Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress Phanastacoria

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by MercantileInterest, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Usury Arcane

Usury
    [​IMG]

"The smell? Guess you get used to it after a while. Usually raining anyway. This is the Prosperous City. It's real name? Either Portland or Seattle. Can never remember which. Anyway, you're gonna love it. We have everything here. Absolutely everything. Daily Economic Disadvantage Alleviation Rations? Check. Seasonal Clothing Allowance? Check. Minimum basic income? Of course. And that's nothing next to the gibs. Free medical care but if you don't like lines I can connect you to some cheap trad-doctors. Cinema's free if you're below the poverty line and they hardly ever get shooters these days. What? You're living here? In the building? Incline! We're two blocks from the distro. Check if the street's clear. We'll run over there right now."

[​IMG]
    Stats run from 1-10. The number marked with an asterisk is the basic value. You have thirteen Blinkcoin (BC) to spend on character stats. These BC cannot be transferred to gear. The higher side of each bar indicates the increased stat value while the lower side shows the cost. Some fields scale differently.

Your age is somewhere around adolescent. Please list your name, race and gender. There are literally thousands of genders, so you can take any you want, with an explanation, but also list your biological gender (xx or xy). Your character cannot have more than two chromosomes, as such individuals have either been aborted or euthanized by this point.

1-4 intelligence is illiterate.

Technical skills apply to anything else. Put in a post for any skill you like and I'll figure out the necessary costs. For example, if you want a bow, it would be wise to invest in Technical Skill: Archery.

You can also assign your character a second language. Spanish, Arabic and Somali are good choices but you can pick anything.

You have thirty Blinkcoin (BC) to spend on gear. Blinkcoin are an illegal cryptocurrency equivalent to $30,000 USD. You may not use your gear BC to purchase stat upgrades.

Illegal objects will be marked with the {!} notation. Note that all weapons are illegal. While the wooden club could be passed off as firewood, unauthorized ignition of conflagration violates the Environmental Emission Codes.

You carry a Human Rights Uplink. The law requires all individuals over the age of five to carry a charged cellphone at all times. Free wifi is available over most the city.

Wooden Club (1 BC)
    A hefty treebranch or two-by-four makes a passable weapon.

Gnarly Metal Bits (1 BC)
    Adding shards of metal to a club increases the damage on an organic target.

Shiv (2 BC)
    An improvised skank of sharpened metal, with lengths of cord as a handle makes an easily concealed and dangerous tool. Sadly, it suffers from a short reach.

Knife (5 BC)
    Keep a knife sharp and it well serve you well, not only in battle but also for daily tasks like cutting up bushmeat.

Length-of-Pipe (4BC)
    Similar to the wooden club but much less cumbersome.

Machete (15 BC)
    Ah, the machete. Revered and loved by all.

Shoota (2 BC)
    A pistol 3D printed from plastic. Will melt after a few shots.

Bootleg Bullet (8 BC)
    A spent cartridge collected by urchins and filled by a street-chemist with some dubious mixture.

Shortbow (10 BC)
    Sometimes the old methods work best, particularly if silence is required.

PVC Arrow (2 BC)
    Inexpensive arrows crafted from wood or light plastic and competently fletched.

Rope (5BC)
    Thirty foot length. Most likely nylon.

Iron Hook (5 BC) {!}
    Mostly useful for turning a rope into a grappling hook.

Moonshine (2 BC)
    Homebrew liquor. Good for disinfecting wounds.

'Ard Stuff (3 BC)
    Imported alcohol. Diluted and repackaged. Still noticeably better than moonshine.

Beer (4 BC)
    A real beer from a real brewery.

Flashlight (5 BC)
    Useful in sewers or during one of the frequent blackouts.

Batteries (2 BC)
    These power flashlights and other electronics.

Screwdriver (2 BC) {!}
    While it has some small use in assembling hardware, the screwdriver is mainly remarkable for it's ability to dismantle just about anything with enough perseverance. Also makes a desperate weapon.

Screwdriver License (1 BC)
    Includes the serial number of the screwdriver and a photo of the license holder.

Emjay (6 BC)
    The most up to date strain of cannabis! About the size of a large coin. (Note that coins are illegal anachronisms.) Guaranteed by the government not to cause any of the nasty psychotic side affects associated with previous strains. One emjay is included in each Daily Economic Disadvantage Alleviation Ration. (Popularly referred to as 'soylent'.)

Stims (1 BC)
    A marvelous creation of the street chemists. Stims will keep you awake and alert. Chemists take no responsibility for possible side effects.

Phanastacoria (12 BC)
    This gleaming elixir has swept the Prosperous City. Each one is custom rigged to produce a different astonishing sensation.

Bottle (1 BC)
    3D printed plastic bottle.

Flask (7 BC)
    A nice piece of craftsmanship to hold your drink.

Scissors (1 BC) {!)
    These cut things. They do not make very effective weapons.

Scissor License (1 BC)
    Authorizes the bearer to possess and use any amount of scissors.

Hygiene Materials (1 BC or 2 BC if female)
    Each hygiene kit lasts one week. Failure to adhere to proper hygiene will damage CHARISMA and possibly lead to disease.

Maladjustment Certification (10 BC)
    This document demonstrates to police that your violent anti-social behavior results from poor upbringing.

Lucky Bling (1 BC)
    A necklace, bracelet or ring carved from bone, wood or plastic. Who could say no to good luck?

Chem-heat Pack (3 BC)
    Provides a bit of warmth in trying circumstances.

Binnoculars (4 BC)
    It is, of course, possible to use the zoom in feature on your cell phone but if you want to peer at a distance without Google Corp. knowing, this may serve you better.

Underwear (FREE)
    Do not neglect this.

Ragged Trousers (FREE)
    Also good.

Board Shorts (2 BC)
    Gotta be cool.

Pants (2 BC)
    Attach around waist.

Shirt (1 BC)
    Yessir. Covers the torso.

Coat (5 BC)
    Keeps a fellow warm.

Skirt (3 BC)
    All the guys are wearing them.

Hijab (FREE)
    Available at no cost at your local distro!

Niqab (1 BC)
    Useful for a womynz wishing to cross a sharia zone or wanting to conceal her face.

Ballcap (1 BC)
    Will want a hat for when the weather turns cold.

Shapka (3 BC)
    Will definitely keep your head warm but may provoke the wrath of non-slavs.

Foot Rags (FREE)
    Improvisation.

Plastic Sandals (1 BC)
    Works in Africa too.

Sports Shoes (4 BC)
    Yeeeeah!

Boots (4 BC)
    Good for stomping faces. Also for walking.

Phanastacoria is a lightweight game inspired by traditional roleplaying, similar to a play-by-post.Can you and your Codex friends survive in the Peoples' America of the 2040s? Which of you will die first? Will any make it to the end? Post in the thread that you want to play but send your send your character to me by PM. I'll post their stats but you do not want the rest of the party to see your gear. First three players receive special bonasz items.

Familiarity with the rules is not required since I'm making them up as I go along. Sign up or I'll make you an NPC. Dis gonna be glorious like you can't believe.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lithium Flower Prophet

Lithium Flower
    No ambiguity here, guv'naaar. NPC duty, prob'ly; no experience with PbP (from what I've seen people trade the role of narrator and post paragraphs at each other? Sounds unusual and scary)

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. a bear named spigot Arcane

a bear named spigot
    i'll bite. gonna work up my chump and send him over shortly.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lithium Flower Prophet

Lithium Flower
    Actually, fuck it. I figure this might be fun so I will stick around and see how complicated this really is. I might drop out if it ends up being too much time and effort though, so feel free to tell me to fuck off if you need someone more experienced or reliable.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. a bear named spigot Arcane

a bear named spigot
    yo men

^ Top  
  6. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    The only role I could play in such a thing would be the Islamic Gommunism Enforcer. With NPC you mean I get to be gutted by the PCs while I defend Motherland, Islam and Redistribution?

[​IMG]

Tell me if you need such a thing for a NPC, I'll provide you happily with the charsheet.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    what would be the costs for skills: poisons, explosives, plumbing

do effect of those stack? can I push cart full of those and expect all the luck?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Usury Arcane

Usury
    Your character is undergoing the kwan education system. Why do you expect to have skills? Will have to learn those on the way.

You can try.

^ Top  
  9. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Ait, I'll see if I can't cook up a dude within the next 24hrs

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Um... WEIGHT, is would that be mostly fat or muscle? Or carrying capacity?

Edit:
    I'd like Technical Skill: Skateboarding. How cost lah

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. a bear named spigot Arcane

a bear named spigot
    sign up, chumps. I don't want all the effort (none) and creativity (minimal) I used to come up with my character to go to waste.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Oy! MercantileInterest I know you're online. When's it coming out? I can only take so much excitement.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)