - that would be awesome.

Remove the dungeon crawling and I can agree lol.

In general the Persona now have a simulation aspect to it (increasing the social status and Social Link). The Social Link would still works regardless of theme. Heck having adult or even university level protagonists will open more Social Link concept.

Now the social status simulation is a bit hard. I guess you can still make the increase make sense in relation to your work.

And I am actually ambivalent by letting everybody a wildcard. I guess I find it interesting in Persona that the party member's Arcana and Persona has a certain theme to their character progression. Havng everybody as Wild Card would remove that.

Slaver1

Savant
I couldn't bring myself to complete it despite the nice aesthetics and solid combat system. It is a poorly paced game where 25% of written content should have ended up on the cutting room floor: far too indulgent for how wooden characterization was. Persona 3 and especially 4 are better games.

5 is too long and too easy. I mean, yes, 3 and 4 were also really long, but 5 feels too long anyway. 30 hours too long. I made it to the final, final dungeon and honestly I am bored out of my gourd. Just want it to be over.

My big problem in this one is that the social links break the game. Those Futaba abilities, as well as many of the abilities in general, just make no fight challenging. I am playing of Hard, for what's it worth, because I didn't want to grind like an idiot on the DLC difficulty.

4's still my favorite, likable cast, peppy soundtrack, just the right length, and the final boss isn't some long slogfest.

For people who have played 3 or 4, but not 5, imagine if some social link made it so that you randomly got Heat Riser on every party member. For free, just like that. Or any other -kaja buff. Or sometimes even free Focus/Concentrate on everyone, without using any turn on anyone. Ridiculous, right?

I could have easily played 5 longer.

I just wish the whole time management element of the game was deeper as they're basically one step away from a thing that's functionality pretty similar to a good Darkest Dungeon. I'm kind of hopeful that Project Re Fantasy goes deeper on the whole town time management aspect that's related to the dungeon crawling, and maybe let's you assign everyone to task as opposed to just a main character.

The game has some problems, like taking too long to open up the full game; and there's this weird thing it does around the middle for some reason where it'll skip days / turns itself for cutscenes which also skips save spots...which means you might get locked into some long bit of the game at a moment you're wanting to (and normally would have been able to) quit. So basically this games problem are it not giving you, or taking away, control you'd normally have. And yeah, it can seem a bit too easy at times.

I do wish this had the grid combat system from the first game, although from what I hear the combat in this one is better than 3 & 4.

Puukko

Arcane
Hm, I found Hard to be spot on, it never got too easy. I didn't invest into Futaba's link though since I never met the requirements. Atlus has definitely improved on the balancing front since the 90's.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Never played Persona 5 but got MC and catperson in Another Eden(and they are stupidly op at this point, because they are free 5* with their ultimate weapons given for free during quest and they both have unique "+1" ability when targeting any weakness)

OzuhO4H.png

But i wanted to ask - is this catperson is a man? Beause everyone talks about xir as being one and even description says "he". Then why his name is Morgana?

Falksi

Arcane
5 is too long and too easy. I mean, yes, 3 and 4 were also really long, but 5 feels too long anyway. 30 hours too long. I made it to the final, final dungeon and honestly I am bored out of my gourd. Just want it to be over.

My big problem in this one is that the social links break the game. Those Futaba abilities, as well as many of the abilities in general, just make no fight challenging. I am playing of Hard, for what's it worth, because I didn't want to grind like an idiot on the DLC difficulty.

4's still my favorite, likable cast, peppy soundtrack, just the right length, and the final boss isn't some long slogfest.

For people who have played 3 or 4, but not 5, imagine if some social link made it so that you randomly got Heat Riser on every party member. For free, just like that. Or any other -kaja buff. Or sometimes even free Focus/Concentrate on everyone, without using any turn on anyone. Ridiculous, right?

I couldn't bring myself to complete it despite the nice aesthetics and solid combat system. It is a poorly paced game where 25% of written content should have ended up on the cutting room floor: far too indulgent for how wooden characterization was. Persona 3 and especially 4 are better games.

These are dead on the cock end.

I've ragged in with Persona 5 now after the third palace. Frankly it's dull as fuck, and the fun to be had in the story & combat is RIDICULOUSLY in big letters watered down by the shite social link filler.

The game even fucking recognizes this with the Fast Forward button. I mean, why in God's name wouldn't they just scrap the crap, as opposed to leaving it in but letting you fast forward?

Some great moments bogged down way too much by a ton of bollocks.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I was really looking forward to playing 5, too. It's not bad, by any stretch, just... just quite a step below 4.

But this does make me want to replay 4, maybe in the enhanced edition I never played.

Falksi

Arcane
The Persona series REALLY needs an update on the whole anyway. The social link aspect needs to be WAY more interactive & all railroaded, where you can genuinely build or destroy relationships with others, each influencing arcana links in different ways.

It's basic mechanics really show it's age, and they could add some real replay-ability by allowing Acrana's to evolve based on choice.

SMT5 will probably be in the Nintendo Direct Nintendo does for when E3 would have been. And if Toyko Game Show is still happening this year we'll probably see more of it during Sega's thing. The game just entered full development in 2018.

Slaver1

Savant
It is a poorly paced game where 25% of written content should have ended up on the cutting room floor: far too indulgent for how wooden characterization was.
That is an extremely bold claim to make with that avatar.

I see your point but the Trails universe and characters therein end up being enhanced by the voluminous writing- if you have the patience for it. The writing in Persona 5 isn't good enough to do the same. It felt like Atlus never went anywhere with the majority of the cast. They nailed that aspect in Persona 4, so I was definitely expecting something better.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I finished the game today, on my first playthrough, on Hard, at 103 hours, and I absolutely hated the final few fights and the epilogue.
1) The presentation of the last two bosses is boring and hardly 'epic.' (This was also the case somewhat in 4 - but the music in 4 for the true final boss was a damn banger, with the triumphant main theme comeback.)
2) The final boss is too easy even if you don't grind; he only has one move + his adds. As long as you either keep a debuff, or a buff up, they cannot wipe you.
3) The fucking epilogue never seemed to end/
4) In Persona 4 - and I need to add that I was a good 10 years younger - I was sad to leave my 'friends' behind and say goodbye to the cast. In Persona 5, I groaned when I saw supposed to say bye and skipped all their final dialogue. I just didn't care anymore, nor did I care for any of them. Morgana can suck my dick. The only character I ended up liking in the end was Ryuji because at least he does things, and that even though everyone calls him a retard all day.
5) I don't remember thinking nearly every boss fight in the last third of the game "well, they can't kill me anyway because I can just Mediarahan every round" in Persona 4. Or 3.
I am so glad it's over; I will never touch Royal or what have you. I would be down for buying a Remaster of 1-4 though (especially 4.)

In general, I don't know if maybe 10 years ago I was just too young and dumb to care about it, but in 5 they keep talking about the same shit over and over and over. I get it. I get the message. You don't have to repeat it 500 times. It got so dull, this whole power of friendship and justice shit. It's been forever since I played 4 but I just don't remember the text grating on my as heavily as it did in this game. I don't remember aggressively skipping text out of sheer boredom in 4.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I finished the game today, on my first playthrough, on Hard, at 103 hours, and I absolutely hated the final few fights and the epilogue.
1) The presentation of the last two bosses is boring and hardly 'epic.' (This was also the case somewhat in 4 - but the music in 4 for the true final boss was a damn banger, with the triumphant main theme comeback.)
2) The final boss is too easy even if you don't grind; he only has one move + his adds. As long as you either keep a debuff, or a buff up, they cannot wipe you.
4) In Persona 4 - and I need to add that I was a good 10 years younger - I was sad to leave my 'friends' behind and say goodbye to the cast. In Persona 5, I groaned when I saw supposed to say bye and skipped all their final dialogue. I just didn't care anymore, nor did I care for any of them. Morgana can suck my dick. The only character I ended up liking in the end was Ryuji because at least he does things, and that even though everyone calls him a retard all day.
5) I don't remember thinking nearly every boss fight in the last third of the game "well, they can't kill me anyway because I can just Mediarahan every round" in Persona 4. Or 3.
I am so glad it's over; I will never touch Royal or what have you. I would be down for buying a Remaster of 1-4 though (especially 4.)

In general, I don't know if maybe 10 years ago I was just too young and dumb to care about it, but in 5 they keep talking about the same shit over and over and over. I get it. I get the message. You don't have to repeat it 500 times. It got so dull, this whole power of friendship and justice shit. It's been forever since I played 4 but I just don't remember the text grating on my as heavily as it did in this game. I don't remember aggressively skipping text out of sheer boredom in 4.

The theme is different in each Persona game. Sounds like the theme of 5 just wasn't for you. Personally it's my favorite because of the overall theme. Just imagine if we had the phantom thieves to take out our real world satanic spirit cooking politicians. I dream about stuff like that all the time so it really hit home for me. 4 had the better cast of playable characters. Yosuke is the ultimate Persona bro and Rise is the best Persona waifu (out of playable characters). 5 had better confidants though. Tae and Kawakami being my two favorites. I gotta say I hate Futaba though and I don't think there's any character in the entire series that I like less than her. She was just too stereotypical to the point of being unrealistic and most of her dialogue had me cringing hard any time I'd go out with her.

Also
How did you not like summoning Satan to put a bullet through God's skull? That was pretty awesome

Falksi

Arcane

Reading that I'm so glad I didn't persist any further. It seems as if all the problems which are there early doors only get worse.

It really is all style, little substance. Fuck knows why so many suck this game off so much.

Puukko

Arcane
I really can't agree with the complaints about the later bosses, I found them to provide a very good challenge on a blind Hard run. I don't remember the bald dude's name but I remember beating him by the skin of my teeth.

But yes, I absolutely agree that the "message" was pasted on too thick, which you wouldn't need to do if 1) it was a good message and 2) the target audience weren't teenagers (and adults who forget they're not teenagers). It really is sculpted with the teenage brain in mind - prone to stubborn black-and-whiteness, desire for vague "justice", easily subject to emotional manipulation. Compare this to 2...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
GhostCow
I get how you can find it cool or stylish but it just made me roll my eyes. I get the theme already! I realize it's a 'cool' symbolic representation but it's so awfully on the nose. I know how Japan thinks about western religion (because you kill God in basically every jRPG ever made) but it was a bit on the nose for me this, especially when I saw my approval rating was 66.6% the day after.

cruel

Cipher
In Persona 4 - and I need to add that I was a good 10 years younger - I was sad to leave my 'friends' behind and say goodbye to the cast.

Same case for me. I was almost on the verge of crying when realized that this is the goodbye. This is a mark of a very special game for me.

It's been forever since I played 4 but I just don't remember the text grating on my as heavily as it did in this game.

It wasn't. I don't remember a single time when I was annoyed by text in P4G - translation was fantastic, authentic and the game didn't treat you like an idiot. Cast was much better, tone was darker, music was better, story was better as well. But most of all - the authenticity of characters, absolutely brilliant. You can even find some bonus materials from P4G about creating Nanako charater (how it was totally redesigned, because initial plan didn't feel properly). Whoever did character design in P4 is a genius.

Persona 4 Golden - 10/10, 5 top games ever for me
Persona 5 - 7.5/10 and not more. Totally undeserved praise.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
So it's my birthday and it's also the day Persona 5 Royal releases. Every time one of these releases it's always been on my birthday, which has been pretty cool.

My girl told me she ordered the Phantom Thieves edition for me as a present and it was suppose to arrive today as a pre-order but it hasn't come yet. Boooo

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom